Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is The Dodge Charger Daytona Doomed In The Current Market?

Is The Dodge Charger Daytona Doomed In The Current Market?​

With EVs Struggling, Is The New eMuscle Car Doomed Before It Launches?​

2024-Dodge-Charger-Daytona-Scat-Pack-in-Triple-Nickel.-Dodge.-5.jpeg

The automotive industry is at a pivotal juncture, with electric vehicles (EVs) becoming integral to many manufacturers’ lineups. Dodge, known for its powerful HEMI® engines and muscle cars, is venturing into this electric landscape with the all-new two-door 2024 Dodge Charger Daytona. This bold move comes as a response to market demands and environmental considerations. However, the path ahead is laden with significant challenges that could determine the success or failure of this iconic model’s electric incarnation.

PRM

Reaction score
Short answer: Yes. It's only now that people are seeing the true costs of owning an EV: massive depreciation, high repair costs, and once the battery is gone, no more car. And now, in some jurisdictions, they are starting to have to pay road tax that was part of the price of gasoline. Was there really a demand for EVs? Governments are legislating the elimination of gasoline powered vehicles and promoting EVs by offering subsidies (to manufacturers and consumers) and providing tax breaks. Those can't continue, and once they're gone the cost of EVs will sky rocket.
Also, I'm not sure how serious Stellantis is about this. I think they'll market it (poorly) for a couple of years then cancel it like the Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart and say "we tried." And why would I buy this car? To be honest, I would like to own a car like the Charger - and I could buy one if I wished. BUt why should I buy it? What features does car have that I would like? I've heard nothing about that, only that it is available as an EV.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Sales of EVs fell off a cliff in Germany when that country dropped its subsidies. Here in the USA sales of battery electric vehicles have plateaued. Sales of new electric vehicles remain at 7% of new vehicle sales. The government mandated phase out ICE powered vehicles remains in states containing half the US population.

There aren't enough high speed charging stations available in our market. Our nation's electric grid can'r support a workable network of high speed charging stations. One of the main selling points for the Charger Daytona EV is its long range and high speed charging capabilities.

So far what I'm seeing from Stellantis is jailhouse religion, or should I say nuthouse religion. The Charger Daytona is destined to fail with consumers because it is a long range quarter horse, something nobody asked for. However such products must be offered to please an authoritarian bureaucracy, in that way it will be a success. Another success for this design is that it allows the flexibility for other power train options.

bill burke

Reaction score
In a word, YES. Too bad Stellantis drank the environmental extremist “cool aide”and went all in on electric like it might work.Maybe in the EU it might work with their European brands,but for North America, as we say in New York, “fagetaboutit” ! Thank our lucky stars (pun intended) that Dodge was permitted to build a gasoline version, the only Charger that has a chance to save Dodge.
Thank the lucky stars too that Dodge has a gas powered and plug in hybrid in the Hornet that could be stripped of some unnecessary gizmos and sold at a competitive price in the compact crossover segment. They need that move now to save the Hornet and forget about the GLH all electric as doomed as the Banshee Charger. A sedan/coupe built off the Hornet architecture would be a smart move that could offer a GLH model.
Anyway, all electric is dead in North America and Dodge with ill conceived marching orders from Stellantis management is in a pile of trouble by launching the Daytona line before the Six Packs. Sorry, but the truth hurts and the clear answer to your question is a resounding YES !!

CloversPlusCats

Reaction score
Lease deals and rebates for these 'first editions' will be nuts if Stellantis and dealers use their heads, and they'll have to continue that after the 'regular', not so special cars come out.
I actually wonder if any of this gets priced below the $50k mark.

Side note: they're FINALLY testing the good colors. Dude says Go Mango but it's likely actually Peel Out.

patfromigh

Reaction score
as we say in New York, “fagetaboutit”
Virginia said that, for the Empire State the clock continues to wind down on the IC engine,

A sedan/coupe built off the Hornet architecture would be a smart move that could offer a GLH model.
The Renegade, Compass, Tonale and Hornet are probably the last SUSW platform products to be offered. The next Compass will usher in the STLA medium platform to replace it. Dodge and Chrysler need products based on that.

scatpack_69

Reaction score
Was there really a demand for EVs? Governments are legislating the elimination of gasoline powered vehicles and promoting EVs by offering subsidies (to manufacturers and consumers) and providing tax breaks.
Nope. It’s a nonexistent market falsely propped up by government. Very very few people wanted EV’s, and the few that did, plus some stragglers brought in by sensationalist propaganda, bought them. That’s it. Done deal. The rest of us realize combustion is not and cannot be dead.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
I think stellantis took a major gamble with the ev market on several fronts but IMO, its not a total loss. Credit where credit is due, they made sure their new vehicle platforms were modular just in case this happened so they kind of covered their butt's on that aspect. While the v8 powertrains are gone, leaving with them are all of the valve train issues that are inherent with the mds systems the the v8 engines were plagued with. Now I don't know enough about the hurricane engine to say that it will be flawless (no engine is) but I think we may have something amazing with this new poweetrain and there may be a few cool surprises in store for us with the new setup from Dodge and direct connection. I have a feeling these cars are going to be alot more responsive to modifications than the outgoing powertrains and I think once the aftermarket gets a hold of these we are going to see performance modifications that hearken back to the old school srt4 days. Plus we've already know that the six pack engines are the hurricrate cat 1 & cat 3 crate engines and the hurricrate cat x has yet to be seen but it's slated to have over 1000hp, which means even a street able version of that with 850hp and AWD with demon 170 type tuning would be an absolute monster.
The other aspect of this is hybridization, seeing that the gen4 zf 8speed is going to be a hybrid capable unit with plug in hybrid performance mimicking that of a 400v ev system, effectively making the transmission itself an actual power added and an emissions reducer all at the same time. Imagine what that could do bolted to a 550hp or 850hp twin turbo setup with AWD. The torque off the line would be insane plus imagine how broad the torque band would be! Now take that same setup, add a stage 2 kit from direct connection with demon 170 tuning software plus whatever ev tuning setup dodge is using for the daytona stage kits and that leaves us with cars that will walk all over what we have right now. Now as I've said before I could see chrysler being a full ev brand, but not Dodge. Just my thoughts.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
I personally think that Stellantis upper management is too stubborn to admit they were wrong about all in on EVs. They have quietly back pedaled with announcing they are looking at HEV for Recon, and confirming HEV for 500e. Why not come out and say, hey, we are going to go all in on all PHEV, HEV, and BEV like Ford and General Motors? It's funny Ford admitted their problem and announced a focus on hybrids and now they have embraced it, even in their newest commercials. Look at their newest campaign... making it sound like it's up to customer.

Farley's team is embracing it, while Tavares is being Mr. Cheap Skate cutting everything worse than Cerberus did (to the point they aren't cutting grass at the plants as much), and taking record profits. Dodge could shut up everyone up, by giving us teasers of the new SIX PACK along with the debut on the Daytona.

Look at Ford's newest ad, and tell me if Ford has the right idea for the customer base...

CloversPlusCats

Reaction score
I personally think that Stellantis upper management is too stubborn to admit they were wrong about all in on EVs. They have quietly back pedaled with announcing they are looking at HEV for Recon, and confirming HEV for 500e. Why not come out and say, hey, we are going to go all in on all PHEV, HEV, and BEV like Ford and General Motors? It's funny Ford admitted their problem and announced a focus on hybrids and now they have embraced it, even in their newest commercials. Look at their newest campaign... making it sound like it's up to customer.

Farley's team is embracing it, while Tavares is being Mr. Cheap Skate cutting everything worse than Cerberus did (to the point they aren't cutting grass at the plants as much), and taking record profits. Dodge could shut up everyone up, by giving us teasers of the new SIX PACK along with the debut on the Daytona.

Look at Ford's newest ad, and tell me if Ford has the right idea for the customer base...

Funniest bit is they should've had a couple of more around next year (Lightning successor, EV9 competitor) but those all ended up getting pushed back in favor of a cheaper platform we know less about, so with all the other cars with tail pipes being advertised? They only have an electric truck conversion and the controversial Mach- E to show for their goals so far while moving the goalposts.
The Mach-E has been getting back to decent sales lately, but that honestly could be more attributed to Supercharger access.

Really anxious to see Dodges advertising strategy for the next gen Chargers, but I'd bet they'll still put the Sixpack somewhere in it since it'll be a bit closer by the time the first cars come to dealers.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Funniest bit is they should've had a couple of more around next year (Lightning successor, EV9 competitor) but those all ended up getting pushed back in favor of a cheaper platform we know less about, so with all the other cars with tail pipes being advertised? They only have an electric truck conversion and the controversial Mach- E to show for their goals so far while moving the goalposts.
The Mach-E has been getting back to decent sales lately, but that honestly could be more attributed to Supercharger access.

Really anxious to see Dodges advertising strategy for the next gen Chargers, but I'd bet they'll still put the Sixpack somewhere in it since it'll be a bit closer by the time the first cars come to dealers.

But at least Ford wasn't afraid to admit they screwed up and were pushing back to hybrids. Tavares said in a recent Fortune magazine article that he doesn't understand the North American market, which is obvious. Can't imagine him coming out publicly and saying they screwed up in North America. I give Ford and GM a lot of credit for confronting their mistakes.

TripleT

Reaction score
But at least Ford wasn't afraid to admit they screwed up and were pushing back to hybrids. Tavares said in a recent Fortune magazine article that he doesn't understand the North American market, which is obvious. Can't imagine him coming out publicly and saying they screwed up in North America. I give Ford and GM a lot of credit for confronting their mistakes.
Ford and GM are way farther down the Rabbit Hole, and are now looking back. Pepe should learn from their experience. Of course he doesn't understand, NA, most people in the world don't. They are better off thinking about it as a BIG Europe. One it is way bigger than they can imagine, it was more diverse than they imagine, the regulatory environment is more diverse than they imagine, and Americans willingness to commute they can't fathom. Then there is the whole culture of disagreeableness, we in general don't trust "authority" which should be obvious as a Country found by those escaping feudalism.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The recent sales rise of EVs in our market is due to huge incentives to clear out the inventory. It will be temporary. Sales of EVs in China continue to fall, but they can hedge their losses by dumping their products onto other countries. The dumping of cheap Chinese EVs in the EU masks the drop in sales of EVs in Europe.

TripleT

Reaction score
You may have actual numbers but my experience in China is the opposite. You cannot shake a stick without hit an EV many of which people here have never heard of.

I seldom see a NEW car that is not an EV. Charging is available everywhere. The sub-A series and A series vehicles are outnumbering used vehicles because many of them start at $5k. A four door like the Leap $11K. If there is a slowdown in China it likely as it has hit critical mass, I am sure it is regional but the eye test Shanghai and south to Wenzhou there is still tons of momentum.

Elon is doing quite well because the Y is like Chevy here... dang near every 4th car is a Y.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I should have used the term flatten instead of fall. However, analysts are saying that Chinese manufacturers have over-produced for the current market conditions.

TripleT

Reaction score
I should have used the term flatten instead of fall.
Not going to correct anyone grammar even though I am a Ex Thug...

Just communicating what I saw. Just last month. Next time I will take pictures.... I did get one of the Leap.

Saltyferret

Reaction score
You may have actual numbers but my experience in China is the opposite. You cannot shake a stick without hit an EV many of which people here have never heard of.

I seldom see a NEW car that is not an EV. Charging is available everywhere. The sub-A series and A series vehicles are outnumbering used vehicles because many of them start at $5k. A four door like the Leap $11K. If there is a slowdown in China it likely as it has hit critical mass, I am sure it is regional but the eye test Shanghai and south to Wenzhou there is still tons of momentum.

Elon is doing quite well because the Y is like Chevy here... dang near every 4th car is a Y.
I guess if you want to turn the US into a communist forced labor camp, we could sell $5,000 EVs here too.

TripleT

Reaction score
I guess if you want to turn the US into a communist forced labor camp, we could sell $5,000 EVs here too.
They aren't Communist they are Totalitarian Corporatists ..... if you think we are that far off this you haven't been paying attention

Dr. Rouse

Reaction score
I am not so pessimistic about the upcoming Charger EV. First, production roll out will probably be very slow as the entire organization learns about it, so huge initial sales numbers cannot be expected or even possible. Second, it can be a revelation to drive a performance EV because of it’s instant and linear response, especially in today’s world of 8+ speed transmissions and poorly responsive turbo engines. And while I loved to fool around doing powerslides in my Hellcat, it was painfully clear that AWD is a necessity in the real world in cars with huge power.
Sure there are issues with finding functioning rechargers, etc. but that will be worked out over time.
I am pretty confident that Mopar fans will embrace these cars once they get to drive them.

Users who are viewing this thread