Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triplets are coming?

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems that triplets are coming. One for Alfa, Fiat and Jeep. B segment SUVs. They considered as much as five siblings.

Of course all could be subject to change but from what I've heard Alfa is for sure approved project. The other two should be a second generations of Renegade and 500X,

Launch date? I believe in 2022 or 2023 depending on models. I have a felling that Alfa will be the first. What will trickle down from upcoming Tonale?

I would call this Small Wide v2.0.

Mopar392

Reaction score
So another B-SUV Jeep beside Renegade and another Fiat one beside 500X plus an Alfa, right?

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Most likely Lancia and another Fiat. But who knows. Some projects are shelved some others are approved. But there could always be a change.

I'm thinking that this model could be a replacement for Giulietta. Similar price point and so on. There is no much models in a limbo beetwen B and C segments. IMO current 500X and Renegade are good examples. Another good examples are VW T-Roc, Mazda CX-30 and Audi Q2.

horvat

Reaction score
So it is not yet clear, whether it will be new generation of 500x/renegade duo, or completely new model siting alongside 500x/renegade?

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
@horvat

That's a good observation. But as we know both Renegade and 500X are inching closer to their end of life. New generation is needed and actually in the last 5 year plan all new Renegade was slated for 2022. Of course that may slip for 2023.

Actually I'm expecting this new Alfa in mid 2022 at the best.

Smaller than 500X may be too small for Alfa. As we know MiTo was a slower seller than Giulietta. It seems that people are not in love with (too) small Alfas.

B+ sized SUV may be the smallest acceptable size for most Alfa customers even in Europe.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
An Alfa B+ sized SUV (similar in size to the 500X, or to the T-Roc and Q2) would be a great seller.
FCA could then make like they did with the 500X: launch a "Sport" version with no plastic cladding and with a lower center of gravity and then we would have a new Giulietta but FCA could charge 4 or 5k more for it... :p

GasAxe

Reaction score
I wonder if the Jeep will keep the Renegade design language or if it'll align itself with the Grand Cherokee side of the family.
I hope they keep the Renegade styled as a baby Wrangler. The Cherokee style will potentially be on Compass, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Grand Cherokee 3 row, Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer. 6 models!! Yes there are differences in the details but Jeep doesn’t need to pigeon hole their designs. I still hold out hope the Wagoneers will go with a more retro/traditional design.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope they keep the Renegade styled as a baby Wrangler. The Cherokee style will potentially be on Compass, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Grand Cherokee 3 row, Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer. 6 models!! Yes there are differences in the details but Jeep doesn’t need to pigeon hole their designs. I still hold out hope the Wagoneers will go with a more retro/traditional design.
Hoping it continues with the Wrangler design language too, but maybe less "chunky." Kind of hard to describe, but there's a visual heft to the Renegade that I think is holding it back from a design perspective.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
@Ryan

Yes, Wrangler design language is just fine. They should keep it.

But I would like to see it slightly lower in height and with maybe a slightly longer wheelbase. Aerodynamic must be improved.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
+1 for keeping the Wrangler-like design. And yes, they should make it less chunky. I think they can achieve that by using more straight lines in the design.
It suits the Renegade well.

AlfaCuda

Reaction score
I don't like Alfa going down to B segment. Will hurt the image. Looks like they are chasing after volume.

mopar22

Reaction score
I don't like Alfa going down to B segment. Will hurt the image. Looks like they are chasing after volume.
It's no different then say audi, bmw, merc, ect. They all have at least 1 b segment car

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
It's no different then say audi, bmw, merc, ect. They all have at least 1 b segment car

Audi has 2 on paper but 1 is more like a C- or B+ than a proper B segment.

Merc and BMW start with a compact segments. 1 Series and A Class are both C/compact segment.

Actually if properly executed this Alfa will be fine but it may not sell better than Tonale and it's more than likely that it will not be offered in North America. Audi is not offering Q2 in the USA.

mopar22

Reaction score
Audi has 2 on paper but 1 is more like a C- or B+ than a proper B segment.

Merc and BMW start with a compact segments. 1 Series and A Class are both C/compact segment.

Actually if properly executed this Alfa will be fine but it may not sell better than Tonale and it's more than likely that it will not be offered in North America. Audi is not offering Q2 in the USA.
Bmw i3 is b segment, a class used to be b segment, audi has the a1 for b segment

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Bmw i3 is b segment, a class used to be b segment, audi has the a1 for b segment

Ah i3. I even forgot that is exist. Unimportant model for BMW even in Europe. Huuuge failure. So huge that they've altered their electrification plans.

BMW starts with 1er. And that's it.

Alfa had a B segment hatch in Europe. It was killed last year. It was never a good seller. Actually C segment Giulietta outsold it handily.

But as I said B segment SUV could be a hit if it's properly executed and above all it must be marketed as a Giulietta replacement all over the Europe.

AlfaCuda

Reaction score

Exactly my point. Alfa is/was supposed to be set apart from the German trio. Initially the plan was to have a all rwd based range. This got diluted by the Tonale. Now a class lower. I think a B UV in Europe is better catered by Fiat500/Lancia/Jeep than Alfa which is a distinctly sporting brand.

Users who are viewing this thread