Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Belvidere Assembly Plant To Gain New Midsize Pickup

This rare gem from 1982 hits the auction block on the popular auction site BringATrailer.com. This Jeep® J-10 Laredo (SJ), a short-bed Townside pickup, is a testament to the enduring allure of vintage vehicles. With its iconic features and rich history, this Jeep offers a unique opportunity for enthusiasts and collectors alike. Powering this classic … (read full article...)

RAMBEV-2-of-6-scaled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bill burke

Reaction score
Not only is this a victory for the UAW (congratulations) it is a victory for the US auto industry. Keeping manufacturing of a key vehicle, or more possibly, in the states can not be underestimated. My 2019 Cherokee, manufactured at Belvedere is an excellent and flawless product and a tribute to its workforce. If my Jeep is any example, this was a wise decision by Stellantis and a tribute to intelligent and fair collective bargaining.

Mike201

Reaction score
I agree Bill. This is great news for everyone In Belvedere and for all us Mopar guys who want that mid size truck back!! Also I agree on quality from that plant. We have a 2017 Cherokee and it’s one of the best vehicles we have had overall! Congratulations to the hard workers at all our Mopar plants in the US.

TripleT

Reaction score
Crystal ball is pointing the proper path. The JGC pickup is a great idea. While the Heavy and Crowded BOF midsized market is crowded... Honda hangs out nearly unchallenged with the engine running the wrong direction.

I would still make the Rampage in Mexico and import it. But that market also is going to be crowded.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Crystal ball is pointing the proper path. The JGC pickup is a great idea. While the Heavy and Crowded BOF midsized market is crowded... Honda hangs out nearly unchallenged with the engine running the wrong direction.

I would still make the Rampage in Mexico and import it. But that market also is going to be crowded.

No, I disagree with another Jeep® truck. The problem with the Gladiator is you pay the premium for the Jeep name, and they aren't selling.

But I would build the Ram Rampage in Mexico for sure. That truck needed to be here yesterday!

TripleT

Reaction score
No, I disagree with another Jeep® truck. The problem with the Gladiator is you pay the premium for the Jeep name, and they aren't selling.

But I would build the Ram Rampage in Mexico for sure. That truck needed to be here yesterday!
Sorry I wasn't clear it would be a RAM.

Mopar392

Reaction score
We heard about the rumored mid-size pickup for the US before. Was it planned and UAW forced Stellantis to bring the plan into reality or was it a negotiation card?

Anyway, it’s what a lot were hoping for albeit it’s a unibody design instead of BOF.

Can they make a pickup out of Cherokee’s platform or is that platform obsolete and replaced by STLA Medium?

TripleT

Reaction score
We heard about the rumored mid-size pickup for the US before. Was it planned and UAW forced Stellantis to bring the plan into reality or was it a negotiation card?

Anyway, it’s what a lot were hoping for albeit it’s a unibody design instead of BOF.

Can they make a pickup out of Cherokee’s platform or is that platform obsolete and replaced by STLA Medium?
Again, explain the QS stage gate system again but instead I just bing this to save me time. Stage Gate Process: The Complete Practice Guide - Designorate

So New Products a always in development they just don't always clear all the Gates. The Idea that things that start at Gate 1 and must make through Gate 5 is fallacy. It is more like a funnel, most product idea, a large majority of product idea get sorted out, some as late as implementation. Literally the Tool orders, some even later, but that is mess the system is designed to keep that from happening.

Very wise to avoid the crowded BOF mid-Segment that already has a corporate offering.

CUSW platform already has a Pickup... Not sure that it fit for NA.... Better to be on STLA Large which I understand from a carrier perspective is not a giant leap. Pretty sure STLA Medium is a PSA platform so that is a bigger leap.

AlexB

Reaction score
Again, explain the QS stage gate system again but instead I just bing this to save me time. Stage Gate Process: The Complete Practice Guide - Designorate

So New Products a always in development they just don't always clear all the Gates. The Idea that things that start at Gate 1 and must make through Gate 5 is fallacy. It is more like a funnel, most product idea, a large majority of product idea get sorted out, some as late as implementation. Literally the Tool orders, some even later, but that is mess the system is designed to keep that from happening.

Very wise to avoid the crowded BOF mid-Segment that already has a corporate offering.

CUSW platform already has a Pickup... Not sure that it fit for NA.... Better to be on STLA Large which I understand from a carrier perspective is not a giant leap. Pretty sure STLA Medium is a PSA platform so that is a bigger leap.
Yep, hence why Stellantis been showing stretch's of STLA Large truck.

Users who are viewing this thread