Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hornet Tops The Top-10 Slowest-Selling Vehicles List Again

For several months, Stellantis has been dominating the slowest-selling vehicles list in the U.S. However, while fewer Stellantis vehicles are on the list for April 2024, the Dodge Hornet continues to lead the chart with a 646 market-day supply on dealer lots, according to CarEdge.com. Make Model Market Day Supply Average Selling Price Total For Sale Total Sold (45 Days) Dodge Hornet 646 $42,093 14,994 1,045 Fiat 500X 558 $29,786 560 46 Volvo C40 429 $58,665 1,572 165 Ford Ranger 422 $45,059 4,933 526 Subaru Solterra 363 $50,103 3,937 488 Audi SQ8 350 $110,976 1,564 201 Genesis GV60 347 $61,934 … (read full article...)

tempImage7Othxm.png

Last edited by a moderator:

bill burke

Reaction score
Too big a leap I guess, as at first blush thought the Hornet was going to sell well.
Time to say flop.
Too close to the Alfa Romeo which is priced appropriately for its market, so clearly price difference reluctance from AR and spin off styling was an issue. Perhaps a big price drop, emphasis on gas power and a hybrid and FORGET the electric paper weight and a serious styling change could save all the investment. Maybe it is replaced by the.. hold on..Chinese - Mexican Journey. I know, bad idea. Just reaching for straws here. Dodge is really in bad shape with the new Charger facing stiff pushback, no marketable crossovers and the Challenger banished to nowhere land. What a series of bad decisions almost anyone with some auto business savvy could have predicted. Bad time for a flop, but a flop it is.

Last edited:

TripleT

Reaction score
I wonder where these are, our dealer consistently only has 2 and a very limited color pallet.... but I see them on the road here now, wonder if they are in the wrong place. He wouldn't even deal on one, I just got a Tonale instead think it was a good choice.

Mike201

Reaction score
I see to many negatives with the Hornet, despite it being a pretty decent vehicle. I know not everyone here will agree but this is what I see.
1) The many issues out of the gate it had and Dodge dealers were not prepared for it. The added bad press was not helpful at all.
2) It was promoted, for the most part as the replacement for the Journey in the Dodge line up, but was much smaller and more expensive.
3) Size. Don’t think brand loyal Dodge owners want a small Dodge SUV. Remember Dodge loyalists are used to Ramchargers, Durangos, Nitros, and Journeys.
4) Still not ready for EV’s yet. Yes, the first batch were Hybrids, but they were a small number and hard to find.
5) Again, price is a tad high for the market/buyers they are trying to reach.
6) Are Brand loyal Dodge buyers ready for a real Italian made Dodge? Yes, the Jeep Renegade, is a true Fiat, but it says Jeep, and has a Jeep feel.
Those are just somethings I have observed. Now if Dodge had a true midsize replacement for the Journey and this was the next step down of a 3 SUV line up, it may have done better.
Now I have not seen a new “Mexico” Journey up close, but everything I have read and seen in videos and pictures, I really think it would have worked here in N.A. much better than the Hornet. Yes it’s China made, but it seems like a sweet ride.
Don’t get me wrong on the Hornet, I like it, but my 3 hang ups are its smaller than my wife’s Cherokee, the high price and that it’s a full EV. I could be wrong on my points, but something is making this dead in the water.

patfromigh

Reaction score
First of all, I notice the new BMW 2-series is no longer on the list. That model which the Tonale and the Hornet compete against had a lower transaction price than the Dodge Hornet when they were on the list together.

Second, the Dodge Hornet is not a full battery electric. It is a plugin hybrid. There isn't a fully electric option on the Hornet and never was one offered. Plugin hybrid vehicles are hot sellers in our market place. The PHEVs of all the other brands have waiting lists for purchasing one.

BTW, the first batch of Hornets were conventional gas models, the hybrid followed by a few months. The price for the hybrid version is price competitive with other brands.

Finally, once again Stellantis is slinging Hash at the marketplace and the buyers won't have it. It didn't work when AMC put a Hudson front clip on a Nash and called it a Hornet in the mid-Fifties, and it didn't work when Studebaker did the same thing with a Packard grill on one of their cars.

As far as brand loyalists, the Hornet, as bad as its sales are, probably sells better than the last few years of the Ramcharger. The Nitro and Journey did not generate loyalty. They were Dodge's blue light specials, and the Nitro is another case of a car company slinging Hash at the marketplace. The way to build brand loyalty is through quality.

The styling holds the Hornet back. Whoever approved of that is probably senile. To come out with a stale look and persona on that vehicle, while a completely different design motif is waiting in the wings, is just plain dumb. The hybrid drive train is supposed to be cutting edge, yet the Hornet is saddled with last decade's full size Dodge styling. The marketing for both this Dodge and the Fiat 500X on the list are killing the brands.

I'm posting this link again. While this concept was fully electric, it points to a time when Dodge wanted to reach out to a new generation of buyers.

I remember when the 1975 Charger came out and was saddened to think that the 1971 Charger wasn't the stepping stone into the future, at that time.

Mike201

Reaction score
First of all, I notice the new BMW 2-series is no longer on the list. That model which the Tonale and the Hornet compete against had a lower transaction price than the Dodge Hornet when they were on the list together.

Second, the Dodge Hornet is not a full battery electric. It is a plugin hybrid. There isn't a fully electric option on the Hornet and never was one offered. Plugin hybrid vehicles are hot sellers in our market place. The PHEVs of all the other brands have waiting lists for purchasing one.

BTW, the first batch of Hornets were conventional gas models, the hybrid followed by a few months. The price for the hybrid version is price competitive with other brands.

Finally, once again Stellantis is slinging Hash at the marketplace and the buyers won't have it. It didn't work when AMC put a Hudson front clip on a Nash and called it a Hornet in the mid-Fifties, and it didn't work when Studebaker did the same thing with a Packard grill on one of their cars.

As far as brand loyalists, the Hornet, as bad as its sales are, probably sells better than the last few years of the Ramcharger. The Nitro and Journey did not generate loyalty. They were Dodge's blue light specials, and the Nitro is another case of a car company slinging Hash at the marketplace. The way to build brand loyalty is through quality.

The styling holds the Hornet back. Whoever approved of that is probably senile. To come out with a stale look and persona on that vehicle, while a completely different design motif is waiting in the wings, is just plain dumb. The hybrid drive train is supposed to be cutting edge, yet the Hornet is saddled with last decade's full size Dodge styling. The marketing for both this Dodge and the Fiat 500X on the list are killing the brands.

I'm posting this link again. While this concept was fully electric, it points to a time when Dodge wanted to reach out to a new generation of buyers.

I remember when the 1975 Charger came out and was saddened to think that the 1971 Charger wasn't the stepping stone into the future, at that time.
Yes I stand corrected regarding the first batch of hornets. The first batch were gas and they were hard to get. The second batch, which is currently on the market are hybrids. That was my error when I typed up my comments. Thank you for making the correction I do appreciate it.
I do have to make a slight argument on the other SUVs that Dodge produced. The Ramcharger was a pretty decent vehicle all the way up until the last year of production. It was very competitive to the Ford Brocco and the Chevy Blazer. For the Nitro, it was only out for a few years and it was just a dressed up Jeep Liberty, but it was a pretty solid vehicle. As for the Journey, yes I know poor quality hurt it but still for price it was a pretty good bang for the buck and having that third seat and the extra room in the back when the seat was down was a big plus over the Hornet.
Like I said, I think the Hornets are pretty decent vehicle. My big sticking point is the size and the price if they could do something at least with the price it would be helpful sales as for size day in a dollar short.

PRM

Reaction score
I have yet to see a Dodge Hornet on the road, or parking lot, or anyplace that indicates someone has purchased one. I sat in one at the auto show - and there's no way I'd by one. And who is this supposed to be for? It's not what I want to see at my local Dodge dealer.

It really just follows the Fiat trend of not investing in passenger cars for Chrysler & Dodge. It's just lip service. I don't think they ever really expected it to sell.

We're looking for a new vehicle now and we test drove a new Grand Cherokee. And there were no other (potential) customers at the dealership. The Mazda and Honda dealerships we visited the same day were all hopping and they were all selling cars. I'm afraid to say it, but Chrysler et al may be dead.

TripleT

Reaction score
I don't drive or park anywhere ...... Where someone doesn't compliment my car..... Just happened to day at a Drive through.

How is the Dodge that far off the mark, My wife said yeah this is much nicer than the Hornet.....

The missed on marketing. It a cool Prius... not a little Charger. averaging 75MPG bought 5 gallons of fuel in the last month for it.

TripleT

Reaction score
I have yet to see a Dodge Hornet on the road, or parking lot, or anyplace that indicates someone has purchased one. I sat in one at the auto show - and there's no way I'd by one. And who is this supposed to be for? It's not what I want to see at my local Dodge dealer.

It really just follows the Fiat trend of not investing in passenger cars for Chrysler & Dodge. It's just lip service. I don't think they ever really expected it to sell.

We're looking for a new vehicle now and we test drove a new Grand Cherokee. And there were no other (potential) customers at the dealership. The Mazda and Honda dealerships we visited the same day were all hopping and they were all selling cars. I'm afraid to say it, but Chrysler et al may be dead.
My dealership here has 2 to 3 at a time and seems to sell them pretty quick and will NOT deal on them. Starting to see them around town now.

patfromigh

Reaction score
They missed on marketing. It a cool Prius... not a little Charger. averaging 75MPG bought 5 gallons of fuel in the last month for it.
The marketing for the Hornet is terrible. I agree. Tesla did Toyota a huge favor by luring all the early adapters and virtue signaling away from the Prius. Toyota had to move the Prius back from the green fringe and closer to the center of the mainstream market, because of that. The new Prius is beautiful and is selling well. Sales improved dramatically, but are still short of the previous generations' high mark from last decade. Toyota is not worried because their Corolla hybrid is the old Prius in disguise and closes the sales gap.

The Dodge Dart was saddled with a horrific power train in a dying segment. That model had an excuse. Hybrid crossovers are the hottest segment in our marketplace, yet the Hornet is a loser. There is no excuse for this. The Dodge name is wedded to the modern muscle car, which is a fad now in decline. The Dodge brand needs to be redefined and the Hornet fails to do that.

TripleT

Reaction score
The marketing for the Hornet is terrible. I agree. Tesla did Toyota a huge favor by luring all the early adapters and virtue signaling away from the Prius. Toyota had to move the Prius back from the green fringe and closer to the center of the mainstream market, because of that. The new Prius is beautiful and is selling well. Sales improved dramatically, but are still short of the previous generations' high mark from last decade. Toyota is not worried because their Corolla hybrid is the old Prius in disguise and closes the sales gap.

The Dodge Dart was saddled with a horrific power train in a dying segment. That model had an excuse. Hybrid crossovers are the hottest segment in our marketplace, yet the Hornet is a loser. There is no excuse for this. The Dodge name is wedded to the modern muscle car, which is a fad now in decline. The Dodge brand needs to be redefined and the Hornet fails to do that.
I bet unless your a geek like me, or people here, From watching the Ads you would have no idea that it is a PHEV .....

Marketing it as Green and fun would have been the best direction NOT the mini Charger ads, Dodge has the lowest demographic, so yes early adopters would be in that, AND would look for something fun and Efficient.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Hornet PHEV starts at $60k in Canada. There are several with an MSRP of $70k+ here sitting on dealer lots.

Even the GT is priced way too high for what it is IMO.

I've seen 1 GT and 1 R/T so far around here, and I live in a city of 750,000 people

You know what are everywhere? Hyundai and Kia vehicles

larrywal

Reaction score
Trying to make something out of nothing...don't forget Toyota's being everywhere

Mopar392

Reaction score
And that's the biggest issue.
The Japanese and Korean have already established themselves in the market, and unless your value per dollar, whether it's equipment, performance or total packaging, beat them, you won't draw the average consumer attention.

Users who are viewing this thread