Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next-Gen Durango Replacement, More Than Likely Won't Use Stealth Name

Stellantis held its highly anticipated dealer meeting in Las Vegas earlier this year, unveiling an exciting glimpse into the future of the industry as it makes strides toward electrification. Among the lineup of impressive vehicles showcased at the Stellantis Dealer Business, Meeting 2023 were the new Wagoneer S, Jeep® Recon, and Dodge Charger Daytona. However, … (read full article...)

623BE3FD-816E-42B6-A91B-ABB14DD3B9A0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

bill burke

Reaction score
This new Dodge has really caught my attention. I’m waiting my time for the Cherokee replacement, but a performance oriented mid-size SUV matches my personality. The key here is size and power. Must be Hurricane powered and prefer two rows. I predict the Stealth, the Cherokee and the Wagoneer S will be built in the same factory, perhaps even alongside a Chrysler SUV. The new STLA large platform can be cut, stretched, powered and styled to fit the very distinctive brand personalities on the same line without skipping a beat. Most important, done cleverly enough, buyers won’t know a thing about how closely related these SUVs are below the surface. I won’t care a bit.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Compared to the boxy exterior design of its predecessor, the Stealth is envisioned to boast a sportier and more streamlined look, capturing the essence of contemporary design language.

No thanks.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
This new Dodge has really caught my attention. I’m waiting my time for the Cherokee replacement, but a performance oriented mid-size SUV matches my personality. The key here is size and power. Must be Hurricane powered and prefer two rows. I predict the Stealth, the Cherokee and the Wagoneer S will be built in the same factory, perhaps even alongside a Chrysler SUV. The new STLA large platform can be cut, stretched, powered and styled to fit the very distinctive brand personalities on the same line without skipping a beat. Most important, done cleverly enough, buyers won’t know a thing about how closely related these SUVs are below the surface. I won’t care a bit.

KM or Dodge equivalent would be my interest as well. But the next Durango is still supposed to offer 3 rows if I read the article correctly.

Stealth would make an excellent name IMO for a sporty Dodge crossover that is bigger than Hornet, but smaller than Durango

srbrewdad

Reaction score
The article states that "the current Durango still has some road ahead", so it sounds like there will be at least a 2024 Model Year Durango offered with a Hemi engine option.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
Either way, whatever nameplate comes on the next-gen STLA:Large SUV, we know a few things are almost guaranteed. Hurricane powertrains, electric & electrified powertrains and ABSOLUTELY NO HEMI V8 ENGINES!!!!! This new SUV still needs to be "The Charger of the SUV world." It needs to be a modern day dynamic muscle car SUV. Honestly, two-row seating is more than enough for this SUV as comfortable seating for five would be plenty. Throw in a few hybrid hurricane powertrains and we could definitely see some serious performance out of the STLA: Large platform vehicles. We already know the 3.0L Hurricane S.O & 3.0L Hurricane H.O put out impressive Hemi beating horsepower and torque (and a 2.0L Hybrid that has 5.7L Hemi horsepower and 6.4L Hemi torque), and we know Stellantis' Transmission manufacturer ZF has already made the next Gen ZF 8-Speed automatic transmission modular which means they can accept hybrid electric setups so Dodge can technically offer every single STLA: Large platform Next-Gen "Muscle cars" with hybrid powertrains which would actually make everything an "electrified" Vehicle. The electric motor in the Gen-4 hybrid ZF 8HP puts out 122hp and 183lb-ft of torque so if everything from Stellantis from this point out becomes a hybrid, that means we could be looking at a 375hp/470tq 2.0L Hybrid, a 542hp/651tq 3.0L Standard Output Hybrid Hurricane I-6 and a 632hp/683tq (or even 672hp/714tq if Dodge surprises us and puts the 550hp/531tq HurriCrate Cat-3 version in the next gen muscle car) 3.0L High Output Hybrid Hurricane I-6 powertrain. That makes Dodge still absolutely bonkers while being that much more efficient. The 3.0L Hurricane engines already outpower the Hemis they replace and are already more efficient and "Greener" than the pushrod V8s we know and love and if they were to put these hybrid systems behind them with intelligent all-wheel drive systems, we are truly getting ready to see the Mopar brand become even more bonkers than they already are. The STLA: Large platform is already supposed to be a better platform than the one we have now for the Charger, Challenger, 300 and Durango so what are we truly getting ready to get here from the next-gen Mopar performance vehicles? Let's not talk about the potential for Direct Connection Stage kits for these vehicles! Or Jailbreak packages! If Dodge offers these across the entire lineup of their next-gen muscle cars and not just the top tier ones, this could truly be an epic time for the brand! To top it off, the next gen Ram 1500 is ditching the Hemi as well for the new Hurricane powertrain which means these hybrid powertrains could be in the next-gen Rams as well. Can you say Ram 1500 Daytona, Ram 1500 Rebel, Ram 1500 TRX and maybe the potential for a next gen version of a Ram SRT10-type street dominating performance pickup truck? This is all capable from the Stellantis brand even before we talk about full BEVs that have the potential of giving us loud, 1,200hp street cars with the 800V banshee system, or slightly more sane 340kW and 440kW 400V EV systems that still have Stage 1 & 2 kits available for them. The brand also has a 3.0L Hurricane variant called the Cat-X which is supposed to be a Drag Pak version with over 1,000hp. Now, anyone who believes that Dodge will leave that as a race-only powertrain is crazy seeing that they Just released the 1,025hp Demon 170 as a street legal vehicle. Even if they detuned it to let's say 900hp for an E10-fueled, "Street-Legal" version, you throw that same hybrid system behind it and you're looking at a 1,022hp, which makes it 2hp less powerful than the Demon-170 but more emissions friendly as well and that's on E10 fuel (pump gas)! Either way, whatever is coming from the brand with this next generation has the potential to continue on with the same crazy power, performance and styling that the Mopar brands are known for. Anyone who thinks that the brand is going to die without the Hemi V8 is sadly mistaken. Yeah, we're going to see alot more full electric BEVs from the Stellantis brand, this is true. Minivans, volume seller jeeps, and even some performance vehicles. But the brand can still have some insane gas-powered vehicles as well that can be relatively efficient with hybrid technology. Will they sound like the V8's we know and love? NOPE! will they outperform most of them and let us keep on enjoying high powered vehicles we can go to the gas pump and fill up? YUP! Will they more than likely sound like a 2JZGTE Supra, RB26DETT Skyline or even an Australian Ford Barra Inline-6 Turbo engine? We can only hope that these new powertrains will sound as good as the classic I-6 Turbo powertrains I just mentioned. We may even get a Turbo-4 hybrid that might sound pretty good as well. I think if we get vehicles like this as the next generation of Mopar performance vehicles, I really feel like the majority of us could still be happy with what comes from the brand in the next few years. We still get power and sound and all of that from the hybrid cars, while the EPA guys can see green across the board. It's a win-win situation for everyone. For Stellantis, it means no more having to pay Tesla for EV credits, no more law suits and they get to keep their Brotherhood of Muscle and attract new customers into the Family as well.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
The thing is Stellantis has been rumoring for awhile that alot is going to be riding on this new STLA : Large platform. New Muscle cars, SUVs and even a unibody pickup truck are all supposed to be riding on this platform. This covers, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Potentially Ram (Dakota) and all of the powertrains (both confirmed and speculated) that I listed above. While these vehicles cover the bulk of the enthusiasts market, they don't really cover the vehicles that are the true bread-winners of the Stellantis North American arm. Those vehicles are the Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Compass, the Chrysler Minivans and the more pedestrian type vehicles. The bulk of what STLA: North America will be selling will be vehicles like the Dodge Hornet, the aforementioned Jeeps and possibly if it comes to market, a vehicle like the Ram Rampage. While some may have feel that I've left out the Jeep Grand Cherokee as a volume seller (which it is), the market seems to be more focused on the super-economy vehicles like the ones I mentioned. This is where the STLA: Medium platform comes into play. The general population just wants vehicles that get good gas mileage, are reliable and can make it through snow without much issue. A bunch of STLA: Medium Hybrid vehicles running around the U.S with a blend of Hybrid variants and full BEV variants is where you're going to see your Jeep Cherokee replacements. That's not to say they won't be without power or performance or usable size. Just think for a moment, Ford is doing surprisingly well with the sales of the Bronco Sport, which would be the equivalent of something like a Compass or regular Jeep Cherokee. A more retro late-70's inspired "Cherokee Chief" would actually be a great idea for the next-gen Cherokee replacement some of you were mentioning in the comments. Something that size with the hybrid drivetrain from the Hornet R/T would be plenty for a performance oriented Cherokee replacement. The STLA Medium is really going to be aimed at the mainstream buyers and we will more than likely see the return of vehicles like the Sebring/200 from Chrysler, a Dodge Dart/Caliber with GLH packages, a Dodge Nitro, Ram Rampage pickup and maybe a small Chrysler crossover which may only be offered as a BEV because it will be marketed as a more premium vehicle and do its best to separate itself from the rest of the crowd and offer quiet, smooth power and compete with something like the Tesla Model-3 or BMW I-3 and iX3 crossover. My thoughts would be everything from Chrysler from this point forward may be electric across every single platform from STLA: Medium all the way up to STLA: Frame, which really isn't a bad thing. I mean who wouldn't want a Chrysler Pacifica Banshee Stage II? Especially if it took on more of a low-riding SUV look with two big sliding doors for better access to the back and had amazing cargo space. Granted that should be on the STLA: Large platform and not the medium platform but that's my thoughts on that. Offering cars like a Sebring and a Chrysler 200 allows the brand to bring back some vehicles that really did sell decently to a large demographic that couldn't necessarily afford a big luxury car but could still have a nice vehicle that had a bit of power and a bit of luxury because honestly, the 200S was a nice car. An entry level EV with 385hp from a dual motor setup isn't terrible, although it would be no match for a dual motor Tesla-3 when it comes to power unfortunately. Interestingly enough, the early Stellantis reports say that the EDM #2 which is for the STLA Medium platform can be scalable to put out anywhere from 125kW to 180kW. 180kW is equal to 241hp. Double that and you get 482hp, which would be enough to effectively out-muscle a Model-3. But Stellantis is confusing at times.) BTW i got that info from here: (4 DS electric SUVs based on STLA platforms in consideration ), just in case anyone was wondering where I pulled the numbers from. Personally a 200S with that kind of power and could compete with the Tesla-3 with the their track package would be a big win for Chrysler. So would a Model-S Plaid battling Chrysler 300M Hurst edition and a Chrysler Pacifica that could out perform a Telsa Model X Plaid. But back to the mainstream vehicles and Cherokee replacements. The STLA-Medium platform is where its at. For the Dodge Mainstream, I think the Hornet and hopefully a revised Dodge Dart will be the volume sellers. But I don't see the brand putting full BEV options into these cars. Instead I think they'll stick with the same powertrains that are in the hornet now. Even for the R/T & GLH versions. The 288hp/383tq 1.3L Turbo is way more powerful than the SRT4 vehicles that came before it. Although it would need to eclipse the 330hp mark if it's going to be competitive with vehicles like the Civic Type R, Integra Type S, the Golf R, Corolla GR and the rest of the small performance vehicles. A 2.0L Turbo hybrid would actually be a better option as it would give the Dart/Hornet performance models an edge over their competitors. Again, these are just my thoughts and speculations from reading all of the publications put out about the predictions and facts of what's coming down the pipe from Stellantis in the next couple of years. I could be way off but to me, it makes sense and it would bring alot of excitement back to the Mopar brands.

Last edited:

bill burke

Reaction score
Either way, whatever nameplate comes on the next-gen STLA:Large SUV, we know a few things are almost guaranteed. Hurricane powertrains, electric & electrified powertrains and ABSOLUTELY NO HEMI V8 ENGINES!!!!! This new SUV still needs to be "The Charger of the SUV world." It needs to be a modern day dynamic muscle car SUV. Honestly, two-row seating is more than enough for this SUV as comfortable seating for five would be plenty. Throw in a few hybrid hurricane powertrains and we could definitely see some serious performance out of the STLA: Large platform vehicles. We already know the 3.0L Hurricane S.O & 3.0L Hurricane H.O put out impressive Hemi beating horsepower and torque (and a 2.0L Hybrid that has 5.7L Hemi horsepower and 6.4L Hemi torque), and we know Stellantis' Transmission manufacturer ZF has already made the next Gen ZF 8-Speed automatic transmission modular which means they can accept hybrid electric setups so Dodge can technically offer every single STLA: Large platform Next-Gen "Muscle cars" with hybrid powertrains which would actually make everything an "electrified" Vehicle. The electric motor in the Gen-4 hybrid ZF 8HP puts out 122hp and 183lb-ft of torque so if everything from Stellantis from this point out becomes a hybrid, that means we could be looking at a 375hp/470tq 2.0L Hybrid, a 542hp/651tq 3.0L Standard Output Hybrid Hurricane I-6 and a 632hp/683tq (or even 672hp/714tq if Dodge surprises us and puts the 550hp/531tq HurriCrate Cat-3 version in the next gen muscle car) 3.0L High Output Hybrid Hurricane I-6 powertrain. That makes Dodge still absolutely bonkers while being that much more efficient. The 3.0L Hurricane engines already outpower the Hemis they replace and are already more efficient and "Greener" than the pushrod V8s we know and love and if they were to put these hybrid systems behind them with intelligent all-wheel drive systems, we are truly getting ready to see the Mopar brand become even more bonkers than they already are. The STLA: Large platform is already supposed to be a better platform than the one we have now for the Charger, Challenger, 300 and Durango so what are we truly getting ready to get here from the next-gen Mopar performance vehicles? Let's not talk about the potential for Direct Connection Stage kits for these vehicles! Or Jailbreak packages! If Dodge offers these across the entire lineup of their next-gen muscle cars and not just the top tier ones, this could truly be an epic time for the brand! To top it off, the next gen Ram 1500 is ditching the Hemi as well for the new Hurricane powertrain which means these hybrid powertrains could be in the next-gen Rams as well. Can you say Ram 1500 Daytona, Ram 1500 Rebel, Ram 1500 TRX and maybe the potential for a next gen version of a Ram SRT10-type street dominating performance pickup truck? This is all capable from the Stellantis brand even before we talk about full BEVs that have the potential of giving us loud, 1,200hp street cars with the 800V banshee system, or slightly more sane 340kW and 440kW 400V EV systems that still have Stage 1 & 2 kits available for them. The brand also has a 3.0L Hurricane variant called the Cat-X which is supposed to be a Drag Pak version with over 1,000hp. Now, anyone who believes that Dodge will leave that as a race-only powertrain is crazy seeing that they Just released the 1,025hp Demon 170 as a street legal vehicle. Even if they detuned it to let's say 900hp for an E10-fueled, "Street-Legal" version, you throw that same hybrid system behind it and you're looking at a 1,022hp, which makes it 2hp less powerful than the Demon-170 but more emissions friendly as well and that's on E10 fuel (pump gas)! Either way, whatever is coming from the brand with this next generation has the potential to continue on with the same crazy power, performance and styling that the Mopar brands are known for. Anyone who thinks that the brand is going to die without the Hemi V8 is sadly mistaken. Yeah, we're going to see alot more full electric BEVs from the Stellantis brand, this is true. Minivans, volume seller jeeps, and even some performance vehicles. But the brand can still have some insane gas-powered vehicles as well that can be relatively efficient with hybrid technology. Will they sound like the V8's we know and love? NOPE! will they outperform most of them and let us keep on enjoying high powered vehicles we can go to the gas pump and fill up? YUP! Will they more than likely sound like a 2JZGTE Supra, RB26DETT Skyline or even an Australian Ford Barra Inline-6 Turbo engine? We can only hope that these new powertrains will sound as good as the classic I-6 Turbo powertrains I just mentioned. We may even get a Turbo-4 hybrid that might sound pretty good as well. I think if we get vehicles like this as the next generation of Mopar performance vehicles, I really feel like the majority of us could still be happy with what comes from the brand in the next few years. We still get power and sound and all of that from the hybrid cars, while the EPA guys can see green across the board. It's a win-win situation for everyone. For Stellantis, it means no more having to pay Tesla for EV credits, no more law suits and they get to keep their Brotherhood of Muscle and attract new customers into the Family as well.
Got to say your thinking closely parallels mine on this whole Dodge thing. Management is smart enough to go evolutionary on these changes and keeping consistent with the Dodge chemistry. Not to panic, the green agenda, the electric panacea and draconian regulations are crumbling fast as reality and consumer preferences weigh in, so Dodge will have to go slow. I’m reluctantly seeing some exciting things with some of these changes, but keeping my Hemi Challenger no matter what. I need my V-8 rumble fix on a regular basis. Go slow Dodge.

bill burke

Reaction score
The thing is Stellantis has been rumoring for awhile that alot is going to be riding on this new STLA : Large platform. New Muscle cars, SUVs and even a unibody pickup truck are all supposed to be riding on this platform. This covers, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Potentially Ram (Dakota) and all of the powertrains (both confirmed and speculated) that I listed above. While these vehicles cover the bulk of the enthusiasts market, they don't really cover the vehicles that are the true bread-winners of the Stellantis North American arm. Those vehicles are the Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Compass, the Chrysler Minivans and the more pedestrian type vehicles. The bulk of what STLA: North America will be selling will be vehicles like the Dodge Hornet, the aforementioned Jeeps and possibly if it comes to market, a vehicle like the Ram Rampage. While some may have feel that I've left out the Jeep Grand Cherokee as a volume seller (which it is), the market seems to be more focused on the super-economy vehicles like the ones I mentioned. This is where the STLA: Medium platform comes into play. The general population just wants vehicles that get good gas mileage, are reliable and can make it through snow without much issue. A bunch of STLA: Medium Hybrid vehicles running around the U.S with a blend of Hybrid variants and full BEV variants is where you're going to see your Jeep Cherokee replacements. That's not to say they won't be without power or performance or usable size. Just think for a moment, Ford is doing surprisingly well with the sales of the Bronco Sport, which would be the equivalent of something like a Compass or regular Jeep Cherokee. A more retro late-70's inspired "Cherokee Chief" would actually be a great idea for the next-gen Cherokee replacement some of you were mentioning in the comments. Something that size with the hybrid drivetrain from the Hornet R/T would be plenty for a performance oriented Cherokee replacement. The STLA Medium is really going to be aimed at the mainstream buyers and we will more than likely see the return of vehicles like the Sebring/200 from Chrysler, a Dodge Dart/Caliber with GLH packages, a Dodge Nitro, Ram Rampage pickup and maybe a small Chrysler crossover which may only be offered as a BEV because it will be marketed as a more premium vehicle and do its best to separate itself from the rest of the crowd and offer quiet, smooth power and compete with something like the Tesla Model-3 or BMW I-3 and iX3 crossover. My thoughts would be everything from Chrysler from this point forward may be electric across every single platform from STLA: Medium all the way up to STLA: Frame, which really isn't a bad thing. I mean who wouldn't want a Chrysler Pacifica Banshee Stage II? Especially if it took on more of a low-riding SUV look with two big sliding doors for better access to the back and had amazing cargo space. Granted that should be on the STLA: Large platform and not the medium platform but that's my thoughts on that. Offering cars like a Sebring and a Chrysler 200 allows the brand to bring back some vehicles that really did sell decently to a large demographic that couldn't necessarily afford a big luxury car but could still have a nice vehicle that had a bit of power and a bit of luxury because honestly, the 200S was a nice car. An entry level EV with 385hp from a dual motor setup isn't terrible, although it would be no match for a dual motor Tesla-3 when it comes to power unfortunately. Interestingly enough, the early Stellantis reports say that the EDM #2 which is for the STLA Medium platform can be scalable to put out anywhere from 125kW to 180kW. 180kW is equal to 241hp. Double that and you get 482hp, which would be enough to effectively out-muscle a Model-3. But Stellantis is confusing at times.) BTW i got that info from here: (4 DS electric SUVs based on STLA platforms in consideration ), just in case anyone was wondering where I pulled the numbers from. Personally a 200S with that kind of power and could compete with the Tesla-3 with the their track package would be a big win for Chrysler. So would a Model-S Plaid battling Chrysler 300M Hurst edition and a Chrysler Pacifica that could out perform a Telsa Model X Plaid. But back to the mainstream vehicles and Cherokee replacements. The STLA-Medium platform is where its at. For the Dodge Mainstream, I think the Hornet and hopefully a revised Dodge Dart will be the volume sellers. But I don't see the brand putting full BEV options into these cars. Instead I think they'll stick with the same powertrains that are in the hornet now. Even for the R/T & GLH versions. The 288hp/383tq 1.3L Turbo is way more powerful than the SRT4 vehicles that came before it. Although it would need to eclipse the 330hp mark if it's going to be competitive with vehicles like the Civic Type R, Integra Type S, the Golf R, Corolla GR and the rest of the small performance vehicles. A 2.0L Turbo hybrid would actually be a better option as it would give the Dart/Hornet performance models an edge over their competitors. Again, these are just my thoughts and speculations from reading all of the publications put out about the predictions and facts of what's coming down the pipe from Stellantis in the next couple of years. I could be way off but to me, it makes sense and it would bring alot of excitement back to the Mopar brands.
All of us here are shoulders deep in speculation at this point and no doubt each opinion has logic behind them. What I think we can all agree on is that the modular approach to the two most significant platforms consciously allows for many combinations and applications within and among the brands. I believe vehicles like the Compass, Renegade, Hornet and Rampage are legacy vehicles, too competent and proven to walk away from too soon, and too early in need of replacement to rush the transition to the new family of platforms. Since I’m a big Cherokee fan and waiting for the next generation, I’m pretty confident it will be a STLA Large product. The few shortcomings of this really satisfying SUV is size, which I think could be a tad wider, a tad longer thus increasing interior size, comfort, and cargo capacity. A larger rear door opening would do wonders. This seems to align with the Large platform and its various electric and non-electric power trains. Why wait on this logical transition? Pretty sure the Cherokee will grow and create greater separation from the Compass, this compact Jeep being a sure fire candidate for the new Medium platform. I’m wishing for a Hurricane six with electric augmented 4WD with my next Cherokee....or will it be a Stealth? True to the Stellantis plan, I have choices.

Mike201

Reaction score
After reading all these comments and thinking about our future with EV vehicles in a few years, I still don’t see it happening.
Yes I am looking at our world wide heatwave this summer, and how the southern US is dealing with the heat . It is getting blamed on ICE vehicles and anything else that runs on gas ruining our ozone which is causing the extramarital heat.
Now let’s look at this same heatwave in 10 years when over 50% of our vehicles will be ICE. If we are charging them taking all this power from the grid, how will we run our air conditioners and household appliances to survive this? There is no way our electric grid in the US will be ready nor will it be ready in other parts of the world who are behind our technology. This EV thing needs to be rethought. It is a disaster in the making. We are better off with our ICE vehicles or even hybrids!!!

AlexB

Reaction score
Respectfully, Stellantis is not going to go back to the Sebring/Dart/ Civic type products. Chrysler didn't make money on those types of vehicles.
Civic nameplate may live on as a EV Crossover-type vehicle, but those type of sedans don't work as an EV Product.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
All of us here are shoulders deep in speculation at this point and no doubt each opinion has logic behind them. What I think we can all agree on is that the modular approach to the two most significant platforms consciously allows for many combinations and applications within and among the brands. I believe vehicles like the Compass, Renegade, Hornet and Rampage are legacy vehicles, too competent and proven to walk away from too soon, and too early in need of replacement to rush the transition to the new family of platforms. Since I’m a big Cherokee fan and waiting for the next generation, I’m pretty confident it will be a STLA Large product. The few shortcomings of this really satisfying SUV is size, which I think could be a tad wider, a tad longer thus increasing interior size, comfort, and cargo capacity. A larger rear door opening would do wonders. This seems to align with the Large platform and its various electric and non-electric power trains. Why wait on this logical transition? Pretty sure the Cherokee will grow and create greater separation from the Compass, this compact Jeep being a sure fire candidate for the new Medium platform. I’m wishing for a Hurricane six with electric augmented 4WD with my next Cherokee....or will it be a Stealth? True to the Stellantis plan, I have choices.
Right now, we are all in speculation mode. A bit of concern, fear, and maybe a slight bit of hope for out beloved brand is something that I'm sure we are all feeling. At least I know that I am. Right now, we're watching Stellantis, North America go through alot of changes due to the ever changing EPA Regulations and the thing that makes us love the brand so much is actually the thing that's causing it to be a huge target. To me, the solution is simple. Take the Chrysler brand, make it all EV to compete in the Premium EV market, take Jeep as the volume seller brand and go full hybrid and full EV, not really worrying about massive power for 95% of the lineup and this way they can focus the performance hybrids and performance EVs with the Dodge brand. This would give us time to get the infrastructure ready for a massive EV influx, that currently, thanks to the Knee-Jerk decisions by the government, we aren't prepared for. The problem is, it may not be that simple. While I hate to admit it, Ford had the best idea introducing the ecoboost family of vehicles awhile ago, which helped them to keep their carbon footprint low because nearly everything has an ecoboost 4 or 6 cylinder under the hood, which allows them to keep the small displacement 5.0L/5.2L V8 going. But even with that, those engines make up a tiny portion of what they sell overall because even in the trucks, the 2.7L Ecoboost and 3.5L Ecoboost outsell the 5.0L V8 by a considerable margin and the 3.0L Hybrid in several vehicles makes alot of power without the need for a V8 and is more "emissions friendly." As I mentioned above, there is major power to be made with the 3.0L Hurricane I-6 twin turbo, especially in hybrid form and who knows, that engine may just be the first of several Inline-6 twin turbo engines that fall under the Hurricane name. Again, all speculation because right now, we don't know. We know on one side that the V8 engines "As we know it" are going to be gone. we know that the current gen muscle cars are leaving after this run. We know that the new vehicles are going to be on the STLA Medium, Large and Frame platforms, We know we're getting hurricane engines, we know the next Gen 8HP transmission is going to be hybrid capable, We know electric models are coming, We know the grid as of right now can't handle the entire auto industry going full EV because of infrastructure and several other things. (alot of which could simply be solved by moving nearly all residential and commercial buildings to solar/wind power but I don't want to say that because it would make too much sense). The problem is right now, what we don't know. We don't know what Stellantis is going to be doing exactly with the North American Brands in the upcoming years. We can speculate all day of what we hope to see and what we want to see. But, we don't really know what the brand is going to do within the next couple of years. Honestly, there are so many things I would love to see the Stellantis: North American brand do with the complete lineup of vehicles from Chrysler to Jeep. There are so many Jeep models that could easily be brought back and really made to compete with the rest of the world with simply the STLA Large platform and the 4Xe powertrain. Seeing that the Wrangler and Gladiator will be on the STLA: Frame platform in the near future, Jeep would easily be free to have the Cherokee Chief (That should compete with the Bronco), Grand Cherokee with all of the Hurricane and 4Xe powertrains as well as full BEV options and the Recon (which is a complete BEV). With Tim Kuniskis over the Ram Brand and Dodge Brand, Ram should fall back under Dodge and if they want a vehicle to compete with the Tahoe, Suburban, and Expedition, here's a no-brainer idea, call it the RAMCHARGER!!!!!! Oh wait, GMC Just came out with the hummer EV. Okay cool, the Ramcharger would be on the STLA: Frame platform, give the SUV a full BEV option with the 800V system that supposedly may have a tri-motor 1,200hp setup. Done! Make both of the 3.0L Hurricane options hybrid and outpower both Ford and GM's SUVs. Oh wait, we don't want to cannibalize the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer sales. No problem, give it a different mission since the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer go after the Denali and Escalade anyway and not the Tahoe/Suburban/Expedition/Navigator anyway. Give it a bit of TRX and Rebel Hardware (and trim options) and take it back to its roots with a bit of retro styling. With Ram back under the Dodge umbrella, expand the 1500 to a wider group of enthusiasts and bring the street performance trucks back. Also bring back the Dakota and Rampage to compete with vehicles like the Ranger, the Canyon, The Colorado, the Maverick, the Tacoma, the Ridgeline and the Santa Cruze. Make them all Hybrids and EVs and call it a day. And Tim Kuniskis needs to stop playing and go jump in that "Sandbox" with the Mustang and stop staying in the Sandbox it's in and make a Mustang Destroyer. Like I said before, I hate to say it but Ford has something that works with the Mustang and it's high time that Dodge steps up to the plate and takes a real swing. Fun fact, the Barracuda was the car that competed with the Mustang, not the Challenger. The Challenger was the more luxury oriented muscle car while the Barracuda was the more hard-edged Mustang & Camaro fighter. The thing about the Barracuda is, from '64-'69, it also came with a fastback option, ergo the reason it would do better as a mustang competitor than the Challenger. To me, the best idea would be to drop the Challenger from the lineup and replace it with the Barracuda because it would fall more in line with the new styling direction the brand is going. Especially looking at the design language of the Charger Banshee concept. While the car was made by Plymouth, A fastback/liftback Dodge version that's more aerodynamic with the Hurricane engine options and even blends aspects of the different years into the iconic Barracuda fastback styling with AWD and everything else would be more than enough to dominate the Mustang's Pony car reign. It would also put it in the crosshairs to challenge the BMW M4 and possibly even the Nissan GTR as well. Again this is all speculation and hopefulness of things the brand can do with what they have at their disposal. With these platforms and powertrains, the brand can move through nearly any segment it wants along with utilizing names and trim packages from several different eras. Chrysler could easily be reborn as the Premium BEV segment rivaling EV luxury and performance vehicles from Tesla, Lucid, BWM, Mercedes Benz, Cadillac, Denali, Audi, Porsche, Polestar, and all of the others. Jeep can still be the bread-winner of the bunch with industry leading hybrids and BEV SUVs. Dodge can still lead the horsepower and muscle car charge into the future and even possibly bring back the Viper as an insane Hybrid-Hurricane powered vehicle with an Banshee Tri-Motor system. The Viper, to me is the only car in the Mopar lineup that really could benefit from a spin off. This way it could not only compete with the upcoming Corvette sub-brand with a sports car and performance crossover, but it could also compete with vehicles like the Lamborghini Urus, the Porsche Cayenne and other ultra-high performance super SUVS. The only difference would be that the Viper Sub-brand could offer different performance levels that would be more attainable to the working class enthusiast. Ultra high performance 800V tri-Motor BEVs and Hurricane hybrids could definitely span the lineup similar to what a performance crossover Mercedes or BMW X6 or Porsche offers. IDK, to me, the Stellantis: North American branch has so much it could do right now with the platforms and powertrains it has. I could go on forever with thoughts and Ideas and speculations and hopes and dreams of all the potential that I see and someone who has a love and understanding of the Mopar brand from the NASCAR & Muscle car days of the 50's, '60's and '70's, the history and legacy of the Jeep Brand, a legacy of industry firsts like the first minivan (Caravan), the first crossover (AMC Eagle) the first luxury SUV (Grand Wagoneer), the First pony car (Barracuda), first 200mph cars (Daytona & Superbird), the GLH and K-Car era of the 80's and 90's, to the SRT4, SRT8, 392 & Hellcat days we experience now. I guess in a sense I'm super passionate about the brand (hence why none of my responses can ever be just one sentence, sorry) because of all that the brand has been in this industry and how it spans such a large section of the auto industry. The Mopar brand is an entire brand for enthusiasts. Tim Kuniskis called the Dodge brand "The Neck Tattoo of the industry" while I understand what he meant and in a way he might have been right. the Dodge brand (as well as the entire Mopar brand) is the the only brand that encompasses so many enthusiasts under its entire umbrella, The whole Mopar umbrella is a brotherhood of muscle. It is Family (in Dom Toretto voice) because the brand is build on passion, it's built on love, its built on tradition, it's built on foundation, it's built for "We the people...", This brand unites us more than any other American Brand on the market. This brand makes us feel alive and it isn't just the Hemi V8s that do it because the Jeep 4.0L I-6 and the 225 Slant-6 are just as iconic as a 440magnum or a Hellcat V8. It just depends on what era we were in at the time. Mopar is a brand where we stand out together. Mopar is the brand that offers more factory customization options than any other brand out there (Something that needs to grow with these twin turbo engines and new platforms under Direct Connection if you guys at stellantis are reading this!!) Again, I could go on forever about this stuff, but again, long story short. Stellantis, North America has alot of potential with what they could do with the upcoming platforms and powertrains. my only hope is that the brand can be successful and still be themselves for the next several generations and that it will still be a brand for us enthusiasts, both on road and off.

AlexB

Reaction score
Right now, we are all in speculation mode. A bit of concern, fear, and maybe a slight bit of hope for out beloved brand is something that I'm sure we are all feeling. At least I know that I am. Right now, we're watching Stellantis, North America go through alot of changes due to the ever changing EPA Regulations and the thing that makes us love the brand so much is actually the thing that's causing it to be a huge target. To me, the solution is simple. Take the Chrysler brand, make it all EV to compete in the Premium EV market, take Jeep as the volume seller brand and go full hybrid and full EV, not really worrying about massive power for 95% of the lineup and this way they can focus the performance hybrids and performance EVs with the Dodge brand. This would give us time to get the infrastructure ready for a massive EV influx, that currently, thanks to the Knee-Jerk decisions by the government, we aren't prepared for. The problem is, it may not be that simple. While I hate to admit it, Ford had the best idea introducing the ecoboost family of vehicles awhile ago, which helped them to keep their carbon footprint low because nearly everything has an ecoboost 4 or 6 cylinder under the hood, which allows them to keep the small displacement 5.0L/5.2L V8 going. But even with that, those engines make up a tiny portion of what they sell overall because even in the trucks, the 2.7L Ecoboost and 3.5L Ecoboost outsell the 5.0L V8 by a considerable margin and the 3.0L Hybrid in several vehicles makes alot of power without the need for a V8 and is more "emissions friendly." As I mentioned above, there is major power to be made with the 3.0L Hurricane I-6 twin turbo, especially in hybrid form and who knows, that engine may just be the first of several Inline-6 twin turbo engines that fall under the Hurricane name. Again, all speculation because right now, we don't know. We know on one side that the V8 engines "As we know it" are going to be gone. we know that the current gen muscle cars are leaving after this run. We know that the new vehicles are going to be on the STLA Medium, Large and Frame platforms, We know we're getting hurricane engines, we know the next Gen 8HP transmission is going to be hybrid capable, We know electric models are coming, We know the grid as of right now can't handle the entire auto industry going full EV because of infrastructure and several other things. (alot of which could simply be solved by moving nearly all residential and commercial buildings to solar/wind power but I don't want to say that because it would make too much sense). The problem is right now, what we don't know. We don't know what Stellantis is going to be doing exactly with the North American Brands in the upcoming years. We can speculate all day of what we hope to see and what we want to see. But, we don't really know what the brand is going to do within the next couple of years. Honestly, there are so many things I would love to see the Stellantis: North American brand do with the complete lineup of vehicles from Chrysler to Jeep. There are so many Jeep models that could easily be brought back and really made to compete with the rest of the world with simply the STLA Large platform and the 4Xe powertrain. Seeing that the Wrangler and Gladiator will be on the STLA: Frame platform in the near future, Jeep would easily be free to have the Cherokee Chief (That should compete with the Bronco), Grand Cherokee with all of the Hurricane and 4Xe powertrains as well as full BEV options and the Recon (which is a complete BEV). With Tim Kuniskis over the Ram Brand and Dodge Brand, Ram should fall back under Dodge and if they want a vehicle to compete with the Tahoe, Suburban, and Expedition, here's a no-brainer idea, call it the RAMCHARGER!!!!!! Oh wait, GMC Just came out with the hummer EV. Okay cool, the Ramcharger would be on the STLA: Frame platform, give the SUV a full BEV option with the 800V system that supposedly may have a tri-motor 1,200hp setup. Done! Make both of the 3.0L Hurricane options hybrid and outpower both Ford and GM's SUVs. Oh wait, we don't want to cannibalize the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer sales. No problem, give it a different mission since the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer go after the Denali and Escalade anyway and not the Tahoe/Suburban/Expedition/Navigator anyway. Give it a bit of TRX and Rebel Hardware (and trim options) and take it back to its roots with a bit of retro styling. With Ram back under the Dodge umbrella, expand the 1500 to a wider group of enthusiasts and bring the street performance trucks back. Also bring back the Dakota and Rampage to compete with vehicles like the Ranger, the Canyon, The Colorado, the Maverick, the Tacoma, the Ridgeline and the Santa Cruze. Make them all Hybrids and EVs and call it a day. And Tim Kuniskis needs to stop playing and go jump in that "Sandbox" with the Mustang and stop staying in the Sandbox it's in and make a Mustang Destroyer. Like I said before, I hate to say it but Ford has something that works with the Mustang and it's high time that Dodge steps up to the plate and takes a real swing. Fun fact, the Barracuda was the car that competed with the Mustang, not the Challenger. The Challenger was the more luxury oriented muscle car while the Barracuda was the more hard-edged Mustang & Camaro fighter. The thing about the Barracuda is, from '64-'69, it also came with a fastback option, ergo the reason it would do better as a mustang competitor than the Challenger. To me, the best idea would be to drop the Challenger from the lineup and replace it with the Barracuda because it would fall more in line with the new styling direction the brand is going. Especially looking at the design language of the Charger Banshee concept. While the car was made by Plymouth, A fastback/liftback Dodge version that's more aerodynamic with the Hurricane engine options and even blends aspects of the different years into the iconic Barracuda fastback styling with AWD and everything else would be more than enough to dominate the Mustang's Pony car reign. It would also put it in the crosshairs to challenge the BMW M4 and possibly even the Nissan GTR as well. Again this is all speculation and hopefulness of things the brand can do with what they have at their disposal. With these platforms and powertrains, the brand can move through nearly any segment it wants along with utilizing names and trim packages from several different eras. Chrysler could easily be reborn as the Premium BEV segment rivaling EV luxury and performance vehicles from Tesla, Lucid, BWM, Mercedes Benz, Cadillac, Denali, Audi, Porsche, Polestar, and all of the others. Jeep can still be the bread-winner of the bunch with industry leading hybrids and BEV SUVs. Dodge can still lead the horsepower and muscle car charge into the future and even possibly bring back the Viper as an insane Hybrid-Hurricane powered vehicle with an Banshee Tri-Motor system. The Viper, to me is the only car in the Mopar lineup that really could benefit from a spin off. This way it could not only compete with the upcoming Corvette sub-brand with a sports car and performance crossover, but it could also compete with vehicles like the Lamborghini Urus, the Porsche Cayenne and other ultra-high performance super SUVS. The only difference would be that the Viper Sub-brand could offer different performance levels that would be more attainable to the working class enthusiast. Ultra high performance 800V tri-Motor BEVs and Hurricane hybrids could definitely span the lineup similar to what a performance crossover Mercedes or BMW X6 or Porsche offers. IDK, to me, the Stellantis: North American branch has so much it could do right now with the platforms and powertrains it has. I could go on forever with thoughts and Ideas and speculations and hopes and dreams of all the potential that I see and someone who has a love and understanding of the Mopar brand from the NASCAR & Muscle car days of the 50's, '60's and '70's, the history and legacy of the Jeep Brand, a legacy of industry firsts like the first minivan (Caravan), the first crossover (AMC Eagle) the first luxury SUV (Grand Wagoneer), the First pony car (Barracuda), first 200mph cars (Daytona & Superbird), the GLH and K-Car era of the 80's and 90's, to the SRT4, SRT8, 392 & Hellcat days we experience now. I guess in a sense I'm super passionate about the brand (hence why none of my responses can ever be just one sentence, sorry) because of all that the brand has been in this industry and how it spans such a large section of the auto industry. The Mopar brand is an entire brand for enthusiasts. Tim Kuniskis called the Dodge brand "The Neck Tattoo of the industry" while I understand what he meant and in a way he might have been right. the Dodge brand (as well as the entire Mopar brand) is the the only brand that encompasses so many enthusiasts under its entire umbrella, The whole Mopar umbrella is a brotherhood of muscle. It is Family (in Dom Toretto voice) because the brand is build on passion, it's built on love, its built on tradition, it's built on foundation, it's built for "We the people...", This brand unites us more than any other American Brand on the market. This brand makes us feel alive and it isn't just the Hemi V8s that do it because the Jeep 4.0L I-6 and the 225 Slant-6 are just as iconic as a 440magnum or a Hellcat V8. It just depends on what era we were in at the time. Mopar is a brand where we stand out together. Mopar is the brand that offers more factory customization options than any other brand out there (Something that needs to grow with these twin turbo engines and new platforms under Direct Connection if you guys at stellantis are reading this!!) Again, I could go on forever about this stuff, but again, long story short. Stellantis, North America has alot of potential with what they could do with the upcoming platforms and powertrains. my only hope is that the brand can be successful and still be themselves for the next several generations and that it will still be a brand for us enthusiasts, both on road and off.
But the company (especially those execs that are powerful stockholders) believes RAM success was drive by separating it from Dodge brand.

Hemi_Dart

Reaction score
A Big Unibody is by far better for the Durango. History has proven that Dodge cannot compete in a "Me Too" market. Unibody is lighter and stiffer than BoF. The Durango would have lost its best attribute and that's the solid feel of the drive experience.

Hemi_Dart

Reaction score
FCA failed when GM & Ford both developed great push rod engines the past decade. There is no modern push rod V8 still 2009 Tech. They should have developed a small Hemi ~5.2L, 125 lbs lighter than the 5.7 and much more fuel efficient while keeping a pushrod V8. 360 hp & 368 lb.ft Tq allows it to use the same TF850 Trans which is more efficient and lighter or use the TF870 when hybrid. Also many more common parts between V6 & V8 models reduces manufacturing costs.

318 Hemi, Shrink the bore spacing from 4.46" to 4.10", deck from 9.25" to 8.60" and use an aluminum block with spray on liner. Use Direct Injection and 12:1 compression.

426 Hemi
Current B.S. 4.46 & Deck 9.25, 4.225" bore and 3.80" stroke although 3.75" stroke 4.25" bore is do-able with spray on liners on an aluminum block. Radical cam, direct injection, 12.1 compression, and 600hp at 6,500 rpm. Reduce vehicle weight and Drag Coef they could still gain 1 mpg.

FCA is way behind where they should be...By a decade or two.

AlexB

Reaction score
FCA failed when GM & Ford both developed great push rod engines the past decade. There is no modern push rod V8 still 2009 Tech. They should have developed a small Hemi ~5.2L, 125 lbs lighter than the 5.7 and much more fuel efficient while keeping a pushrod V8. 360 hp & 368 lb.ft Tq allows it to use the same TF850 Trans which is more efficient and lighter or use the TF870 when hybrid. Also many more common parts between V6 & V8 models reduces manufacturing costs.

318 Hemi, Shrink the bore spacing from 4.46" to 4.10", deck from 9.25" to 8.60" and use an aluminum block with spray on liner. Use Direct Injection and 12:1 compression.

426 Hemi
Current B.S. 4.46 & Deck 9.25, 4.225" bore and 3.80" stroke although 3.75" stroke 4.25" bore is do-able with spray on liners on an aluminum block. Radical cam, direct injection, 12.1 compression, and 600hp at 6,500 rpm. Reduce vehicle weight and Drag Coef they could still gain 1 mpg.

FCA is way behind where they should be...By a decade or two.
This inaccurate because the Truck Marketshare says otherwise, and with the way things are head politically come 2024, Ford wasted their cash.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
But the company (especially those execs that are powerful stockholders) believes RAM success was drive by separating it from Dodge brand.
At one point in time they were probably correct.

Hemi_Dart

Reaction score
This inaccurate because the Truck Marketshare says otherwise, and with the way things are head politically come 2024, Ford wasted their cash.
I said nothing about the truck market and they're dropping the 5.7 so you have no point. Those 5.7s are still wiping out cam lobes (mine is a 2014 300C). A light weight Hemi that has a 2 mpg improvement would keep it around now we have nothing. Wake up and quit living in 2009.

TripleT

Reaction score
I said nothing about the truck market and they're dropping the 5.7 so you have no point. Those 5.7s are still wiping out cam lobes (mine is a 2014 300C). A light weight Hemi that has a 2 mpg improvement would keep it around now we have nothing. Wake up and quit living in 2009.
Hurricane is nothing... gotcha sport.

Users who are viewing this thread