Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G to 4G Issues with Mopar (Long read)

SFCR

Reaction score
I have been researching this 3G to 4G change using T-Mobile's dongle that is affecting the head unit display screen apps and functions, some of which will be lost after January 1st according to both UConnect (found on their website) and a chart that was published by Stellantis. Aside from the Yelp! app, the remainder of the lost functions will be when using our cell phones through the radio, ie: the display of voice-to-text on the screen. I have spoken with a Stellantis corporate executive on the phone for about an hour. He indicated he had not heard much regarding the details and seemed a little surprised. He requested some documentation. I have collected data over the last several months and assembled it chronologically since UConnect's announcement to its subscribers and sent it to him. He indicated that he would research it to ascertain exactly what is going on and what the consumers are being told. He also indicated he would get back to me. He has been responding via email every week as promised to keep me updated. He has been very understanding and is working to assist me any way he can. Additionally, I sent letters to Stellantis’ global CEO, Mr. Carlos Tavares in October, 2021 and to Mr. Timothy Kuniskis in the Michigan headquarters office in December, 2021 and have received NO reply from either. I read comments how Tim Kuniskis was such a great guy, but so far, I'm discouraged.

So far, these are some thoughts:

1. I believe this was well known and planned long before the consumer was notified.

2. Stellantis/FCA and Uconnect failed to notify the consumer in a timely manner.

3. After a limited time, the consumer has to pay Uconnect for the dongle, but still does not restore those lost functions.

4. An OE solution should have been developed and offered at corporate expense to retain these functions.

No doubt that communications are changing, i.e.: 3G to 4G to 5G and so on, but it’s the principle of the matter allowing the consumer to take the expense out of their pocket or just take the hit for the change and just live with it. The consumer paid for specific equipment on their vehicle and there is a reasonable expectation that the equipment would continue to function or that the manufacturer would make appropriate updates. After reading that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, NV was found guilty of fraud by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and subsequently fined $40 million, I am highly skeptical of much of their information announced to the consumer.

(Fiat Chrysler Is Fined $40 Million for Sales-Reporting Fraud | IndustryWeek)

I finally received a call from a senior Uconnect supervisor who was very willing to listen and explained the changes as she knew so far. She indicated that the described functions affected by the 3G to 4G change would eventually be terminated but did say that the 9-1-1 button on the inside rear view mirror would continue to function as designed (newer models have SOS in red), although a chart published by Stellantis indicated otherwise. She also stated that the 3G towers had not been changed or removed nationwide completely and that some remained functional, although they would all come down this year. She also indicated that Stellantis and Uconnect were working to resolve these issues as best they could, and that the idea of replacing all the radio display heads in all sold vehicles affected had been presented and discussed. I told her that a company was selling head units that had been refurbished and were guaranteed to be plug-n-play and would definitely work as designed including Apply Carplay, etc., (2015-2021 Dodge Challenger GPS Navigation 8.4 4C NAV UAQ Radio with Ap - Infotainment.com; this business is also on YouTube I believe). She said that they had received some consumer concerns indicating they purchased newer radio heads from the dealerships and after installing them, the vehicle’s electronics were “fried.” I told her that I had found a serious disconnect in the published information between Uconnect and Stellantis to the consumer. She agreed. One good thing she described was that voice-to-text messaging would still work because of the blue tooth pairing of our phones, but the text would no longer display on the screen once the 4G was effective in our respective geographical locations.

According to Stellantis and UConnect, when 4G is implemented and your Mopar vehicle is 3G, then you will lose the following:

• Assist button function
  • Concierge Services
  • Roadside Assistance
  • Voice Calling
  • Roaming outside of the US
  • Language support beyond US English
  • Sending destination to car
  • Yelp
  • Ancillary features
  • All in Vehicle Messaging
The guy I've been speaking with at Stellantis sent me an email two days ago. Basically, we're screwed! Stellantis will not do anything for us. I've also tried other phone numbers and the message on the voicemail is that the number is not taking messages and hangs up. Now the 3G to 4G issue is getting out in the news as a problem. I believe they are truly avoiding contact with the consumer. Phone calls unanswered, phone numbers that won't take messages, and no replies to several letters I've sent. I have contacted the US Securities and Exchange Commission to inquire about filing a complaint. We'll see. Otherwise, I'm considering moving forward with another avenue of potential resolution. It's the principle of the matter and if the consumer doesn't take a stand, they will simply run over us as does other large corporations.

Please read this: 3G Network Shutdown & Cars' Automatic Crash Notification - Consumer Reports

I hope this helps anyone who has concerns or questions over these changes.

Thanks everyone for reading!

CDS32

Reaction score
I am in the same boat as you. Bought a $75,000.00 Ram pickup with certain features and now they don't work. These are safety issues and legal issues, NJ has strict laws with texting while driving and for good reason. Calling UConnect was useless. So if you hear anything else or need me to send a letter just let me know. Thanks for the info!!

SFCR

Reaction score
I am in the same boat as you. Bought a $75,000.00 Ram pickup with certain features and now they don't work. These are safety issues and legal issues, NJ has strict laws with texting while driving and for good reason. Calling UConnect was useless. So if you hear anything else or need me to send a letter just let me know. Thanks for the info!!
You are most welcome! I've continued to research this issue and have spoken at length to dealer principals. It appears they are having similar issues when making attempts to contact upper Stellantis management. They simply will not respond! It was brought to my attention that executive management might have been directed to "go silent" other than if they are working from home, However, the latter should not prohibit them from responding to consumer concerns. I have a good friend with a Ram truck that has a suspension issue that Stellantis will not repair other than welding it, they will not reimburse him for an aftermarket part that would resolve this issue, the radio delaminated, and the back glass started leaking inside of the cab. He managed to get Ram to repair the radio and glass, but had to get a Mopar consumer supervisor involved to get the glass replaced. That was a fiasco. I have contacted the attorney's firm below and plan to pursue my concerns to the fullest extent of civil law.

I am not receiving anything from this firm, but they are handling more than one case against Stellantis/Uconnect.

The Miller Law Firm, P.C.

950 West University Drive, Suite 300

Rochester, MI 48307

248.841.2200 (t) | 248.652.2582 (f)

SFCR

Reaction score
PS: If you have the suspension link issue, I'd also contact the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration. I'll find out the exact issue with the suspension link and let you know. I know my friend said it couldn't be adjusted, so the dealership wanted to weld it. There is a well-made aftermarket part that can be used, but Stellantis won't allow it.

CDS32

Reaction score
Mine was already welded. Dodge dealership handled it and the weld looks like bubble gum!! I did better in high school shop class.

Users who are viewing this thread