Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Chinese problem with Peugeot:Ties to Huawei

AlexB

Reaction score
As FCA and PSA move to a real,actual legal agreement to merge (as early as USA Thanksgiving week,no later than Christmas).One huge key impact points that everybody pretty much have ignored is the Chinese factor of PSA's technology.

Folks mention Dongfeng, but that is small Chinese impact point, the big Chinese impact is a company called Huawei. Huawei is a very controversial technology company that have been thought of as doing spy work on the behalf of the Chinese Government which has unified Republicans and Democrats behind taking anti-Huawei measures Rubio on Huawei .

Vehicle have gotten way more advance, and dependent on electrics and electronics. Back 2017 PSA decided to use & rely on Huawei for new tech including Infotainment systems,vehicle electric and new services like Over-The-Air updates(Peugeot partners with Huawei in connected-car software). Meanwhile, FCA chosse to go with Samsung for such tech items(Fiat Chrysler picks Google, Samsung for global connected car system).

Quietly (to much of the auto media), Larry Kudlow stated the Merger would need to go through a CFIUS review & investigation-one the lengthiness & longness review process the U.S. Government has. CFIUS stands for Committee On Foreign Investment since it involves U.S. Assets & operations (Chrysler) being moved to a New Foreign Holding Company, it would require regulatory approval. Some on that "Other Mopar Fan Website" seems to not get such concept at all.

CFIUS is random, meets in secret with the only public disclosure is the lunch of an investigation into deals, approval of deals, decline to investigate deals, and rejection of deals. CFIUS is a cross functioned by U.S. Treasury, U.S. Military (Department of Defense), Commerce Department,U.S. Department Of Homeland Security, the Justice Department (which FCA has unfinished & on-going business with) and more. FCA and PSA will have to race through all the agencies of the United States Federal Government to get the greenlight out of the United States due to PSA's ties to questionable outsiders.

Difference is vey different than Daimler & Germany as Germany is an ally, which some fools on "That other mopar website" don't get, and therefore that deal (Daimler-Chrysler merger) never went to the investigation stage(also a different U.S. Presidency with different views on trade & global economics than now).
If an investigation gets lunch by CFIUS then forget about 2020 for a deal to close....the earliest for merger closing becomes Summer of 2021.
Now the concessions to get to closing will change the math behind the merger significantly. The easiest path is agree no PSA Vehicless with Huawei technology will come to North America, and agree to end any relationship with Huawei overtime.

Trying to replace Huawel technology in PSA underpinnings is a costly undertaking (the new age hard points) as well the next generation of Opel/Vauxhall products will use those underpinnings to get off GM's IP, so the cheapest path is developing an all new Merged "network of components"/Underpinnings to replace FWD PSA Underpinnings & FCA Platforms. Issue is the cost savings indicated by sharing in the press release gets delayed significantly. So in the meanwhile I expect the White Collar workforce to take it on the chin including Engineers & Designers and Rüsselsheim tech center in Germany to be shut down.

Also both Vauxhall plants (Luton and Ellesmere port) are goners as the road to actually closing the Merger between FCA & PSA will be a road that's bumpy & deeply potholed.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it? Some are saying that BMW's system is the best one. Maserati is using a uConnect and it's not seen as good as some competing systems from premium/luxury competitors.

@AlexB
Can they drop Huawei and just use Harman?

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
uConnect hasn't evolved fast enough in the past few years.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
This certainly puts a damper on my feelings about this merger. Not a fan of huawei at all. Awful company to deal with.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Why? I have a smartphone from them and I can't find any serious fault neither with their support nor with the quality of the product.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Why? I have a smartphone from them and I can't find any serious fault neither with their support nor with the quality of the product.

I don't want to turn this into a messy thread, but I'm 0/2 with them.

I had a Nexus 6P that I bought brand new from Google Canada and had shipped to my home in Canada. I had to fight with them for 8 months to get the extremely faulty battery replaced because huawei was too stupid to figure out that I had bought it new in Canada, they thought it was bought new in the USA and they tried to void my warranty. This was all despite me providing proof that it was bought new from Google Canada. I finally got someone to take pity on me and honor their warranty on it, and then they delayed it so much that had I not driven to their office on a Friday afternoon in rush hour on the 407 (Canadian toll road that cost me $50 in tolls) I wouldn't have ever gotten it back in time for my trip that I needed it for the next day.

To add to that, they have invalidated the warranty on my watch as well, again, because I'm in Canada. Even though I bought it new from an authorized seller in Canada as well.

I will never ever ever buy anything from them ever again. Complete scumbags.

AlexB

Reaction score
Is it? Some are saying that BMW's system is the best one. Maserati is using a uConnect and it's not seen as good as some competing systems from premium/luxury competitors.

@AlexB
Can they drop Huawei and just use Harman?
At this stage in the game, it too much of a "hard point" in PSA underpinnings to get rid of. As mention in the 1st post, the whole transition of Opel products on GM's IP to PSA underpinnings will have Huawei tech through out the models, so the easiest thing at this stage is to make those concessions to CFIUS as mention in the 1st post(No models with Huawei tech in North America--pretty much the PSA current pipeline-2024 model lineup, and The end of the PSA relationship with Huawei with the new Merged underpinnings to replace PSA underpinnings & FWD FCA's platforms) .

AlexB

Reaction score

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score

But it's not a beloved uConnect. This new system is just that. A brand new system run on Android.

If it goes as planned debut should be on a new electric Fiat 500.

AlexB

Reaction score
But it's not a beloved uConnect. This new system is just that. A brand new system run on Android.

If it goes as planned debut should be on a new electric Fiat 500.
New-Gen is co-develop by Google/Alphabet & FCA and is based on Android.

Users who are viewing this thread