Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compacting Market: Chrysler Needs a Small Crossover

Compacting Market: Chrysler Needs a Small Crossover
...and the Tipo hatchback would be a great place to start!

100X-b-Watermark-2-780x405.jpg

Fiat Tipo-based Chrysler 100X Design. (Ryan Dodd).

A change has been occurring in North America for several years now. Passenger cars have fallen out of favor with consumers as crossover, SUV, and pickup sales have exploded thanks to their increased practicality by way of higher ground clearance, all-weather capability, and easier access to cargo. The increase in crossover sales has been covered extensively by many automotive publications, including by Mopar Insiders. Looking past the decline of passenger cars, it is not hard to conclude that a brand needs crossovers, SUVs, and pickups to survive – key components that are currently missing from the Chrysler brand.

Right now, Chrysler is surviving on only two models: the 300 sedan and the Pacifica minivan. Rumored to be joining the Chrysler lineup in the near future is a midsize three-row crossover to replace the dated Dodge Journey in showrooms, a large three-row crossover based on the Pacifica’s architecture to compete with the likes of the Traverse, Enclave, and Pilot, and eventually a smaller MPV similar in function to the highly-advanced Portal concept.

Missing from these plans is a compact crossover to satisfy the customers turned off by the off-road-focused Renegade and Compass crossovers. While midsize crossover sales have seen sales increases at the expense of sedans, the small crossover segment provides much more opportunity. For example, in the United States last month, the Explorer and RAV4 were the best sellers in the midsize and small SUV segments, respectively. However, the RAV4 sold 41,093 units while the Explorer sold 22,782; even the best selling midsize crossover sold only around 55% of the volume of the best selling compact crossover. So clearly, there are more sales opportunities to be had in the small SUV segment than in the midsize segment, especially if Chrysler can include an appealing blend of utility, efficiency, and capability, all at a low cost and without stepping on the toes of the Renegade and Compass. I believe this is where the Tipo comes in.

To read the complete article, click here.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Or... Chrsylerized Compass. Add a three row Compass based CUV in the mix.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Or... Chrsylerized Compass. Add a three row Compass based CUV in the mix.
Both. Give Chrysler as many crossovers as possible IMO to take the mainstream pressure off of Jeep so they are free to focus on making the most capable vehicles possible.

TripleT

Reaction score
This minus the NA certification could be done for a few hundred thousand dollars, seems like wise investment, give the dealers another low price entry for lot traffic.

cgseller

Reaction score
I know people who loved the PT Cruiser. They liked the size of it, the taller stance, and the unique but not offensive styling. The 500x is actually similar in some of those regards, but the bug-eyes are similar to the original compass which had a love/hate kind of polarizing reaction.

Moving the 500x to a Chrysler, giving it a 200 like interior, and calling it a people mover with upgraded rear seating could prove a great modern Buick competitor.

Think
* https://www.buick.com/specials-and-offers/encore (75-100k/yr)
* https://www.toyota.com/corollahatchback/ (20k/yr)
* https://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/niro/2018 (20k/yr)

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Both. Give Chrysler as many crossovers as possible IMO to take the mainstream pressure off of Jeep so they are free to focus on making the most capable vehicles possible.

IMO. Jeep Compass had a very attractive price in many markets. I'm not sure if there is a place for Fiat or Chrysler branded versions in Europe or North America.

I'm behind the idea of pushing Fiat 500X as a entrance level vehicle in North America. Lets make all CDJR dealers a Fiat dealer.

For a 3 row Small Wide cars. I think that under a Jeep moniker it fits perfectly in India and South America and maybe even Europe. I think that there should be a Fiat branded version in Europe. Certainly there will be a one for South America.
And I'm completely behind the idea of a versions under a Chrysler brand for North America. It should be produced in Toluca together with a Compass.

I don't know what @redriderbob thinks about my last idea. But I've been pushing it for long time.
That could also open a place for a Giorgio based Jeep Cherokee if they opt for that route. Make Belvidere as a Giorgio production hub.

And finally.
Jeep Urban 'UV is coming. I'm not completely sure what it is. But for markets outside of North America it sounds like something very attractive in a Jeep line up.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I know people who loved the PT Cruiser. They liked the size of it, the taller stance, and the unique but not offensive styling. The 500x is actually similar in some of those regards, but the bug-eyes are similar to the original compass which had a love/hate kind of polarizing reaction.

Moving the 500x to a Chrysler, giving it a 200 like interior, and calling it a people mover with upgraded rear seating could prove a great modern Buick competitor.

Think

500X is a superior product in comparison to Korean Opel Mo... Uhm Buick Encore.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if Fiat's failure in the US has been because of lack a lack of dealerships or just flawed consumer perception. I think it's probably both, and only fixing one side of that equation will not likely solve their problems. If anything, the Fiat 500X should be badged as a PT Cruiser to avoid association with the Fiat 500 brand. Not that their products are bad, a lot of people just think of them as tiny and impractical vehicles and don't realize that 500L and 500X exist.

If not badging the 500X as a PT Cruiser, it should become a Fiat outside of the 500 brand with less "cutesy" styling. But at that point, they're creating an entirely new product when it would likely be much easier to bring the existing Tipo to the US with some minor modifications.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score

Think
Agreed. We sell a lot of Trax here and they aren't great. Interior quality is awful and they don't feel solid at all.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO. Jeep Compass had a very attractive price in many markets. I'm not sure if there is a place for Fiat or Chrysler branded versions in Europe or North America.

I'm behind the idea of pushing Fiat 500X as a entrance level vehicle in North America. Lets make all CDJR dealers a Fiat dealer.

For a 3 row Small Wide cars. I think that under a Jeep moniker it fits perfectly in India and South America and maybe even Europe. I think that there should be a Fiat branded version in Europe. Certainly there will be a one for South America.
And I'm completely behind the idea of a versions under a Chrysler brand for North America. It should be produced in Toluca together with a Compass.

I don't know what @redriderbob thinks about my last idea. But I've been pushing it for long time.
That could also open a place for a Giorgio based Jeep Cherokee if they opt for that route. Make Belvidere as a Giorgio production hub.

And finally.
Jeep Urban 'UV is coming. I'm not completely sure what it is. But for markets outside of North America it sounds like something very attractive in a Jeep line up.

The only thing with a 3-row Small Wide CUV is your already pushing into CUSW territory. So like the Compass actually has more interior room than the Cherokee. That's my beef.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing with a 3-row Small Wide CUV is your already pushing into CUSW territory. So like the Compass actually has more interior room than the Cherokee. That's my beef.
It would probably allow a cheaper entry price that would appeal to budget minded buyers who are still interested in the existing Journey.

BobbiBigWheels

Reaction score
A Chrysler Journey with a ZF 9 Speed and no V6 options but Turbo 4 and 2.4L as the base would be just fine for us. 5 + 2 seating, the "in a pinch" 3rd row is good by me. We sell vans for those that really need 7 seats.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Small Wide based car can be sold all over the world. A CUSW based one can't m it would be to big and to heavy.

Small Wide has a superior packaging compared to a CUSW.
Only issue for some can be absence of a V6 engine. But already a turbo 4 is better choice.

TripleT

Reaction score
No a Turbo V6 is superior to Turbo4 just not needed for SUSW sized vehicles. CUSW vehicles like the Cherokee and Pacifica are doing well. Especially with us fat Americans who need our shoulder room. But SUSW has a place here in lower end models. It a close call on the new Journey in that class people here will expect a V6 ..... Bare minimum 2.0l mild hybrid...... if your dragging around 7 people you need torque

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
@TripleT

But there is no turbo 6 in FCA US line up AFAIK there will not be any turbo 6 which will fit transversally.

And speaking about competition. GM guys from Korea screwed something during development of their latest FWD platforms and now they have majors issue to fit TT V6 in their newer FWD based cars.

Question is. Turbo 4 or a naturally aspirated V6?

For being fat. I'm certainly not slim with a 216 lbs and 6'1. And my nation or at least region is one of the tallest in Europe.

TripleT

Reaction score
there is 2 Turbo V6 in the FCA lineup... just none transverse, V6 hybrid also is nice power train. We here are still going to like wider platform and V6 engines for awhile SUSW 3 row would be tougher sell. But internationally I agree that it is the best course. China and US have wide road. Like it tough for NA people to imagine the tight roads in most of the world, it tough for EU people to imagine how wide open it is. We are also used to a torque profile of higher cubic inch engines. Not to say turbos wont be the able to supplant them just not at the snap of a finger. Hopefully the straight six is compact enough to go cross ways.

Users who are viewing this thread