Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) is recalling certain 2022 Model Year Ram 1500 (DT), Ram 2500 (DJ), and Ram 3500 10K LB. Chassis Cab (DF) vehicles. for radio software which may prevent the rearview image from displaying. This leads to a failure to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 111, “Rear Visibility.”
The vehicle operator will notice that the rearview image is not displayed if attempting to reference the image while backing. If this warning is not heeded, backing without verifying it is safe to do so could lead to an increased risk of injury to people outside the vehicle.
According to the recall, 117,759 units are affected.
- 2022 Ram 1500 (DT) – (80,245 units) – The suspect period began on Friday, June 18th, 2021, when the first 2022MY vehicle was produced, and ended on Friday, June 3rd, 2022 when the assembly plant was no longer shipping non-compliant vehicles.
- 2022 Ram 2500 (DJ) – (37,441 units) – The suspect period began on Saturday, August 7th, 2021, when the first 2022MY vehicle was produced and ended on Friday, June 3rd, 2022 when the assembly plant was no longer shipping non-compliant vehicles.
- 2022 Ram 3500 10K LB. Chassis Cab (DF) – (73 units) – The suspect period began on Saturday, August 21st, 2021, when the first 2022MY vehicle was produced and ended on Friday, May 28th, 2022 when the assembly plant was no longer shipping non-compliant vehicles.
Recall Chronology :
- On November 5th, 2021, it was discovered at an FCA US LLC (“FCA US”) assembly plant that while shifting a truck into reverse the rear view image on the radio screen appeared blue with the text stating the camera system is unavailable.
- From November 2021, through January 2022, supplier testing was performed on vehicles in an attempt to
duplicate the issue. The issue was not able to be duplicated until bench testing confirmed the issue on January
- On January 26th, 2022, the FCA US Technical Safety and Regulatory Compliance (“TSRC”) organization opened a safety investigation based on engineering testing for a potential noncompliance with FMVSS No. 111 Rear
- In February 2022, FCA US Engineering performed comparison testing on Ram 2500 vehicles that have the
same camera and radio and was unable to duplicate the issue.
- From February 2022, through April 2022, FCA US TSRC reviewed vehicle records and met with FCA US
engineering to review the issue and understand the part design and change history.
- On May 11th, 2022, FCA US TSRC recognized that the backup camera may fail internally resulting in the
rearview camera image not displaying during a backing event, potentially not in compliance with FMVSS No.
- On June 2nd, 2022, FCA US determined, through the Vehicle Regulations Committee, to conduct a voluntary
safety recall of the affected vehicles.
Engineering change and vehicle production records were used to determine the suspect period. Vehicles not included in this recall are not equipped with the incompatible rearview camera and radio combination or were built after the suspect period. The recall only applies to the above vehicles equipped with an 8.4-inch Uconnect 5 radio (sales code UBD) and ParkView rear backup camera (sales code XAC).
Dealers will reprogram the radio software, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed on Friday, July 29th, 2022. Owners may contact FCA US, LLC customer service at 1-800-853-1403. FCA US, LLC’s number for this recall is Z47.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.