Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on 4XE powertrain

nickd

Reaction score
I'm getting conflicting information from dealers and would like a clear answer. Given the new 4XE options are now limiting what I can buy (no more ICE Trail hawk GC) and no ability to add offroad options to any model GC I have some questions. I use my GC to tow. Boats mostly. anywhere from 3500-6000Lb's. My 2014 GC Ecodiesel towed everything with ease. I see the towing specs on the 4XE but what I don't see is the operation and specs once the battery is depleted.

1. Does the 4XE maintain the same HP/Torque when in hybrid mode?
  2. How does Hybrid mode operate? is it still driving via electric motors and battery all the time even though the battery is depleted?
  3. Is the Hybrid always active without a charged battery?
  4. Once the load is removed, will the engine charge the battery under normal non-towing so the unit wont need to be plugged in?
  5. Can I expect the same towing and range specs?
  6. Thoughts on the longevity of the tiny 2.0L DI turbo under load?

My inclination is to say that I will be stressing this motor to its maximum when towing. Especially if its hilly.

Thoughts?

TripleT

Reaction score
1. 15% of the battery is reserved for Hybrid function. I suppose if one were to Do a prolonged spirited driving you could deplete the battery but that would be rare. The confusion is that EV mode or PHEV 0 miles to 28 miles or 1% to 100% is actually 15% to 100% on the battery.

2. Again, it aims through regen breaking and generator to as 15% level for Hybrid operation. When it is in Hybrid mode it leans toward PHEV using the powertrain that is most efficient until it reaches 1% or 16% then acts as a pure hybrid. The vehicle has no torque converter so it must have some charge to operate. That is that invisible 15%.

3. AGAIN it has a 15% buffer for Hybrid operation where a non-PHEV would have a single battery with the 15% capacity.

4. It works to always have the 15% so when demand is removed it will work to maintain that. It will not Charge to 100% unless you use the esave mode.... but that is least efficient way to Charge the battery. Just plug it in. to get that 85%.

5. I don't tow but most people on forums have been pleased with its performance.

6. The Hurricane is a very potent and durable engine. There are versions north of 325hp. Good engine.... no ticking.

It's not but people who tow do suggest using higher octane fuel. Especially for higher elevations. Turbo engines tend to better then NA in that enviroment regardless

nickd

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.....Its a shame NOT ONE sales person knows any of this....Not that I am surprised. What worries me is the longevity of a small 2.0L DI motor. Not a fan of DI at the moment as they have some major issues as they age. Not a fan either of spinning that motor to get the same HP and TQ specs that a larger motor can achieve. No one wants to use Premium gas either.

I would love that new Hurricane I6 Turbo. more torque and power with better economy than the Hemi (Its an oK motor but i'd still take my ecodiesel over it any day).

What really bothers me is that I cant get a trailhawk unless i get a 4xE. to make matters worse, Jeep is starting to play games with packages and options that do nothing but drive the base costs through the roof. You cant order an off road anything on a GC now unless you get a Trailhawk 4XE as of the last time i checked the website a few days ago...sad..

TripleT

Reaction score
DI is here to stay.. Pretty sure your diesel has that also.

The Hurricane has been very durable.

87 is the standard for engine. Only use Premium, when towing in high altitudes. Which isn't bad idea in a NA engine either.

Realize that the fines for hemi are making too hard to include.

As for Salemen. Yeah damn shame. It doesn't seem that complicated to me.

nickd

Reaction score
Agreed...DI has been in diesels forever....but not in Gas and thats the issue...Now the new diesels are having problems too...all due to EGR.....I just drove my diesel much harder. The Grocery getter drivers had tons of issues...

Ive concluded that sales people are sales people....they sell vehicles one day and pencils the next.....Most cant tell you anything other than how to start it....

Hopefully the hurricane will be a reliable engine. and I hope that Jeep will stop playing games with options and let people order what they want instead of being forced to order tons of options for the 1 they really care about or in the case of the off-road gear, restrict it to a single model 4xE which to me is just plain stupid.

Time will tell.....

Right now.....Lots of inventory and few buyers...

TripleT

Reaction score
No following the logic, proven tech is proven tech it is not new, just finding something to worry about near as I can tell.

The biggest concern with PHEV is integration issue.

NOPE not even enough inventory to get through the upcoming strike. Don't fall for the Youtube click bait headlines. There is a reason for high inventory levels and it across all UAW OEMS.

Last edited:

SAF20016

Reaction score
In my life I've purchased three new cars, all Chrysler or Jeep vehicles. I like to say I buy Chrysler/Jeep products despite the dealers and sales staff.

annieginter

Reaction score
DI is here to stay.. Pretty sure your diesel has that also.

The Hurricane has been very durable.

87 is the standard for engine. Only use Premium, when towing in high altitudes. Which isn't bad idea in a NA engine either.

Realize that the fines for hemi are making too hard to include.

As for Salemen. Yeah damn shame. It doesn't seem that geometry dash subzero complicated to me.
Can you explain why using a higher octane fuel may be necessary in certain situations? What are situations?

TripleT

Reaction score
Can you explain why using a higher octane fuel may be necessary in certain situations? What are situations?
not necessary.... just may be preferable Towing and High altitudes .... Not bad for an engine that started life needing 91 octane in the Alfa. That of course has multi-air. high compression ratios and increased work loads.. But not required at all the engine is mapped for 87,

Users who are viewing this thread