Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PSA 1.6 liter PureTech

patfromigh

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have any solid information on the PSA 1.6 liter, four cylinder PureTech engine? This power plant is going to be built in the Dundee, Michigan facility. Ready or not, here it comes to North America.

What vehicles will the 1.6 be used with?

TripleT

Reaction score
not as good as the fiat engines. This is an odd decision with substantial PSA bias.

AlexB

Reaction score
not as good as the fiat engines. This is an odd decision with substantial PSA bias.
The only item such engine could go into is the next generation Compass.

pumadog

Reaction score
According to insiders in the autopareri.com forums, the upcoming 1.6 PHEV is a new engine, a 4 cylinder evolution from the 1.2 PureTech (EB) engine — not to be confused with the existing 1.6 PHEV (EP/Prince by PSA/BMW).

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Everything in Europe now is done with a PSA bias. Same in LATAM. The new Fiat compact pick-up is a rebadge of a Peugeot pick-up that doesn't sell well in Brazil.
This will all be moot in 5 years anyway in Europe since EVs will be majority of the market anyway.

pumadog

Reaction score
Well there's a simple reason for that: Lack of ongoing projects at FCA Italy. And reading/watching European reviews of the Tonale – which all point to the engine/transmission options as the one weak point of a good product – I'd prefer to have new PureTech powertrains in it. Are the GSE powertrains good at all?

Haven't driven neither MHEV myself yet.

pumadog

Reaction score
Might be right, but doesn't help. In contrast to the 1.5 GSE MHEV Stellantis has in-house transmissions for the 1.2 MHEV. It's really irritating that every Tonale engine option has a different, badly tuned 3rd party transmission type. Maybe, if FCA invested in proper solutions for the 1.5 it would be all fine, like the great 2.0 GME/8 Speed combo. Do you know the reason why they went from the fairly new 1.3 GSE to 1.5 for the MHEV?

jorisr

Reaction score
Everything in Europe now is done with a PSA bias. Same in LATAM. The new Fiat compact pick-up is a rebadge of a Peugeot pick-up that doesn't sell well in Brazil.
This will all be moot in 5 years anyway in Europe since EVs will be majority of the market anyway.
Not true for LATAM.
FCA´s GSE engines will be going into everything.
For instance the brand new latam Citroen C3 on the new smart car platform uses a 1.0 firefly.
It makes sense for Europe as going forward the only ICE vehicles being introduced will be CMP based, EMP2 based or STLA Medium Based. All of these platform are basically PSA developments.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The eFlite hybrid transmission used in the Pacifica PHEV is very close in size to the 9-speed automatic found in the regular minivans, Fiat 500X and the Jeep Renegade. I don't know why it hasn't been used beyond the minivan.

TripleT

Reaction score
The eFlite hybrid transmission used in the Pacifica PHEV is very close in size to the 9-speed automatic found in the regular minivans, Fiat 500X and the Jeep Renegade. I don't know why it hasn't been used beyond the minivan.
???? I thought it was CVT of sorts.... I am a fan of the torque converter way more, I even prefer the rear wheels only over the CVT solution. CVTs have a horrible durability history.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The eFlite, Toyota and Ford electronic continuous variable transmissions found in hybrids all have planetary gears. These designs are all descended from the original TRW research project started following the Suez Crisis of the 1950s. The variable part is derived from the electric motors, there are no pulleys.

The Toyota offers an e-axle rear electric motor as an option on many of its hybrids, proving a conventional transmission isn't needed for a rear wheels system.

Users who are viewing this thread