Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dodge Brand Has A Lot Of Potential Value, But Can It Get There?

In the ever-evolving automotive industry landscape, few brands carry the weight of heritage and expectation like Dodge. Yet, recent years have seen the once-mighty brand face challenges that have led to declining sales and a sense of uncertainty among enthusiasts and industry observers alike. However, amidst the turmoil, there lies a glimmer of hope and potential for Dodge to reclaim its position as a formidable force in the global market. The decline in Dodge’s sales trajectory can be traced back to pivotal decisions, such as discontinuing popular models like the Dodge Journey and Grand Caravan. The elimination of these mainstream … (read full article...)

Image 70.jpeg

bill burke

Reaction score
Refreshing article, thanks. Few disagreements here, you got it right.
Solutions.
1- Spin off a sedan and a coupe hatchback off the Hornet utilizing the current power trains with a top model with a more powerful GLH engine.
2- Reprice the Hornet Base, GT. R/T and GLH.
3- Go Sporty with Durango with two and three row versions.Hurricane power.
4- Revive the Viper off the Maserati MC -30
Problem solved.

scatpack_69

Reaction score
Do NOT revive Viper. It’s dead, leave it be.

A Viper is, was, and always will be V10, RWD, 6 speed manual. Anything else is NOT a Viper. Since none of those exist then there cannot be a new Viper.

I’d rather it lay permanently dormant than ruined

patfromigh

Reaction score
Dodge is already an international brand to a limited extent. There are a small number of outlets in the Middle East and Latin America. I'm considering Mexico as separate from the rest of Latin America for this conversation, since there are numerous Dodge dealers in Mexico. The Dodge lineup in Mexico is also more rounded out offering the A-segment Attitude and the Dodge Journey. The Attitude is a rebadged Mitsubishi Mirage. I don't know what the fate of that model will be in Mexico, but the Mirage in the US is on its final lap. The Dodge Journey is built by GAC in China. It is a safe bet we won't see that model sold north of the Rio Grande. The TOFAS built Dodge Neon was dropped in 2021. I think it might still be sold elsewhere.

Here are my solutions for reviving the Dodge brand.

1. Bring back the Dodge Caliber. I'm looking at this from a size and proportion concept. It doesn't't have to use the styling of the old Caliber and certainly none of the old engineering. I would keep it as a tall hatch, however. Finding a place to build it will be a problem because the old Caliber's dimensions would fit the STLA "Smart" platform. The latest Citroen C-3 Aircross is slightly longer than the Jeep Patriot and uses the Smart platform. Find a place to build them together and sell them here. I would also take advantage of the Smart platform's single electric motor, front drive design for an affordable EV offering. I would also offer the Caliber with IC engines using the new mild hybrid technology, like the other Stellantis offerings of this size.
1716946667793.png
I don't know if the 2 liter GME four cylinder will fit, but a SRT4 version would be nice.

2. Bring back the Dodge Journey. The next Jeep Compass is to built on the STLA-medium platform. It will probably be larger than the current Compass. I say keep the Compass as a two row vehicle, but build a Dodge Journey on the same line as slightly longer three row offering on the same platform. We were cheated out of the SUSW and CUSW three row products sold elsewhere.

3. Build the Dodge Circuit. There are the resources to build such a vehicle within the global framework of Stellantis. Dodge doesn't need to use a Lotus glider for an EV sports car.

4. Looking to the past doesn't have to be nostalgic. If Dodge is to continue with the Hornet, here is an example of where they need to go for inspiration.

5. Less is more when it comes to batteries. The fast charging, long range goals for EVs are self defeating because they run counter to affordability and efficiency. The Ram ProMaster EV doesn't have a huge battery pack because of its urban mission. How about offering an EV taxi package on a Dodge Charger 4 door with a smaller, lighter battery pack for urban duty. Stellantis could offer an exclusive charging network for Taxi and Uber/Lyft drivers using their brands.

Getting back to Mexico, it will be interesting to see what happens to the Dodge lineup in that market now that Leapmotor is part of the Stellantis universe.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Within a matter of hours from my last post on this thread, Carlos Tavares announced a $25,000 EV Jeep model for the US. He hinted it would be based on the Citroen E-C3 pattern, with cost savings through simplicity, larger but fewer stampings, and fewer trim variations.

So, why not a Dodge Version? The same thing could be built along the lines of the old Dodge Cailber. Offer both an EV and hybrid variations, just like Citroen does with the newest C-3.

Last edited:

ipa0628

Reaction score
Within a matter of hours from my last post on this thread, Carlos Tavares announced a $25,000 EV Jeep model for the US. He hinted it would be based on the Citroen E-C3 pattern, with cost savings through simplicity, larger but fewer stampings, and fewer trim variations.

So, why not a Dodge Version? The same thing could be built along the lines of the old Dodge Cailber. Offer both an EV and hybrid variations, just like Citroen does with the newest C-3.
Once again it is Jeep, Jeep, Jeep, so sick of it.

patfromigh

Reaction score

I can understand why they are going with a Jeep model, but if they follow the Citroen e-C3 recipe, it will be a front driver. Such a vehicle will be perfectly fine for the Acela Corridor and Southern retirement communities, where most of the EV sales will occur. If they want a sales success for the other half of the country, they must offer a hybrid. The only acceptable hybrid for a small Jeep will be something like the Avenger's 4Xe system.

Dodge needs a decent entry level vehicle. A Caliber style hatchback would distinguish this Dodge from the square Jeep. As an EV it would be fine for the same areas of the country where the Jeep would do well. The big difference is a Dodge doesn't have to have off-road expectations. A front drive hybrid option would be totally acceptable for the other half of the country. A simpler front drive hybrid would also still be affordable.

scatpack_69

Reaction score
Jeep’s the cash cow right now. No jeep, fold up Dodge and Ram and Chrysler.

And I mean cash cow as a value, not actually selling vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread