Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 HEMI eTorque MPG Numbers:

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 HEMI eTorque MPG Numbers:
5thGenRams.com Looks Into The Question...

RM019_329FN2rej482lt6mncgg6f03ndftm11-780x405.jpg

2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4. (FCA Photo)

Our sister site 5thGenRams.com and it’s forum members have done some digging and found some MPG numbers for the all-new 2019 Ram 1500 equipped with the 5.7-liter HEMI with eTorque systems. The forum members ended up finding the window stickers for a few of the HEMI eTorque trucks that have been produced at the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant in Sterling Heights, Michigan.

ET019_003EP58gf045q7dujbvb6mr47undsdu.jpg
2019 Ram 1500 – 5.7-liter V-8 with eTorque. (FCA Photo)

They found that a 2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4×4 with the HEMI eTorque is rated at 17 MPG city, 22 MPG highway and 19 MPG combined. That makes the new HEMI eTorque models the most fuel efficient V8 pickup in it’s class. The HEMI eTorque model beats the non-eTorque model by 2 MPG city, 1 MPG highway and 2 MPG combined.

AE2BA246-9AE1-41AB-8DFA-D80F006ED6E2-3.jpeg
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4×4 HEMI eTorque Window Sticker. (5thGenRams)

The system also provides up to 130 ft-lbs. of launch torque over the standard model from a dead stop.

The HEMI eTorque models are now being produced and should be in dealers soon.

https://moparinsiders.com/2019-ram-1500-hemi-etorque-mpg-numbers/

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to driving one and seeing how it compares to the standard Hemi.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what I was expecting, but this seems mildly disappointing. I guess any improvement is still an improvement though.

BobbiBigWheels

Reaction score
I see it as being an evolution of an already world-class V8 engine. I feel as though the 5.7L will be our workhorse, much like the 5.0L F-150's role in their lineup. The turbo I-6 in the future could be our "faster" engine for all of those people doing drag tests between half-ton trucks (which I really, really, don't understand.)

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I'm expecting too. For how simple the system is, I think the fuel economy gains are pretty good. Where I'm expecting it to shine is in the driveability Dept with the extra available launch torque.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I'm expecting too. For how simple the system is, I think the fuel economy gains are pretty good. Where I'm expecting it to shine is in the driveability Dept with the extra available launch torque.
I’m not sure the extra torque is going to really be noticeable unless you’re pulling a load.

BobbiBigWheels

Reaction score
I’m not sure the extra torque is going to really be noticeable unless you’re pulling a load.
With Tow/Haul on, and a hard start, I think e-Torque will be much faster off the line.

BobbiBigWheels

Reaction score
Is there any different in term of HP and acceleration (Hemi eTorque vs without)
Welcome Hemi!!

I can't see the e-torque providing top-end power, but the torque from 0 RPM will (hopefully) feel more spirited than the current Hemi.

LordHobbit

Reaction score
Realize that e-torque's main purpose is to get the truck rolling from a dead stop and spool the engine for a restart (during stop-start). You won't see any benefit above 1200 RPMs I'm guessing.

My DS gets 22mpg on the highway currently. I imagine with e-torque I wouldn't get any different on the highway, but the city mileage would certainly improve.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Chevy shared economy numbers for the 5.3 with dynamic fuel management. 17 city/23 highway/19 combined.

Mike V.

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what I was expecting, but this seems mildly disappointing. I guess any improvement is still an improvement though.

Actually this is spot on... the goal is to increase city mileage and that was achieved.

Remember, this system is a mild, passive system. It’s not like a Pacifica Hybrid, but something like the Pacifica Hybrid could come to Ram in a few years.

Mike

SpeedyV

Reaction score
So it wasn't really noticeable aside from smoother stop/start and more sensitive brakes?
...and the launch capability from an engine stop position. It may have made a difference in acceleration, but it wasn't noticeable enough for me to make any claims. I was also focused on the 'normal' driving experience, with a mix of highway and city streets and the effects of auto stop-start and cylinder deactivation on those activities. It would be interesting to take a couple of trucks (with and without eTorque) to a dragstrip and/or autocross course, especially with 3.92 gears, and see how they stack up.

Users who are viewing this thread