Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dodge’s Next Vehicle Will Be A SUV Dubbed The “Hornet” For 2023:

Dodge’s Next Vehicle Will Be A SUV Dubbed The “Hornet” For 2023:​

Hornet Nameplate Will Return For Upcoming SUV...​

It seems like forever ago, but back in November 2019, we discussed Dodge's intentions of bringing a new performance SUV to the market to replace the gap in the lineup left by the successful Dodge Journey. Now while the Dodge brand continues to boast itself as a high-performance"muscle car" brand in the United States and Canada, there are a few Dodge brand vehicles outside the United States and Canada that are still based on front-wheel-drive architectures.

1623043119181.png

Last edited by a moderator:

TripleT

Reaction score
@TripleT
Lightweight Phase 2? I'm not sure, it could be. This is already 2021 and a lot has been improved in terms of materials in comparison to Giulia and Stelvio. Even in "regular" materials like steel. There are more and more Gen 3 steels.

Handling? Torsional rigidity helps but usually it adds weight which can be somewhat mitigated. But what they can easily improve in comparison to current Small Wide offering is suspension. For example lower unsprung mass with use of mre exotic or expensive materials. Cars on CUSW or Giorgio have a lot of aluminium suspension parts which is not the case with current crop of Small Wide.

For sure it is a Phase 2, Phase 1 was the G & S, for sure more metal replacement, clever design of materials. It is beyond the first 2 new Alfa Models. For sure it was... if Pepe doesn't ruin it with slightly cheaper but conventional parts.

TripleT

Reaction score
DCT isn't going to fly here. Will need a conventionally feeling transmission.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
DCT isn't going to fly here. Will need a conventionally feeling transmission.

Anyway with P2 MHEV system you start (from a standstill) with an electric motor. With this tech DCT drawbacks are mitigated.

TripleT

Reaction score
Just saying, it needs to feel out of gear at a stop, and not feel anything like the 500L... Yikes what a...... tu.... never mind.

AlexB

Reaction score
(not so) Funny that Buicks produced and shipped from China that are 'acceptable' with the U.S Consumer in light of the current issues and grandstanding. While the Renegade comes from Poland and has been relatively 'accepted', it will be interesting to see if Peugeot-French Based designs will be accepted here in light of past Renualt-French acceptance here!
Renegade is Italy.But you are dead on about GM and China & Chinese parts.

BWS

Reaction score
Welcome, Not that kind of site, if you want a place for this I can point you there.
What kind of site is it there pal? I read these things daily. You expect me to think I am the first person that’s been on here with a disparaging comment? And yes, I’ve owned Italian. And no, they are not much when it comes to quality.

AlexB

Reaction score
What kind of site is it there pal? I read these things daily. You expect me to think I am the first person that’s been on here with a disparaging comment? And yes, I’ve owned Italian. And no, they are not much when it comes to quality.
This not certain “Par” site.
And its not “they are “. Without FIAT, Mopar doesn’t exist.
You have a much better point of discussing about overall Stellantis/FCA quality.

BWS

Reaction score
This not certain “Par” site.
And its not “they are “. Without FIAT, Mopar doesn’t exist.
You have a much better point of discussing about overall Stellantis/FCA quality.
Actually it is “ they are” . Italian cars, “they are” not much when it comes to quality . Check your grammar before you check my grammar .

BWS

Reaction score
Actually it is “ they are” . Italian cars, “they are” not much when it comes to quality . Check your grammar before you check my grammar .
And sadly, Mopar ceased to exist in 1998. Now all we have are the last vestiges of what used to be. But I will give it to Iacocca. I envisioned this global concept generations ahead of the rest. Somehow though, I don’t think he would approve.

AlexB

Reaction score
Actually it not “ they are”…. Company is called Stellantis, you might want to check the name instead of grammar.
I’m pointing out that bring up your so-called pass experience with a European product shouldn’t cause you to cast delusions about this particular crossover product that haven’t even been produced yet.

Last edited:

BWS

Reaction score
Actually it not “ they are”…. Company is called Stellantis, you might want to check the name not the grammar.
I’m pointing out that bring up your so-called passed experience with a European product shouldn’t cause you cast this product that haven’t even been produced yet.
Thanks for setting me straight AlexB. My years of living in Europe and driving Fiats didn’t afford me much experience with the line.

AlexB

Reaction score
Thanks for setting me straight AlexB. My years of living in Europe and driving Fiats didn’t afford me much experience with the line.
Your case would be creditable if A: Introduce yourself!:New Member Introductions
B: Experience with Post-Chrysler Bankruptcy (2009) FIAT models in Europe.

Last edited:

AlexB

Reaction score
Now back to this Stellantis vehicle….
I hope dealers don’t try to automatically use this product as a loss-leader/price teaser to boost traffic into dealers.

The most similar thing this reminds me of and what I believe reviewers/media will compare this to is Mazda CX-5.

James.A

Reaction score
What are the odds that this actually comes out and doesn't go the way of the large car refreshes, "next-gen" large cars, Charger-styled HEMi powered SUV etc that we heard were in development/coming the past 5 years or so? A 1.5L 4 pot sounds like a disappointing rental warrior and that makes me think they'll actually make this one - but still, what are the odds?

AlexB

Reaction score
What are the odds that this actually comes out and doesn't go the way of the large car refreshes, "next-gen" large cars, Charger-styled HEMi powered SUV etc that we heard were in development/coming the past 5 years or so? A 1.5L 4 pot sounds like a disappointing rental warrior and that makes me think they'll actually make this one - but still, what are the odds?
First, in previous investor calls, Richard Palmer (FIAT/FCA/Stellantis CFO) stated the company, just like FCA will aggressively manage product spending. Some Stellantis programs will get reprioritized, that’s just business.
With that stated, this Dodge is in the final 18 or less so months before launch.

Archknight

Reaction score
Now back to this Stellantis vehicle….
I hope dealers don’t try to automatically use this product as a loss-leader/price teaser to boost traffic into dealers.

The most similar thing this reminds me of and what I believe reviewers/media will compare this to is Mazda CX-5.
I think you meant CX3 or CX30, around the size of the Compass, Crosstrek, etc--which isn't a bad place to start. Maybe with Mazda's push upmarket, Dodge as a niche player can actually get some of that same treatment from Stellantis, at least on the interior treatment.

Currently with the Compass sitting at almost $25K at entry, where would this sit considering its platform mate is likely to sit at over $30K? Also, with every model being exclusive to NA, they could use higher grade materials. Setting it directly at models like the Encore GX and Countryman.

James.A

Reaction score
First, in previous investor calls, Richard Palmer (FIAT/FCA/Stellantis CFO) stated the company, just like FCA will aggressively manage product spending. Some Stellantis programs will get reprioritized, that’s just business.
With that stated, this Dodge is in the final 18 or less so months before launch.
So we don't really know. I guess we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread