Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dodge Challenger Loses Its Crown As Best-Selling Pony Car In 2023

In the realm of modern muscle cars, the Dodge Challenger (LA) has long been a formidable contender, often locking horns with Ford’s Mustang in a battle for sales supremacy. However, the curtains have drawn on this iconic rivalry as the Challenger ended production back in December, conceding its long-held title to the Mustang. The 2023 … (read full article...)

Image 38.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

EddyHernandez24

Reaction score
In the realm of modern muscle cars, the Dodge Challenger (LA) has long been a formidable contender, often locking horns with Ford’s Mustang in a battle for sales supremacy. However, the curtains have drawn on this iconic rivalry as the Challenger ended production back in December, conceding its long-held title to the Mustang. The 2023 … (read full article...)
How did the Mustang do versus the Charger?

crouchta

Reaction score
I would argue the downturn in Challenger sales is not consumer preference, but crazy markups by dealers on remaining stock. I guess that could be consumer preference - preference to not pay over sticker.....

TripleT

Reaction score
Well, they are winding down production last month and yeah, they are asking quite a bit for them. The inventory needs to last until LB29 is up and running.

People can argue about FCA under SM, but with almost every new model launch he had the new capacity running prior to end of the prior product production ending. Always keeping the supply chain up.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would argue the downturn in Challenger sales is not consumer preference, but crazy markups by dealers on remaining stock. I guess that could be consumer preference - preference to not pay over sticker.....

Exactly right... add in inflation and high interest rates and bam!

TripleT

Reaction score
Exactly right... add in inflation and high interest rates and bam!
Artificial scarcity..... well now actual scarcity. Ford is still printing Mustangs and has too to cover fixed costs.

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
Not surprised that the Challenger V8 and Chargers are dead. The Mustang wins again with that 5.0 V8 Coyote engine to settle the competition since 1967 with Camaro as well as with the Challenger when it came aboard in 1970. No more magazine comparisons in Motor Trend or Car n Driver. The End.🤪

TripleT

Reaction score
Not surprised that the Challenger V8 and Chargers are dead. The Mustang wins again with that 5.0 V8 Coyote engine to settle the competition since 1967 with Camaro as well as with the Challenger when it came aboard in 1970. No more magazine comparisons in Motor Trend or Car n Driver. The End.🤪
Well given that Giant majority of Mustangs will come Turbo 4, they can manage to avoid the EPA fines with a few Coyotes thrown in for good measure.

If we are basing most our objection not on performance but on exhaust note.... Given the Hurricane beat the Eagle and Apache in every other Metric, power, torque, efficiency, weight, simplicity, durability, packaging, potential and Hellcat level engines on the way ...... when they go have the Exhaust Note contest in Magazine business (get off my law) which hangs on by a thread when that printed paper shows up with news 2 month late.

Y'all have the not existing Chevy or whiny flat plane Corvette engine, vs the Whistling even firing Hurricane, or the two Cats in bag fighting racket from the Coyote. I'll pick the Hurricane especially if they give it a bit of tune for the performance model.

Now I'll give you the Apache is Damn near one of the best sounding engines that was ever made, 340 pure music, the old 426 thump tha thump tha thump ..... all just musical. Come on Hellcat, just Ok.

But the whole idea that all V8 sound good is simple fantasy, and that the Coyote is even on the list is comical. Followed a brand new Darkhorse the other day, he got on it, Not sure why I wasn't even in my Charger. The Hideous racket came from the car was embarrassing.

Last edited:

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
Local Dodge dealership has never had their lot so full of Challengers and Chargers of ALL varieties of all models.
There are SS and Hellcat models (USED) which are over $100,000+🤑They have 2 NEW shaker widebodies "Swinger" models on the lot (OUTSIDE):eek: for over 2 months now in hot sun and rain.
No room inside the showroom that is full of USED HC, Last Call models, SS and Jail Break and whatever other models there are as there that make these cars and models that look so much alike yet supposedly so rare by production numbers. Who can tell? Might as well get a V6 Challenger (still overpriced at this stealership) Because after looking at all of these cars in the showroom they all look the same other than the prices being asked.🤑

I know why their lot is so full since I paid a visit there and the cars are NOT moving. I have been watching for months now.
As I get boots on the ground of their lot, different vultures swoop down on me instantly constantly pestering me within 30 seconds as I enter the lot to view the two WB Challenger with shaker and Swinger options. Then every minute after that another different one approaches me as I move to different locations in this stealership from outside to inside the showroom. Tons of cars to look at. They just won't leave me alone. Asking me tons of questions interrogating me.

It's because the cars are all marked up and over what they are worth. Not many fools are going to pay $83,000+ 🤑for a Challenger Swinger model. To say these cars will be collectors cars in the future is so old now and holds no water anymore. I can get a new 2024 NEW Mustang GT instead for less $$$.
The reality has set in and emotions of purchasing these vehicles is gone with the high prices and interest rates this stealership offers. These cars will never be worth what this stealership is asking. 🤪
This mark-up pricing also carries down to the Challenger V6, Chargers and Challenger GT cars they have on the lot.

Also take into account that Stellantis is now offering a limited amount of Durango 392 powered SUV to be produced. Haven't heard this same story line before with other Challenger models in the last few years. They have pissed off a lot of customers that bought so called limited production cars only for them to be produced again. The words "limited" and "last" are words that are too commonly used by this soon to be out of business company that made a big mistake of no longer producing the very popular Challenger V8 cars.
I can equate "limited" and "last" (very common words used in the Stellantis vocabulary as a marketing ploy aka: lies) as using up what leftover parts are left, exhaust those parts to get the maximum top dollar from the consumer 🤑 . Again just more lies aka MARKETING STRAGETIES.

Last edited:

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
Well given that Giant majority of Mustangs will come Turbo 4, they can manage to avoid the EPA fines with a few Coyotes thrown in for good measure.

If we are basing most our objection not on performance but on exhaust note.... Given the Hurricane beat the Eagle and Apache in every other Metric, power, torque, efficiency, weight, simplicity, durability, packaging, potential and Hellcat level engines on the way ...... when they go have the Exhaust Note contest in Magazine business (get off my law) which hangs on by a thread when that printed paper shows up with news 2 month late.

Y'all have the not existing Chevy or whiny flat plane Corvette engine, vs the Whistling even firing Hurricane, or the two Cats in bag fighting racket from the Coyote. I'll pick the Hurricane especially if they give it a bit of tune for the performance model.

Now I'll give you the Apache is Damn near one of the best sounding engines that was ever made, 340 pure music, the old 426 thump tha thump tha thump ..... all just musical. Come on Hellcat, just Ok.

But the whole idea that all V8 sound good is simple fantasy, and that the Coyote is even on the list is comical. Followed a brand new Darkhorse the other day, he got on it, Not sure why I wasn't even in my Charger. The Hideous racket came from the car was embarrassing.
I test drove an older model Mustang GT with less power than the new current Mustang GT and the less power 5.0 Coyote engine with 10 speed automatic is a killer high RPM engine that is scary fast off the line acceleration that is a SP 392 killer.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I test drove an older model Mustang GT with less power than the new current Mustang GT and the less power 5.0 Coyote engine with 10 speed automatic is a killer high RPM engine that is scary fast off the line acceleration that is a SP 392 killer.
The V8 GT Mustangs in our fleet that I have driven had a tepid throttle response. There was no power unless it was up in the rev band. I had a chance to be alone with a 392 Challenger, it had an instant throttle response with strong acceleration. Just me I guess.

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
The V8 GT Mustangs in our fleet that I have driven had a tepid throttle response. There was no power unless it was up in the rev band. I had a chance to be alone with a 392 Challenger, it had an instant throttle response with strong acceleration. Just me I guess.
The acceleration is great on the 392 SP Challenger as I drove a few of those too but I still preferred the extra size trunk and passenger interior space which has a lot more than the Mustang has to offer in space and in a much more comfortable ride in the Challenger. The Challenger is a better cruising car and I can carry more in it in day to day driving.
But I'm onto Dodge's "Last" or "limited production vocabulary which is just a marketing ploy to get maximum top dollar from the consumer and that will not work on me.

TripleT

Reaction score
Well Challenger is full sized car in comparison... the Mustang has to interior Space of Fiat 500 A series car, even said since the biggest Pushback on the inline 6 beyond people who worship the god of V. EXHAUST NOTE

At full song the Coyote sounds like crap, there is no getting around it, now people will say it is subjective, SUBJECTIVELY is very bad.

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
I don't care about the sound as one can always go to the aftermarket to change exhaust on ANY vehicle if that is a major concern that bothers the owner of the vehicle as many of these drivers do pull off a perfectly new exhaust which does not need replacing. It may require replacement if one keeps the car long enough down the road out of necessity.
Personally I prefer the most quiet exhaust (not to attract unwanted attention-as I have been there and done it with Flowmasters and prefer to leave it factory to save $$$ and put that $$$ or save it where it is most needed. The exhaust doesn't affect the performance as much as the noise level.

I find the 392 SP Challenger factory exhaust loud enough for me especially for my driving style as I don't drive all the time with a wide open throttle or rev the engine to make noise. It can get annoying but that's what people do to get attention.

As for the 2024 Mustang GT that is all we have left if one wants a brand new vehicle with a V8 with factory warranty. Don't ever buy any of these types of muscle/pony cars used because you will end up with some else's problems who likely abused the car and couldn't afford it so they sell it to the next victim.

TripleT

Reaction score
I don't care about the sound as one can always go to the aftermarket to change exhaust on ANY vehicle if that is a major concern that bothers the owner of the vehicle as many of these drivers do pull off a perfectly new exhaust which does not need replacing. It may require replacement if one keeps the car long enough down the road out of necessity.
Personally I prefer the most quiet exhaust (not to attract unwanted attention-as I have been there and done it with Flowmasters and prefer to leave it factory to save $$$ and put that $$$ or save it where it is most needed. The exhaust doesn't affect the performance as much as the noise level.

I find the 392 SP Challenger factory exhaust loud enough for me especially for my driving style as I don't drive all the time with a wide open throttle or rev the engine to make noise. It can get annoying but that's what people do to get attention.

As for the 2024 Mustang GT that is all we have left if one wants a brand new vehicle with a V8 with factory warranty. Don't ever buy any of these types of muscle/pony cars used because you will end up with some else's problems who likely abused the car and couldn't afford it so they sell it to the next victim.
Well the Hurricane will be more quiet for sure, as it has two Mufflers that spin attached. When complaining about the new engine which is in every Metric superior to what it replaces that has been the primary complaint.

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
Well the Hurricane will be more quiet for sure, as it has two Mufflers that spin attached. When complaining about the new engine which is in every Metric superior to what it replaces that has been the primary complaint.
Yes but now you are referring to the EV model and I don't have an interest in EV's since our infrastructure cannot support EV's at this time plus they cost more to purchase and don't last as long as ICE.

Users who are viewing this thread