Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meet The Range Extending 2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger Pickup

Ram has unveiled its updated 2025 Ram 1500 (DT) lineup, featuring the all-new Ram 1500 Ramcharger. Previously referred to as the Ram 1500 REV XR, this model represents a significant advancement in electric pickup technology, addressing current market challenges. So, how does this electrified Ram 1500 differ from the new Ram 1500 REV? The 2025 … (read full article...)

RM025_107FNt7c94ckfemlofssl5af6crtmsg.jpeg

TripleT

Reaction score
@riderbob is V6 the miller cycle powerplant from the Minivan

cgseller

Reaction score
Good question @TripleT if the Pacifica is the genesis of this model.

I'm surprised if it is All Electric drivetrain, why it needed a v6 for charging. I guess if you want to accomplish 14k towing you need something to produce some serious kW. Does that leave open the opportunity for a 4 or 3 cylinder model that has a lower tow rating in the single K? MPGe or whatever it would be ratings would be good to know. I imagine the efficiency of the engine may be good since it can control RPMs well.

TripleT

Reaction score
Good question @TripleT if the Pacifica is the genesis of this model.

I'm surprised if it is All Electric drivetrain, why it needed a v6 for charging. I guess if you want to accomplish 14k towing you need something to produce some serious kW. Does that leave open the opportunity for a 4 or 3 cylinder model that has a lower tow rating in the single K? MPGe or whatever it would be ratings would be good to know. I imagine the efficiency of the engine may be good since it can control RPMs well.
I suppose the V6 NA can run a constant speed and load.... won't spool the a turbo if you used the small engines. I just thought from a packaging and weight perspective the smaller engines would be preferable.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Miller cycle uses a mechanically driven supercharger. The Pacifica PHEV V6 runs Atkinson cycle because it is naturally aspirated. Conventional turbocharging is not practical for running in a Miler cycle engine because of the lack of boost at low RPM. The irony of the Miller cycle is the parasitic drag of a mechanical supercharger hurts efficiency. Mazda found this out when they briefly offered a Miller cycle V6 in one of their products sold here. The ideal solution is an e-charger which uses an electric motor to drive an impeller. That I know of, no one has offered an e-charger on a production engine. E-charging needs a higher voltage than 12 volts to have acceptable performance levels, the concept really took off with the advent of 48 volts, and of course the high voltage PHEV sytems have more than enough.

TripleT

Reaction score
Miller cycle uses a mechanically driven supercharger. The Pacifica PHEV V6 runs Atkinson cycle because it is naturally aspirated. Conventional turbocharging is not practical for running in a Miler cycle engine because of the lack of boost at low RPM. The irony of the Miller cycle is the parasitic drag of a mechanical supercharger hurts efficiency. Mazda found this out when they briefly offered a Miller cycle V6 in one of their products sold here. The ideal solution is an e-charger which uses an electric motor to drive an impeller. That I know of, no one has offered an e-charger on a production engine. E-charging needs a higher voltage than 12 volts to have acceptable performance levels, the concept really took off with the advent of 48 volts, and of course the high voltage PHEV sytems have more than enough.
haha sorry I mixed up my obscure Mazda engines yes Atkinson cycle.... sorry

patfromigh

Reaction score
Here are the specifications for the Pentastar V6 in the Pacifica Hybrid. I'm posting this as a reference only. I have no idea what the specs are for the Ramcharger V6 engine, but in the press release it states, "The 2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger features a 92 kilowatt-hour (kWh) battery pack, paired with an on-board 130 kW generator, sending power to 250-kilowatt (kW) front and 238 kW rear electric drive modules (EDMs)." The Pacifica hybrid V6 is 194kW. The compression ratio is 12.5 to one as compared to 11.3 to one in the PUG V6. I hope more information on the Ramcharger's ICE generator will be released.

ENGINE: 3.6-LITER PENTASTAR V-6 EHYBRID (ATKINSON CYCLE)
Availability: Standard on hybrid models

Type and Description: 60-degree dual overhead cam engine
Displacement: 220 cu. in. (3,605 cu. cm)
Bore x Stroke: 96mm x 83mm

Valve System: 24-valve, end pivot roller finger followers and continuous variable-valve timing on both intake and exhaust cams; chain-driven

Fuel System: Port-fuel injection (PFI)

Construction: High-pressure die-cast A380 aluminum block with iron liners and semi-permanent mold A319 aluminum heads

Compression Ratio: 12.5:1

Total System Power: Estimated 260 (194 kW) hp

Fuel Requirement Unleaded regular, 87 octane, or E0 to E15

Emission Controls: Integrated cast-aluminum header manifolds; positive crankcase ventilation; intake and exhaust cam phasers; evaporative emissions system
Source: Stellantis Media North America

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
This is an amazing surprise. And the best of both worlds. Serial hybrid with a still quite big battery? Awesome.
Hopefully it can get the $7500 rebate. Very well done Stellantis.

Users who are viewing this thread