Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Jeep Compass-Based Three-Row CUV Spied Testing In Sweden

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

New Jeep Compass-Based Three-Row CUV Spied Testing In Sweden​

jeep-compass-three-row-suv-front-spy-photo.jpg

This marks just the second time we've spotted this curious crossover from Jeep, but these fresh spy photos serve an important purpose. Our first glimpse caught a vehicle draped in heavy camouflage, but now we can clearly see Jeep's seven-bar grille behind lighter covers. We also easily see the stretched backside of this compact CUV which hides a third row of seats. But don't call it a Grand Compass, or even a Compass for that matter.

There's still much we don't know about this new seven-seater, but we do know it's basically a stretched Compass despite the name game. Our sources say it's based on the current Compass, and it will share design cues both inside and out with the familiar two-row model. It won't be a carbon copy – we can see shades of the new Grand Cherokee peaking through the front-end camouflage, specifically with the LED lamps at the corners of the front fascia. The wheel arches have the chunky Compass shape, however, and looking very closely at the back, we can make out the up-angled D-pillar glass that's also a Compass trademark.

Archknight

Reaction score
With the new 308 being unveiled in spyshots recently, I could see a revised fastback style model under the Chrysler banner in the US. However, I don't expect anything to start happening for at least another year or so, since Dodge has a plan and Chrysler doesn't even have a CEO.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Will this be for Europe? Or is it the 7-seat for Brazil?

Mopar392

Reaction score
With the new 308 being unveiled in spyshots recently, I could see a revised fastback style model under the Chrysler banner in the US. However, I don't expect anything to start happening for at least another year or so, since Dodge has a plan and Chrysler doesn't even have a CEO.
Small Hatchbacks and sedans won't sell well if look at the market in the past 5 years or so.
But having Peugeot or Opel crossover as a base for Chrysler's ones might be a way to keep Chrysler alive.

Mopar392

Reaction score
South America and India for now. There is no word for European production.
I don't know about Europe, but Nissan Rogue in the US has a 3 row version.
In Japan, Mazda CX-5 has also a 3 row version.

It is a good option for someone in the market for a mid-size crossover with 3 kids and their chairs but don't won't to go to the full-size option.

patfromigh

Reaction score
One of the larger Citroen crossovers would be a good fit for the Chrysler brand. They should change the exterior styling to mainstream American tastes, retrofit the interiors in the same manner, and use domestic built engines and transmissions. By the time they are done, it wouldn't look like a Citroen.

I'm still waiting by the phone if the Stellantis senior management wants me to head the Chrysler brand.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmh. For now it would be better to make plans with heritage FCA platform for cars bound for US market.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The sad thing is the Chrysler brand was supposed to get the Freemont replacement for the US and Canada. It looks like Jeep has stolen the design.

Archknight

Reaction score
Small Hatchbacks and sedans won't sell well if look at the market in the past 5 years or so.
But having Peugeot or Opel crossover as a base for Chrysler's ones might be a way to keep Chrysler alive.
I agree the market has declined, but that hasn't stopped premium/lux automakers from raking in cash on these cheaper FWD platforms and there are buyers out there that won't buy an CUV/SUV until they are forced to. In another sense, the US was is never given the best designs with the hatches and are relegated to cheaper fugly alternatives. Europe got the Giuletta, Scirocco, Proceed GT, CLA fastback, etc. --if people are given style, substance, and features they are likely to give up a little more cash.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know about Europe, but Nissan Rogue in the US has a 3 row version.
In Japan, Mazda CX-5 has also a 3 row version.

It is a good option for someone in the market for a mid-size crossover with 3 kids and their chairs but don't won't to go to the full-size option.
Rogue doesn't have a 3-row variant in the US anymore. I think they actually removed that option a couple years ago and now they aren't offering it with the new model. It was too small to be useful.

TripleT

Reaction score
One of the larger Citroen crossovers would be a good fit for the Chrysler brand. They should change the exterior styling to mainstream American tastes, retrofit the interiors in the same manner, and use domestic built engines and transmissions. By the time they are done, it wouldn't look like a Citroen.

I'm still waiting by the phone if the Stellantis senior management wants me to head the Chrysler brand.

For maybe 2 or 3 unit per dealer per month? If you want to keep your job as head of Chrysler you might want to back off your scope to a better ROI, you still have to get it certified and deal with importation issue. You have some US compatible drivetrains already in EU, the 2.OT with ZF, but then you got to pay for implementation of that in the EU. As for changing Carriers, implementing the design with new tools, new vendors in the USA for production here. For 2 to 3 per dealer. No way you get that signed off on.

I not giving you hard time, I just trying to show how difficult it is to do things that are assumed is easy. It complex and expensive. Just have the basic design is only the tip of the cost ice berg.

To me the better solution is import models from China and EU that already fit NA test... maybe the new DS model with minimal cost associated to a grill insert and labeling. Then only dealing with getting is certified.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Rogue doesn't have a 3-row variant in the US anymore. I think they actually removed that option a couple years ago and now they aren't offering it with the new model. It was too small to be useful.
Or maybe americans in general are too big? 😛
In Europe, the Rogue (Qashqai in this side of the pond) had a 7-seat version. Not sure about this one because I never cared much about Nissans.

Users who are viewing this thread