Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dodge Is Working On A Charger Daytona GT RWD Model

A majority of Dodge enthusiasts are upset about the brand’s path toward electrification. With the introduction of the all-new, all-electric 2024 Dodge Charger Daytona, Dodge is pushing a duo of two-door all-electric muscle cars, offering free performance upgrades for the vehicle’s initial model year of production. But many enthusiasts who are on the fence about the new electric Charger are questioning not only the car’s range but also the current status of the country’s charging infrastructure and price. While Dodge might not have released pricing just yet on the new electrified model, the new Charger Daytona is expected to be … (read full article...)

tempImageoXbS7x.png

Last edited by a moderator:

bill burke

Reaction score
My interest spiked when I read the head line, then reading on, it sunk like a stone.
All-electric is a dead man walking. A Hurricane powered GT affordable model with RWD , now that’s smart, a path to sales and profits in the face of all the pushback on the new Charger. Anticipated this logic and some good news. Electric powered, forget it Dodge that one is NOT selling. If you put together a smaller performance coupe and sedan with a turbo four hybrid that’s affordable as an entry level Dodge, that might work but beating this electric drum over a dead body is so foolish and a waste of time. Thought someone got the message.
Check this Charger Daytona’s pulse Dodge, flatline guys, a big fat flatline.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
My interest spiked when I read the head line, then reading on, it sunk like a stone.
All-electric is a dead man walking. A Hurricane powered GT affordable model with RWD , now that’s smart, a path to sales and profits in the face of all the pushback on the new Charger. Anticipated this logic and some good news. Electric powered, forget it Dodge that one is NOT selling. If you put together a smaller performance coupe and sedan with a turbo four hybrid that’s affordable as an entry level Dodge, that might work but beating this electric drum over a dead body is so foolish and a waste of time. Thought someone got the message.
Check this Charger Daytona’s pulse Dodge, flatline guys, a big fat flatline.

I am sure it will eventually happen... got to push the products that will make the best headlines first.

MoparRay

Reaction score
I'm with Bill on this one. The electric models are going to be slow sellers. Notice Dodge didn't start withe Hellcat models. It was SXT,RT,SRT models that provided the funds to do the Hellcats. They should maybe use the hybrid Pacifica drivetrain with around 300 hp as a SXT mode.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I have at least one customer a week asking for a battery electric vehicle for a rental. EVs aren't dead yet, and the regulations forcing them are still in place. If Stellantis doesn't have skin in the EV game they are doomed. IMO, the dual motor three ton lump Daytona trim is overkill. Somewhere along the line is a point where an acceptable range, charge time and battery size combine for consumer acceptance. This model offering is good news because it means Stellantis understands sometimes less is more.

James.A

Reaction score
If it takes another few model years to get gas powered SXT/GT replacements or a mid-tier gas powered RWD performance model I'll be officially done with the brand - I'm already holding on by a thread. I've waited long enough and I'm still not sure I like what we've been shown for a next-gen but hoping this summer more info on trims will be revealed.

bill burke

Reaction score
If it takes another few model years to get gas powered SXT/GT replacements or a mid-tier gas powered RWD performance model I'll be officially done with the brand - I'm already holding on by a thread. I've waited long enough and I'm still not sure I like what we've been shown for a next-gen but hoping this summer more info on trims will be revealed.
I’m hanging in too, giving Dodge a chance, but differ with some of my friends here, doubt all electric will resonate with Dodge people and inthe short run, will hurt sales terribly. Gave my opinion on electric elsewhere, it has a role anda limited future once perfected and the grid can support it, but for now, dead man walking status prevails.

Mopar392

Reaction score
We have waited since 2020 to get the updated Charger, what another model year or two of waiting is going to harm?
If your mind is set on the gas powered Charger, then it is a good idea to wait for Dodge to iron the issues that usually plague them in the first 2 years of production.

James.A

Reaction score
We have waited since 2020 to get the updated Charger, what another model year or two of waiting is going to harm?
If your mind is set on the gas powered Charger, then it is a good idea to wait for Dodge to iron the issues that usually plague them in the first 2 years of production.
2020? The car has gone unchanged since 2015. Special editions and new trims are not generational updates. And yes, another issue with having taken so long is they will inevitably have issue the first few years. You're making the case to ditch the brand and shop elsewhere.

Mopar392

Reaction score
2020? The car has gone unchanged since 2015. Special editions and new trims are not generational updates. And yes, another issue with having taken so long is they will inevitably have issue the first few years. You're making the case to ditch the brand and shop elsewhere.
Wasn’t this new platform Charger supposed to come out in 2020, then kept being delayed for various reasons?

James.A

Reaction score
Wasn’t this new platform Charger supposed to come out in 2020, then kept being delayed for various reasons?
The insiders were saying a refreshed car for 2019 and new platform for 2021. I was looking forward to an updated Hemi powered L car for 2019 and now after waiting I have this mess.

Mopar392

Reaction score
The insiders were saying a refreshed car for 2019 and new platform for 2021. I was looking forward to an updated Hemi powered L car for 2019 and now after waiting I have this mess.
I agree with you, especially that there was the rumored 7.0l HEMI.
But, I’m keeping my faith in the Hurricane. But I won’t purchase one yet until another couple of years. By that time, we might either see a more powerful version than a 550hp and how the aftermarket is supporting this platform, since there already is JB4 tuner out there for the GW version.
Or, some crazy shop will find a way to swap a Hellcat or a HEMI for that matter.
And my 392 forged stroker will be available for donation.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
Sub-300hp with that kind of weight would be a terrible idea. It would be the 2.7L V6 all over again. Don't get me wrong, I believe electrification could truly be an asset to the Dodge band and to the future of muscle cars, but the direction that Stellantis is taking is not the most ideal. The truth of the matter is the majority of us who are interested in Mopar vehicles aren't really interested in full battery operated vehicles. However, Dodge doesn't have to go full BEV to get vehicles that offer Zero Emissions driving, a fact that was proven by the Jeep 4Xe powertrain. Personally, I feel that a 375hp 2.0L Hybrid turbo powertrain with 470lb-ft of torque offered as an AWD Charger GT would be a much better option than a single motor RWD full BEV option in so many ways. That powertrain moves both the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee with enough authority so why wouldn't do the same (or better) in a smaller, more aerodynamic vehicle? Also offering that as the GT powertrain leaves plenty of room for a 3.0L S/O Hybrid R/T and a 3.0L H/O Scat Pack along with a 3.6L E-torque Pentastar powered SXT as the base model car. While I'm not going to go into putting up projected total system horsepower numbers for an S/O Hybrid and H/O Hybrid with the new plug-in hybrid ZF 8-speed transmission, the 3.0L H/O in hybrid trim would out power any current 6.2L Non Redeye hellcat in both HP and torque. and the S/O Hybrid would eclipse the current 6.4L Scat pack with ease. Add into the fact that are "Cleaner" powertrains that any of the V8s and they would all (minus the 3.6L E-torque) be able to be driven in Zero-emissions modes with the electric modes being able to produce over 200hp and generous amounts of torque on their own. Now let's say Stellantis were to offer these powertrains in not only the Charger coupe/sedan vehicles, but also in all of the proposed STLA: Large vehicles such as the next-gen Durango, the new mid-size pickup (hopefully Dakota), the next-gen Grand Cherokee & Cherokee, the Jeep Recon and also vehicles such as the next-gen Wrangler & Gladiator and even the 3.0L Hybrids in the Ram 1500 pickup trucks/Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer. That kind of power puts the Stellantis brand ahead of pretty much everyone in their class plus gives them efficiency levels not seen in their competitors. Now if the S/O 3.0L Hurricane is the Hurricrate Cat-1 and the 550hp 3.0L H/O in the Charger is essentially the Cat-3 Hurricrate engine, we can assume that the 1,000+hp Cat-X engine will be what the next-gen SRT gas-powered Charger will be powered by. I would venture to say the powertrain could very well see that 1,000+hp in production version in Race mode only with high-octane fuel like the CD170 but in normal street tunes, the car may still be around that 850hp-885hp level. However, even at that power level, adding the Gen-4 ZF 8-speed hybrid transmission behind that with a capable AWD system would still produce a 1,000hp street tuned hybrid that can run with a Tesla plaid WITHOUT being in full race mode (giving birth to my idea of a Charger SRT 1320 variant with 1,320hp set up to dominate the 1/4 mile strip which is 1,320ft). Imagine that car with a "Demon Crate" setup in a lightweight package dedicated to ruling the drag strip and yet still having the ability to be put into a zero-emissions mode with a decent all-electric range. All of this being before any Direct Connection performance upgrades are added to any of these vehicles that would have Direct Connection/Jailbreak upgrades and options available to them. This isn't to say the BEVs don't have their place in the Stellantis North American market. Chrysler is a brand in desperate need of a revolution. I could truly see full electrification going into Chrysler minivans, crossovers, SUV and premium level sports cars/luxury muscle cars. Cars like the Chrysler 300 Hurst edition reborn from the 1970 Chrysler 300 (which looks like an overgrown Charger with way more luxury) that actually has that R-Wing technology in the rear of the car so Chrysler could use it both in the front and in the rear of a larger, more luxurious 2 & 4 door electric luxury muscle car where either silence or it's Fratzonic exhaust system would be more appreciated. I could go on resurecting names for Crossovers and full size SUVs like Imperial, New Yorker, Newport, Fifth Avenue and Lebaron for premium crossovers and SUVs and of course minivans like the Pacifica and Town and Country. These are vehicles that would benefit from silent horsepower. Just think of a full size 800V Chrysler Imperial SUV with a commanding presence that Rivals even the Rolls Royce Cullinan Black Badge SUV (except for in price). A blacked out 800V Performance variant of the Town & Country "Street Van" that can flat out out-perform a BMW X6M or Porsche Cayenne with a Fratzonic exhaust and Jailbreak options. This is how you electrify the MOPAR brands while still keeping your loyal fan base! No you don't need 7-Liter Hemi V8s or any of that kind of stuff, but we will need some major involvement from Direct Connection when it comes to upgrades and options. That's not somewhere that the ball can be dropped.

Last edited:

scatpack_69

Reaction score
I have at least one customer a week asking for a battery electric vehicle for a rental. EVs aren't dead yet, and the regulations forcing them are still in place. If Stellantis doesn't have skin in the EV game they are doomed. IMO, the dual motor three ton lump Daytona trim is overkill. Somewhere along the line is a point where an acceptable range, charge time and battery size combine for consumer acceptance. This model offering is good news because it means Stellantis understands sometimes less is more.
Ok. But one compared to……30? 40? 50? I don’t know what you’re in so hard to gather numbers.

If the ratio is somewhere around 1:20-30, electric is indeed dead

patfromigh

Reaction score
Ok. But one compared to……30? 40? 50? I don’t know what you’re in so hard to gather numbers.

This is anecdotal evidence based on my personal interactions with customers. I would say around 1 out of 9. I don't know what's going on with our commercial truck division, but I know BE vans are very hot.

Remember this Mopar Insiders article? Affordable Adventure: 2024 Jeep® Grand Cherokee Laredo A 4x2
I immediately recognized this Grand Cherokee trim as a fleet vehicle option being tossed out to the retail customers. This Charger Daytona is the same thing as that particular ICE powered Jeep model, rear drive with less features. I suspect this Charger Daytona EV trim is really aimed at fleet sales.

I would not be surprised if there is a four door taxi version of this rear drive model as well. The Tesla cars which Hurts rent-a-car was leasing to Lyft and Uber drivers and also renting out to hapless customers were a FAIL. A big reason for that is Tesla products are not abuser friendly and the Tesla charging network has not kept up with demand. Stellantis is operating on a different strategy for EV fleet vehicles than other EV builders.

TripleT

Reaction score
Y ans 3 are the bulk of Telsa EV sales, So lower models should be volume driving by reputation of the High voltage large battery and multi-engine. Also wieght is driven by the battery and motors involved.

MotorMaven

Reaction score

If electric is dead, how come Tesla sells almost 15 cars for every Challenger or Charger Dodge manages to sell?

Seems to me that the gas guzzling muscle car is dead and some are in denial about it.

Dodge either adopts to the change, or keeps shipping obsolete gas cars with ever-shrinking volumes (a mere 121K for Charger and Challengers of all stripes in 2023) and Dodge performance cars disappear entirely.

There is no future for gas performance cars. They’re an evolutionary dead end.

ipa0628

Reaction score
If electric is dead, how come Tesla sells almost 15 cars for every Challenger or Charger Dodge manages to sell?

Seems to me that the gas guzzling muscle car is dead and some are in denial about it.

Dodge either adopts to the change, or keeps shipping obsolete gas cars with ever-shrinking volumes (a mere 121K for Charger and Challengers of all stripes in 2023) and Dodge performance cars disappear entirely.

There is no future for gas performance cars. They’re an evolutionary dead end.
Dodge is filling a market spot where nobody else in playing, something Mopar hasn't done for years.
If they keep the price increase on the ICE version under 4000, they might have decent sales. If not, Stellantis will have shot themselves in the foot again with pricing greed.
The BEV's will probably be 60K+. No thanks.

TripleT

Reaction score
Foot shooting is selling cars a no margin and nearly going belly up.

Mopar392

Reaction score
Dodge, Jeep, Ram and Chrysler would need to sell both EV and ICE, if they want to succeed on the long term.

We have seen the governments pushing hard on EV just to back track when they realized the technology, infrastructure and people are not ready.

ICE technology is much matured and it keep evolving.

Users who are viewing this thread