Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carlos has decided FIAT brand to become ALL EV by 2030

AlexB

Reaction score
Between 2025 and 2030, our product line-up will gradually become electric only. This will be a radical change for Fiat,” said Fiat boss Olivier François.

Fiat is the latest brand to commit to heavily or fully electifying its fleet in the wake of increasingly tough leglisation. Several countries, including the UK, have already committed to banning sales of virtually all new non-zero-emission cars from 2030 onwards, but Fiat's commitment to become electric only by that date will apply in countries where ICE sales are still allowed.
The move fits with Fiat's increased focus on city cars, led by the popularity of the 500. It also helps differentiate the brand from other mainstream marques in the Stellantis group, such as Vauxhall and Citroën.
Fiat has given no details of plans for future EVs beyond the new 500, but the brand says production will not be limited to city cars. In 2019, it unveiled the Centoventi Concept EV, which effectively previewed a next-generation Fiat Panda. While that car is likely to use the Fiat-developed small platform that underpins the new 500, it is likely the firm will also develop EVs on Stellantis's STLA platform, which is used by the Peugeot e208 and Vauxhall Corsa-e.

AlexB

Reaction score
@redriderbob
@Bili
It seems the role of FIAT brand in North America is “futuristic/EV brand”.
As I mention in the past that’s the role I would have picked the Chrysler brand for.

The way they mentioned “worldwide” has huge implications for Latin American business. Given those countries are even behind the U.S. in EV adoption/charging stations, that makes Jeep by default into Stellantis main brand Latin America…which goes ( @Bili )worries about Carlos with Latin America.

TripleT

Reaction score
Don't hold your breath.... EU first

TripleT

Reaction score
They say all sort of stuff, it is years away. Unless infrastructure worldwide makes massive progress between then and now it isn't happening.

Plus Pepe LeCheapskate might be replaced before then.

AlexB

Reaction score
They say all sort of stuff, it is years away. Unless infrastructure worldwide makes massive progress between then and now it isn't happening.

Plus Pepe LeCheapskate might be replaced before then.
I agree with you, especially (what I really point out) what a hell of a gamble it is with Company position in Latin America, even with a larger & more in-depth lineup for Jeep in Latin America.

TripleT

Reaction score
I agree with you, especially (what I really point out) what a hell of a gamble it is with Company position in Latin America, even with a larger & more in-depth lineup for Jeep in Latin America.
No way the Americas North and South Are ready by 2030, Brazil has Ethanol out the Wazoo, they aren't converting from that in 9 years. He is either wrong or his words are taken to broadly. Fiat has no presence in NA so that isn't a issue, I would suppose he considers LATAM Fiat as a different structural brand then EU Fiat.

AlexB

Reaction score
No way the Americas North and South Are ready by 2030, Brazil has Ethanol out the Wazoo, they aren't converting from that in 9 years. He is either wrong or his words are taken to broadly. Fiat has no presence in NA so that isn't a issue, I would suppose he considers LATAM Fiat as a different structural brand then EU Fiat.
FIAT brand not “Stellantis “.
That’s why LATAM strategy is soo important, if its like what he stated then Jeep becomes Stellantis’s Main Brand in Latin America while FIAT brand becomes pure electric.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Olivier Francois made a lot of false claims over the years. Why would this one be different?

I'm wondering why is he still at the company.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
FIAT brand not “Stellantis “.
That’s why LATAM strategy is soo important, if its like what he stated then Jeep becomes Stellantis’s Main Brand in Latin America while FIAT brand becomes pure electric.

Still no way. Brazilians will buy electric... Well, never.

Mopar392

Reaction score
The push for EV comes mainly from EU regulations and the US.

Other major markets like LATAM, China and Middle East are welcoming the EV but are not in a hurry for full transformation.

AlexB

Reaction score
Olivier Francois made a lot of false claims over the years. Why would this one be different?

I'm wondering why is he still at the company.
We will know on July 8th for sure (Electric Day) ! Not only will it be official coming directly from Carlos or John ‘s mouth, it would be an U.S. Financial Securities Statement which have legal implications.

Last edited:

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
@redriderbob
@Bili
It seems the role of FIAT brand in North America is “futuristic/EV brand”.
As I mention in the past that’s the role I would have picked the Chrysler brand for.

The way they mentioned “worldwide” has huge implications for Latin American business. Given those countries are even behind the U.S. in EV adoption/charging stations, that makes Jeep by default into Stellantis main brand Latin America…which goes ( @Bili )worries about Carlos with Latin America.

I doubt globally FIAT will be electrified. LATAM can't support it and it is the second biggest-selling region for the brand.

Chrysler's next BEV will be based on the GAC Aion LX and will be exclusive for China and should roll out next year.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I don't believe this will be worldwide. I can see it happening in Europe though.

TripleT

Reaction score
China has a big push because the government just decided, and they are making a huge push for infrastructure and have zero problems burning coal.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
China has a big push because the government just decided, and they are making a huge push for infrastructure and have zero problems burning coal.

That's because they have had no restrictions for emissions and now can't breathe because of all the smog. If they put in similar restrictions as the U.S. everything would be fine. When is the world going to stop putting China on a pedestal?

TripleT

Reaction score
IT WAY CLEANER then it was 2 decades ago when it wasn't just Coal fired power, individual home still used coal heater.

The comment was that they are a totalitarian, so they can just say... Electric Cars for everyone. They don't have to rely on the market.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Uuuuh, wasn't this about Fiat going electric?
What does China have to do with that? Fiat isn't even present in China.

TripleT

Reaction score
It was mentioned which markets that this would practically apply, China should be included because they also have a government mandate.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Battery electric powertrains make a lot of sense for city cars like the Fiat 500, commercial vehicles which engage in lot of stop and go situations, and vehicles operating in dense urban areas with supporting infrastructure.

It doesn't surprise me that a future Fiat for the EMEA region will be an EV.

Users who are viewing this thread