With its revised exterior and restyled interior layout, the 2022 Jeep® Compass (MP) has been on a high streak in 2022 with a boost in sales in the North American market. At the halfway point of the year for sales, the revised Compass saw a growth of 36% in the U.S. and 27% in Canada over the same time in 2021.
But even with handsome new looks, one thing has continuously been a let down since the current model’s launch in 2017: the 2.4-liter Tigershark inline-four-cylinder engine. As our Co-Editor, Jared Balfour recently explained in his review of the 2022 Compass Trailhawk, the Tigershark “just doesn’t have the power or refinement to compete in today’s market.”
But that is about to change in 2023, as Jeep will give the Compass the powertrain it truly deserves. Thanks to an updated 2023 fleet guide from FCA US, LLC, the 2023 model will receive the turbocharged 2.0-liter (GME-T4) inline-four cylinder engine. The GME-T4 is from the Stellantis Global Medium Engine family and features dual overhead cams (DOHC), direct injection (DI), and engine stop/start (ESS) technology.
The new engine should put the Compass on par with its new C-UV corporate siblings, the all-new Alfa Romeo Tonale and Dodge Hornet, as both of those models will be launched with the same motor. While horsepower ratings have not been released yet, the Tonale is rated at 256 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque, while the more performance-driven Hornet will be rated at least 265 horsepower but the same torque rating.
Both the Tonale and Hornet, come standard with all-wheel drive (AWD) for 2023, and the Compass will be no different from the popular C-segment offerings as it will ditch all of its front-wheel drive (FWD) offerings in favor of standard four-wheel drive (4×4).
But the biggest shocker we have learned from the fleet guide is that, unlike the Tonale or Hornet, is that the Compass will get a new 8-speed automatic transmission. Both the Tonale and Hornet feature a ZF-based 9-speed automatic built by Stellantis, however, unless the fleet guide has multiple misprints, the Compass will carry an 8-speed.
All 2023 Jeep Compass models will include the following equipment…
- 4×4 Drive System for All Models
- 2.0L I-4 DOHC Direct Injection (DI) Turbo Engine
- 8-Speed Automatic Transmission
- 17-Inch, 18-Inch, or 19-Inch Wheels
- LED Reflector Headlamps on All Models
- Uconnect® 5 with 10.1-inch Touchscreen Display (GPS Navigation – Available)
- SiriusXM GuardianTM Services including 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot, SOS Button, and One-Year Trial
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Hands-Free Phone and Audio
- High-Mounted Center Console with Increased Storage Space
- Two 4×4 Systems: Jeep Active Drive and Jeep Active Drive Low with Hill Descent Control
- Selec-Terrain® Traction Management System with Up To Five Modes
- Air-Bags – Seven Including Full-Length Side and Driver’s Knee Bolster
- Active Lane Management System
- Blind-Spot Monitoring (BSM) and Rear Cross-Path Detection System
- Drowsy-Driver Detection
- Full-Speed Forward Collision Warning with Active Braking
- ParkView® Rear Backup Camera
- Pedestrian/Cyclist Detection with Emergency Braking
Optional equipment includes…
- TomTom® Connected Traffic and Travel Services (Available)
- Dual-Pane Panoramic Power Sunroof (Available)
- LED Projector Headlamps, Fog Lamps, and Taillamps (Available)
- Hands-Free Power Liftgate with Foot-Activated Open ‘N Go (Available)
- Wireless Charging Pad (Available)
- 10.25-Inch, All-Digital, Full-Color Driver Information Display (Available)
- Heated Front Seats (Available)
- Ventilated Front Seats (Available)
- Universal Garage Door Opener (Available)
- Premium Alpine® Speaker System (Available)
- 360° Surround-View Camera System (Available)
- Highway Assist System (Available)
- Parallel/Perpendicular Park/Unpark Assist System (Available)
- ParkSense® Front/Rear Park Assist System (Available)
- Traffic Sign Recognition (Available)
The 2023 Jeep Compass will be available in five trims, which include Sport, Latitude, Latitude LUX, Trailhawk, and Limited.
Customers will also be able to choose from 7 different exterior colors, including Diamond Black, Granite Crystal, Sting-Gray, Billet Silver, Laser Blue, Redline, and Bright White.
While we aren’t sure when Jeep will announce its new 2023 Compass, Donlen fleet management confirms that the 2023 Jeep Compass will begin production at the Toluca Assembly Plant in Mexico on Monday, November 14th, 2022. Ordering is expected to start in October.