Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charger / Challenger facing potential "elimination"?

Mopar426

Reaction score
Article from AN Larry:

"Charger: Dodge will freshen the aging sedan in 2019, although it faces potential elimination in 2021.

Challenger: As with the Charger, its linemate, one more freshening is slated, for 2019, before a potential elimination in 2021.

The decisions for the Charger and Challenger likely hang on the long-term fate of FCA's Brampton Assembly Plant in Ontario, which needs major improvements."

I know I know, but he was right about them opting the cars out of the giorgio architecture and now this?

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Ram 1500 faces potential elimination in July 2019. Every vehicle could potentially be eliminated any time.

That's what I'm going to tell myself as I avoid his articles like the plague.

Mopar426

Reaction score
The Ram 1500 faces potential elimination in July 2019. Every vehicle could potentially be eliminated any time.

That's what I'm going to tell myself as I avoid his articles like the plague.
I hear you but Larry isn't a typical FCA hating jounalist, he's the FCA "guy" at AN as far as I remember and use to be an active poster on the mopar forums before he got the job there. He has a contact(s) in there somewhere. Keep in mind the article is from September 2018 so it could be bunk by now, but then again Rob said they were delayed another 18 months.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Larry is a "persona non grata" for FCA. Why? We can debate about that.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
He's released some seriously questionable and flat out untrue FCA articles within the last year. I'd take that one with a grain of salt as well. According to my sources the next gen Charger and Challenger are still undergoing development.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I've checked his latest articles... I think that 50 are either Toyota or VAG before you reach his last FCA one.

It seems that he is not reporting about FCA. Not anymore.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
If he considered the new Charger grille a refresh I think his judgement is questionable anyway.

The Challenger wasn’t refreshed either, so his “2019 refresh” info was incorrect.

Mopar426

Reaction score
If he considered the new Charger grille a refresh I think his judgement is questionable anyway.

The Challenger wasn’t refreshed either, so his “2019 refresh” info was incorrect.
Might he have meant calendar year, so MY2020? Seems late for a full refresh though.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
There was this sensationalistic article last year: 2019 Ram launch slows to a trickle

Which I debunked here: Are the 2019 Ram production doom and gloom articles accurate? - 5th Gen Rams

In the article he said that Ram 1500 production had slowed to a trickle, this was in early summer 2018 and production had been steadily ramping up since January and had not slowed down at all. eTorque equipped trucks didn't have a scheduled on sale date and never were held back by the EPA funnily enough just days after that article had ran a few 5thGenRams forum members with eTorque trucks on order had their trucks built. eTorque Hemi and Pentastar engine configurations weren't part of the initial launch plan, as with all manufacturers FCA wanted to get the volume models built out (Crew cab, 5.7 Hemi trucks) to fill out dealer inventory etc before starting to produce lower volume configurations.

Now I think we all know the 2019 Ram 1500 launch didn't go perfectly but it sure didn't "slow to a trickle" with "EPA delayed" powertrains.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
There was this sensationalistic article last year: 2019 Ram launch slows to a trickle

Which I debunked here: Are the 2019 Ram production doom and gloom articles accurate? - 5th Gen Rams

In the article he said that Ram 1500 production had slowed to a trickle, this was in early summer 2018 and production had been steadily ramping up since January and had not slowed down at all. eTorque equipped trucks didn't have a scheduled on sale date and never were held back by the EPA funnily enough just days after that article had ran a few 5thGenRams forum members with eTorque trucks on order had their trucks built. eTorque Hemi and Pentastar engine configurations weren't part of the initial launch plan, as with all manufacturers FCA wanted to get the volume models built out (Crew cab, 5.7 Hemi trucks) to fill out dealer inventory etc before starting to produce lower volume configurations.

Now I think we all know the 2019 Ram 1500 launch didn't go perfectly but it sure didn't "slow to a trickle" with "EPA delayed" powertrains.

So he is for reason considered as "persona non grata" by FCA.

I was very critical towards AN reporters in the last, especially towards European side. But than Larry has become even worse. That's just my opinion.

So AN has surprised me with very positive articles about FCA's presence at Geneva Auto Show. Namely Tonale PHEV and Jeep PHEV models.

Mopar426

Reaction score
Well Manley made his challenger "electrification" comment after that article so I assume even if they were potentially on the chopping block they made it through. They'd be very dumb to throw away 150K/yr annual sales and the loyalty that comes with many buyers of those cars.

AlexB

Reaction score
Well Manley made his challenger "electrification" comment after that article so I assume even if they were potentially on the chopping block they made it through. They'd be very dumb to throw away 150K/yr annual sales and the loyalty that comes with many buyers of those cars.
First John would totally disagree with your statement about Larry.

Hence last year there was an article by a big Toronto newspaper which has a Paywall that stated "a power above Sergio"
thought threatment of "Late & Great" Sergio was unacceptable & upsetting.

The punish was no access to CEO, CEO Direct reports, and events that have CEO/CEO Direct reports.
The thing is those events like Media drives tend to include the folks menationed above.

Give aways that it was John Elkann taking actions Auto News is that Sweet Pete PMD (AutoExtremist) doesn't do media drives, and John is the only power above Sergio/Manley.

Larry's own Twitter doesn't list FCA duty anymore.

Mopar426

Reaction score
First John would totally disagree with your statement about Larry.

Hence last year there was an article by a big Toronto newspaper which has a Paywall that stated "a power above Sergio"
thought threatment of "Late & Great" Sergio was unacceptable & upsetting.

The punish was no access to CEO, CEO Direct reports, and events that have CEO/CEO Direct reports.
The thing is those events like Media drives tend to include the folks menationed above.

Give aways that it was John Elkann taking actions Auto News is that Sweet Pete PMD (AutoExtremist) doesn't do media drives, and John is the only power above Sergio/Manley.

Larry's own Twitter doesn't list FCA duty anymore.
Not really following you partner - are you saying John is leaking bad info to the press?

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Not really following you partner - are you saying John is leaking bad info to the press?

John was born in New York and he is a French Jew through his father's line. But he was raised as Roman Catholic.

He helds a role a Chairman role at Exor, FCA and Ferrari.

Mopar426

Reaction score
John was born in New York and he is a French Jew through his father's line. But he was raised as Roman Catholic.

He helds a role a Chairman role at Exor, FCA and Ferrari.
Ok, still not seeing what that has to do with the topic though. As for John I prefer "family heir who was put in a top position he isn't qualified for in any way shape or form" lol

AlexB

Reaction score
I think my post was very clear- John Elkann has greatly reduced Automotive News access to FCA, and therefore Automotive News have no real sources.
And that's not changing anytime soon.

AlexB

Reaction score
Ok, still not seeing what that has to do with the topic though. As for John I prefer "family heir who was put in a top position he isn't qualified for in any way shape or form" lol
That sentence doesnt't even make any sense. Even factoring just legacy Chrysler business, John been Mopar's best master really in its history.
Very Qualified to hire Sergio, and more qualified than a concept of stand-alone Chrysler.

Users who are viewing this thread