Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 REV With 500 Mile Range Is Still A Long Way Out

Ram is pressing forward with the launch of its all-electric 2025 Ram 1500 REV, even as electric pickup truck sales see a recent decline. The REV boasts impressive stats compared to its market counterparts. Built on the STLA Frame architecture, an evolution of the Ram DT architecture designed for electrification, the REV promises exceptional performance … (read full article...)

FP023_009RM-scaled-e1676226728760.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

patfromigh

Reaction score
The Ram ProMaster EV has a range of just 162 miles. That distance is fine for the market niche of urban delivery vans. It is probably adequate for suburban routes as well. The 500 mile range figure for the REV is most likely aimed at the consumer market. Commercial and fleet buyers tend to ignore the hype and look for efficiency. A Tradesman trim REV with the smaller battery pack probably will match the needs of a number municipal fleets. I have observed how the pickup trucks are used by the support services at the airport I work at. A fully electric pickup could easily handle such tasks, probably even better than gas fueled trucks. The standard battery range would be more than enough.

bill burke

Reaction score
No rush, the market is not there in most applications. As others have correctly commented, get the capacity up, price it correctly and build just enough to meet the clearly niche demand in the marketplace. Check Ford on this one.

patfromigh

Reaction score
With the Ramcharger, this is dead on arrival.
It's a truck. Sometimes trucks have commercial uses and are purchases by a small business. Some larger fleet Vehicle fleets will have a professional buyer on their staff whose job is to have complete knowledge of the company's needs and what the best solutions are to meet those needs.The last I looked, gas and diesel fuel are pretty expensive. The EV as a consumer toy idea probably has passed, but there are niches to be filled in the marketplace where battery electric or a plugin hybrid works best. I plug in our fleet's vehicles on a private charging setup. It is not public and not subject to the abuses and unreliability of public charging. Many commercial users will invest in similar solutions because for them, an EV is the better answer.

scatpack_69

Reaction score
It's a truck. Sometimes trucks have commercial uses and are purchases by a small business. Some larger fleet Vehicle fleets will have a professional buyer on their staff whose job is to have complete knowledge of the company's needs and what the best solutions are to meet those needs.The last I looked, gas and diesel fuel are pretty expensive. The EV as a consumer toy idea probably has passed, but there are niches to be filled in the marketplace where battery electric or a plugin hybrid works best. I plug in our fleet's vehicles on a private charging setup. It is not public and not subject to the abuses and unreliability of public charging. Many commercial users will invest in similar solutions because for them, an EV is the better answer.
1000% incorrect.

Fleets don’t give two hoots about the next horizon. They want reliable (relatively) and cheap. Fleets will continue purchasing the cheapest they can, and that is and will always be gas or diesel depending on usage.

Electric, as sold to us, is dead. There is. O future for it. Consumers will buy more than any fleet or commercial user will

patfromigh

Reaction score
I work for a very large fleet and keep up on the trends. Now since this thread is about the Ram REV, I'm discussing trucks close to that GVW range. The higher the GVW, the less a pure battery electric power train makes sense. The same goes for route distance. Now for a fixed route delivery area or for last mile delivery services, battery electric power is logical. Two very large fleets have bought out the first year's production of the Ram ProMaster EV. Those units cost 80 to 90K each. They aren't doing it to be trendy, gasoline and diesel fuel are no longer cheap. The days of 2-cycle Detroit Diesel engines running 5 gallons for a Dollar fuel are long past.

I find it ironic that the "last chance" muscle cars from Dodge and the Hemi Rams are stacked up on dealers lots, but it is the discontinued Chevy Bolt EV which consumers are snapping up, because it's their last chance to buy one new. Since this is a Mopar site, we only see reports on the slowest selling list and not the fastest selling.So that item has gone by unnoticed. It is beginning to look like large pickup trucks were a fad. Sales of luxury cars have taken a hit, except for the very pricey ones north of 120K. Many pickups were priced in luxury car territory and some analysts are laying the blame for falling sales on that. So when the consumers move on, who will they sell to?

I don't know what the price of the REV or Ramcharger will be or how that will play into sales. There is enough flexibility built into the STLA Frame platform to easily adjust the production mix, from fully electric to mild hybrid.

scatpack_69

Reaction score
Pickups aren’t a fad. They are the most usable vehicles to ever exist. Cars are limited, suvs are limited, crossovers are limited. Pickups can do everything well.

Electric is still largely dead. Gasoline won over a century ago, and still proves out to be the superior mode of transportation.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Large pickup trucks at luxury car prices are a fad. Exercise isn't a fad, but hula hoops were. Clothes are a necessity, but what happened to Nehru collars? People get haircuts, but what happened to mullets?

Fashions come and go. Money is tight and people are cutting back. Consumers who bought high end, large pickup trucks as a toy or fashion statement won't be coming back. Hula hoops are still sold, the mullet hair style lives on as hockey hair, and we still see the Nehru collar in other cultures. There will still be those who need pickup trucks, that's why the Ram 700 and Rampage models sell so well in Latin America. Stellantis management doesn't offer anything like those here and the products they do offer here aren't selling.

scatpack_69

Reaction score
Still wrong guy🤣 Pay attention, prices on pickups aren’t going down, and they WILL continue to sell at premium prices. I don’t know where you live, but pickups dominate here.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I blame the government run schools for a lack of reading comprehension on these forums. Barber shops haven't gone away, but they don't do many mullets anymore.

I see a lot of pickup trucks on a daily basis. I'm not counting all of the new ones at work, I expect to see those at the garage. I've been house sitting in a major urban area the past few weeks and what I see on the street are older pickups. Down the block there is a 1977 Chevy half-ton. Parked on the street in front of the nearby apartments is a 1991 Dodge Dakota. It looks like it could have just driven off a dealer's lot. It looks that good. The inside of the bed gives it away though, it's a work truck. I see a lot of older Tacos as well. The one new pickup truck I see is the TRX which a local commercial real estate owner drives. Other new pickup trucks I have noticed lately are Ford Mavericks. I see a lot of those along the main drag, along with Honda Ridgelines and Hyundai Santa Cruze.

I have yet to see any evidence of my suspicion being wrong that the market bubble of large pickup trucks has popped.

Last edited:

Mastertech63

Reaction score
I blame the government run schools for a lack of reading comprehension on these forums. Barber shops haven't gone away, but they don't do many mullets anymore.

I see a lot of pickup trucks on a daily basis. I'm not counting all of the new ones at work, I expect to see those at the garage. I've been house sitting in a major urban area the past few weeks and what I see on the street are older pickups. Down the block there is a 1977 Chevy half-ton. Parked on the street in front of the nearby apartments is a 1991 Dodge Dakota. It looks like it could have just driven off a dealer's lot. It looks that good. The inside of the bed gives it away though, it's a work truck. I see a lot of older Tacos as well. The one new pickup truck I see is the TRX which a local commercial real estate owner drives. Other new pickup trucks I have noticed lately are Ford Mavericks. I see a lot of those along the main drag, along with Honda Ridgelines and Hyundai Santa Cruze.

I have yet to see any evidence of my suspicion being wrong that the market bubble of large pickup trucks has popped.
As far as small pickups go, I also have noticed a lot of them around. I think there is still a large market for the smaller trucks. I live in an area where there is a lot of money flowing around so there is a large assortment of high end trucks on the road, TRX, Raptor, etc. , but even more of the smaller ones. Stellantis may be missing the market by not bringing the small pickup to U.S. market! I expect more people to buy these before going with EV pickups.

scatpack_69

Reaction score
What, exactly, did I “not comprehend?”

You’ve managed to fall down a rabbit hole, and you can’t get out of it. Your entire post is absolute dogsh*t as I have come to expect, and you blabbered on about old trucks. Are you senile? Jesus…

You make wild claims, talk up this mythical rental company that swung for the fences on electric, and aimlessly wallow into old trucks. Not even close to relevant. Your ability to watch trends is atrocious.

And you’re still wrong. I see hundred thousand dollar fancy trucks on the daily

patfromigh

Reaction score
You are also a blasphemer.

Ram truck sales have slowed dramatically and have stacked up on dealer lots. Employees building Ram pickups have been laid off.

Our nation's economy is in trouble and is floundering. Money is now tight and certain sectors of the automobile market are taking a hit. The news articles here at Mopar Insiders also recognize the downturn of Ram sales. Are you going to argue with those posts?

What I suspect is you have drank the Kool-Aid mixed by the main stream media that the economy has never been better and typical Americans are ungrateful and delusional. You parrot that line.

You say you see hundred thousand dollar trucks on a daily basis. It is obvious you live in an affluent area. In addition to lacking reading comprehension skills, you demonstrate limited critical thinking abilities. You can't see anything beyond the main stream media narrative and your narrow world view. You have to resort to emotional attacks when you encounter ideas which contradict your beliefs and limited mindset.

scatpack_69

Reaction score
I certainly do NOT live in an affluent area! Wrong again you are, how many times are you going to be wrong before you stop repeating stupidity?

Wrong again, I certainly don’t pay attention to main stream media. Another swing and a miss Nancy. You are yet to be correct.

The economy sucks, it’s awful, thank your buddy Biden for that.

And again, I’ll challenge you, re my supposed inability to comprehend and double down on my “lack” of critical thinking skills. You can’t even pretend to back that point up.

I live in the middle of nowhere, where trucks rule. Rodeo, ranch, farm, and many have several brand new trucks. And since the Mrs wants to ride in comfort, the majority are Laramie and higher Rams, Limited Fords and more than enough Denalis.

You’re a fail. Just like electric. What will continue is your so called luxury trucks in the 6 digit margin.

patfromigh

Reaction score
So you don't live in an affluent area, yet you see a constant stream of new high end pickup trucks. If you had critical thinking skills you would see the contradiction in what you post.

"I see hundred thousand dollar fancy trucks on the daily" <--- You said that and I referred to it.

Your posts are full of personal attacks and emotional responses. What are we to conclude from that?

scatpack_69

Reaction score
Your posts are full of assumptions, blatant bull, and deflections.

I’ve challenged you several times in YOUR comments, and you deflect. Like a dog that’s been beat, tuck and run. Tuck and run.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world realizes electric is dead, Hertz admits it (I’m sure, since you claim to be in the business, you’re aware of Hertz?). Hell, the head of the biggest EV manufacturer in the States admits electric is tanking. And you, Mr knowitall, continue to claim otherwise and spew crap about me.

And….you STILL refuse to back up your statements.

Back in your rocker old timer. Senility has taken grasp and won’t give up.

And since you feel to comment, you don’t have to be in an “affluent” area for folks to have very expensive pickups. Wealth and financing don’t always go hand in hand buckaroo

AlexB

Reaction score
So you don't live in an affluent area, yet you see a constant stream of new high end pickup trucks. If you had critical thinking skills you would see the contradiction in what you post.

"I see hundred thousand dollar fancy trucks on the daily" <--- You said that and I referred to it.

Your posts are full of personal attacks and emotional responses. What are we to conclude from that?
Yeah, United States is bigger than one persons area of living.
May I also add Fleets in CA & CARB will be ground zero for EV.

patfromigh

Reaction score
For the record, Hertz still rents EVs and features them online and in their ads. Their banner in the airport rental car facility proudly displays this. According to Hertz management, at that time, the reason they were cancelling the Tesla deal was the price cuts by Tesla combined with the high repair costs. The announcement of the Hertz Tesla breakup was only a day or two before an arctic cold front plunged the temperature in Chicago into a deep freeze. The result was national headlines featuring such phrases as "Robot Graveyards" and "Dead Robots" accompanied by photos of various, lifeless, Tesla cars. These combined events marked the shift in the public's perception of battery electric vehicles.

Now as far as the topic of this thread, the Ram REV, it has some formidable hurdles to cross. Money is tight, while the low resale value of battery electric vehicles makes financing one even more difficult. There is a notable lack of supporting infrastructure for EVs in North America. The Ram REV will have even more of a challenge since Stellantis did not buy into the Tesla charging network as Ford and GM have.

Because pickup trucks are expected to have high towing capacity and typically cover longer distances than say a delivery van or a taxi cab, previous failed attempts of electric pickup trucks failed.The Chevy Silverado EvV and the Ford F-150 Lightning are now labeled losers due to a very limited range when loaded or towing, along with dismal sales figures. Can the Ram truck people overcome the engineering and marketing challenges?

Users who are viewing this thread