Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All-New DS 4 Debuts With Striking Looks, And An Interior That Demands Your Attention

Deckard Cain

Reaction score

DS Automobiles has revealed the new 2020 DS 4, a premium hatchback that will come in two flavors, targeting the likes of the Audi A3 and the Mercedes A-Class, as well as a few crossovers like the Mercedes GLA and the Lexus UX.
The all-new DS 4 is based on the also new EMP2 platform, featuring a striking exterior design with pretty nice proportions inspired by the company’s Aero Sport Lounge concept.

“DS 4 was conceived to redefine the outline of the Premium C segment,” said Marion David, Product Director at DS Automobiles. “It’s aimed at customers attracted by two body shapes: the new aspirational Coupé-SUV and the traditional compact hatchback. At every stage of its design, the idea of appealing to these two segments drove our decisions.”

The DS 4 features the company’s new DS Matrix LED Vision headlights, which are said to combine matrix and directional lighting, complemented by two S-shaped rows of LEDs on each side acting as daytime running lights. The doors come with flush-fitting handles while the rear is highlighted by the longer and lower roofline and the muscular rear fenders.

The French premium brand of the newly launched Stellantis decided to offer the new DS 4 with a range of tech features usually found on more expensive models. These include things like the Active Scan suspension, which uses a camera to read the road ahead and adjust the suspension accordingly, a large head-up display that appears four meters ahead of the windscreen thanks to its trick technology, and a Level 2 driving assistance system.

The interior of the 2020 DS 4 looks special and different, as expected from a new DS model. There’s a new infotainment system that operates through a 10-inch touchscreen display with a new interface and the ability to be controlled by both voice and gestures. The central air vents are “invisible”, as they are nicely integrated with the climate controls, while the window switches are mounted inside the door trim for an uncluttered appearance.

Customers will get to choose between Nappa leather, and Alcantara upholsteries for the high-density foam seats, as well as brown ash wood trim, forged carbon, exposed stitching, and the list goes on. If you ever wanted to see how it feels to sit inside an expensive purse, the new DS 4 looks like a good place to do it.

The engine range will include a new plug-in hybrid powertrain, as well as regular petrol and diesel units. The plug-in hybrid DS 4 E-Tense model pairs a 178 HP 1.6-liter petrol engine with a 108 HP electric motor and a 12.4 kWh lithium-ion battery pack for a combined output of 222 HP (225 PS). DS claims an EV range of more than 30 miles on the WLTP cycle.

The range is completed with the petrol PureTech models offering 128 HP (130 PS), 177 HP (180 PS), and 222 HP (225 PS) respectively, and the diesel BlueHDi with 128 HP (130 HP). All variants of the new 2020 DS 4 are paired to an eight-speed automatic transmission.

The new DS4 will be offered both in base and Cross body styles, the latter aiming to steal customers away from soft-roaders like the Mercedes GLA and the BMW X2. The DS4 Cross however will not offer an increased ride height as you might expect, as it’s limited to some matt black trim on the body and the addition of roof rails, as well as a trick traction control system with specific modes, depending on how slippery the conditions are.

The 2020 DS 4 will go on sale across Europe during the fourth quarter of 2021.

2020-DS4-01.jpg

2020-DS4-02.jpg

2020-DS4-21.jpg

2020-DS4-13.jpg

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
In terms of looks, it's a lot better than the Audi A3. Although I find it silly that now it seems to be mandatory to have a heightened version with black plastic cladding on the exterior and call it a "crossover".

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I find this interior strange. Like there is a wall in front of front passengers.

Exterior? Rear end is interesting, I must admit it. DS' rear lights are always strange to me and here is no difference. I would prefer different looks in comparison to zillion traingles.

Sideline I don't like for 2 reasons. One is a long nose which is a platform and in general mechanic related issue. The other are tiny side windows which are so mid '00s.

I the end what's successful car design? For me that's a one which ages well. One which looks fresh after 10, 20 or 30 years. We can't judge it right now.

In general when it comes to a car design IMO we had hit the heights some time ago.

AlexB

Reaction score
I find this interior strange. Like there is a wall in front of front passengers.

Exterior? Rear end is interesting, I must admit it. DS' rear lights are always strange to me and here is no difference. I would prefer different looks in comparison to zillion traingles.

Sideline I don't like for 2 reasons. One is a long nose which is a platform and in general mechanic related issue. The other are tiny side windows which are so mid '00s.

I the end what's successful car design? For me that's a one which ages well. One which looks fresh after 10, 20 or 30 years. We can't judge it right now.

In general when it comes to a car design IMO we had hit the heights some time ago.
It looks very Korean & Lexus-ish.

TripleT

Reaction score
looks a lot like the new GAC

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I think the interior is a great improvement over previous DS models. It doesn't look as gaudy.
Interestingly, the DS4 will be produced in Germany in the same assembly line as the Astra. I thought it would be in the same line as the Peugeot 308.

Last edited:

AlexB

Reaction score
I think the interior is a great improvement over previous DS models. It doesn't look as gaudy.
Interestingly, the DS4 will be produced in Germany in the same assembly line as the Astra. I thought it would be in the same line as the Peugeot 308.
Also China, too.
Which gives me an idea for North America.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
As with any other product. It's very hard to imagine that we'll see any new Stellantis started project for ex-FCA brands which will see the light od the day sooner than calendar 2024, even 2025.

TripleT

Reaction score
I am not saying this as a insult. But it look very much like the cars produced internally for China, both the external and interior.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Most cars nowadays are already designed thinking of China.

TripleT

Reaction score
In a market that desires EU and American vehicles, how do you set yourself apart in that market if your vehicle looks like a vehicle developed by other domestic brands.

It seems backwards,

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
In a market that desires EU and American vehicles, how do you set yourself apart in that market if your vehicle looks like a vehicle developed by other domestic brands.

It seems backwards,
Because those domestic brands are copying european and american design. So in fact this actually looks like an OG european design.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Because those domestic brands are copying european and american design. So in fact this actually looks like an OG european design.
Actually Koreans are those who are copying some European design elements. Chinese tend to copy the whole car. LOL

Some brands, notably German premium, tend to adjust their design to Chinese tastes. No wonder because China is their most significant market. Big grilles and weird rear lights are for China.

TripleT

Reaction score
Yeah no..... that is EU.Amero centric falsehood. Or at least a decade behind. The sharp edge design is Asian forward. I don't even care for it. Not everything there is a knock off, and this my comment that the DS design resembles more a China centered design then a EU. One I rode in 2 years ago.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
It does have an Asian design to it. Like it could be a new Lexus CT if they changed the headlights and grille.

It still looks good though.

TripleT

Reaction score
I didn’t say it was bad, I said it resembles something native to Asia.

Users who are viewing this thread