Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Demon 170 Takes On The Lucid Air Sapphire Down The 1/4-Mile

In the realm of high-performance cars, few beasts roar as fiercely as the 2023 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon 170. With a jaw-dropping 1,025 horsepower packed under its hood, this purple marvel stands as a testament to American muscle car ingenuity. But as formidable as it may seem, it found itself challenged by an unlikely contender at Bradenton Motorsports Park: the electrifying Lucid Air Sapphire. Picture this showdown: the Demon 170, stripped of passenger seats, sporting racing wheels, and drag-ready tires, poised at the starting line. Its engine, fueled by the potent E85, promises a blistering sprint down the quarter-mile stretch. … (read full article...)

Demon 170 vs Sapphire - 1.jpeg

patfromigh

Reaction score
If somebody can afford the near quarter million buck price of the Lucid, they can afford a winter beater to get places the other two-thirds of the year.

I forgot to mention most Hellcat powered products are probably three season vehicles as well, but cool (not frigid) weather doesn't bother them, so they have more calendar days to play in.

Last edited:

cammerjeff

Reaction score
I expected the outcome, but it still doesn't mean I would ever want to own one. A big part of the racing experience to me is more than reaction time and final results. Its about driver skill and consistency. I understand that a powerful electric car will be almost unbeatable in a drag race, but I often wonder how the same powerful but heavy vehicle would perform on a road course? Its just like I understand that 99% of the time a modern automatic transmission will be faster than me in my manual transmission car. But the experience is not the same to me. The fast electric cars I have driven just seem like very fast very fancy golf carts.
No real driver skill needed. Just one old ex road racers opinion, others may vary. It is very much like my opinion of the C8 Corvette, Great performing car, realistic price, looks are soso to my eyes. If I could get one with a manual transmission I would be tempted. But economics have eliminated that option so I will just stick with my ancient sports cars.

TripleT

Reaction score
Think the Daytona needs to beat this and the Plaid

patfromigh

Reaction score
Think the Daytona needs to beat this and the Plaid
I posted this line in another thread.
I'm waiting for the technology to allow for a street/strip version of the electric Daytona. Cut down the battery pack to 100 mile range, use the latest 800V motors, and make up the range loss with a swappable battery pack. Run with battery pack out for lightweight performance, put one back in for everyday use.

Users who are viewing this thread