Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maserati Grecale protoype media drive

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
In Europe media outlets got behind the wheel of Maserati Grecale prototype.

If I'm not mistaken version in question was 2.0 mild hybrid with 300 HP and 450 Nm of torque between 2000 and 4000 rpm. It has electric supercharger plus a classic mono scroll turbocharger.
It's capable of reaching 100 km/h in 5.6 seconds from standstill. Vmax is 240 km/h.

They are saying that legroom is class leading. No wonder because car is similar in size to Porsche Cayenne albeit being officially in class of Porsche Macan.

Exterior dimensions are also out:
  • length 4846 mm (+159 vs Stelvio)
  • wheelbase 2901 mm (+83 vs Stelvio)
  • height 1670 mm (+22 mm vs Stelvio)
  • width 1948 mm (+45 mm vs Stelvio)

Mopar392

Reaction score
If the car is the size of Cayenne and competing with Macan, wouldn’t this engine be underpowered for its weight?

Why didn’t they use a twin scroll turbo instead of the mono scroll?
I know this engine was used before in other Maserati’s but this car would be an opportunity to upgrade the engine.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
If the car is the size of Cayenne and competing with Macan, wouldn’t this engine be underpowered for its weight?

Why didn’t they use a twin scroll turbo instead of the mono scroll?
I know this engine was used before in other Maserati’s but this car would be an opportunity to upgrade the engine.

Because this cars weighs as Q5 or X3 while size is closer to X5 or almost the same as Cayenne.
Giorgio platform brings some benefits to Italian SUV models. With Inline 4 engines Stelvio is 150 to 250 kg lighter than direct competitors.
Grecale used this advantage to grow bigger.

Mono scroll makes perfect sense because for low and mid rpm there is electric supercharger. This is a twincharger scheme.

Mopar392

Reaction score
Because this cars weighs as Q5 or X3 while size is closer to X5 or almost the same as Cayenne.
Giorgio platform brings some benefits to Italian SUV models. With Inline 4 engines Stelvio is 150 to 250 kg lighter than direct competitors.
Grecale used this advantage to grow bigger.

Mono scroll makes perfect sense because for low and mid rpm there is electric supercharger. This is a twincharger scheme.
Make sense if it is lightweight.

Even with electric supercharger, you can still use twin-scroll to overlap boost in the mid range and push more in the higher zone.
But again, in 300hp range, the mono-scroll turbo is sufficient.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
They are saying that with 300 HP engine Grecale should hut 100 km/h from a standstill in 5.6 seconds.
For 280 HP Stelvio it's 5.7 seconds.

This engine exists in 330 HP version for Levante and Ghibli.

iDrive

Reaction score
No wow effect about interiors… Lake of luxury for me. But it’s an entry level version. I hope higher trim level with more wood or metal (aluminium, carbon) in the cabin.

2.0 MHEV engine useless with poor expected sales in Europe and US. Maybe in Cina but I don’t think so. Lake of PHEV version…

iDrive

Reaction score
For the rest, like other Giorgio derivatives, it will certainly be an engineering masterpeace.

Users who are viewing this thread