Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dodge's All-New Charger Daytona Will Debut On March 5th

Finally, we are getting our first official word on when we can see the production-ready 2025 Dodge Charger Daytona. At the J.D. Power Auto Summit in Las Vegas this week, Matt McAlear, Dodge’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing, announced that the all-electric Charger Daytona would be making its official debut on March 5th. … (read full article...)

tempImageb0jM0p.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
Because selling the EV only first is the only way to sell the EV?? I could consider a hybrid, but I'm still in the "not me" category when it comes to a pure EV.
The problem is that the average Joe will think its going to be EV only and now its going to cost Dodge a bazillion dollars in advertising to tell average Joe that you can buy it with a Hurricane six pak as well. Would be much easier to debut both at the same time or if I had to pick one, the Hurricane first.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
The concept doesn't look very good. Maybe it looks better in person. EV sales are slowing and Dodge is releasing an EV prior to releasing the ICE version. Doesn't make much sense to me. Sales of the EV might be below expectations while sales of the 2 door and 4 door ICE version will be non-existent for months.

The concept is a really sharp car honestly, I have spent a lot of time with it. I actually really like it, hopefully the 800-volt car looks on par with the concept

Reaction score
Give me a call when the gas powered model comes out. The European enviro geeks of Stellantis are offering the American muscle car buyer something it doesn't want. I hope they are a total flop. Meanwhile General Motors is slowing plans for new EV's and delaying the new generation Chevrolet Bolt EV and EUV until 2025. Ford cut production of its F-150 Lightning by 50% at the start of the year. Toyota is cutting their sales forecast of EV's by 40%. Hertz is selling a third of their electric fleet and replacing them with gas powered cars. Elsewhere in the world Australia’s largest lithium mine is reducing production and halting one of its nickel operations. The big lie is beginning to fall apart and the endless stream of TV commercials can't save it. The Biden administration gave $12 billion in grants and loans to auto makers and suppliers to retrofit plants to produce electric and other advanced vehicles. Hopefully that clown will be out of office in a year and life will begin to return to normal.

Mopar392

Reaction score
The American side of Stellantis needs to have EV vehicles whether we like it or not.
They need to have a sustainable plan to face the administration change every 4 years, and the regs that come with them.

JohnRogers

Reaction score
Give me a call when the gas powered model comes out. The European enviro geeks of Stellantis are offering the American muscle car buyer something it doesn't want. I hope they are a total flop. Meanwhile General Motors is slowing plans for new EV's and delaying the new generation Chevrolet Bolt EV and EUV until 2025. Ford cut production of its F-150 Lightning by 50% at the start of the year. Toyota is cutting their sales forecast of EV's by 40%. Hertz is selling a third of their electric fleet and replacing them with gas powered cars. Elsewhere in the world Australia’s largest lithium mine is reducing production and halting one of its nickel operations. The big lie is beginning to fall apart and the endless stream of TV commercials can't save it. The Biden administration gave $12 billion in grants and loans to auto makers and suppliers to retrofit plants to produce electric and other advanced vehicles. Hopefully that clown will be out of office in a year and life will begin to return to normal.
What's your number, so I can call you soon? These cars are being offered with ICE configurations, turbo inline sixes. This is confirmed.

Don't call after 10:00pm?

Mike201

Reaction score
The problem is that the average Joe will think its going to be EV only and now its going to cost Dodge a bazillion dollars in advertising to tell average Joe that you can buy it with a Hurricane six pak as well. Would be much easier to debut both at the same time or if I had to pick one, the Hurricane first.
You nailed it!!! They need to release BOTH or the average Joe will blow off Doge thinking they are EV’s only. Someone at the top needs to get their head out of their assss and address this before it’s to late!

MotorMaven

Reaction score
Screw the EV Charger. Get this car out with the hurricane engine and the hybrid engine. The EV can wait till later in the year. Isn’t auto manufacturing about selling cars? The ICE and hybrid will sell more than the EV’s. So why wait? To kill sales of the new Charger before they start? BAD MOVE!!!
The ICE and hybrid will be slow and inefficient in comparison. The EVs will be way, WAY faster.

Dodge is the performance muscle brand. Leading with the performance muscle configurations makes sense; the ICE cars will be for folks who want an inefficient, slower and less reliable ICE out of insistence on obsolete technology.

People who want the obsolete powertrain will be able to choose from the various LX-bodied Challengers and Chargers that have plentiful supply in the channel.

Mopar392

Reaction score
The ICE and hybrid will be slow and inefficient in comparison. The EVs will be way, WAY faster.

Dodge is the performance muscle brand. Leading with the performance muscle configurations makes sense; the ICE cars will be for folks who want an inefficient, slower and less reliable ICE out of insistence on obsolete technology.

People who want the obsolete powertrain will be able to choose from the various LX-bodied Challengers and Chargers that have plentiful supply in the channel.
EV is fast only when it's fully charged, and that's take 45-60minutes, compared to filling a tank of gas in less than 5minutes.
When the infrastructure supports the proposed change over to full EV, then come back and tell me the EV is better than the ICE or Hybrid.

patfromigh

Reaction score
EV is fast only when it's fully charged, and that's take 45-60minutes ...
If everything at the charging station is working correctly. This also does not include time waiting in a line to get to the charging station.

Now about the videos above. I would love to see the miles of range readout while these speeds are achieved. How many minutes until the turtle pops up on the dashboard ?

James.A

Reaction score
If everything at the charging station is working correctly. This also does not include time waiting in a line to get to the charging station.

Now about the videos above. I would love to see the miles of range readout while these speeds are achieved. How many minutes until the turtle pops up on the dashboard ?
From what has been said by the company - range is not the concern with these cars, performance is. Not a great selling point for an EV but that's what they are going for.

Mopar392

Reaction score
Here is a competitor losing more than half the price of every vehicle, but because of the emissions and fuel efficiency credits, they are able to still offer V8’s. Yet, they are not too keen on the next generations of the current models.

Unless, you are a faux greenie, come and tell me EV makes sense.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Dodge engineers once said a Hellcat can easily drain its gas tank well under an hour when driven at very high speed. Yet when driven conservatively, owners report fuel economy for all day trips nearing mid-20s mpg. I define conservatively as driven at interstate speeds while blending in traffic outside of major urban areas. Driving conditions like this are common on the prairie where I live, with speeds around mid-70 to low-80 mph range depending on conditions. Now a Hellcat is certainly overkill for such journeys, but the fact one can drive at interstate speeds for hours shows it is more than a one trick pony.

... come and tell me EV makes sense.
City cars, yes. Delivery vans, yes. After that it gets complicated. The ugly fact is most of the electric vehicle discussion is about battery electric power using lithium batteries. There is no one-size fits-all solution. If we want to see a successful example of a high speed vehicle with electric power, the TGV immediately comes to mind. That Tesla Plaid can match it for speed, but only for a few minutes. A battery electric 18-wheeler is impractical due to efficiency, infrastructure, and strategic resource management issues.

Electric transit busses make a lot of sense. Once upon a time, our nation's cities were teeming with electric busses. Chicago had the nation's largest fleet at one point. They weren't battery electric, however. They ran under cantenary electric wires and used trolley poles to obtain electricity. That why they are called trolley busses. (ETB is electric trolley bus.) Most systems disappeared in the wake of GM two-stroke diesels burning 4 to 5 gallons per dollar of fuel. GM sales people were also happy to point out their busses didn't require electric network maintenance. So do battery electric busses make sense? Of course not. The busses and charging stations aren't reliable enough and are inefficient. Municipal bus fleets discovered they will need a lot of back up busses to maintain route schedules. The specialized high speed charging network required for battery electric bus routes require maintenance with a crew of workers just as the trolley bus routes did.

One of the legacy trolley bus fleets is in Dayton, Ohio. While the concept of obsolescence was brought up on this thread, it is fascinating that federal and state of California government authorities are pushing so hard on a battery electric bus technology that is obsolete. One of the problems with trolley busses is they can't use a detour. Unlike a streetcar the ETB can change lanes, but if a portion of the route is blocked they're stuck. The transit company did a lot of research into range extenders to run off-wire. The best solution was a battery electric range extender provided by a German company. The system used in Dayton's busses uses far less batteries than the strictly battery electric bus drive-trains pushed by the government. The battery range on the newest Dayton ETBs is much shorter than an all battery setup, but is able to charge while moving under the catenary wire. Unlike what the government is pushing this system is reliable.

AlexB

Reaction score
Here is a competitor losing more than half the price of every vehicle, but because of the emissions and fuel efficiency credits, they are able to still offer V8’s. Yet, they are not too keen on the next generations of the current models.

Unless, you are a faux greenie, come and tell me EV makes sense.
Stellantis has stated their EV's are structured to make money.
Second, Stellantis has different emission profile than Ford, hence in the 2012-2019's the company was buying up credits,and still was paying a small fine.
Now, with change in Presidency in 2020, those fines will get way bigger & more aggressive.
Even if the Presidency did change, there's still the CARB Standards going up until 2035.

Mopar392

Reaction score
I get the idea and the importance of Stellantis getting and making their own EV.
My point is other than Tesla, everyone else is losing money on making these vehicles and the majority of the automaker started rethinking their EV strategies.
Except of Stellantis whom are getting on on full speed and switching a lot of their vehicles and brands to EV only.
Time will tell, and maybe Stellantis won’t see 2035 when the current government’s EV plan comes into effect.

AlexB

Reaction score
I get the idea and the importance of Stellantis getting and making their own EV.
My point is other than Tesla, everyone else is losing money on making these vehicles and the majority of the automaker started rethinking their EV strategies.
Except of Stellantis whom are getting on on full speed and switching a lot of their vehicles and brands to EV only.
Time will tell, and maybe Stellantis won’t see 2035 when the current government’s EV plan comes into effect.
But if you remember Stellantis plans was criticize for being EV light/slow. Stellantis in Europe have no choice long-term.
In U.S. they only American brand being made fully EV is the Chrysler brand.

patfromigh

Reaction score
What has me scratching my head is that the Wagoneer S and the Charger Daytona are outside the mainstream of buyers. When half of a manufacturer's products have to be zero emissions, it won't work by only emphasizing niche products. OK, we haven't seen the 4-door Charger yet. Will it be a practical family sedan? Will the batteries be well protected? If the typical buyer can't afford insurance, sales will be hard to come by. i'm including all the domestic Stellantis brands on these points. The early adapters have bought their Teslas, Rivians, and Lucids. These individuals are not mainstream buyers and have different tastes than mainstream consumers.

I'm now plugging in BEVs and PHEVs on a regular basis at work. I absolutely hate laminated touchscreen control panels in many of the recent Asian designs. A user shouldn't have to go through a bunch of menus to turn off a radio that's blasting garbage sounds. To go from that to a Wrangler 4Xe is a relief where I'm greeted by mostly analog gauges and controls. The recent Wranglers have a good touchscreen that is easy to figure out. I hope the designers for the Jeep Recon give it more of a Wrangler feel than that of a flying saucer developed by Atari. I remember how Jeep Wrangler fans raised hell about the square headlights back in the 1980s when the CJ series was replaced. When someone is driving they don't see the front grill, they see the instrument panel. Jeep designers have to tread lightly with their loyal buyers.

Stellantis also needs to double down on their Free-2-Move unit in the USA. It is here where they must out-Tesla the Tesla brand experience. There must be an ample network of charging stations to keep up with the electric vehicle fleet size. I also think they should channel as many Fiat 500e models through car sharing as possible. They need to tailor a few model trims to better fit rental and car sharing services. Stellantis has to prove they're in the game for good. I'm hoping also that one of the Stellantis brands will step in with an affordable to buy and own BEV. The Chevy Bolt had a lot of teething problems, but I feel that GM pulled the rug right out from under a significant segment of consumers.

Stellantis has a lot of work to do in convincing the skeptical public to purchase a battery electric vehicle from them.

PRM

Reaction score
I like its look. But they had better to have designed so it can be fitted with an internal combustion engine, otherwise its just a pile of (expensive) future scrap with a giant, toxic battery.

Users who are viewing this thread