Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Opel Frontera Gives Us Hope About Next-Gen Jeep® Renegade

Opel has pulled back the covers on its new Frontera crossover, leading to speculation about whether it could pave the way for a future replacement of the Jeep® Renegade. Built on the Stellantis Common Modular Platform (CMP), the Frontera falls into the subcompact crossover category in the B-segment, much like the Renegade. However, what sets it apart is its potential for seven-passenger seating, a feature not currently offered by the Renegade. While this may sound promising, it’s essential to note that the Frontera’s compact size may limit the comfort of additional passengers, making it ideal for two adults and up … (read full article...)

OpelFrontera-3-scaled.jpeg

patfromigh

Reaction score
The new Frontera shares the Stellantis "smart car platform" with the Citroen E-C3, which is an evolved version of the CMP platform. (Based on what others are saying.) Which leads me to ask, isn't this the same size as the Jeep Avenger? The Jeep Patriot and Compas shared a platform while the present day Compass shares a different platform with the Renegade. Our next Compass will be built on the STLA Medium platform. If there is a new Renegade based upon the "smart" platform, I would hope Jeep would offer an e-axle like on the Avenger hybrid. While the Frontera and E-C3 are targeted towards affordability, I think a Jeep Renegade should offer the e-axle.

I like the smart phone station instead of another touchscreen on the base trim, physical controls for the HVAC, and the upright seating position. The Fiat 500e also offers such features, but Fiat's smart phone cradle didn't cross the pond.

Citroen, Opel and Vauxhall all will market an affordable model sharing this platform. I'm hoping we will see something similar.

TripleT

Reaction score
ECMP is the Avenger and would generally be considered to Small for American tastes. If they are going to go that small how about a True competitor to the Jimny for a Renegade. Small but true off road chops. Maybe even the Small Wrangler concepts that have been floating around even with a no cargo back seat.

bill burke

Reaction score
I would hope the Compass would take a step forward in technology and engineering, since it has established a solid following not only in North America, but globally. In my thinking the Renegade is redundant in the North American market and the entry level Jeep should be the Compass. The Compass basic architecture could lead to spin-off vehicles like a coupe/ hatchback from Dodge and a small sedan from Chrysler. Not sure if this is even a viable plan, what I am sure of is that the Compass is significant and the Renegade and the Avenger which should continue globally, but not both. Invest big in Compass.
As for Chrysler and Dodge they both need product desperately.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I would hope the Compass would take a step forward in technology and engineering, since it has established a solid following not only in North America, but globally. In my thinking the Renegade is redundant in the North American market and the entry level Jeep should be the Compass. The Compass basic architecture could lead to spin-off vehicles like a coupe/ hatchback from Dodge and a small sedan from Chrysler. Not sure if this is even a viable plan, what I am sure of is that the Compass is significant and the Renegade and the Avenger which should continue globally, but not both. Invest big in Compass.
As for Chrysler and Dodge they both need product desperately.
They are indeed investing big in the Compass. We are getting an all new Compass, I forget where in Canada the line is being built. We also know it will use a new (to us) engine from Dundee, MI which is now being retooled to build it. The IC engine built in Dundee will be a 1.6 liter four. There is also a 1.2 liter three cylinder version of this engine which is featured prominently in the latest Stellantis hybrids like this new Frontera. I don't know if they will also build the 1.2 in Dundee. So there is a lot of American investment for a Compass hybrid. Just don't be surprised if the battery electric version is introduced first to satisfy the green shirted thugs.

I haven't seen much about the rest of the details for the next Compass. Will it be square like the Patriot and the Renegade or continue to be a mini Grand Cherokee? If the Stellantis design team continues to go the latter direction that leaves room for and more affordable Renegade replacement below it. The three-row in this thread's leading illustration is pretty sizable for the B-segment. The extra seats aren't just simply an option on the Frontera, because on the introduction video the Opel head said the three row model would be a later introduction. Give us the larger size with two rows on a Renegade for North America.

No to a small sedan for Chrysler. Toyota and Honda have raised the bar too high to compete. Remember that Jeep Wagoneer S that is on the way? Here is my idea for a Chrysler version and offer it with an IC engine please.

A coupe/hatchback for Dodge raises an interesting point. Sergio and company placed a bet on the wrong horse when they moved into Auburn Hills. They invested in the Dart and killed the Caliber. The Dodge Caliber had its issues, but being a crossover wasn't one of them. I say give Dodge a proper crossover hatchback crossover updated for our times. Oh wait, Dodge already has the Hornet collecting dust on dealer's lots. I don't want the next Jeep Compass to be lonely on the production line. Build a Dodge Caliber/Hornet type hatch along side the Compass and make it more affordable. Imagine a Caliber SRT4 with today's engines and e-axles.

Users who are viewing this thread