Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here Is What We Can Expect From The Upcoming Jeep® Recon

As the automotive landscape embraces electrification, the imminent arrival of the 2025 Jeep® Recon (EJ) stands poised to redefine the very essence of adventure in the North American market. Embarking on its maiden voyage from the production line in Q4 2024, this groundbreaking model signifies Jeep’s audacious leap into all-electric SUVs. Design & Innovation – … (read full article...)

tempImagexacE7P.png

Last edited by a moderator:

patfromigh

Reaction score
Building the Recon in Toluca is a smart move. US-built EVs are threatened by retaliatory tariffs because of trade agreements being violated by the current administration's policies.

bill burke

Reaction score
This could work, but a hybrid model might have been the smart move. Electrics are flooding the market with few takers. Like most, I’m sticking with reliable, dependable, economic and widely available gas.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Jeep is better off introducing an all new vehicle when the market demand is very low, that way they can slow walk it and get the bugs worked out. CDJR dealers are full of ICE powered vehicles which don't sell, so there is no room left on the dealer lots for another bunch of battery electric vehicles, which consumers will turned their noses up at when they see them. A big reason for the glut of Jeep vehicles is the marketing of their current models is terrible. The average person doesn't know what the 4Xe system is or how it works. The pricing is crazy as well with the mandatory option schemes.

I don't know what the exact size of the Recon is, but it is built on the STLA large platform. I imagine it could be close in size to the two-row Grand Cherokee. A Recon with the right trim and power train might make a great taxi package. Most of the thirteen states following the CARB mandates are along the Acela Corridor, so an advanced taxi package would work. Unfortunately they have hatched up a congestion pricing scheme in NYC which will make the taxi business there unprofitable. Municipal fleets will soon be forced to buy EVs, so there is a market for a robust electric utility vehicle. There are Dodge Durangos, closing in on twenty years old, with the municipal fleet running around the airport where I work. A Jeep Recon would make a great replacement. Now of course if the Jeep bosses decide to chase after the Land Rover marker segment and thumb their nose at historic Jeep niches, these potential sales won't happen. Consumers need to see a utility vehicle being utilized before they will consider one.

TripleT

Reaction score
Since it on the STLA platform I still hoping for an ICE version. More Capable open air JGC is basically a Bronco competitor.

Dunn

Reaction score
I would have thought that going electric that auto designers now have a blank page for design. So I don’t understand why they all look the same. The Jeep Recon looks and will compete with Ford Bronco. Range Rover Defender. And the upcoming Scout. Which is also all electric. Oh yes. I think Toyota has something coming out with the same look. And as a Jeep guy most of my life. I’m more interested to see the Scout.

bill burke

Reaction score
Since it on the STLA platform I still hoping for an ICE version. More Capable open air JGC is basically a Bronco competitor.
Agree here TT. To succeed all these touted all electrics must drop the “all” and go hybrid. Better yet offer a gas powered model for us dedicated polluters. Proud of my carbon footprint...cough, cough!

vbondjr1

Reaction score
With the rapid erosion of the EV movement, or shall I say the Tesla-style EV movement, I'm not so sure how well this vehicle will work as a full EV. Now, if this vehicle comes out with the way Stellantis is doing EVs where it has a gas engine generator under the hood, then this might be a go. Honestly this with a 3.6L or even a 2.0L Turbo gas generator under the hood with a 400hp or 600hp electric powertrain system wouldn't be terrible. The vehicle itself is an awesome looking vehicle, same with the Wagoneer S and if these vehicles are produced with the "Ramcharger" style EV hybrid system then I think that could be a win for the brand. Same thing with the Charger Banshee. The great thing about all of this is the STLA platforms are modular for ICE, Hybrid and full BEV which means alot of these vehicles we could (and should) see powertrains ranging from the 2.0L 4Xe powertrain, all variants of Hurricane I-6 3.0L powertrains, a Hybrid 3.0L Hurricane powertrain with the Gen-4 ZF 8-speed hybrid transmission, potentially variants of the 3.0L V6 Nettuno and +800hp Nettuno Hybrid powertrains (which would be cool in a next-gen Viper sports car), and variants of the "Ramcharger" system, which actually would nearly completely electrify everything in the Stellantis (FCA/Mopar) lineup, but it does so in a more sensible manner. The simple truth is that electrification is actually a viable and beneficial solution when it comes to the powertrains of these next-gen vehicles, but in hybrids and not 100% full BEV vehicles.
But here is something to think about and it's a point I've touched on before. Jeep has literally killed the actual Chrysler brand as it is quickly becoming a very luxury oriented brand. So much so it's Grand Wagoneer can compete with Cadillac and it's Grand Cherokee and upcoming Wagoneer S can compete with European luxury and luxury performance type SUVs. If successful, the Recon will not compete against the Bronco, it will more compete against Land Rover as a premium all-terrain type vehicle while the Bronco would compete more against the Wrangler than anything. The opportunity for the full EV strategy that Stellantis was looking at is now gone and if Jeep decided to add a sliding rear door SUV to it's lineup, similar to the upcoming Toyota Century SUV, we can all kiss minivans goodbye which means Chrysler will be sitting next to Plymouth in the History books. Unless the brand can figure out how to take over the spot that Genesis resides in and become a lower costs competitor to Mercedes, BMW, Audi or even Acura and Lexus, the future does not look promising for the brand at all. Chrysler needs to take a serious look at what BMW is doing with the M5 with the new Hybrid and both Estate and Sedan types along with something like the X6M, the Rolls Royce Cullinan and other premium luxury performance type vehicles and offer vehicles that compete with them in the American market if they want to justify their very existence.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Authoritarian regimes across the globe have dictated battery electric vehicles. So far I have seen no change in these mandates. While national elections in Europe have resulted in placing people in power opposed to the narrative and agendas of the green hysteria, it is the EU governing body flexing its new found muscle overriding the will of the people. In the USA many of the same politicians supporting ICE bans keep getting reelected. The bureaucrats writing the rules here don't need to worry about losing elections. They have lifetime jobs. They have an agenda and don't have to answer to the voters and taxpayers.

We are getting full battery electric power trains. Stellantis executives are investing in this reality and that's why the Recon is a BEV. The design is baked in, though there might be a hybrid offering in regions where it's legal. Most likely a hybrid version will be similar to the 4Xe system used on the Compass and Renegade. I don't know how flexible the STLA large platform is. Will there be longitudinal drive train placement in addition to the transverse electric drive modules already shown? I don't think there is any room for that in the Recon. The replacements for the L-series sedans and JGC/Durango will probably have longitudinal ICE power in those regions where it's legal.

Yes, the Chrysler brand is in a fix. Nobody expected Toyota, Mazda and Subaru to come out swinging against the EV push. It seems a number of people on this forum fretted about Chrysler becoming the people mover brand back in the day. Well Toyota and Lexus have shown the way with the new Grand Highlander/ Lexus TX crossovers. The top of the line trim for the TX is a plugin hybrid with a V6. The Pacific PHEV has a very similar power train except it doesn't have an e-axle in the rear. Most of the Lexus lineup are what we label people movers. A number of Toyota products sold here also can be described as people movers. While there are waiting lists for the Toyota Crown sedan and Signia sport wagon in the US, Chrysler 300 sedans are stacked up on dealer's lots. It was the Chrysler brand which pioneered the minivan based crossover with the original Pacifica. Chrysler dropped the ball and Toyota ran it in for a touchdown.

While the Japanese brands are going hog wild on hybrids, they too see the reality of the zero emissions mandates. So they also will offer fully electric vehicles where required. I feel sorry for the people living in the lucky 13 states with the CARB mandates.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
Authoritarian regimes across the globe have dictated battery electric vehicles. So far I have seen no change in these mandates. While national elections in Europe have resulted in placing people in power opposed to the narrative and agendas of the green hysteria, it is the EU governing body flexing its new found muscle overriding the will of the people. In the USA many of the same politicians supporting ICE bans keep getting reelected. The bureaucrats writing the rules here don't need to worry about losing elections. They have lifetime jobs. They have an agenda and don't have to answer to the voters and taxpayers.

We are getting full battery electric power trains. Stellantis executives are investing in this reality and that's why the Recon is a BEV. The design is baked in, though there might be a hybrid offering in regions where it's legal. Most likely a hybrid version will be similar to the 4Xe system used on the Compass and Renegade. I don't know how flexible the STLA large platform is. Will there be longitudinal drive train placement in addition to the transverse electric drive modules already shown? I don't think there is any room for that in the Recon. The replacements for the L-series sedans and JGC/Durango will probably have longitudinal ICE power in those regions where it's legal.

Yes, the Chrysler brand is in a fix. Nobody expected Toyota, Mazda and Subaru to come out swinging against the EV push. It seems a number of people on this forum fretted about Chrysler becoming the people mover brand back in the day. Well Toyota and Lexus have shown the way with the new Grand Highlander/ Lexus TX crossovers. The top of the line trim for the TX is a plugin hybrid with a V6. The Pacific PHEV has a very similar power train except it doesn't have an e-axle in the rear. Most of the Lexus lineup are what we label people movers. A number of Toyota products sold here also can be described as people movers. While there are waiting lists for the Toyota Crown sedan and Signia sport wagon in the US, Chrysler 300 sedans are stacked up on dealer's lots. It was the Chrysler brand which pioneered the minivan based crossover with the original Pacifica. Chrysler dropped the ball and Toyota ran it in for a touchdown.

While the Japanese brands are going hog wild on hybrids, they too see the reality of the zero emissions mandates. So they also will offer fully electric vehicles where required. I feel sorry for the people living in the lucky 13 states with the CARB mandates.
"Will there be longitudinal drive train replacement in addition to the transverse electric drive modules already shown? I don't think there is any room for that in the Recon."
Just speculation of course but as far as just for the recon, judging by the length of the hood, if there is a hybrid option it would be the 2.0L 4Xe and it would be jam-packed in there. I would think a transverse mounted 2.0L gas generator would be more of what Stellantis would do for this vehicle specifically as it would allow for extended range and all of that kind of stuff. Just out of reading as much as I can and watching what Stellantis FCA is doing The next gen D6U (Durango/JGC) & LB/LF (2dr/4dr STLA Large Mopar performance vehicles) will more than likely see a "2L 4Xe" style powertrain as a base engine, a few variations of the Hurricane-6, a hybrid variant of that with the next-gen 8-speed which may eventually see every variant of these vehicles receiving hybrid powertrains, and of course the 400V & 800V "Banshee" powertrains with gas range extenders. Figure it this way, 4Xe vehicles are getting +25miles of full electric "Zero emissions" range and the Tech that the Ramcharger has is pretty impressive as it stands. There is no doubt that we're going to see more electric and electrified vehicles coming in the near future, but I don't think we're going to see as many full Tesla-style BEVs from Stellantis North America as people might assume. Just my thoughts from what I've gathered so far from what Stellantis is presenting.

Freshforged

Reaction score
As the automotive landscape embraces electrification, the imminent arrival of the 2025 Jeep® Recon (EJ) stands poised to redefine the very essence of adventure in the North American market. Embarking on its maiden voyage from the production line in Q4 2024, this groundbreaking model signifies Jeep’s audacious leap into all-electric SUVs. Design & Innovation – … (read full article...)

View attachment 8962
Sure hope the Sport is available at a reasonable price. Rebut let’s face it, even if it comes in just below 50000, it’s still beyond my range. I’d have better luck holding out for an entry level BEV Charger.

Users who are viewing this thread