Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Chevrolet Tahoe Spied Riding On Independent Rear Suspension:

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
These spy shots catch the next-gen Chevrolet Tahoe testing for the first time, and the shots reveal the Bowtie evaluating an independent rear suspension on the big SUV. It would replace the existing solid axle.

next-gen-chevrolet-tahoe-spy-shots.jpg

Chevy's engineers keep this test mule under extensive body cladding and even cover part of the roof with a camouflage wrap. The development team can't completely conceal the rear end, though. The photo above shows the new multi-link suspension layout back there. The new layout should aid passenger comfort for anyone in the rear of the spacious SUV by largely isolating bumps to a single side of the vehicle.

Unfortunately, we have to speculate about other changes coming to the next-gen Tahoe. Expect the SUV to follow the 2019 Silverado by using a greater amount of aluminum to save weight similar to the pickup's 450-pound weight loss. They might share some engines, too, especially the 5.3- and 6.2-liter V8s. The truck's 3.0-liter inline six turbodiesel seems like an unlikely choice because its corporate sibling at Cadillac is already abandoning oil burners in North America in favor of electrification. Availability of the 310-hp, 2.7-liter four-cylinder turbocharged engine is a mystery, though. Expect at least some of the available powerplants to hook up to the company's 10-speed automatic gearbox but an eight-speed auto would probably come on lower trim models.

Given the immense amount of concealment on this Tahoe, don't look for a debut anytime this year. It would likely debut in 2019 and could be on sale for the 2020 model year. Depending on the launch timing, the SUV might be among the first non-Cadillac models to use the luxury brand's Super Cruise semi-autonomous, hands-free driving system. The tech starts trickling out to other General Motors' marques "after 2020," according to a recent announcement.

Source: Automedia

https://www.motor1.com/news/266802/next-chevrolet-tahoe-spy-shots/

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I see another ugly air vent on the fender, just like the Silverado.

Terrible choice.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
2018-Chevrolet-Cruze-Diesel-front-three-quarter-02.jpg

It looks to have the mirror in the body side (which everyone is slamming the Silverado and Sierra for) and it will probably have that stupid kink over the front fender like the Silverado. Thanks Cruze for that body line.... eerrrr.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
While obviously we can't see much, I do like the body shape a lot more than the current one. The current one is really square and looks like a hearse to me. I think this might not look terrible and from me that's saying a lot as I have no problem admitting that GM is the one brand that I do have a bias against.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
While obviously we can't see much, I do like the body shape a lot more than the current one. The current one is really square and looks like a hearse to me. I think this might not look terrible and from me that's saying a lot as I have no problem admitting that GM is the one brand that I do have a bias against.

The new GM Trucks having chasing them for awhile look better in person and better than the 2018 models, but aren't the best looking trucks.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
The new GM Trucks having chasing them for awhile look better in person and better than the 2018 models, but aren't the best looking trucks.

I still haven't seen a 2019 Silvy/Sierra in person but when I do see one at a local dealer I'll have to go check it out, even if not to see how laughably bad the interior is in person.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
I still haven't seen a 2019 Silvy/Sierra in person but when I do see one at a local dealer I'll have to go check it out, even if not to see how laughably bad the interior is in person.

Outside of them look good (minus the mirrors and the stupid air curtains on the Silverado). But the interior looks exactly like the outgoing one. You will think, wow the trucks got a new body. The interior dates the truck badly.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Outside of them look good (minus the mirrors and the stupid air curtains on the Silverado). But the interior looks exactly like the outgoing one. You will think, wow the trucks got a new body. The interior dates the truck badly.
Looks worse inside than the old one IMO, side by side. The old one had silver painted trim around the screen and the shape made the screen look larger. Now, the silver trim is replaced with black plastic and the screen looks much smaller than it is. Looks comparable to a 7" FCA screen, nowhere near the 12" screen.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks worse inside than the old one IMO, side by side. The old one had silver painted trim around the screen and the shape made the screen look larger. Now, the silver trim is replaced with black plastic and the screen looks much smaller than it is. Looks comparable to a 7" FCA screen, nowhere near the 12" screen.

I have to drive the current GM HDs at work and can't stand them. I think the interior on those is laughably bad but I agree based on pictures the new ones seem worse.

What I find funny is most of the people I work with aren't car guys but almost all are unanimous in saying that they hate the GM trucks that we have. Unfortunately we don't have any Rams but we do have 1 F150 which everyone tries to grab the keys for first. I can also say for a fact that yes heavy things if dropped will go through the aluminum bed of an F150.

A lot of guys I work with have trucks, and most of them are 2013+ Rams.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have to drive the current GM HDs at work and can't stand them. I think the interior on those is laughably bad but I agree based on pictures the new ones seem worse.

What I find funny is most of the people I work with aren't car guys but almost all are unanimous in saying that they hate the GM trucks that we have. Unfortunately we don't have any Rams but we do have 1 F150 which everyone tries to grab the keys for first. I can also say for a fact that yes heavy things if dropped will go through the aluminum bed of an F150.

A lot of guys I work with have trucks, and most of them are 2013+ Rams.
Their attempt at luxury with the High Country is just hilarious. The materials suck, though they did throw a lot of features at it.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Their attempt at luxury with the High Country is just hilarious. The materials suck, though they did throw a lot of features at it.

Still no adaptive cruise or pano roof though which Ford has had since 2015 and Ram got this year. I just do not understand the choices they make over there. They tried to pass the buck on their customers after being criticized for the interior saying that the customers liked the layout. Here's the funny thing, look at a DS and DT dash, the LAYOUT is almost the same, but the DT interior is a HUGE step up. Everytime I drive a DT all the controls are where I'm used to them being from my DS.

I agree on the materials as well, 2 years ago I had a friends 2016 High Country Silverado overnight at the same time I had my other friends 2016 F150 Lariat as I was detailing both. Between those 2 trucks and my "lowly" Sport, the Ram still had the best interior, F150 was a close second and the High Country which was the highest trim level truck out of the 3 had the worse interior materials by far. It was also the only one without push button start.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Still no adaptive cruise or pano roof though which Ford has had since 2015 and Ram got this year. I just do not understand the choices they make over there. They tried to pass the buck on their customers after being criticized for the interior saying that the customers liked the layout. Here's the funny thing, look at a DS and DT dash, the LAYOUT is almost the same, but the DT interior is a HUGE step up. Everytime I drive a DT all the controls are where I'm used to them being from my DS.

I agree on the materials as well, 2 years ago I had a friends 2016 High Country Silverado overnight at the same time I had my other friends 2016 F150 Lariat as I was detailing both. Between those 2 trucks and my "lowly" Sport, the Ram still had the best interior, F150 was a close second and the High Country which was the highest trim level truck out of the 3 had the worse interior materials by far. It was also the only one without push button start.
The way the roof is indented in the front and rear makes it look like there should be a normal-sized sunroof on models without one. But there isn't. Kind of a weird feeling. I like the way the bottom of the dash is shaped in the Chevy, as it somehow feels more car-like. But the seats are not comfortable - they feel flat compared to the Ram. Maybe I'm used to the (slightly) larger side bolsters in my Charger, but the Silverado felt like an old-fashioned bench seat.

Users who are viewing this thread