What's new
Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here Is Why The Hellephant Motor Will NEVER Make It In A Mass Production Vehicle:

Here Is Why The Hellephant Motor Will NEVER Make It In A Mass Production Vehicle:
We Try To Put The Rumors To Rest...

Those YouTube channels don’t have any credibility anyway between regurgitating false information and erasing watermarks from renderings to make them look like their own...

Not every Mopar news outlet can be a winner, I guess. ;)

Well what the hey, why not stir the pot . . .

"With that being said, they [Prefix] do not have the volume to produce the engine block in the capacity required for such a production vehicle."
- FCA does and the specs can be implemented at FCA facilities.

"if FCA decides to build a 1,000 horsepower mass production engine, it would have to be a completely different engine to meet the harsh emission regulations put forth by various governments."
- Unless those emissions regulations were to change. Remember, the Demon was not released in Europe.
Oh, and of course, this:

Midterm Evaluation of Light-Duty Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards for Model Years 2022-2025 | US EPA (at https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emissions-vehicles-and-engines/midterm-evaluation-light-duty-vehicle-greenhouse-gas )

Mid-term Evaluation Final Determination

On April 2, 2018, the Administrator signed the Mid-term Evaluation Final Determination which finds that the model year 2022-2025 greenhouse gas standards are not appropriate in light of the record before EPA and, therefore, should be revised. The Federal Register Notice announcing the Administrator’s decision is available for review below.

Federal Register Notice: Mid-term Evaluation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards for Model Year 2022-2025 Light-duty Vehicles (PDF) (11 pp, 634 K, published April 13, 2018)

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2018-04-13/pdf/2018-07364.pdf

Prefix built the TRX (OK, contributed to it).
Prefix built the Hellephant.

Prefix built the TRX.

Prefix built the TRX.

Finkle IS Einhorn!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFhvobbKPEc

THE TRX IS COMING WITH A HELLEPHANT ENGINE IN IT!!!!!!!!

(sorry - couldn't resist; end sarcasm)

All kidding aside, I would be shocked (and delighted/enthused/ecstatic/crazed/deranged/fearful) to see a production vehicle with a street legal Hellephant engine in it. It would likely not be 1,000 horsepower as even with lax emissions regulations you still have production/warranty reliability concerns.

The Hellelphant, let me say that again, the Hellephant Mopar Crate Engine(R), will not be put into a production vehicle.
But the non-crate engine will?!?!?

(you gotta admit - you walked right into that one!)
Yes, we get it - no Hellephant in anything ever.

'Also, with the ongoing rumors that a 426 would be coming to production soon, I asked if the Hellephant could be adapted for street use and I was told “absolutely not”, so this seems to be strictly a crate engine . . .'

Fca was just slammed with a fine for not meeting mpg and that was after buying tax credits. It's pretty easy to see the direct they're gonna want to move unless they want fines year in and year out

Fca was just slammed with a fine for not meeting mpg and that was after buying tax credits. It's pretty easy to see the direct they're gonna want to move unless they want fines year in and year out
Two approaches:
  • Sell more low end cars
  • Lobby to end the silly fines

What did the federal government do with those fines? Plant $77 million worth of trees? CAFE needs an update (and is currently undergoing review).

Two approaches:
  • Sell more low end cars
  • Lobby to end the silly fines
What did the federal government do with those fines? Plant $77 million worth of trees? CAFE needs an update (and is currently undergoing review).
It's not really sell low end cars but sell more efficient cars. I mean lets be honest here, the 5.7 is one of the least efficient engines out there. It's down there with the non turbo 2.0 and 2.4. It will take time but they're slowly rolling out with better and more efficient engines

It's not really sell low end cars but sell more efficient cars. I mean lets be honest here, the 5.7 is one of the least efficient engines out there. It's down there with the non turbo 2.0 and 2.4. It will take time but they're slowly rolling out with better and more efficient engines
True in a sense. There is generally a correlation between horsepower and gas mileage. The 5.7 could be made a lot more efficient with forced induction. That would not increase gas mileage, but provide more horsepower for marginal increase in fuel consumption (reduction in gas mileage).

The "5.7 is one of the least efficient engines" is really a myth, per analysis of real world reporting on Fuelly.

For trucks, it lags the 6.2, 5.3, 5.0, and 3.5 EB by only 0.5-1 MPG or roughly 5-10%. The 6.2 requires premium. The 5.3 produces less power and is in a lighter truck. The gen 3 5.0 after getting port and direct fuel injection now produces similar power, but is also in a much lighter truck on average. Trucktrends 2018 PTOTY a Ram Harvest (3.92, 1" lift) returned better hwy FE than a F150 5.0 platinum. The 3.5 EB regularly will return less FE when towing.

For 3/4 ton, the Ram 6.4 and 5.7, Ford 6.2, and GM 6.0 are all right at or just under 12 MPG.

Flip over to the SUVs, and the hemi durango looks better than competition by similar margins, due to slightly smaller size and better aerodynamic than Tahoe and expedition.

Count me in the minority, but i really don't feel like the 5.7 hemi is lacking anything compared to the competitors engines in lighter trucks. Think of the money Ford and GM have thrown at going lightweight and 10 speed, yet all they have to show is 5-10% fuel economy improvement, cheap interiors, and lost comparisons.

Last edited:
The "5.7 is one of the least efficient engines" is really a myth, per analysis of real world reporting on Fuelly.

For trucks, it lags the 6.2, 5.3, 5.0, and 3.5 EB by only 0.5-1 MPG or roughly 5-10%. The 6.2 requires premium. The 5.3 produces less power and is in a lighter truck. The gen 3 5.0 after getting port and direct fuel injection now produces similar power, but is also in a much lighter truck on average. Trucktrends 2018 PTOTY a Ram Harvest (3.92, 1" lift) returned better hwy FE than a F150 5.0 platinum. The 3.5 EB regularly will return less FE when towing.

Flip over to the SUVs, and the hemi durango looks better than competition by similar margins, due to slightly smaller size and better aerodynamic than Tahoe and expedition.

Count me in the minority, but i really don't feel like the 5.7 hemi is lacking anything compared to the competitors engines in lighter trucks. Think of the money Ford and GM have thrown at going lightweight and 10 speed, yet all they have to show is 5-10% fuel economy improvement, cheap interiors, and lost comparisons.
In cars, at least, it seems to be at the end of its life. The 5.7 horsepower numbers should be easily achievable with an inline-6 and forced induction with better fuel economy. 300 HP 2.0L, 400 HP 3.0L, and 500 HP 6.4L seems like a good lineup of mainstream engines.

I wouldn't hold my breathe that a turbo I6 is going to achieve dramatically better fuel economy real world. Especially if tuned for higher performance than the current 5.7.

I know it may be nearing the end of its life, but it is not a poor performer. It is also practically the only mainstream V8 available in a sedan from the big 3...there is a lot to be said for that. And it will be a sad day when its gone.

Last edited:

For 3/4 ton, the Ram 6.4 and 5.7, Ford 6.2, and GM 6.0 are all right at or just under 12 MPG.

Agree to disagree but no one i know with the 5.7 in a ram has ever achieved what it has stated. Not an 04, 05,15, or 19 ram has beat or exceeded the mpg, with the 05 and 19 being ours.

Agree to disagree but no one i know with the 5.7 in a ram has ever achieved what it has stated. Not an 04, 05,15, or 19 ram has beat or exceeded the mpg, with the 05 and 19 being ours.

I am not using EPA figures as my guide. I am using fuelly, utilizing the average hand calculated MPG results of thousands of Ram, Ford, and GM vehicles driven over millions of miles.

My 04 returned 13.2 after 50k miles. Right in line with Fuelly suggested average.
My 15 is returning 15.1 after 5k miles. Also right in line with fuelly. I've never achieved over 17 on a trip, nor do i expect to in Iowa with 87 octane 10% ethanol, optioned out laramie and aired down tires, running with MDS off.

I strongly encourage everyone to use something like fuelly for a realistic expectation of what your vehicle will likely average in the real world. As always, your results will vary.

My 2008 Dodge, Ram, 2500, four door, 8 foot bed, with a roll cover, with a heavy assed liftgate, with an additional 800 pound load of tools and parts, with the 5.7 and the auto, got 12 miles per gallon.

It got 12 mpg going uphill, into wind, towing, on 88octane crappy ethanol gas in heavy traffic with four passengers, driving well above the speed limits.

It got 12 mpg going downhill, with a tailwind, not towing, just me in it, on the highway, with the good 92 Octane Phillips 66 non-ethanol from brand new tanks gasoline, driving the speed limits.

I considered that pretty good. Once I got 13 MPG, my boss was like wtf? How? I was like, Ibdint know.

I now drive a 2016 Chevy version of the same thing. Company car. It can get up to 24 mpg if I hyper mile, by virtue of a better transmission, slightly improved aero, and cylinder deactivation. If I obey speed limits I get combined 18mpg. If I drive 85mph on the highway (nobody around here drives less than 75 on the interstate, even the Walmart trucks) I get 14.5 mpg.

It’s not the engine that is the issue. The 5.7 is a fine engine. It’s all the accoutrements that surround it that need improvement.

A 5.7 with DI, grill shutters, cylinder deactivation, an 8 speed, and 48V hybrid, or even PHEV, would be the cats meow for guys like me. I would be getting into the 20’s in combined driving...

IN A SUPER LONG 2500 WHILE DRAGGING 1000 POUNDS EVERYWHERE I GO. That’s awesome!

I’d buy that.

(Not really, because Rams are way too expensive for fleet. Ram is too proud of them. Chevy and Ford are not all proud of what they sell. You can get those a ton cheaper for fleet.)

Last edited:
According to an industry guy that recently stopped into TEI was told by them that the hellephant easily made 1550hp during testing without issues, he also stated the process for manufacturing the block uses a lot of very cool state of the art tech, bronze lifter bushings etc.

According to an industry guy that recently stopped into TEI was told by them that the hellephant easily made 1550hp during testing without issues, he also stated the process for manufacturing the block uses a lot of very cool state of the art tech, bronze lifter bushings etc.
Any hints regarding the “industry guy”?
Also, what is “TEI”?

Sounds legit... some of the things on the Hellephant would have to be changed for it to run that kinda of power.

Back