What's new
Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dodge Hornet Falls to Second Slowest-Selling Car in America for June 2024

Dodge Hornet Falls to Second Slowest-Selling Car in America for June 2024​

Four Vehicles On Top-10 List Are From Stellantis...​

Image 213.jpeg

In the ever-changing world of car sales, keeping an eye on which models are moving quickly and which are sitting on lots can be crucial for buyers and dealers. The Dodge Hornet has found itself in an unfortunate position for the start of June. Once the slowest-selling car in America, it has now been bumped to the second spot by the Jaguar I-PACE.

The millions wasted on the Wagoneer would have been been better spent on a Journey replacement, an updated fuel efficienct 4, and an upgrade to the Hemi to make it meet emissions regs.
Now they have nothing in the CRV, Equinox segment, no V8 when GM and Ford still have them, and only now some different 4 bangers.
Wait till people realize they can only get a 2.0 in a GC instead of the 3.6 and maybe no Hurricane to replace the Hemi. It has the potential to make the slow seller list.

Build a compact SUV without all the issues with options to upgrade the engine. Honestly Mopar put an R/T badge on a vehicle that, in my opinion barely gets out of its own way. You might appeal to the right crowd to boost sales. There are very few choices out there for a compact/small SUV that actually moves.

Need to send some to my dealer because they can't keep them in stock. Who is holding them?

Build a compact SUV without all the issues with options to upgrade the engine. Honestly Mopar put an R/T badge on a vehicle that, in my opinion barely gets out of its own way. You might appeal to the right crowd to boost sales. There are very few choices out there for a compact/small SUV that actually moves.
Lets not pretend that is actually slow. It not as fast as Hemi cars but it far from slow.

No time to panic on the Hornet, but time to adjust the formula. it is not the first time corporate management has botched a North American launch of an American branded vehicle. One only needs to recall the mismanaged Dodge Dart, which started life equipped like a European car, with over blown expectations and greedy dealers looking to cash in on a hot item. Some minor adjustments followed after negative press and tarnished impressions then lead to cancelling an outstanding mature product without even a next generation update. Imagine how much better things would be for Dodge with a next generation or two compact Dart in their line up today. Sound like the Hornet launch to you too?
The Hornet is an excellent vehicle that has been over price, emphasizing performance over value in a market that demands that above all from a compact crossover.Marketing is still beating a dead horse when it needs a quick reboot.
Dodge did a reasonable styling effort on the Hornet, but not altering the basic rear end styling, tail lights in particular, was a mistake. Now the negative nannies are out there trashing the car and public sentiment is falling. Stupid stupid, stupid. Did I mention stupid?
Time to lower prices, get some better MPG capability and build a performance coupe off the platform that could be the performance compact vehicle they tried to build with the Hornet. This might be the investment needed to capitalize on the engineering costs without another mismanaged vehicle to apologize for that could have easily been avoided. Make it quick, your losing a good vehicle, or two, if you delay any longer. A coupe spin off just might save the day for Dodge. I call that Smart.

Last edited:
As we continue to see North American leadership abandoning the stla ship on a daily basis, could there be a correlation in the botched marketing and dismantling of what we used to call Mopar? I fear a lot of the old
Mopar hands see the train wreck coming and have decided it’s time to go. Not to worry friends, the French have always understood our market and made great inroads with car brands like……………………. Never mind

The millions wasted on the Wagoneer would have been been better spent on a Journey replacement, an updated fuel efficienct 4, and an upgrade to the Hemi to make it meet emissions regs.
Now they have nothing in the CRV, Equinox segment, no V8 when GM and Ford still have them, and only now some different 4 bangers.
Wait till people realize they can only get a 2.0 in a GC instead of the 3.6 and maybe no Hurricane to replace the Hemi. It has the potential to make the slow seller list.
"Now they have nothing "CRV, Equinox "segment"

What's called Compass & Bronco Sport.

No time to panic on the Hornet, but time to adjust the formula. it is not the first time corporate management has botched a North American launch of an American branded vehicle. One only needs to recall the mismanaged Dodge Dart, which started life equipped like a European car, with over blown expectations and greedy dealers looking to cash in on a hot item. Some minor adjustments followed after negative press and tarnished impressions then lead to cancelling an outstanding mature product without even a next generation update. Imagine how much better things would be for Dodge with a next generation or two compact Dart in their line up today. Sound like the Hornet launch to you too?
The Hornet is an excellent vehicle that has been over price, emphasizing performance over value in a market that demands that above all from a compact crossover.Marketing is still beating a dead horse when it needs a quick reboot.
Dodge did a reasonable styling effort on the Hornet, but not altering the basic rear end styling, tail lights in particular, was a mistake. Now the negative nannies are out there trashing the car and public sentiment is falling. Stupid stupid, stupid. Did I mention stupid?
Time to lower prices, get some better MPG capability and build a performance coupe off the platform that could be the performance compact vehicle they tried to build with the Hornet. This might be the investment needed to capitalize on the engineering costs without another mismanaged vehicle to apologize for that could have easily been avoided. Make it quick, your losing a good vehicle, or two, if you delay any longer. A coupe spin off just might save the day for Dodge. I call that Smart.
"Imagine how much better things would be for Dodge with a next generation or two compact Dart in their line up today"
Nope, sounds like the same old "Song & Dance" for Bankruptcy.

Journey was a cash cow Daimler era POC ….. sub-prime nothing good about other than it had a 3rd row, it was cheap, and the development was written off during the Fiat rescue. Not sure it was even as good as the bad Mitsubishi it was based on.

In case you all don’t know shipping is a disaster right now. I contend the biggest issue is that it’s not sold on what it is, which is very nice sport PHEV… it sister car win all sorts of awards and is well reviewed it EU… not pretending it’s a baby Giulia like Hornet as pretends it is a Baby Charger.

Combined with currency and shipping issues.

Journey was a cash cow Daimler era POC ….. sub-prime nothing good about other than it had a 3rd row, it was cheap, and the development was written off during the Fiat rescue. Not sure it was even as good as the bad Mitsubishi it was based on.

In case you all don’t know shipping is a disaster right now. I contend the biggest issue is that it’s not sold on what it is, which is very nice sport PHEV… it sister car win all sorts of awards and is well reviewed it EU… not pretending it’s a baby Giulia like Hornet as pretends it is a Baby Charger.

Combined with currency and shipping issues.
Always with the apologist excuses. The thing is too small, over priced and slow. I had the misfortune of driving one of these things and was shocked that anyone tries to sell this as a performance option. Should top out in the high 20k price range at best.

Development costs are shared across a platform. The costs for the Wagoneer are shared by the Ram 1500. Those vehicles are evolving towards the STLA frame platform, but they still share a lot of engineering. Any claims of money wasted falls short.

The Compass is competitive in its segment, but it is getting long in the tooth. Active followers of the Mopar Insiders forum know that a replacement for the Compass, based on the STLA Medium platform is on the way. Could a proper Dodge Journey replacement be built on this platform? I would think so, but if such a project was approved, it would have to be done on the back of the next Compass. Resources are being spent on the STLA Medium Compass. Any other vehicle derivatives on this platform would share the costs of development. Should Dodge return to marketing mainstream family vehicles? If a Journey replacement was offered, it could be greeted with such comments as, "The thing is too small, over priced and slow." Such a vehicle will be introduced as a battery electric first, with some sort of Hybrid to follow, because that is what the company is doing now. If a person wants acceleration, buy an EV, otherwise the top powertrain on this platform will be a four cylinder hybrid.

Should Dodge return to offering a Dart sedan? It would have to compete against what's left of the Korean sedans and the Honda Civic /Toyota Corolla juggernaut. Success for a new generation Dart could be found as a Prius competitor, but the Dodge wouldn't have any economy of scale helping it. The Prius shares costs with many other Toyota products around the globe, that is why the base price is low.

The automotive landscape has changed radically since the pandemic and the subsequent supply chain disruptions and the EV delusion. No one is obligated to buy a CDJR branded vehicle. If one feels there are better buys in the marketplace, purchase one of those.

"Now they have nothing "CRV, Equinox "segment"

What's called Compass & Bronco Sport..
Compass is not a CRV, Equinox competitor. It is way too small compared to those vehicles and others in that class. The company has nothing in that class right now and hasn't for a while.

Notice every vehicle except the Hornet is 50K plus, while the Hornet is between $32-45K? So question is it about the money or just poor marketing by Stellantis.

Notice every vehicle except the Hornet is 50K plus, while the Hornet is between $32-45K? So question is it about the money or just poor marketing by Stellantis.
Have you seen a single ad bragging about it being a PHEV? comparing it to PHEVs... .even mentioning it is a PHEV. I pay attention and I haven't. All I see is it being co-marketed with cars they don't even make anymore.

Have you seen a single ad bragging about it being a PHEV? comparing it to PHEVs... .even mentioning it is a PHEV. I pay attention and I haven't. All I see is it being co-marketed with cars they don't even make anymore.
You proved my point. Poor marketing.

Compass is not a CRV, Equinox competitor. It is way too small compared to those vehicles and others in that class. The company has nothing in that class right now and hasn't for a while.
Have you been in a Equinox
Headroom (1st / 2nd): 40 inches / 38.5 inches. Legroom (1st / 2nd): 40.9 inches / 39.9 inches. Shoulder Room (1st / 2nd): 57.2 inches / 55.5 inches.
Equinox

Front/Rear Shoulder Room: 56.7 inches / 55.1 inches. Front/Rear Legroom: 41.8 inches / 38.3 inches. Front/Rear Hip Room: 54.1 inches / 49.2 inches.Front/Rear Headroom: 39.2 inches / 38.5 inches
Compass

Have you been in a Equinox
Headroom (1st / 2nd): 40 inches / 38.5 inches. Legroom (1st / 2nd): 40.9 inches / 39.9 inches. Shoulder Room (1st / 2nd): 57.2 inches / 55.5 inches.
Equinox

Front/Rear Shoulder Room: 56.7 inches / 55.1 inches. Front/Rear Legroom: 41.8 inches / 38.3 inches. Front/Rear Hip Room: 54.1 inches / 49.2 inches.Front/Rear Headroom: 39.2 inches / 38.5 inches
Compass
Compass cargo capacity, 27.2 Cu ft seat up, 59.8 seat folded, Equinox, 29.9, 63.9, CRV , 39.3, 76.5

Back