Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Majority Don’t Consider The Charger Daytona, A Muscle Car!

A majority of Dodge fans have a great distaste for the all-new, all-electric Dodge Charger Daytona. While most actually like the styling of the next-generation Charger, most enthusiasts are upset about the discontinuation of its HEMI® V8 lineup that made the brand the go-to muscle car brand over the past 20 years. This summer, Dodge is launching the next-generation Charger with a 400-volt all-electric powertrain in a two-door coupe. Additional models will be released in the first quarter of 2025, including a 400-volt four-door variant, two twin-turbocharged SIX PACK internal combustion engine (ICE) models, and even a more powerful 800-volt SRT … (read full article...)

tempImageaJQIGw.png

Last edited by a moderator:

T/A392

Reaction score
I wish Chrysler would task their engineers with redesigning the the HEMI engines. Imagine their potential with how much power the Hurricane inline6 makes.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
It's really hard to say what truly makes a muscle car because GM broke the mold of a muscle car in the 80s with the grand national and regal t-type along with the typhoon and syclone. While neither the hurricane nor the ev follow what we would say is a traditional muscle car, in its most basic sense, it is. While it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea, let's call a spade a spade. It is a midsized car with a high performance powertrain so yes, technically it is a muscle car. Either way, I'm waiting for a hurricane HO sedan in black with all the fixings.

Mike201

Reaction score
I am good with calling the Chargers with the ICE H/P Hurricane I6 a muscle car. Not the EV’s.
So the I6 is not a Hemi! Being in my late fifties when the Hemi’s of the 60’s ended and we were running Chargers, Cuda’s and other Mopars with 440’s, 400’s, they were Muscle cars!!! Don’t need a Hemi to be a muscle car. As a former owner of a 2013 Charger, I really am looking forward to the new I6 Chargers. Very disappointed they are so far out though. I wish I could have waited but, I had to move now, and I am in a Durango. I guess by time it’s due to change the new Charger I6 will have a few years under its belt and I just may go back!
BTW, Dodge can keep their EV’s. After the news from Tesla today, I don’t see EV’s being our future. Hybrids yes, EV’s no!

Mopar392

Reaction score
I wish Chrysler would task their engineers with redesigning the the HEMI engines. Imagine their potential with how much power the Hurricane inline6 makes.
I hear you, but the management isn't interested in spending R&D money. At least, not the current one.
Remember, there was a rumor about HEMI update with 7.0l and I would be interested to see how much HP/TQ, MPG and emissions this engine would have made vs the HO Hurricane.

Reactions: PRM

TripleT

Reaction score
This engine existed at Maserati and made less power and was more expensive to build, for a multitude of reasons.

What we are talking about is marketing at this point. Turns out like the Cummins the straight 6 engine has an incredible potential. There is wonderful article by the development engineer, explain why.

It is interesting how No one driving HD Deisel Ram wishes it is having a V8.

bill burke

Reaction score
First off, I noticed the front fascia of the Six Pack is different picktured here from the one at launch, missing a bumper opening or scoop below the grill, which gave the model a distinctive, and for me, a more stylish “muscle car” look. Oh well, less muscle car to make a point on this post from the get go.
I’m old enough to know the real origins of muscle cars and for Mopars, Chrysler basically took the very competent, rugged and powerful police package, added scoops, decals and a cool name and made a muscle car. GM stuck their full size performance engines in a small car, Ford followed suit. It’s a marketing gimmick that caught on beyond anyone’s wildest expectations. My point, muscle car has no hard and fast definition and regardless of how it is achieved, if it looks like a muscle car and the buyer accepts it as a muscle car, than a muscle car it will be.
The Charger will please those seeking muscle car status beyond the first muscle cars of the 60s that were dangerous because they handled poorly, braked poorly especially the GM stuff and we’re not truly a full package except perhaps for Mopars. The Charger is the “whole package” by anyone’s standard of muscle.

Last edited:

Mopar392

Reaction score
This engine existed at Maserati and made less power and was more expensive to build, for a multitude of reasons.

What we are talking about is marketing at this point. Turns out like the Cummins the straight 6 engine has an incredible potential. There is wonderful article by the development engineer, explain why.

It is interesting how No one driving HD Deisel Ram wishes it is having a V8.

Because Ram's I6 Cummins proved over the years, that it can hold or better than the competitors' V8s.
At this point, Hurricane I6 is promising on paper, but it needs time to prove itself against GM's and Ford's V8 in term of durability and tuning potential for further performance.

TripleT

Reaction score
Because Ram's I6 Cummins proved over the years, that it can hold or better than the competitors' V8s.
At this point, Hurricane I6 is promising on paper, but it needs time to prove itself against GM's and Ford's V8 in term of durability and tuning potential for further performance.
Of course but that can only happen with time.... Not everyone is going to research the way we have here. But a bit of benefit of the doubt wouldn't hurt.

Really marketing has been disaapointing lately. They are of course selling the EV future... But the engine has been launched in the RAM where is the brag. Where is the adds showing it beating a Hemi off the line .....

I know still have inventory to sell, but work needs to be done. Coming off the horrible Hornet campaign.

Mopar392

Reaction score

Really marketing has been disaapointing lately. They are of course selling the EV future... But the engine has been launched in the RAM where is the brag. Where is the adds showing it beating a Hemi off the line .....

You know that's going to piss a lot of people off.

TripleT

Reaction score
It has to be done, where is the Hurricane 6 with a cool logo on the side... Six-Pack really? Mopar people know that is a Carb setup not an engine.

And yeah the need to bring back, Jon Reep "That there got a Hemi?"..... Nope and have it launch off..... Hurricane is coming.

1713272930331.png

Mopar392

Reaction score
Ram started using a catchy phrase ""I hear the storm is coming,".

Problem is Hurricane is marketed differently with each brand. SST, HO/SO or SixPack.

But I agree with having a catchy logo

TripleT

Reaction score
I think it should be standard across the CDJR... and if used in EU brands maybe MultiAir 6 or something like that.

Like Hemi.... Hurricane6 (registered logo here) use the CAT rating like at DC on the crate engines instead of HO and SO zzzzzzzzzzzz

Stephen345

Reaction score
A majority of Dodge fans have a great distaste for the all-new, all-electric Dodge Charger Daytona. While most actually like the styling of the next-generation Charger, most enthusiasts are upset about the discontinuation of its HEMI® V8 lineup that made the brand the go-to muscle car brand over the past 20 years. This summer, Dodge is launching the next-generation Charger with a 400-volt all-electric powertrain in a two-door coupe. Additional models will be released in the first quarter of 2025, including a 400-volt four-door variant, two twin-turbocharged SIX PACK internal combustion engine (ICE) models, and even a more powerful 800-volt SRT … (read full article...)

View attachment 9425
Hi, back in the 1970"s in Australia, we had an awesome in line 6 Charger. It's a pity that this new Charger is not being built in RHD.

Attachments

• chrysler-valiant-charger-2.jpg
    chrysler-valiant-charger-2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 3
  • Hemi 6 pack E49.jpg
    Hemi 6 pack E49.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread