Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maserati super sports car - Project M240

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
This is what was known as Alfa 8C in the last 5 year plan.

Carbon fiber monocoque with front and rear aluminum subframes.

It should have P2P4 PHEV and BEV versions. Not sure about P2 MHEV.

For PHEV it will have a V6 90° engine capable of 625 PS. It will be mated to a dual clutch transmission with integrated (P2) electric motor. In addition to this at the front there will be additional electric motor.

Total power in excess of 700 PS, very likely close to 800 PS.

Frankenstein mule has appeared on the roads.

maserati-sports-car-spy-shots1.jpgmaserati-sports-car-spy-shots2.jpgmaserati-sports-car-spy-shots4.jpgmaserati-sports-car-spy-shots3.jpg

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
A new camouflaged Maserati spotted on the streets of Modena. The engine is 100% Maserati.

Modena, 20 November 2019 – The first “mule” for the development of the new Maserati powertrain was driven out of the Viale Ciro Menotti gates, in Modena today.

The “mules” - as they are known in the automotive industry - of a new Maserati model have a special wrap that echoes the “Save the Date” teaser sent out ahead of the event scheduled for May 2020.

The experimental vehicles are equipped with a new powertrain entirely developed and built in Maserati and will be the forefather of a new family of engines integrated exclusively on the vehicles of the Brand.

The data acquired through the kilometres covered by the mules will be integrated with the experience gathered in the Maserati Innovation Lab driving simulators, the most advanced in the world. This working methodology will then be used to fine-tune and develop the prototypes with final bodywork and mechanics.

https://media.maserati.com/en-ww/releases/1524

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
This is what is needed for Alfa as well. They need to keep feeding out news, keeping it relevant.

Since Harald Wester has taken over Maserati in October 2018 he made a lot of managerial changes.

One of the changes was naming Jean-Philippe Leloup as Maserati Sales and Marketing Chief who leads new organization called Maserati Commercial.
Jean-Philippe worked for Ferrari for 13 year before joining Maserati.

From what I've heard FCA is pissed off with what Reid Bigland did with Maserati. He treated Maserati as a non exclusive brand and named managers according to it.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I've found an interesting post on a FB page Alfa Tipo 949.

La nuova supersportiva a motore centrale Maserati, codice di progetto M240, deriva dal progetto di Alfa 8C. Il suo motore non è un motore al 100% Maserati come sostiene il PR Maserati nel suo comunicato stampa, ma un derivato del 2.9 V6 Alfa Romeo più noto come "Termoli", una variante high rev con doppia accensione TwinSpark da 625cv con assemblaggio finale a Modena. Il progetto originale di Maserati Alfieri con una piattaforma in alluminio di concezione simile a quella usata da modelli Ferrari è stato bocciato da Mike Manley che ha deciso di usare il progetto della vettura per i 110 anni di Alfa Romeo, l'Alfa 8C, come halo model della nuova gamma Maserati. Speriamo che Mike Manley e i suoi consiglieri siano allontanati il più presto possibile, e speriamo che Carlos Tavares abbia una visione migliore per Alfa Romeo.
La vettura nelle foto è un mulotipo.

The New Maserati Central Engine -, code project code comes from the ALFA 8 C project. Its engine is not a 100 % Maserati engine as it supports the PR Maserati in its press release, but a derivative of the 2.9 V6 Alfa Romeo more known as "termoli", a high rev variant with double ignition twinspark 625 HP with final assembly in Modena. The Original project of Maserati Alfieri with an aluminum platform of conception similar to that used by Ferrari models was rejected by Mike Manley who decided to use the project of the car for the 110 years of Alfa Romeo, the alfa 8C, Like halo model of the new Maserati range. Let's hope Mike Manley and his advisors are away as soon as possible, and hopefully Carlos Tavares has a better vision for Alfa Romeo.
The car in the photos is a mulotipo.

Mopar392

Reaction score
I don't understand the complain about Mike Manley..
I thought the proposed Alfa 8C was going to use a carbon-fiber monocoque chassis, which should be better than Alfieri's original aluminum platform.

pumadog

Reaction score
They complain because it's an Alfa fan site and under Manley several Alfa projects have been killed/paused. Has nothing to do with the outcome for Maserati's sportscar IMHO.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Maserati fans are not happy either. They wanted 911 killer.

Mopar392

Reaction score
They complain because it's an Alfa fan site and under Manley several Alfa projects have been killed/paused. Has nothing to do with the outcome for Maserati's sportscar IMHO.

If I remember, Alfa was supposed to compete in the D-segment and below for both cars and crossovers, while Maserati takes the competition from the E-segments and upward.
Even though Alfa showed a plan for a couple of sports car in the 5-year or investors' plan, but an Alfa's FR sports car would compete with Maserati's GT car, and Alfa's MR sports car would compete with Ferrari's.

Maserati fans are not happy either. They wanted 911 killer.

Alfieri concept was a GT car. Maserati never showed a true-911 killer.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
If I remember, Alfa was supposed to compete in the D-segment and below for both cars and crossovers, while Maserati takes the competition from the E-segments and upward.
Even though Alfa showed a plan for a couple of sports car in the 5-year or investors' plan, but an Alfa's FR sports car would compete with Maserati's GT car, and Alfa's MR sports car would compete with Ferrari's.

Alfieri concept was a GT car. Maserati never showed a true-911 killer.

Alfa C, D and E. Maserati E and F. So overlap was planned for E segment.
But they are different car makers, different audience. Alfa is a premium brand while Maserati is a luxury brand. Different base price and aura.

911 rival or killer? Yes, it could be a front mid engine with a transaxle (transmission at the back).
It's all about feeling and handling. It can be achieved with a transaxle scheme.
In my opinion aluminum spacframe Alfieri produced in Torino/Turin was suitable to take on 911. Of course 911 still has various versions. From Carrera, than Turbo, all the way to a track oriented versions.

This M240 is on the other hand a very special product with very special and expensive autoclave carbon monocoque. It will be assembled in small numbers in Modena. Most likely without track oriented and surely without entry level versions.
Nothing more than a halo car.

Don't forget that Ferrari is taking on 911 Turbo and its versions with a new Ferrari Roma.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't remember if it's for 4C or M240. Maximum volume of 2k per year at 4 year duration.

Mopar392

Reaction score
Wasn’t Maserati’s sports car that going to have a sibling from Dodge? At that time, Maserati Sports car was going to have an aluminum chassis. Is Dodge Sports car still going to happen with Maserati CF monocoque??

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Wasn’t Maserati’s sports car that going to have a sibling from Dodge? At that time, Maserati Sports car was going to have an aluminum chassis. Is Dodge Sports car still going to happen with Maserati CF monocoque??

Know nothing about Dodge. It sounds unlikely to me. Even more than 8C.

I can not talk about unofficial part because I don't know enough. There was various rumors. Joint aluminium platform development, further evolution of LX with lower center of gravity and more modern materials but also a lot of aluminium use...

The only publicly available documents with pictures/CAD of a Maserati Alfieri were present in the latest 5 year plan. IMO, connection with Ferrari Portfolio platform was more than obvious.
That said platforms were not identical.

Users who are viewing this thread