Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fix for FIAT Brand in North America: Opel

AlexB

Reaction score
One of the most discussed things about Mopar lineup is the state of the FIAT brand. As a part of the recovery of Chrysler from near death experience of 2008/2009, the FIAT brand would be launch in North America through the Chrysler organization with new stand-alone dealers (called FIAT Studios) as an response to $4-$5 gas across the United States.
There was much optimism for the 500, but after several botches (delayed inventory, slow dealer opens with poor service , no model follow up and bad reliability) and the rise of crossovers/SUVs the FIAT brand in North America failed flat.

Majority of the FIAT Studios closed down, with the survivors bundle into CDRJ (Chrysler,Dodge, Ram,Jeep) network, and with collapsing volume together with the sole model offering in North America being 500X many in the media began generating gossip about the fate of the FIAT brand in North America. Such noise was put to rest by Carlos Tavavers as he made clear that due to Biden Administration's regulations, FIAT brand is necessary in North America for meeting future fuel economy standards.

So how Stellantis should go about a FIAT brand overhaul in North America? This is my directions:
1: Decoupling FIAT brand in North America from FIAT brand in Europe...

According to the Executive lineup for Stellantis, it clearly detach the FIAT Brand in Latin America from FIAT brand in Europe, likely driven by the different market needs & expectations out FIAT. I believe the same action is important for the brand(FIAT) in North America given sizes of humans on the continent(in no disrespect),movement to crossovers, and the need to create a identity that would appeal to North American customers.

2: Opel
One the issues with the FIAT brand performance in North America besides the size is the design, and how it effected packaging. The designs just may not simply ''click'' with U.S. buyers, due to a lack of knowing what is the heritage of FIAT given the long hiatus in North America. Therefore classico/throwback/retro themes are pointless for the FIAT Brand in North America.
One the other hand, one brand design's that have gain traction in North America (particular in Crossovers) is Opel. The Opel Antara sold as Saturn Vue generated U.S. annual sales volume in lower 80,000 CUV's despite the Saturn brand having around only 350 dealerships which is a great outcome that got GM thoughts of moving Saturn into the Pontiac-GMC-Buick Dealership network while eliminating Pontiac. With GM's bailout & bankruptcy, the company end up scrapping both Pontiac and Saturn without paying dealerships (a massive savings given the various U.S. States laws around the act of franchising).

A legacy of those '' Opel '' Saturn's' at GMC-Buick Dealership network'' thoughts was the Opel Mokka getting sold as the Buick Encore. The Encore has sold annual volume in the upper 80,000 volume, however it does have a relevantly lower Average Transaction Price ($19,000) but has move to a ''classic'' role as GM introduce new the Encore GX.

The Encore GX also marks the split of the Encore/Mokka because in 2020, PSA launched the redesign Mokka on the CMP platform, and now given PSA folding into FIAT Chrysler creating Stellantis there's an opportunity for Mokka as the centerpiece of the FIAT brand in North America given Opel's past SUV designs have had past success in North America. Mokka as a FIAT would be strong evolution of the original FIAT U.S. proposition on A-B Segment, but with crossover form and Opel designs are forward-driven(closer to North American tastes).

The other two models is the redesign Astra on PSA underpinnings, but in ''Active'' crossover body styles not unlike what Ford was planning to do with the Focus in North America(cancel because of tariffs related to Chinese goods) . The last model that's added is PSA Crossover replacement of the Insignia, creating 3 non-conventional offerings.

3: Minimized Spend
That's the benefit of the Mokka, Astra ''Active'' and Insignia replacement, should be low in cost to meet U.S. standards. No new capacity or local tooling being added as they coming from France & Germany, and same sheet metal. Interior pretty identical to avoid new spending.

4;Avoid diluting Margins and Average Transaction Prices
By being made in France & Germany, the European operations will book the wholesale revenue on these products, minimizing revenue dilution of North America as more of Stellantis North America Average Transaction as it heads into the $50,000 mark(the new Jeep SUV's). Margins will be protected by lower volume, but higher priced (120,000 annual volume, average transaction Price of low 30's ).

5:''Bright skies'',
The marketing should be Bright skies, optimistic, progressive. Push the features, unique design, show the vehicle being used in life (kind of a mix of Subaru and Volvo). Give a longer warranty such as 8 years/80,000 miles which is longer than the other Stellantis brands.

That's my new position for the FIAT brand in North America, one that won't break the Company, if anything final create a low new investment path of a worthwhile specialty brand that hep meets fuel ecomomy standards.
Thoughts?

TripleT

Reaction score
Fix is CDJR and more of the products not less

patfromigh

Reaction score
The new Fiat 500 electric should be imported and sold through CDJR dealers, but it is a niche product for certain regions. A number of dealers outside California are selling and servicing off-lease California compliance 500e models. If the Centoventi makes it to production, i think it would sell here when properly adapted to our market. The Centoventi would also be a niche product for certain regions. The new battery electric Toyota crossover announced today will be a formidable competitor for any small EV.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Opel has some nice cars on and coming to the market. How ironic would it be for GM to see their once beloved Euro brand be competing in the U.S?

The only problem is I think FIAT is pretty much dead here in the U.S. They should focus on the Chrysler brand. I never understood why they didn't do that, to begin with. But Chrysler will be having a laugh here soon. The Windsor plant should be building a new electrified Chrysler in a couple of years. We saw a preview of it with the Airflow Vision Concept.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
The new Fiat 500 electric should be imported and sold through CDJR dealers, but it is a niche product for certain regions. A number of dealers outside California are selling and servicing off-lease California compliance 500e models. If the Centoventi makes it to production, i think it would sell here when properly adapted to our market. The Centoventi would also be a niche product for certain regions. The new battery electric Toyota crossover announced today will be a formidable competitor for any small EV.

You can get the old 500e on the used market here in the States for a couple of thousand bucks.

AlexB

Reaction score
Opel has some nice cars on and coming to the market. How ironic would it be for GM to see their once beloved Euro brand be competing in the U.S?

The only problem is I think FIAT is pretty much dead here in the U.S. They should focus on the Chrysler brand. I never understood why they didn't do that, to begin with. But Chrysler will be having a laugh here soon. The Windsor plant should be building a new electrified Chrysler in a couple of years. We saw a preview of it with the Airflow Vision Concept.
Thanks for response.
GM Is full of karma....they could have owned FIAT Automotive, and be second largest shareholder in the rest of FIAT, but instead paid $2 billion to exit the partnership. Then they borrowed $3.8 billion to pay PSA to take Opel.
I hope for that Windsor product to succeed. GM Is full of karma.

FIAT and Chrysler both occupy the same lane. But I think Opel designs would sell better as FIAT’s in North America than as Chrysler’s.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score

It seems that both Fiat and Alfa are safe and sound in US. They are going nowhere. That's according to mister Tavaresh. It surprised me, the part about Fiat.

Chrysler? Eventually it will get more products, it must get more products. But it will not be nowhere near to what some people imagine. American premium carmaker. No way.

Speaking about Opel. They did a lot of base engineering work for GM but their R&D under PSA and now Stellantis will get thinner and thinner. Basically those cars will have interior and exterior Opel design and that's it.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
You can get the old 500e on the used market here in the States for a couple of thousand bucks.
The old is nothing like a new one. New one is selling like a hotcakes in the EU. At least the last sales data showed it.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Chrysler in Windsor? On which platform?

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
It seems that both Fiat and Alfa are safe and sound in US. They are going nowhere. That's according to mister Tavaresh. It surprised me, the part about Fiat.

Chrysler? Eventually it will get more products, it must get more products. But it will not be nowhere near to what some people imagine. American premium carmaker. No way.

Speaking about Opel. They did a lot of base engineering work for GM but their R&D under PSA and now Stellantis will get thinner and thinner. Basically those cars will have interior and exterior Opel design and that's it.
What T_690 said.
Also bringing Opel to the US? That would be such a costly mistake. Tell me: what are the sales numbers of Buick? What were the sales numbers of Saturn?

They should just focus on strengthening the brands they have in the US. Glad to hear that new Chryslers are coming. :D

TripleT

Reaction score

Its really only a California compliance car, the Range is so small it isn't even practical. By all measures the new 50e is a properly don't full BEV. Make it available at 1600+ CDJR dealers in good standing, yes I know there is over 2000... Bring the New Panda when it come, the Tipo cross, maybe even the pickup. Make it the new Plymouth.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Its really only a California compliance car, the Range is so small it isn't even practical. By all measures the new 50e is a properly don't full BEV. Make it available at 1600+ CDJR dealers in good standing, yes I know there is over 2000... Bring the New Panda when it come, the Tipo cross, maybe even the pickup. Make it the new Plymouth.

Pretty much, but you can get them anywhere in the country now on the used market. There is a few of them around Metro Detroit I see people who non-manufacturer plates on running around

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Chrysler in Windsor? On which platform?

"While not many details were released about the future product and what brand it would represent, many have thought that a future electrified Chrysler small people mover would be built in the upcoming years at the plant. The Chrysler brand has teased two small electrified vehicles in the past four years. One of those products was the Chrysler Portal Concept, a small crossover van designed for the millennial generation and showcasing Level 4 autonomy possibilities. The other vehicle was the Chrysler Airflow Vision Concept, another smaller crossover styled vehicle that was shown this year’s Consumer Electronics Show (CES) which showcased several new infotainment technologies that will be coming to future FCA products."

Tony K

Reaction score
FIAT and Chrysler both occupy the same lane. But I think Opel designs would sell better as FIAT’s in North America than as Chrysler’s.
Why would ANY design that fits as a Chrysler sell better in the US as a Fiat?

Well, not for some time, no. Yet, there's no reason not to make Chrysler stand out as exceptional. Honestly, if you don't, I think you're wasting a great brand name.

AlexB

Reaction score
Why would ANY design that fits as a Chrysler sell better in the US as a Fiat?

Well, not for some time, no. Yet, there's no reason not to make Chrysler stand out as exceptional. Honestly, if you don't, I think you're wasting a great brand name.
Because some look to a certain price point, and compare an ''Opel Mokka as Chrysler'' to Chevy & Ford and be like ''uhh,I like the design, but its smaller than the Escape and cost more''. FIAT brand in North America easier to press ''the reset button'' than Chrysler.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The new Fiat 500 electric is the way forward. Imported and sold through all dealers, but those dealers must have trained service personnel. I am talking about a very small niche in the market, but the vehicle is already in production in Europe and doesn't have a messy manufacturing process as the original compliance Fiat 500e did.

The 500X marketing for our market is all wrong. Fiat is sending us the most expensive AWD models and competing against the Jeep models on the same platform. We don't get the front drive Sport trim, which makes more sense and is sold everywhere else. The AWD 500X also ends up in the same price range as the AWD Challenger which has about the same highway fuel economy.

We should wait and see what production vehicle the Centoventi points to as well. Fiat needs a hybrid model as well as a couple of battery electrics, but I just don't know what that would be.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
The 500X marketing for our market is all wrong. Fiat is sending us the most expensive AWD models and competing against the Jeep models on the same platform. We don't get the front drive Sport trim, which makes more sense and is sold everywhere else. The AWD 500X also ends up in the same price range as the AWD Challenger which has about the same highway fuel economy.
Jesus... :ROFLMAO:
At this point I believe they are just slowly killing Fiat in the US now that they don't need it for compliance cars in Cali.

I mean, to me Chrysler's potential at this point in time is selling as much as Buick plus the sales volume of the Pacifica. Does this warrant a big investment solely in Chrysler? I don't think so.
A good thing about Tavares, is that opposed to FCA leadership, he does not see investment into one brand as a zero sum game where you have to divert investment from other brands.

So I can see them investing and lauching Chrysler products at the same time they release equivalent Dodge products. This is if they follow the same strategy they implemented in Europe for Peugeot/Citroen/Opel. I can tell you that even though the differences between might not be big in terms of platforms and engines they feel and look very different (well excluding the rushed Corsa - the Mokka feels very different from the 2008, the Grandland from the 3008 from the C5 Aircross).

If they used that same strategy you could see Dodge/Chrysler compact and midsize SUVs or sedans.
Maybe they could even launch a new Chrysler 300. I know that Tavares would've greenlit it if he was there when that decision was done.

Users who are viewing this thread