What's new
Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford Is Looking To Take Over Where Dodge Left Off

Ford Is Looking To Take Over Where Dodge Left Off​

As Dodge Shifts Gears, Ford Doubles Down On V8 Power To Capture A Loyal Market...​

1724360403859.png

In a move that could signal a shift in the muscle car landscape, Ford recently revealed its plans for the future Mustang lineup at a dealer meeting in Las Vegas. Among the new offerings, the most surprising was the announcement of a four-door Mustang coupe, tentatively named the “Mach 4.” This new model is expected to feature V8 power—a decision that seems to borrow a bit from Dodge’s playbook, especially as the muscle car segment undergoes significant changes.

"Obsolete" tech? No, the V8 is very relevant since it can refuel in minutes, can go all day long and the entire vehicle can last several decades if looked after. These performance EV's aren't desired or wanted by anyone with a brain. They're too expensive, too inconvenient and have a maximum lifespan of 10.years which is economically and environmentally disgraceful.

Then there's the driving experience. For many enthusiasts this is everything, and you just cannot get that experience from something that sounds like a blender and lacks soul.

EV's including hybrids were developed over a century ago and they became "obsolete" because of the pros of the fuel burning motor vehicle.
Yeah, and you’ll be fueling that V8 a LOT over the course of ownership, with increasing gas prices, not to mention the environmental damage it’s causing.

This is like solving a Rubik's Cube that has only one color, and Stellantis just doesn't know how to figure it out. Update your trucks every 3-5 years, and offer a V8 engine. That's all you've got to do to sell product as fast as you can make it. I don't think they care.
Your local Stellantis dealer is overflowing with 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024 brand new unsold trucks with V8s… which kinda disproves the theory.

Your local Stellantis dealer is overflowing with 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024 brand new unsold trucks with V8s… which kinda disproves the theory.

They've also done crazy price increases which isn't helping stagnant inventory

Yeah, and you’ll be fueling that V8 a LOT over the course of ownership, with increasing gas prices, not to mention the environmental damage it’s causing.
Where does your electricity power supply to charge your batteries come from?
Where does the material for your battery come from?
The EV isn’t that environment friendly either.

I haven't seen that. What I've seen is that all V8 truck inventory was gone many months ago, and now that you can't get a new V8 Ram the prices on used ones are increasing.

Gas prices are decreasing (with an election coming up) and likely will decrease more afterward depending upon outcome. And it's also not true that V8s need a LOT of gas. The difference between V8 and V6 in a pickup these days is very small, often less than 2 MPG. The difference between Hemi and Hurricane in the Ram 1500s is literally zero in the real world. The idea that it's causing environmental damage is laughable. Apparently you haven't seen what happens to manufacture an EV.

V8 engines are job security for Ford and GM workers, and that leads to good households and children that are fed well. I hope Ford and GM produce them forever.

V8 engines are job security for Ford and GM workers, and that leads to good households and children that are fed well. I hope Ford and GM produce them forever.

You’re in total denial of reality about climate change as well as macroeconomic trends. The only thing keeping GM and Ford workers employed making V8 engines are protective tariffs similar to those of the 70s and 80s that, then as now, force Americans to pay higher prices for inferior inefficient technologies.

That won’t continue forever. American workers aren’t going to be competitive if we have to pay $80K for a low quality gas guzzling V8 truck while our overseas competitors pay $15K for a highly efficient electrical vehicle.

Detroit will have to start producing modern and competitive environmentally responsible vehicles or yet another bankruptcy is coming… one where there will be no federal aid this time.

I feel like it might be a waste but Stellantis could do something slick and bring out a 5.2L (318ci) DOHC V8 and drop that under the hood of the New Charger and everything else on the STLA Large/STLA Frame platform. The Idea might be kind of a waste as Dodge now has the High output hurricane, but then again, it might not. Let's say for instance, the Hurricane HO powertrains get sourced to vehicle like jeeps, Chryslers and some of the Ram pickup trucks and they sell really well. This opens up room for Stellantis to have a V8 powertrain in the mix with small displacement, but with decent horsepower. Enter in, the 5.2L DOHC "Magnum" V8 engine. it's an engine that competes in size with both Ford and GM and could have a ton of power, especially as a hybrid. With a 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order, a factory cold air intake, SRT tuned mid length header style exhaust manifolds and a decent exhaust system let's say the car can manage 520hp and maybe 450lb-ft of torque. Put a hybrid 8-speed Gen-4 transmission behind it and now your running closer to the 600hp mark with over 500lb-ft of torque, plus decent MPGe. AWD, Brembos and some Direct Connection upgrades and now we're cooking. Granted it will probably never happen but it's a thought.
You are smoking something extremely strong if you think using a 60-70 year old design in a modern vehicle would be a good idea. The Magnum/Corsair/PowerTech variants aren't as fuel efficient or as powerful as you think they are. I daily drive the 4.7 in an 02 1500 SLT quad cab, I get 13-14mpg on a good day. Has a cold air intake, and custom dual exhaust. I'm pushing 300HP max with E85. These engines would need to be revised to fit modern standards and even then they're probably going to need some form of forced induction to make any decent power.

If they want to make that 520hp number without forced induction they'd have to redesign the heads and pistons, if I remember correctly they have a 9.1:1 compression ratio. And then at that point could you even call it the same engine if youre adding a bunch of tech, emissions, and developing new heads & pistons?

I recommend you look into what goes on when mining the resources needed for that sparkly new EV you're drooling over. Ignoring the poor worker conditions and usage of child labor, the amount of pollution made by the mines is worse than the benefit of using an EV. And then where do you think the power comes from? Basically everywhere, especially China, they're still using coal and gas burning plants. Wind farms, solar farms, hydroelectric, and nuclear power are few and far between in A LOT of places.

I live in an upper middle class area near lake Erie. We've had a massive boom of teslas, as there's a dealer on the main road. And luckily a good chunk of our power is nuclear and solar, but again it's not like this everywhere.

You can Google powerplants near you and I'm sure you'd be surprised what you see.

You’re in total denial of reality about climate change as well as macroeconomic trends. The only thing keeping GM and Ford workers employed making V8 engines are protective tariffs similar to those of the 70s and 80s that, then as now, force Americans to pay higher prices for inferior inefficient technologies.

That won’t continue forever. American workers aren’t going to be competitive if we have to pay $80K for a low quality gas guzzling V8 truck while our overseas competitors pay $15K for a highly efficient electrical vehicle.

Detroit will have to start producing modern and competitive environmentally responsible vehicles or yet another bankruptcy is coming… one where there will be no federal aid this time.
I think one might be in "total" denial if one thinks that EVs will remedy any climate change issues. That being said I have no issues with the EV Charger but only bc we have a Sixpack version coming. I like DEI in powertrain options.

I think one might be in "total" denial if one thinks that EVs will remedy any climate change issues. That being said I have no issues with the EV Charger but only bc we have a Sixpack version coming. I like DEI in powertrain options.

I’ve got no problems with you driving a gas car, so long as your use is taxed appropriately to pay for the damage you’re causing. $19 a gallon should cover things.

I’ve got no problems with you driving a gas car, so long as your use is taxed appropriately to pay for the damage you’re causing. $19 a gallon should cover things.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Let's do the same for all the emissions created to produce an EV. A nice fat emissions tax on EV owners until their emission balance breaks even around the 100k mile mark. Gotta pay your fair share!

Last edited:
This @MotorMaven person has to be kidding. $19 a gallon? So what are we going to do to make up for the irreparable damage caused to the planet by these mineral mines? What about the run-away lithium fires? I was just talking to a union electrician last week who has been assigned to work on the new Ford EV battery plant in Glendale, Kentucky. He said they have been talking about the chemicals in the EV batteries, some of which would be an environmental disaster if accidentally released into the ground water, and how there is no known clean-up procedure for it. Really really bad chemicals. I don't understand how some of these people really think EVs are the key to saving earth with no drawbacks.

As far as being in "denial" about climate change... I have a degree in meteorology and climatology. I've been studying weather and climate for 40 years. Send me a PM and we can have that discussion any time you want. The idea of climate change is being weaponized politically, I almost never hear it discussed in terms of reality. If you believe it, you're gullible. I have some ocean-front property in Kansas I'll sell you dirt cheap.

BACK ON TOPIC... I heard yesterday that the 4-door Ford car is likely going to happen, but they are considering a different name for it. Thunderbird and Falcon are the two big ones. Personally I think a new T-bird would do better.

Back