Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jean-Philippe Imparato's strategy for Alfa Romeo

Mopar392

Reaction score
How is this change to STLA platform going to affect the US vehicles?

The new Grand Cherokee is based on a Giorgio architecture/platform. The upcoming Challenger and Charger were supposed to be built on Giorgio hybrid platform.

I hope the medium STLA is just a renamed Giorgio. Alfa Guilia and Stlevio were herald because of the handling characteristics due to Giorgio underpinning.

If STLA is just a renamed CMP/EMP platforms, Alfa/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep are doomed, and welcome to just another appliances on the road .

cygnus

Reaction score
It won't in the short term. TBD on anything after 2024.

TripleT

Reaction score
Platform with different build locations isn't a platform.

cygnus

Reaction score
How about the folks with the big financial stake in it show us their work first? Sorry, but this is just so much kowtowing to corporate money men "gaslighting" the workforce and the nations into accepting less for their labor and not affording them the pride of workmanship in something with their identity on it, let alone the means to afford it, in the case of vehicles for the working class market. Henry Ford had this figured out a century ago. The National Academy of Sciences debunked this thinking in the early 90s with Dispelling the Manufacturing Myth: American Factories Can Compete in the Global Marketplace (1992)

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I was trying to talk in terms of where profits will come from for future vehicles in Europe, in relation to how competitive future Stellantis vehicles with PSA designs (subtext being, they wont). Bili has said the PSA is profitable, which is news to me - I need to dig more into the financial statements. It sounds, based on his explanation, that this profitability is in large part due to

1) french nationalism
2) bare bone cost cutting

neither of which are sustainable or are part of the values of a company I want to buy vehicles from. Hopefully Tavares keeps his hands off Grand Cherokee/Grand Wagoneer.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
  • "Before we can exploit [China], we need solidity in Europe and the USA".
Yes. Starting with the failure of quality control. While I thought the Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio was an awesome car, I hated its quirky radio controls and the Alfa Romeo reliability. Damn thing had to be picked up by a wrecker after three days after it had a massive electrical meltdown.

1619211617118.png

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Alfa quality needs much more attention.
I'm member of some Club Forums. I haven't seen much issues in Europe. Not even at the start of sales. Some ECU flashes at the very beginning but that's it. Most issues where with petrol engines and they solved it very quickly.

Most cars here in Europe are with 2.2 diesel units and with them there were no issues.

Very often ECU flashes are nothing uncommon for premium (luxury in US) car segment. Germans do it.

For me quality is not an issue but dealership experience is.

Tony K

Reaction score
Most cars here in Europe are with 2.2 diesel units and with them there were no issues.
ZERO ARs in the US are diesels. The bigger issues seem to be with QV units anyway. On top of all that, US emissions requirements create a different requirement for programming of emissions control systems, and one has to wonder if US ECU programs were done haphazardly.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Case in point - the sub $40K PHEV offering from Stellantis in Europe is a DS PHEV, starting in Q4 2021, and lacks AWD.

The Germans have more expensive PHEVs that have AWD - guess who will generate the most profit in EU on PHEVs in 2021 and 2022?

DS9? Are you talking about it or something else? It's a Chinese special which is overpriced in Europe. No doubt about it. So far this year DS has the most issues out of any ex-PSA brands. Heck it's even more problematic than Alfa in Europe. And DS has recently updated and electrified models which is something what Alfa lacks.

So maybe you can understand my frustration with their desire of keeping DS brand alive. IMO they should put all of their bets on Alfa and Maserati while simultaneously elevatinf picture of Peugeot brand.

Imperato's statement about not coming to AR as a career move acknowledges that understanding.

Imparato is not telling the truth very often.

This move, of course if he gets it right, is a career defining moment, it's something which can with his age put him at Stellantis CEO seat in 5 years time.

The French market (read all Eurpean home markets) won't see it this way. It's not just a French government interest. The French government has a stake because the French voter makes that possible. That's why Stellantis exists - lessen French power. But you can lessen French power all you want, and it doesn't change the parochial nature of the European auto market. Germany isn't much better. Opels sold as company cars in Germany will of necessity be built in Germany, for example. European businesses understand taking care of yourself and family first. Personally purchased vehicles may have a better chance of being manufactured in China, especially the economy segments. Frenchmen are not going to take kindly to building Italian cars, ESPECIALLY if they're not also building French cars on the same lines, and DEFINITELY not if the French car is perceived to be inferior. Likewise in Italy and Germany and in like respects.

French state is here it seems. It's very much involved. Search something about Euro 7 and how French Minister and Stellantis CEO have acted together and are calling for abandonment of Euro 7 idea which according to them would be a death of internal combustion engine. Euro 7 is pushed by Green parties and maybe even by Germans and would come into effect as soon as 2025.

Company cars? Interesting! PSA doesn't like company car idea very much. They are pushing for retail sales. I'm not sure if you've read carefully what Imparato said about Tonale's sales goals in the EU. He wants fleet sales at as much as 45%. Some articles said 10% but it should be a typo.

PSA Groupe was king of retail sales in Europe. I believe that it's also due to French market where lease and company cars are not so popular as in Germany. So can it be applied on Tonale?

One slide from the latest Stellantis presentation doesn't put much fate into powertrain side, to me Nidec and Punch seems like a ultimate cost cut solutions:
View attachment 4453

Ah yes, it was already in "PSA" presentation 2 months ago:
6.jpg

Basically French have made all of FCA electrification efforts useless. They are expensive. That's what I heard.

But at this moment both FCA and PSA are buying electrification technology. None of them have it in the house, supply chain in the house.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I was trying to talk in terms of where profits will come from for future vehicles in Europe, in relation to how competitive future Stellantis vehicles with PSA designs (subtext being, they wont). Bili has said the PSA is profitable, which is news to me - I need to dig more into the financial statements. It sounds, based on his explanation, that this profitability is in large part due to

1) french nationalism
2) bare bone cost cutting

neither of which are sustainable or are part of the values of a company I want to buy vehicles from. Hopefully Tavares keeps his hands off Grand Cherokee/Grand Wagoneer.

French market is very specific. They are not after sophisticated mechanical solutions, they are not after premium (luxury in US) brands, they are after chic cars.

So how car looks means almost everything for them. No wonder that Groupe PSA has made so much effort on stylistic car differentiation, both on the inside and on the outside. They are spending very little to none to differentiate cars mechanically except for fine tuning.

Or Opel profitability. Some costs were taken by GM and it's like that to this day. In addition to this they put almost all the risks on dealerships. I posted a topic where some French Opel dealers said that PSA is pushing them out of business. So it's not all rosy in PSA's world.

But what makes me nervous is obvious push from PSA's side of Stellantis to do almost all as PSA was doing. Electrification plans, car platform plans... And they want to make them worldwide. Company which failed in 2 out of 3 of their major regions.

We'll see how many FCA's policy will they take. So far it looks that PSA's philosophy is prevailing.

I don't want to say that everything is bad from PSA. I'm full of praise for their marketing and also retail sales channel. They are good at it. Yet somehow CFO of Stellantis came from FCA's side. Go figure.

ZERO ARs in the US are diesels. The bigger issues seem to be with QV units anyway. On top of all that, US emissions requirements create a different requirement for programming of emissions control systems, and one has to wonder if US ECU programs were done haphazardly.

It could be but I'm not sure why would they differ so much unless some ECU operations are forbidden in US and not in EU and vice versa.

2.0 turbo issues were solved long ago.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
AN Europe:

Imparato said Alfa's problems were not caused by its lineup. "Our current two models are fantastic," he said.

He declined to discuss further product announcements, except to say that the brand should only enter segments where it can make the right volumes and the right profits. "Every investment must bring a positive return," he said.

Alfa is working on a new 5-year plan, which will be presented once it is approved and financed by Stellantis, and on a longer-term one, looking at a 10-year time span. Unlike his predecessors, Imparato will not disclose the 5-year plan in full.

"I will not make promises I can't fulfill. At the end of each year we will unveil the following year's program," he said.

Another break with the past is that no volume target for Alfa will be disclosed publicly. This is in line with the practice at PSA.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
One question to you all.

Originally Tonale was planned to go into production in Diesel->PHEV->MHEV sequence. What has changed? Which one will go into production first and which one will follow? Imparato said that focus is on retail sales.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Press events these days are usually held at more than one occasion.

The most advanced version is?

cygnus

Reaction score
There could be region specific introductions/press releases for Tonale, similar to what they did for the 2022 Jeep Compass.

KrisW

Reaction score
I think diesel has a limited future in Europe at this size of car and smaller. Customers increasingly want MHEV and, especially, PHEV versions, as these have the superior driveability and NHV characteristics of petrol combined with the lower consumption of a diesel. Running weight is not a concern for 99% of buyers - after all, they were already happy to take the weight penalty of a diesel engine if it saved fuel (and at least PHEVs distribute the extra weight better).

Our next car will be a BEV, as range is not an issue for our household driving needs and the car can charge overnight. If had to return to my previous pattern of doing 250 mile round-trips, I'd consider adding a Tonale PHEV, when it arrives, rather than the diesel, to the driveway. And this is in a country where diesel fuel is around 10% cheaper than gasoline. I think the daily-rental fleets will keep buying diesels, but for private buyers, hybrids are making big inroads.

@cygnus - 2022 Compass was launched in phases because it's built at multiple factories: the new model was launched in a market when it came online at the local factory supplying that market. Tonale will be single-sourced from Pomigliano d'Arco.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I think diesel has a limited future in Europe at this size of car and smaller. Customers increasingly want MHEV and, especially, PHEV versions, as these have the superior driveability and NHV characteristics of petrol combined with the lower consumption of a diesel. Running weight is not a concern for 99% of buyers - after all, they were already happy to take the weight penalty of a diesel engine if it saved fuel (and at least PHEVs distribute the extra weight better).

Modern diesel engines weigh roughly the same as petrol. Just compare 2.2 diesel and 2.0 petrol for Giulia and Stelvio. Weight difference is lesser than 10 kg, more like 5 kg.
Of course if some puts cast iron 2.0 diesel and compares it to aluminum 1.5 petrol then difference will be huge, it could be as much as 70 kilos, maybe even more.

I'm talking what fits Alfa. 2.0 petrol could fit it perfectly as performance oriented version.

Hybrids are superb in towns but for long haulers diesel is still way to go.

There could be region specific introductions/press releases for Tonale, similar to what they did for the 2022 Jeep Compass.

Yes but not exactly as for Compass.

Tony K

Reaction score
Hybrids are superb in towns but for long haulers diesel is still way to go.
Not really. If I only had one vehicle, I'd go with a hybrid right now. Even better if it's a PHEV, as my longest daily commute in a Pacifica PHEV would be all electric out, and barring a charging station availability, comes back in ICE mode, gets about 30 MPG in hybrid mode. On a RT you get about 56 MPG, or more realistically, high 40s. That's in a nearly 5000 lb/2250 kg vehicle.

Last edited:

pumadog

Reaction score
I'l be glad when all the unnecessary rattling diesels have left the streets. MINI One D and sorts of. :D

Tony K

Reaction score
I'l be glad when all the unnecessary rattling diesels have left the streets. MINI One D and sorts of. :D
Anything smaller than 2.8 VM is a toy. My Liberty CRD sounded like a Kubota tractor standing by it idling. 😎 I'm a farm kid, and thought it was pretty cool. Not Cummins B cool, let alone 3406 CAT cool, but that diesel rumble is sweet done right. I do NOT like "rolling coal," but Dad's old IHC tractor (5488, last of the pre-CaseIH 2WDs) with the DT466 certainly will under full load if you set the fuel screw right. It will also eat that pulling gear.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
AN Europe:

Imparato said Alfa's problems were not caused by its lineup. "Our current two models are fantastic," he said.

He declined to discuss further product announcements, except to say that the brand should only enter segments where it can make the right volumes and the right profits. "Every investment must bring a positive return," he said.

Alfa is working on a new 5-year plan, which will be presented once it is approved and financed by Stellantis, and on a longer-term one, looking at a 10-year time span. Unlike his predecessors, Imparato will not disclose the 5-year plan in full.

"I will not make promises I can't fulfill. At the end of each year we will unveil the following year's program," he said.

Another break with the past is that no volume target for Alfa will be disclosed publicly. This is in line with the practice at PSA.
That to me is a very positive way to manage Alfa. Less talk and more results. That way he is not setting unrealistic expectations like Marchionne did and any sales increase will be perceived as positive.

Users who are viewing this thread