Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chief Propulsion Engineer Talks Powertrain On Electric Rams

Despite declining electric vehicle (EV) sales, Ram is pushing forward with its plans to launch its new Ram 1500 REV starting in the fourth quarter of this year. It will be followed up by the new Ram 1500 Ramcharger, a Range Extender Paradigm Breaker (REPB) that will bridge the gap between internal combustion engine (ICE) and EV pickups. Built on the STLA Frame architecture that underpins the Ram 1500, the all-electric REV is primed for performance with exceptional benchmarks in towing, payload, charge time, and a manufacturer’s estimated total driving range of 350 miles (563 km) with a standard 168 … (read full article...)

tempImageqaYx54.png

Last edited by a moderator:

bill burke

Reaction score
Auto manufacturers are in big trouble and their ambitious, impulsive, utopian
commitment to an all electric future is falling apart all around them. Worst part it’s impacting real people, real lives, careers and basic family necessities. People warned them, economists warned them but their progressive liberal mindset betrayed them . Stellantis has spent billions on this politically and philosophically manufactured hoax concocted by a small but influential group of zealots which ignored basic proven economic wisdom and scientific realities in a fools errand to insolvency. So many on this site and other sites predicted this situation, but arrogance and group think prevailed and now working folks will suffer.
LIBERAL fantasy has been wrong every time,, every damn time, ignoring pragmatism, common sense and the forces of free market Capitalism in their social engineering undertakings that have failed miserably for decades.
When will they ever learn ? When will they just listen to the voices of reason and common sense?
Without bias I salute the work and achievement of these engineers and these trucks, it’s just an effort lacking a true purpose and real life chance at succeeding. Imagine if it all went to designing and building what people want. The Simple truth is that dreamers just dream, survivors of necessity solve problems with common sense solutions.

Last edited:

cgseller

Reaction score
"Despite declining electric vehicle (EV) sales".... is that true, or is the growth slowing? I keep hearing the phrase different ways in different areas but I believe the overall EV sales numbers per year are increasing, and that the growth rate is slowing.

bill burke

Reaction score
"Despite declining electric vehicle (EV) sales".... is that true, or is the growth slowing? I keep hearing the phrase different ways in different areas but I believe the overall EV sales numbers per year are increasing, and that the growth rate is slowing.
I think sales have peaked and are slowing. Of note, I’ve read, almost 50% of all electric owners are opting for gas powered vehicles in their next purchase. Also the negatives of electric ownership is becoming widespread common knowledge now, after being spun by government hype and suppressed by media officials and will impact the segment. Add to that government subsidizes, a big incentive initially, are soon to be ended, so that will further effect this market demand. Biggest factor is initial unsubsidized cost and an electric infrastructure that can not support the segment. Oh, don’t forget higher insurance and repair costs, battery disposal landfill issues and resultant pollution caused by decommissioned batteries and yes, those pesky lower resale values for older and diminished capable electric vehicles. What intelligent person would buy a used or really used up one ?
My conclusion, I would not bet the farm on electrics anytime soon, if at all. A horse would work better in the long run. I’d bet the farm on that one.

Mike201

Reaction score
Auto manufacturers are in big trouble and their ambitious, impulsive, utopian
commitment to an all electric future is falling apart all around them. Worst part it’s impacting real people, real lives, careers and basic family necessities. People warned them, economists warned them but their progressive liberal mindset betrayed them . Stellantis has spent billions on this politically and philosophically manufactured hoax concocted by a small but influential group of zealots which ignored basic proven economic wisdom and scientific realities in a fools errand to insolvency. So many on this site and other sites predicted this situation, but arrogance and group think prevailed and now working folks will suffer.
LIBERAL fantasy has been wrong every time,, every damn time, ignoring pragmatism, common sense and the forces of free market Capitalism in their social engineering undertakings that have failed miserably for decades.
When will they ever learn ? When will they just listen to the voices of reason and common sense?
Without bias I salute the work and achievement of these engineers and these trucks, it’s just an effort lacking a true purpose and real life chance at succeeding. Imagine if it all went to designing and building what people want. The Simple truth is that dreamers just dream, survivors of necessity solve problems with common sense solutions.
Bill, could not agree with you anymore!!! You are 100% correct. I believe based on Tesla’s latest sales quarter and where other brands stand on EV’s, it seems EV sales have peaked and either will stay as they are or crash? I too have talked to some that have EV’s and want out. Their comments were “I should have bought a hybrid!”

patfromigh

Reaction score
My prediction is battery electric will recede into to assorted market niches, such as city cars and delivery vans. It still has to be sorted out if Tesla's fall is related to the luxury car sales woes, which are rapidly falling. The Achilles heel for EVs has been the charging network, or should I say the lack of a reliable one. I find it interesting that Sellantis will adopt the new SAE standard based on the Tesla receptacle, but they refused to buy into the Tesla charging network.

The first hurdle the REV has to overcome is a glut of Ford F-150 Lightnings at give away prices. How will Ram compete against that?

MotorMaven

Reaction score
Vehicle sales are slowing across the board and have been for a while; people who point to EVs and say they’re slowing and starting to decline are half right, half wrong. The implicit suggestion that gas car sales are growing is totally false.

Overall, cars and housing have inflated in price by over 50% since 2019. Housing can sustain this because of very low supply and a lack of production; cars, on the other hand, have no supply shortage (as evidenced by a lot packed with unsold $70K RAMs and Jeeps at your local CDJR dealer). Stellantis, Ford and GM will need to pile up five figure rebates on the hoods to move that metal, and dealerships will need to return to sensible pricing.

Ultimately, when the Chinese automakers enter the market with $18K BYD cars, the legacy automakers will have a major challenge on their hands. People will happily snap up EVs at that price point.

The industry has priced itself out of accessibility to everyday working people; the discontinuation of every affordable small car (Dart and 200 for Stellantis) has put the legacy automakers in major danger again.

This will be the fifth time Detroit has made the mistake of abandoning the affordable car market to sell massive gas guzzlers at sky high prices in a foolish short-term grab for money.

Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, VW and Toyota all have quality and competitive $20K new cars in their portfolios. The Detroit automakers don’t even play there. It’s going to be a bloodbath.

cgseller

Reaction score
Ultimately, when the Chinese automakers enter the market with $18K BYD cars, the legacy automakers will have a major challenge on their hands. People will happily snap up EVs at that price point.
I have a feeling when you get outside this forum, that this is very true. If I could get a vehicle for $20k that has features and options that I don't have now, even if it is EV, I'll take the plunge versus expending capital of $50k for a similarly featured vehicle. Kia did this for a decade or two and look where they are now. They played the long game.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, VW and Toyota all have quality and competitive $20K new cars in their portfolios. The Detroit automakers don’t even play there. It’s going to be a bloodbath.
All the automakers are abandoning the lower price range. Nissan still offers their Versa, but not for much longer, and the Koreans no longer offer their basic subcompacts here. The Chevy Trax now anchors the bottom with a base price just north of 20 Grand. The Buick Envista is a Trax with more stuff at 2 Grand more. Both the Trax and Evista are assembled in Korea from a hodge-podge of global parts and have a 1,200 cc three cylinder for power. The Toyota Corolla and its Korean competitors are just barely under 25K. I forgot to mention the Misubishi Mirage, that one is on life support.

Realistically the auto market in the US now begins at $ 25,000 USD. Ford has the Maverick in that price range.

Mass adoption of battery electric vehicles is not possible in North America at this point in time and probably into the near future. It certainly will not occur along the timeline of the EV mandates. This last topic is a conversation for another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread