Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenger Nameplate Not Making A Return To Dodge Lineup

In a surprising move that left many modern Mopar fans scratching their heads, Dodge has decided to shelve the iconic Challenger nameplate from its new muscle car lineup. This decision marks the end of an era for one of the most beloved muscle cars in recent history. The Dodge Challenger has been a cornerstone of Dodge’s performance success for the past 16 years, capturing the hearts of enthusiasts with its blend of power, performance, and nostalgia. From the roaring engines to the unmistakable design, the Challenger has carved out its place in automotive history. But with the unveiling of the … (read full article...)

tempImageDEGES5.png

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnRogers

Reaction score
The world of 2024 is much different than 2004. Charger, Durango and Hornet, one might call that a full line for Dodge. If there is room for a smaller, real enthusiast sportscar, perhaps that would be good use for Challenger. Right now any such vehicle is pure fantasy.

scatpack_69

Reaction score
I suspect they have an idea for a replacement Challenger, whether or not that sees the light of day or not remains to be seen. Sad really.

I’ve yet to own a new Challenger but do have my Sublime ‘70

JustTheFactsMaam

Reaction score
The British have a phrase, “too clever by a half”, which means you are overthinking something and making it worse. Changing the name of the two door version of the next muscle car to Charger instead of Challenger is a great example. I couldn’t imagine Honda making a new four door family sedan and not calling it the Accord or Toyota changing the name of their small sedan from Corolla. They are iconic and have value in a customer’s mind as something they want. Dodge made a huge mistake not calling the new 2-door version Challenger, and leaving the 4-door as the Charger. In addition, the 4-door model version is really poorly designed. It appears that someone in design said that we need a 4-door version and they just decided to slap an extra 2-doors on the coupe. The roofline slopes down way too much compared to the outgoing model. Stellantis had better start focusing on hybrids and ICE only vehicles if they want to survive.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Stellantis had better start focusing on hybrids and ICE only vehicles if they want to survive.
ICE only is no longer an option. ICE only vehicles will become very rare in the marketplace in the near future. Even Toyota is saying EVs will be 30% of the market in the US. If the government and other circumstances forces a company to market EVs, that company should at least build an EV people would want.

The new 2-door Charger is as different from the outgoing Challenger, as the 1978 Challenger was as different from the 1970-74 E-body Challenger.

MPE426HEMI

Reaction score
Why wouldn’t you use the Challenger name for the new Dodge muscle car? It would only make sense to carry on with the Challenger body style and look into a new transformation into the electric boondoggle.
I guess it will now leave the Challenger owners with something to call their own anyways. Long Live Challenger!

Last edited:

Mopar392

Reaction score
It would be Challenger if it was continuation of the Challenger’s design or was inspired by the Barracuda.
The design chosen fir the Coupe fits to be called Charger for 2 things:
1- Save on production and certification cost by reducing the number of SKUs and design.
2- Silence whomever was asking for a 2-door Charger

scatpack_69

Reaction score
I think Dodge is capitalizing on the Charger/electric naming. I guess it makes sense. Much like the Ram is called a Ramcharger…play on words. I suspect.

I’d still rather have a two door Challenger and four door Charger, than the other way around or no Challenger at all. But no one asked me

Mike201

Reaction score
My take on the future for our old Chrysler brands….

CHRYSLER. Will only have a mini van. No Sedan, crossover or SUV

DODGE. 2 Chargers, coupe and sedan. Hornet will not sell and be gone and new Durango will be a Ram

Ram will have its full size P/U, and we will see the midsize return. The classic will be gone with the arrival of the midsize. The Durango will become full-size and end up a Ram product.

Jeep will be untouched but add another new model, which will be the Cherokee replacement.

Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep will offer EV’s and ICE engines with some hybrid options.

Just my take. The loss of the Challenger and 300 say the old Chrysler Corp, will just be a shell of itself and just small divisions of Stellantis!

scatpack_69

Reaction score
Chrysler can’t exist on a minivan alone. They HAVE to have more product or fold the division.

Personally I think they need to reboot Chrysler again, much like they did in 2005 with the then glorious 300 revival. Make it a true luxury brand, the outgoing 300 wasn’t very upscale. Make it something special, unique styling and a great customer experience. Regardless of financials involved, it needs to be a standalone, meaning you don’t take your Chrysler to the local Dodge dealership, only top dealers get the brand and that comes with a customer experience.

As much as I generally dislike Mercedes, I believe they still have a generally positive dealer relationship with customers. Things like dealer picks up your car, leaves a loaner, takes care of everything etc. Odds of that happening are almost zero, I know

AlexB

Reaction score
My take on the future for our old Chrysler brands….

CHRYSLER. Will only have a mini van. No Sedan, crossover or SUV

DODGE. 2 Chargers, coupe and sedan. Hornet will not sell and be gone and new Durango will be a Ram

Ram will have its full size P/U, and we will see the midsize return. The classic will be gone with the arrival of the midsize. The Durango will become full-size and end up a Ram product.

Jeep will be untouched but add another new model, which will be the Cherokee replacement.

Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep will offer EV’s and ICE engines with some hybrid options.

Just my take. The loss of the Challenger and 300 say the old Chrysler Corp, will just be a shell of itself and just small divisions of Stellantis!
Classic is gone this year, and Durango is a Dodge on STLA Large.
"Your shell "is WAY MORE PROFITABLE than the old Chrysler Corporation EVER WAS.

TripleT

Reaction score
Classic is gone this year, and Durango is a Dodge on STLA Large.
"Your shell "is WAY MORE PROFITABLE than the old Chrysler Corporation EVER WAS.
Well, he is right in a way Stellantis is way bigger and more stable company then the always on the brink of the brink Bankruptcy standalone Chrysler Corp, or redheaded stepchild under Daimler.

What he is missing is that outside a few Fiat, Alfa, and Maserati dealers it is the NA face of that giant company.

Dodge line is expanding, despite whether he like the Hornet (odd flex to bitch about product and then complain at the same time)

Chrysler will get a STLA Large and a Mid.....

And Jeep has 3 models on the way and I would guess a replacement for the Renegade to join the Compass on the Mid in the near future.

I would not be surprised at a Challenger return but people want Everything ALL AT ONCE that is not how it works.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Am I making this up or did we see a leaked production schedule that showed the Durango sharing a basis with the next Grand Cherokee/Grand Cherokee L? If that’s the case, the size won’t be vastly different than the current one.

AlexB

Reaction score
Am I making this up or did we see a leaked production schedule that showed the Durango sharing a basis with the next Grand Cherokee/Grand Cherokee L? If that’s the case, the size won’t be vastly different than the current one.
Yes, pretty safe thought.

Users who are viewing this thread