Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Renegade Name Will Return as Jeep®’s $25,000 Electric SUV

Renegade Name Will Return as Jeep®’s $25,000 Electric SUV​

A Bold Move to Capture the Affordable Electric Vehicle (EV) Market...​

1718287445933.png

In a significant announcement during Stellantis’ Investor Day 2024 at the Chrysler Technical Center in Auburn Hills, Michigan, Jeep® CEO Antonio Filosa unveiled plans for the return of the Renegade nameplate to the North American market. This time, the Renegade will make its comeback as an all-electric vehicle (BEV) with a starting price just under $25,000. This announcement comes on the heels of Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares’ earlier statement at a Bernstein investor conference, where he mentioned that a $25,000 Jeep BEV would be arriving in the U.S. “very soon.”

TripleT

Reaction score
If you're going to make any adoption progress this is where you have to be, Early adopters have already entered the market, you need to be where it is a true alternative to a used car, especially in the CARB states.

Hybrid maybe Eaxle for the rest of the country with a nice entry price.

patfromigh

Reaction score
If I lived in the Villages in Florida, I would buy one in a heartbeat. If I was a snowbird splitting my time between Frostbite Falls and a warmer climate, the next Renegade would be my dinghy.

Stellantis has this dirty little secret. The no longer talk about being all in on BEV outside of North America. In other markets they openly admit their platforms are multi-energy,

I hope to heck if Jeep offers a 4Xe hybrid version along the lines of the Avenger 4Xe hybrid, they don't saddle it with the 1.2 liter, Pure Tech three cylinder, with that wet-belt cam drive. That motor combined with the Punch transmission would destroy any chances of success for an ICE powered Renegade on our side of the pond and probably take down the EV version with it. Management needs to take the note of the 1.4 fire with a DDCT debacle from the last decade which instantly killed the reputations of the Dodge Dart and Fiat 500L. The current Jeep Renegade offers the 1.5 liter GSE with 7-speed mild hybrid power train for Europe, adding an e-axle to that for our market would work.

bill burke

Reaction score
If this is priced below $25,000.00 and has a hybrid option, it can be unquestionably a game changer. Disturbing in this chart is no new Cherokee. Let’s hope that’s the mainstream UV they site since that segment calls for the return of my beloved Cherokee. If not, it’s my current Cherokee long term.

TripleT

Reaction score
If you go Eaxle in all 4 corners Ice powerplant is less important

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
If this is priced below $25,000.00 and has a hybrid option, it can be unquestionably a game changer. Disturbing in this chart is no new Cherokee. Let’s hope that’s the mainstream UV they site since that segment calls for the return of my beloved Cherokee. If not, it’s my current Cherokee long term.

hint hint, it is.

TripleT

Reaction score
Love the style your AI image generator is coming up with, I know a few Spanish designers that should be sweeting ...

vbondjr1

Reaction score
Just take the Hornet RT powertrain and put it in this and drop the "only electric" option cars for goodness sakes! The Stellantis brand shoots itself in the foot every time it mentions something is going to be full electric, just stop! If it's not a promaster or minivan for fleet use services just end this full-EV push. It's not working in the USA! Hurricane Hybrids, 4Xe and things like that work alot better than trying to force this EV movement that the majority of car owners dont want. LET IT END!!!! Let it end.

TripleT

Reaction score
What do people not understand about heavy fines and flat mandates for 50% of the population?

Doesn’t matter what you think of even th market thinks it what HAS to be offered to be business. Quit complaining at the company for not abandoning half the US market it is tiresome.

Address it with the Bureaucracy

AlexB

Reaction score
What do people not understand about heavy fines and flat mandates for 50% of the population?

Doesn’t matter what you think of even th market thinks it what HAS to be offered to be business. Quit complaining at the company for not abandoning half the US market it is tiresome.

Especially Jeep brand (Northeast).

TripleT

Reaction score
Especially Jeep brand (Northeast).
And Northwest and not to mention the C in CARB….

I wish they would force it but it is what it is, and to me more options the better.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The Chevy Bolt sold fairly well, even in its last days after the dead robots in Chicago crashed the EV market. People will buy an affordable BEV for the situations where it makes sense, while apartment dwellers still remain the biggest challenge. The smaller battery pack of this type of vehicle allows for practical level 2 charging situations. Such a vehicle is totally inadequate for a cross country journey.

If it's not a promaster or minivan for fleet use services just end this full-EV push.
Free2Move is a business unit of Stellantis. If one pokes around the Free2Move website it doesn't take much imagination to see that an electric Renegade is a fleet vehicle. Daimler pioneered this with the Smart Car when they owned that brand. Just maybe Stellantis will come up with a solution for apartment dwellers and sub-prime buyers priced out of the market. It isn't any different to set up parking facilities for delivery vans with level 2 charging stations, than it is for rental cars mobility services using similar chargers. Even if Stellantis doesn't do it here, there is a certain global rental and fleet leasing giant that probably will.

My only wish is that we could get a Dodge Caliber out of this. Dodge would have to offer an EV version first for the net zero zealots, but an inexpensive mild hybrid version would be popular.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
What I don't understand about this whole thing is that Stellantis North America already has so many options when it comes to powertrains that would clearly allow them to stay compliant with hybrid setups that they could seriously fly under the radar without the whole full EV push and it would resolve alot of the issues that the company is facing right now with the backlash from their customers. Yeah they may never please everyone especially the V8 only crowd and we get that. But what it really comes down to is giving people the option to choose their powertrain and also bringing the right vehicles & powertrains to market the right way. The Hornet was the right vehicle with the wrong name under the wrong brand. That vehicle should have actually been the Renegade with the powertrains that it has and brought out on the STLA: Medium platform. It would have had a more positive reception and better feedback. I think Stellantis rushed a bit under pressure and tried to do to much and it backfired on them a bit but the saving grace was that their platforms are modular and can utilize multiple powertrains. For what it's worth right now, with Jeep really being the volume selling brand in North America since it has the largest portfolio of vehicles that range from first car type vehicles to luxury vehicles, all in the heart of the market being that they're all SUVs and Crossovers, Stellantis could easily rely on the STLA: Medium & Large platforms to make the bulk of their vehicles and the bulk of their money. What makes it cool is that every single vehicle could be a hybrid which would offer zero emissions driving modes that not only extend range but also reduce emissions and make them more compliant. Small Jeeps like the Compass and Renegade dont need more power than the Hornet R/T makes and with the cool and sporty push to pass features, Brembo brakes and all of that other stuff, you can have two small sporty jeeps and then make a trail-rated option and call it a day. STLA: Large could see the 2.0L 4Xe powertrain become the sole powertrain as it already beats a 5.7L Hemi in horsepower and torque and could potentially be even more with the ZF Gen-4 8-speed hybrid plug in transmission unit. A setup like that in the Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Wagoneer-S & the Recon would actually work quite well along with whatever platform the new Wrangler and Gladiator will be on. While that all works for those vehicles, the Wagoneer & Grand Wagoneer would benefit from the Hurricane SO & HO engines having the options of being mated to the new 8-speed hybrid transmission as well for reduced emissions but also the Ramcharger's Range extended EV powertrain with the 3.6L Generator on board with the EV motors front and back. This same thing goes for the Ram 1500 pickup trucks. That right there literally either electrifies every vehicle I've mentioned or at least has an electrified option but wont have everyone in an uproar. With the Chrysler brand in a spot where it's future is uncertain, as I've said before, If Stellantis wants to go after the big EV players (Tesla, Lucid, Rivian, Porsche, Mercedes, etc.) This would be the brand to do it with. A reinvention of the minivan with electric power and sleek modern designs would actually suit the Chrysler brand well and could even usher in a new standard for performance and luxury. Look at a modern minivan for what it is and it quickly becomes evident that a Minivan and a Telsa Model-S Plaid aren't shaped to dissimilarly from each other. Sleek, low and wide, it's just that a minivan is a bit taller. But take a minivan, give it a completely flat floor, widen it a bit, push the wheels as far out to the corners as possible and now you have more interior room along with a more stable platform. Give it a sleek design and then add the rear wing from the Wagoneer-S and an integrated R-Wing on the front like the EV Charger but actually make it the shape of the Chrysler badge with an illuminated outline so at night, everyone knows it's a Chrysler. Now add a luxurious, well appointed interior with ample cargo space, tons of safety and tech all built in like a giant roll cage. Have options for a 400V & 800V system and now you've got yourself a minivan. That can potentially dethrone an electric sportscar on the dragstrip while being safe enough to carry a family and all of their stuff to school and soccer practice. Bring back the Chrysler 300M, the Chrysler LHS, the Chrysler Concorde. bring those back as true Model-S Plaid and Lucid Air rivals, That is how you pay Homage to the legends of Mopar that aren't muscle cars and also giving purpose to your EVs.
Anyone who really knows Mopar history, knows that the Hemi name did not only apply to the Mighty 426ci V8. Not to mention that the Charger's of the glory days also came with a base 225ci Stlant-6 that was just as famous in it's own right as any of the V8 engines. Australian Mopars had the Hemi-6 engines which were I-6 performance engines that actually held their own against the V8 muscle cars in the land down under. While I'm quite sure Stellantis might not be keen on releasing a Hemi-265 (4.3L) twin turbo I-6, a Hemi-215 (3.5L) or Hemi-245 (4.0L) wouldn't be bad and a Hemi-215 (3.5L) would match the Ecoboost 3.5L in size and just imagine what it could do if the 3.0L Hurricane can produce 550hp/530lb-ft of torque. Take that and mate it to a Gen-4 Hybrid transmission and what kind of power could be had from this powertrain? Take any of the upcoming Dodge STLA: Large platform vehicles and give them a 2.0L Hybrid setup with the Gen-4 Hybrid plug in transmission as a base setup, move up to the two Hurricane powertrains with the same Hybrid setup and then have a top of the line Hemi-215 (3.5L I-6 TT hyrbid) setup and again, massive power with emissions free drive modes that keep stellantis from having to buy credits.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
What I don't understand about this whole thing is that Stellantis North America already has so many options when it comes to powertrains that would clearly allow them to stay compliant with hybrid setups that they could seriously fly under the radar without the whole full EV push and it would resolve alot of the issues that the company is facing right now with the backlash from their customers. Yeah they may never please everyone especially the V8 only crowd and we get that. But what it really comes down to is giving people the option to choose their powertrain and also bringing the right vehicles & powertrains to market the right way. The Hornet was the right vehicle with the wrong name under the wrong brand. That vehicle should have actually been the Renegade with the powertrains that it has and brought out on the STLA: Medium platform. It would have had a more positive reception and better feedback. I think Stellantis rushed a bit under pressure and tried to do to much and it backfired on them a bit but the saving grace was that their platforms are modular and can utilize multiple powertrains. For what it's worth right now, with Jeep really being the volume selling brand in North America since it has the largest portfolio of vehicles that range from first car type vehicles to luxury vehicles, all in the heart of the market being that they're all SUVs and Crossovers, Stellantis could easily rely on the STLA: Medium & Large platforms to make the bulk of their vehicles and the bulk of their money. What makes it cool is that every single vehicle could be a hybrid which would offer zero emissions driving modes that not only extend range but also reduce emissions and make them more compliant. Small Jeeps like the Compass and Renegade dont need more power than the Hornet R/T makes and with the cool and sporty push to pass features, Brembo brakes and all of that other stuff, you can have two small sporty jeeps and then make a trail-rated option and call it a day. STLA: Large could see the 2.0L 4Xe powertrain become the sole powertrain as it already beats a 5.7L Hemi in horsepower and torque and could potentially be even more with the ZF Gen-4 8-speed hybrid plug in transmission unit. A setup like that in the Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Wagoneer-S & the Recon would actually work quite well along with whatever platform the new Wrangler and Gladiator will be on. While that all works for those vehicles, the Wagoneer & Grand Wagoneer would benefit from the Hurricane SO & HO engines having the options of being mated to the new 8-speed hybrid transmission as well for reduced emissions but also the Ramcharger's Range extended EV powertrain with the 3.6L Generator on board with the EV motors front and back. This same thing goes for the Ram 1500 pickup trucks. That right there literally either electrifies every vehicle I've mentioned or at least has an electrified option but wont have everyone in an uproar. With the Chrysler brand in a spot where it's future is uncertain, as I've said before, If Stellantis wants to go after the big EV players (Tesla, Lucid, Rivian, Porsche, Mercedes, etc.) This would be the brand to do it with. A reinvention of the minivan with electric power and sleek modern designs would actually suit the Chrysler brand well and could even usher in a new standard for performance and luxury. Look at a modern minivan for what it is and it quickly becomes evident that a Minivan and a Telsa Model-S Plaid aren't shaped to dissimilarly from each other. Sleek, low and wide, it's just that a minivan is a bit taller. But take a minivan, give it a completely flat floor, widen it a bit, push the wheels as far out to the corners as possible and now you have more interior room along with a more stable platform. Give it a sleek design and then add the rear wing from the Wagoneer-S and an integrated R-Wing on the front like the EV Charger but actually make it the shape of the Chrysler badge with an illuminated outline so at night, everyone knows it's a Chrysler. Now add a luxurious, well appointed interior with ample cargo space, tons of safety and tech all built in like a giant roll cage. Have options for a 400V & 800V system and now you've got yourself a minivan. That can potentially dethrone an electric sportscar on the dragstrip while being safe enough to carry a family and all of their stuff to school and soccer practice. Bring back the Chrysler 300M, the Chrysler LHS, the Chrysler Concorde. bring those back as true Model-S Plaid and Lucid Air rivals, That is how you pay Homage to the legends of Mopar that aren't muscle cars and also giving purpose to your EVs.
Anyone who really knows Mopar history, knows that the Hemi name did not only apply to the Mighty 426ci V8. Not to mention that the Charger's of the glory days also came with a base 225ci Stlant-6 that was just as famous in it's own right as any of the V8 engines. Australian Mopars had the Hemi-6 engines which were I-6 performance engines that actually held their own against the V8 muscle cars in the land down under. While I'm quite sure Stellantis might not be keen on releasing a Hemi-265 (4.3L) twin turbo I-6, a Hemi-215 (3.5L) or Hemi-245 (4.0L) wouldn't be bad and a Hemi-215 (3.5L) would match the Ecoboost 3.5L in size and just imagine what it could do if the 3.0L Hurricane can produce 550hp/530lb-ft of torque. Take that and mate it to a Gen-4 Hybrid transmission and what kind of power could be had from this powertrain? Take any of the upcoming Dodge STLA: Large platform vehicles and give them a 2.0L Hybrid setup with the Gen-4 Hybrid plug in transmission as a base setup, move up to the two Hurricane powertrains with the same Hybrid setup and then have a top of the line Hemi-215 (3.5L I-6 TT hyrbid) setup and again, massive power with emissions free drive modes that keep stellantis from having to buy credits.

As I said in an other post, its all about perception. The management at Stellantis doesn't get it. All that have to do is say they are embracing all powertrain technologies and it will be a better situation for all involved. But their Dare Forward 2030 agenda, is always at the forefront. Must be in Tavares contract if he meets his goals he gets another $50 million. Ford CEO Jim Farley gets it. Here in Detroit, Ford has been pushing a new advertising campaign that is genius...

AlexB

Reaction score
As I said in an other post, its all about perception. The management at Stellantis doesn't get it. All that have to do is say they are embracing all powertrain technologies and it will be a better situation for all involved. But their Dare Forward 2030 agenda, is always at the forefront. Must be in Tavares contract if he meets his goals he gets another $50 million. Ford CEO Jim Farley gets it. Here in Detroit, Ford has been pushing a new advertising campaign that is genius...

Stellantis doesn't advertise "Stellantis".
They have something very similar for Jeep about all powertrain options.

bill burke

Reaction score

Admittedly I am not very informed on the specifics of government regulations on electric vehicles, but is not offering for sale something a goal and not a absolute mandate? I believe fleet sales might cover a lot of these mandates and then people can buy what they want. This administration has, I believe, already changed the mix on these rules. Hybrids, in my opinion will cover this issue of electric goals leaving folks like me to buy my gasoline power vehicle. Personally I believe these mandates will last only until the next election and if things play out as polls suggest, these rules will change again. If we as Americans believe in free market Capitalism and consumer choice, than our voting decisions on those making these rules will reflect those values. Electric vehicles have a place, and a market, but above all free choice reigns supreme. Biding my time on this issue seems sound at this point.

TripleT

Reaction score
New Sister was shown yesterday the new Panda..... Looks the part sort of a throwback to older Panda with modern face. Hope the Cherokee... I mean Renegade is a bit bigger with like the AI image throwback to XJ styling

bill burke

Reaction score
New Sister was shown yesterday the new Panda..... Looks the part sort of a throwback to older Panda with modern face. Hope the Cherokee... I mean Renegade is a bit bigger with like the AI image throwback to XJ styling
Right on again Triple, relying on your usual insights and info I looked up the new Panda and your right.
Noted the very “Jeepish” wheel flares and easily adoptable body lines (love the rear and taillights) that makes your prediction probably spot on. They call it Gran Panda and again you called it, looks like a slightly bigger Renegade is in the wings. I believe the new Cherokee will be larger too, but not an exact copy of the Wagoneer S styling, there must be more distinction between the two. Keep me in the loop TTT.

james.mooney.

Reaction score
Right on again Triple, relying on your usual insights and info I looked up the new Panda and your right.
Noted the very “Jeepish” wheel flares and easily adoptable body lines (love the rear and taillights) that makes your prediction probably spot on. They call it Gran Panda and again you called it, looks like a slightly bigger Renegade is in the wings. I believe the new Cherokee will be larger too, but not an exact copy of the Wagoneer S styling, there must be more distinction between the two. Keep me in the loop TTT.
future-jeep-ev--2021-stellantis-ev-day_100798988.jpg

This is from Stellantis' EV Day in 2021-- likely a representation of the next Cherokee. They had similar images of the Wagoneer S and Recon that were very close to how the actual models look.

Users who are viewing this thread