Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So does LB49 stand for 4 door Charger and LB29 stand for 2 door Charger or Challenger?

TripleT

Reaction score
Because those stamping floating around the internet sure are for a 2 door Charger and a ICE engine.

JohnRogers

Reaction score
I'm in the camp that believes the Charger remains a four door, since that experiment mostly worked, the two door remains Challenger because you don't leave the IP dormant anymore.

TripleT

Reaction score
You but those are definitely finished stampings.
391749700_708550221302563_10817495044982392_n.jpeg

Mopar392

Reaction score
How much a 67 Barracuda sidelines differ from these stampings??

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you haven't seen the concept in person, it's stunning. But these new images bring me back to 1998 when the design team was working on the Dodge Charger R/T Concept car, which was initially a two-door mockup.

attachment.php

There is it when they decided to add rear doors in the mockup...

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in the camp that believes the Charger remains a four door, since that experiment mostly worked, the two door remains Challenger because you don't leave the IP dormant anymore.

Why not make a two-door and four-door Charger and leave a smaller STLA Large vehicle as a Challenger??? Doesn't everyone complain about the current cars being too big? A slightly smaller coupe could offset it as a true Mustang competition car.

I took this picture of a design proposal for a Challenger in the Dodge design studio back in 2016 during a tour. Funny how much it looks like the new Banshee Concept...

20161015_105203-1-scaled.jpg

Here is a picture of the Banshee Concept I took at NAIAS...

IMG_6541-scaled.jpeg

TripleT

Reaction score
It would lose a bit of the Challenger.proportions being a shorter, such is the issue with a retro-design language. At some point it will have to be updated and then will lose a bit of identity both the 300 and PT cruiser suffered this fate.

I am ready for the new New as long as it is cool.

Moparound

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but am hoping there is both a four AND two door version Charger along with a Challenger. Gives folks options. Glad to see a transmission tunnel also. Lots of folks complain negatively and some complain constructively. Constructively: Hoping Dodge gets it right out of the gate(that’s asking a lot) but so want this program to succeed.
And, something I’d like to mention: Thank you to all the contributors and for this site.

AlexB

Reaction score
Mopar fans.... OMG the Charger is 17 years old, Nothing new in a Decade.... also Mopar fans.... OMG something NEW it will be horrible. :D :D :D
Then complain about price, then @redriderbob want to go to the toxic retirement package benefits of the past( which they shouldn't have got in the 1st place).

JohnRogers

Reaction score
Why not make a two-door and four-door Charger and leave a smaller STLA Large vehicle as a Challenger??? Doesn't everyone complain about the current cars being too big? A slightly smaller coupe could offset it as a true Mustang competition car.

I took this picture of a design proposal for a Challenger in the Dodge design studio back in 2016 during a tour. Funny how much it looks like the new Banshee Concept...

20161015_105203-1-scaled.jpg

Just my opinion, but am hoping there is both a four AND two door version Charger along with a Challenger. Gives folks options. Glad to see a transmission tunnel also. Lots of folks complain negatively and some complain constructively. Constructively: Hoping Dodge gets it right out of the gate(that’s asking a lot) but so want this program to succeed.
And, something I’d like to mention: Thank you to all the contributors and for this site.
If I ran Dodge there would be the large two and four door Charger, a smaller and lighter two door Challenger, a Miata fighter and a Hot Hatch. BEV, PHEV, V8, I6 and 4 cyclinder power. I'd hire you two guys and we'd all be out of a job in 24 months with Dodge in bankruptcy.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
If I ran Dodge there would be the large two and four door Charger, a smaller and lighter two door Challenger, a Miata fighter and a Hot Hatch. BEV, PHEV, V8, I6 and 4 cyclinder power. I'd hire you two guys and we'd all be out of a job in 24 months with Dodge in bankruptcy.

FCA US, had a Miata fighter, an actual Miata with the Fiat 124 Spider. The car would have made an excellent Dodge. I think the Italian brands (Alfa and Fiat) have failed miserably in North America and I laugh at how much the company waste to keep those two brands going here. They could have easily, badge-engineered those vehicles and supported the Chrysler and Dodge brands better, with additional low-volume products.

If I ran Dodge right now, here is what I would do. Return to the drawing board and forget about eliminating cars from the lineup, like FCA US did other than the L-series. Dodge needs a compact street sedan like the Neon and Neon SRT-4. Design a baby charger and fit it with a 1.3-liter turbo and the SRT with a 280-horsepower 2.0-liter turbo. The reason why the Chrysler 200 failed, was because FCA US put all of this engineering into the car, like AWD, and state-of-the-art autonomous parking and whatnot. But people who buy compact and midsize sedans, don't want fully loaded cars; they want something fun and reasonably priced. So, there are no fancy leather seats, no 900-watt sound system (a simple 500-watt one will do), and no need for a 14.3-inch screen and a passenger screen. Build a sharp-looking compact sedan, focus on build quality rather than NVH scores, and make it fun and affordable!

Next, the Hornet will not be successful in North America, unless it isn't built here in North America. I would reopen Belvidere to create the Hornet, next-gen Compass, and the new Rampage there. The Hornet isn't a bad vehicle, but due to where it is built, there won't be enough profit and availability to justify it past its MCA (mid-cycle action) or "refresh."

With the Durango, I would build it on the STLA Frame architecture like the Wagoneer. Make it a more budget-friendly alternative to the Wagoneer. But it doesn't offer nearly the luxury features as the Wagoneer; that way, if someone wants that, they can jump to a Wagoneer or Grand Wagoneer. Hurricane SO standard power, HO on upper-level models. A stripped-down SXT model would lack a third row and no panoramic sunroof; a standard one would be just fine. Dodge is about budget-based performance. If you build an SRT model, maybe some luxury touches, but it doesn't need premium touches.

A new STLA large crossover, with three-row capability, would also be added to Dodge. A sporty, but functional crossover, which would be a direct replacement to the volume seller Journey and leave off from the Durango that we know now. Hurricane4 and Hurricane6 power with edgy looks, 20-inch wheels standard, 22-inch wheels on more sporty models. Again nothing overboard with tech and luxury features, to rise up prices.

PHEV models would be great across the lineup, offering 25 to 35 miles of electric range for most everyday travels.

Instead of the Giulia, a two-door muscle coupe smaller than the Charger, to compete with the Mustang would also be on the list. 2.0-liter turbo power would be standard powertrain. Offer the car in both a coupe and convertible, but again focus on no premium luxury features. Make the car about performance. Luxury is a second though. Soft top only, no need for a hardtop converible.

TripleT

Reaction score
Like a lot of this but we are still denying the reality of the collapse of the Sedan market.

FIAT

only sell electrics let the 600 join the 500. Expand the dealer network to all CDJRs that are in good standing.

CHRYSLER

Pacifica, Airflow Stylish Wagon, and 300 Tesla S Competition. STLA large EV and PHEV

Tall Compact people mover Y competitor STLA Medium EV

DODGE

Compact Dodge SRT4 would be best as Hot hatch. TIPO wagon would be a good base, Hornet content is too much Alfa.

Durango on BOF,

Brampton makes Charger 2 and 4 door, Challenger Smaller, and Stealth/Magnum 3 row STLA Large.

ZF Hybrid transmission across the board with Hybrid and PHEV optioned ... only fleets or base vehicles without it.

Although you see me arguing against it because of $$$ and payback... I would imitate Ford and build a 4.0 range V8 turbo as halo engine. Just like Ford make it VERY EXPENSIVE and rare. Magazine cover car, when balancing performance versus dollars people will be plenty happy being within a few tenths at half the vehicle cost.

As for the contract.... CAW deal or bust.

RAM

1500, 1500 extended randge and EV

2500 and 3500

Dakota STLA Large

Rampage STLA Mid

JEEP

Recon STLA Large

Cherokee Replacement including Wagoneer version STLA Large (small shared with Challenger)

JGC expands with I6 and EV

Wrangler ..... more range on PHEV battery

Gladiator

Wagoneer line. PHEV and EV versions.

Shawn Fain is an idiot.... Ford people around here are nearly done with him. Once he idled the Ford Truck Plant the negation was over, he didn't use it as leverage he used it as a hammer, the deal after that will be less. Played his trump card poorly. No profit sharing and $500 a week will earn NO friend in the rank and file. Stellantis is smart to go last.

Users who are viewing this thread