Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alfa Romeo Pulls The Covers Off Of Its Subcompact Milano

Alfa Romeo has made a bold return to the compact car segment with the unveiling of the Milano. This compact marvel embodies the essence of Alfa Romeo’s sporty heritage while embracing the demands of modern driving. Based on the eCMP architecture, the Milano joins the Jeep® Avenger and Fiat 600e as the future subcompact offering for Europe. So, let’s delve into what makes the Milano stand out from the crowd. Powertrains – The Milano offers a choice of powertrains to suit diverse driving preferences. For those inclined towards electrification, the electric variant, labeled “ELETTRICA,” has two power options: 156 horsepower … (read full article...)

EXTERIORS-6.jpeg

bill burke

Reaction score
Just from a styling point, it’s gorgeous. The interior is unbelievable. Much too small for me but in some markets, this one will be very popular. Was not excited about this, until I saw it and then...WOW ! This guy loves it. Congratulations Alfa Romeo !

patfromigh

Reaction score
I doubt we will see any Stellantis products built off the CMP platform sold here stateside. This is due to compliance issues. The latest mild hybrid systems are a huge leap forward. The vehicles using this technology are seeing the same efficiency as full hybrids had 15 years ago.I don't trust the 6-speed French-Chinese hybrid gearbox used in the eCMP hybrids. The Magna 7-speed, used in the Jeep Compass and Renegade hybrids, is a much better unit. The Citroen e-C3 uses an evolved and newer platform. Rumor has it that the next generation of Fiat Panda will use the same Stellantis ‘Smart Car’ platform as the Citroen. Send the Panda over here

Last edited:

TripleT

Reaction score
I certainly like the Hybrid grill more the EV grill but I favor Alfa Styling in general over many of the brands in the EU I find this eCMP coachwork one to the least attractive of the group close to bottom. Which should not be for an Alfa..... the front end I find especially offensive. Lancia, Jeep, and while holding my Nose the Peugeot are all more attractive. Only beating the Plain looking Opel and awkward proportioned Fiat 600.

C- generously.

pumadog

Reaction score
I was doubtful, but so far I like it overall. For sure the external styling is a departure from the rather save, conservative beauty of the latest Alfas. But then they want to reach new, younger customers with this. Most critical points for me are the busy front with new Scudetto and the carryover of the front doors incl. panels from the 600. I understood that you can choose the Scudetto between script and symbols (after the Speciale editions). Good that it has an integrated screen inside instead of a vertical tablet!

patfromigh

Reaction score
Both the Milano and the Abarth 600e use a Torsen differential for their front drive EVs. The supplier for the e-axles used in some Stellantis models offers a torque vectoring two-speed differential which is specifically designed for front drive EVs. I wonder why they chose the Torsen over that.
(The dual electric motor setup to be introduced on the Jeep Avenger is not in production yet, The pure EV models on this platform are all front drive single motor.)

Mopar392

Reaction score
Both the Milano and the Abarth 600e use a Torsen differential for their front drive EVs. The supplier for the e-axles used in some Stellantis models offers a torque vectoring two-speed differential which is specifically designed for front drive EVs. I wonder why they chose the Torsen over that.
(The dual electric motor setup to be introduced on the Jeep Avenger is not in production yet, The pure EV models on this platform are all front drive single motor.)

I can’t remember, but aren’t GKN or ZF e-axles already in production??

TripleT

Reaction score
Yike ..... I find it hard to fathom anyone with a Italian surname thought this element was ok.1712852349194.png

patfromigh

Reaction score
I can’t remember, but aren’t GKN or ZF e-axles already in production??
The GKN e-axle has been in production and is used in Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, Jeep Compass / Renegade 4xe, and the Alfa Tonale / Dodge Hornet hybrids. It was also used on some pre-merger PSA models. I have no idea who provides the 48 volt e-axles for the e-Hybrid system used in the eCMP platform vehicles or the SUSW Jeeps with e-Hybrid drive trains.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't forget that CMP is in its origins low cost C segment platform for Chinese market which PSA inherited from Dongfeng.
That means that in the first place it's cheap to make while for B/subcompact segment it lacks interior space. Packaging just isn't right, it isn't efficient.

Yes, this is a subcompact car. This is not a compact car and this is not by any means Giulietta successor.
C/compact segment cars have different design goals in thems of NVH, driving dynamics and so on and on.

For me drawbacks remain the same
Fixation on BEV offering. So very dubious choice of internal combustion engines. Choice of a questionable transmission for a sporty brand.
I mean. Where is GSE, where is Uconnect. Just imagine this car with a 1.5 litre 160 HP engine and a proper 7 speed DCT from Gettag in comparison with this 6 speed Chinese fakery.
Uconnect 5 is arguably better infotainment system than French junk.

In terms of dimensions I'm still wondering why they've decided against 2008 wheelbase length. In my opinion it would be miles better choice for Alfa Romeo.
With this sideline looks kind of squashed.

And yes. Design of the front end is quite busy and it's like that because of CMP platform and its constraints. I mean there is not much modularity with CMP. It's constrained like an old platform.
I mean even air intake is set in stone with this platform and because we got this strange front end design.

I almost forgot.
External colour choice is very bad.
Where is a proper blue, where is a green?

TripleT

Reaction score
You mean Junior not Milano..... how the F did the screw that up. It is against Italian law the have Spanished designed, Polish built, French Chinese engineered car, with a Italian name and sell in ITALY.

WOW.

pumadog

Reaction score
For me drawbacks remain the same
Fixation on BEV offering. So very dubious choice of internal combustion engines. Choice of a questionable transmission for a sporty brand.
I mean. Where is GSE, where is Uconnect. Just imagine this car with a 1.5 litre 160 HP engine and a proper 7 speed DCT from Gettag in comparison with this 6 speed Chinese fakery.
Uconnect 5 is arguably better infotainment system than French junk.

I almost forgot.
External colour choice is very bad.
Where is a proper blue, where is a green?
I've yet to see some indication that the new 136 HP hybrid DCT powertrain is any worse than the GSE hybrid. The latter in the Tonale is criticised in every review I've come across. I'd like to see stronger options for hybrid and electrowith about 180…200 hp though. If you study infos and videos of the infotainment it appears as upgraded from other cars, snappy and well designed.

I'd take the Junior in red or blue. A really nice tone. Don't know if the beige works for an Alfa. Dark grey is ok but boring. Personally would have loved to see an ochre/yellow rather than green, which isn't a "standard" colour to be expected in every Alfa. Inside it's a petty that the dark blue only comes with the entry level trim and 100% fabric. The biscione seats with vinyl seat bolsters would be fab.

TripleT

Reaction score
I can send you good reviews if you like, there are plenty.

pumadog

Reaction score
Yes please! To be precise: The 1.5 GSE MHEV, to be compared with the 1.2 EB3 MHEV. Not the 1.3 PHEV.

TripleT

Reaction score
Yes please! To be precise: The 1.5 GSE MHEV, to be compared with the 1.2 EB3 MHEV. Not the 1.3 PHEV.
Yeah I didn't watch anything with 1.5... As it wasn't any interest to me, I have the the 1.3 PHEV.

Users who are viewing this thread