Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Samsung SDI considering a $2.6 billion IL investments for Stellantis

AlexB

Reaction score
"We are competing for a major Samsung battery facility. The delegation came in from Korea this week. I spoke to them and others did as well," Durbin said. "This Samsung facility, we hope, will be located next door to Rivian. That decision has not been made. Having that battery facility will also create thousands of jobs."
The South Korean battery maker is considering investing at least 3 trillion won ($2.62 billion) to manufacture batteries for Stellantis and a minimum of 1 trillion won for batteries to Rivian, according to the source.”

“Samsung SDI officials have been making business trips to Detroit recently to discuss battery supply issues with Stellantis, a person with knowledge of the matter told Reuters.”

This would be in addition to the two battery plants being done in North America by ACC(Automotive Cells Company which is a JV by Legacy PSA in partnership Total energy company of France. ACC becomes 70% owned by Stellantis in 2025).

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Samsung SDI supplies batteries to the 500e. Glad to see them deepening their relationship with STLA.

cygnus

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they supply all the Jeep 4xe batteries as well.

STLA will need more batteries in the years to come for additional BEV/PHEV Jeep models, so Samsung building a dedicated plant for STLA makes sense. Was wondering when this would finally be announced publicly.

Last edited:

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
OP what % of your portfolio is Stellantis? 90, 100%? Lol had to say it

AlexB

Reaction score
OP what % of your portfolio is Stellantis? 90, 100%? Lol had to say it
FCA/Stellantis been an awesome investment (October 2014) for me let alone all of the Ferrari Spin off(sold Ferrari August 2019), Faurecia Spin off, Italian publishing cash distribution for Americans (GEDI), and Marelli sale & PSA Merger special dividends.

cygnus

Reaction score
Ah.

I'm pretty much sure that Pacifica, Compass and Renegade PHEV models have LG Chem batteries.

Going forward I think once all of these models get a full redesign, all BEV and PHEV in the US will be Samsung SDI.

It's probably why we aren't getting the Compass PHEV in the US - no LG Chem batteries are being packaged in the US. New PHEV/BEV Compass in calendar 2024 will use Samsung SDI.

AlexB

Reaction score
Going forward I think once all of these models get a full redesign, all BEV and PHEV in the US will be Samsung SDI.

It's probably why we aren't getting the Compass PHEV in the US - no LG Chem batteries are being packaged in the US. New PHEV/BEV Compass in calendar 2024 will use Samsung SDI.
Stellantis will have ACC (Legacy PSA-Total energy JV) which they will own 70% percent of in 2025 in addition to Samsung.
Stellantis did promise 2 battery plants in North America.

cygnus

Reaction score
Everything built in the US will have batteries sourced from Samsung - the European JV will not have batteries in any future North American PHEV/BEV vehicle, outside of the Dodge Hornet PHEV, which is built in Italy.

The factory after this Samsung SDI factory probably won't be in the cards until 2027...lot of time between now and then. The announcement about the 2nd battery factory in the US was way too premature/window dressing to try and move the stock price. Kind of like when they said Fiat was going all EV. Just certain executives running their mouths and spouting BS. My guess is that the 2nd battery plant will probably come later (2027) and will be in Mexico. Samsung SDI battery plant in Illinois will feed Wrangler/Gladiator/Wagoneer/Grand Cherokee 5 + 7 passenger/Ram 1500 BEV/PHEV offerings - the money makers.

The batteries in China will be sourced from CATL, probably. Foxconn doesn't actually produce batteries.

Europe has the largest (potential) battery needs. Like @Bili said, who is going to be able to afford these vehicles going forward? Fortunately the the US isn't as bad as Europe, hopefully with these higher gas prices in the US we have right now people are seeing (to steal a line) - 'elections have consequences'.

Oh, and for anyone in California - how much are you paying for electricity these days to charge your BEV? Everyone promoting full BEV there is getting everything they deserve, in spades.

Last edited:

AlexB

Reaction score
Everything built in the US will have batteries sourced from Samsung - the European JV will not have batteries in any future North American PHEV/BEV vehicle, outside of the Dodge Hornet PHEV, which is built in Italy.

The factory after this Samsung SDI factory probably won't be in the cards until 2027...lot of time between now and then. The announcement about the 2nd battery factory in the US was way too premature/window dressing to try and move the stock price. Kind of like when they said Fiat was going all EV. Just certain executives running their mouths and spouting BS. My guess is that the 2nd battery plant will probably come later (2027) and will be in Mexico. Samsung SDI battery plant in Illinois will feed Wrangler/Gladiator/Wagoneer/Grand Cherokee 5 + 7 passenger/Ram 1500 BEV/PHEV offerings - the money makers.

The batteries in China will be sourced from CATL, probably. Foxconn doesn't actually produce batteries.

Europe has the largest (potential) battery needs. Like @Bili said, who is going to be able to afford these vehicles going forward? Fortunately the the US isn't as bad as Europe, hopefully with these higher gas prices in the US we have right now people are seeing (to steal a line) - 'elections have consequences'.

Oh, and for anyone in California - how much are you paying for electricity these days to charge your BEV? Everyone promoting full BEV there is getting everything they deserve, in spades.
No the ACC JV is Legacy PSA, so they will Not be used in the Hornet(the timing doesn’t line up) .

Second, the reason for ACC creation was to create an French answer to CATL.

Third the announcement of two North American battery plants were done during the EV Day Presentation.

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
FCA/Stellantis been an awesome investment (October 2014) for me let alone all of the Ferrari Spin off(sold Ferrari August 2019), Faurecia Spin off, Italian publishing cash distribution for Americans (GEDI), and Marelli sale & PSA Merger special dividends.
I like their cars but never really their stock. I bought a bunch of Ford for $4.25 back in March 2020 and it has done well for me.

AlexB

Reaction score

Stellantis is in the process of building five gigafactories across North America and Europe to cater to the huge amount of battery demands the group requires, with its strategy estimating more than 260GWh is needed by 2030.”

cygnus

Reaction score
No the ACC JV is Legacy PSA, so they will Not be used in the Hornet(the timing doesn’t line up) .

Second, the reason for ACC creation was to create an French answer to CATL.

Third the announcement of two North American battery plants were done during the EV Day Presentati

I stand by what I said and none of the articles have refuted what I said. A US based Samsung SDI manufacturing facility will be the exclusive supplier of Stellantis vehicles (primary Jeep/Ram) manufactured in the United States. Rivian is not entirely credit worthy - Samsung will be using 'pay on delivery' purchase order terms with Rivian.

Samsung SDI will build as much supply as Stellantis needs.

I predict that the second battery facility will be built in Mexico, sometime between 2026-2030. TBD on whether it will be Samsung.

TripleT

Reaction score
Shipping batteries is costly, troublesome, and dangerous

If you ship more than 300lbs the hoops are incredible. So they need limit the potential energy shipped to minimum.

The only viable long term way to product EVs is with local battery production.

Note one of my product is approved for shipping battery's Passing UN testing in 3 continents

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Shipping batteries is costly, troublesome, and dangerous

If you ship more than 300lbs the hoops are incredible. So they need limit the potential energy shipped to minimum.

The only viable long term way to product EVs is with local battery production.

Note one of my product is approved for shipping battery's Passing UN testing in 3 continents
So local production instead of outsourcing everything into China? Awesome!!!

TripleT

Reaction score
So local production instead of outsourcing everything into China? Awesome!!!
You can't ship them from china assembled with drastic cost.... a Korean pack to ship the batteries for a domestic was $600 just for the packaging. It impractical.

Users who are viewing this thread