Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alfa Romeo Pulls The Covers Off Of Its Subcompact Milano

Alfa Romeo has made a bold return to the compact car segment with the unveiling of the Milano. This compact marvel embodies the essence of Alfa Romeo’s sporty heritage while embracing the demands of modern driving. Based on the eCMP architecture, the Milano joins the Jeep® Avenger and Fiat 600e as the future subcompact offering for Europe. So, let’s delve into what makes the Milano stand out from the crowd. Powertrains – The Milano offers a choice of powertrains to suit diverse driving preferences. For those inclined towards electrification, the electric variant, labeled “ELETTRICA,” has two power options: 156 horsepower … (read full article...)

EXTERIORS-6.jpeg

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on what is one expecting from an engine but surely 1.5 GSE T4 130 is tad quicker than 1.2 EB3 136 and lets not forget that there is a 1.5 GSE T4 160.

Why there isn't higher end 1.5 engine? Well... A lot of development was already killed by Manley like some higher end more powerful non Miller versions.
Imparato made another step. Yes, there was a plan for Giulia and Stelvio PHEV with 1.5 turbo. But then, similar people killed Maserati 2.0 PHEV and development of a 3.0 V6 MHEV engine which was planned as a common engine for Alfa and Maserati.

In my opinion Imparato has made some terrible decisions for Giulia and Stelvio MCA models but his end point is to make it profitable at any cost even if it means offering limited or non competitive products.

Imparato's latest fixation is BEV only lineup.

PHEV? Not a fan. Too much weight for a twisty European roads of you ask me.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Yike ..... I find it hard to fathom anyone with a Italian surname thought this element was ok.View attachment 9409

Not fan of this exterior colour. Looks like a PSA colour pallete.

To me FCA did a better job with more cheerful colours.

Hey, but that's me. Someone may think they are awful.

TripleT

Reaction score
It depends on what is one expecting from an engine but surely 1.5 GSE T4 130 is tad quicker than 1.2 EB3 136 and lets not forget that there is a 1.5 GSE T4 160.

Why there isn't higher end 1.5 engine? Well... A lot of development was already killed by Manley like some higher end more powerful non Miller versions.
Imparato made another step. Yes, there was a plan for Giulia and Stelvio PHEV with 1.5 turbo. But then, similar people killed Maserati 2.0 PHEV and development of a 3.0 V6 MHEV engine which was planned as a common engine for Alfa and Maserati.

In my opinion Imparato has made some terrible decisions for Giulia and Stelvio MCA models but his end point is to make it profitable at any cost even if it means offering limited or non competitive products.

75MPG and haven't bought gas 5 gallons a month ago.

pumadog

Reaction score
Is it? I find it hard to compare since there's only heavy SUVs with the 1.5 GSE. Junior 1.2 EB3 136 has similar acceleration and top speed as the Tonale 1.5 GSE 160. The Tonale 130 is much slower, but of course it's also much heavier.

In the end that's the most important for surviving. Better solutions on paper don't help if you can't fund product development. If they did the big MCAs in 2022 then new generations of Giulia and Stelvio would have been delayed even further.
We'll see if that's wise or not. I understand product planning is really hard in times like this. BEV sales are slowing a bit, but then CO2 penalty fees will climb in coming years. If they developed STLA large for Alfa to not allow ICE versions, I hope there's a good technical benefit in it.
I do agree that it makes more sense in America than in Europe.

Mopar392

Reaction score
Maybe I'm biased and have no ground, but I do believe that GME/GSE engines are much better than PSA EP engines.

I wish they can offer the 1.3 GSE PHEV in Alfa Junior/Jeep Avenger and offer 2.0 GME PHEV in Tonale/Hornet.

TripleT

Reaction score
Hurricane4 with the rear motor would make a nice SRT and Quad for sure.... Hornet could do with a Halo model to market the rest of the lineup.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Hurricane4 with the rear motor would make a nice SRT and Quad for sure.... Hornet could do with a Halo model to market the rest of the lineup.

Not to mention that they were able to make a peppier high performance version with weight savings, more advanced AWD and with 2.0 in mid 300 if not high 300 HP.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
@pumadog

If I'm not mistaken Tonale with 1.5 130 HP has better acceleration figures than 408 with 1.2 136 HP. I would say that they are more or less comparable products in terms of weight and size if not height.

pumadog

Reaction score
@pumadog

If I'm not mistaken Tonale with 1.5 130 HP has better acceleration figures than 408 with 1.2 136 HP. I would say that they are more or less comparable products in terms of weight and size if not height.
Ok, I see it's a little bit quicker with a higher pollutions: 408 (11,2 sec; 211 km/h) and 3008 (10,2 sec; 201 km/h) with the 1.2 136 hp vs. Tonale (9,6 sec; 200 km/h) or Compass (9,2 sec; 192 km/h) with GSE 1.5 130 hp. I see EB3 is Euro 6e, GSE 1.5 Euro 6d currently.

Btw. press release for the new MINI Aceman (electric only is out. Direct competitor to the Junior Elettrica. Range is 310 km for the E, 408 for the SE. Power output with 184 and 218 hp between Junior 156 and 240 hp.

Users who are viewing this thread