Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dodge Charger Chief Engineer Discusses New Electric Daytona

The all-new, all-electric 2024 Dodge Charger Daytona coupe is almost here. Being the first battery-electric vehicle (BEV) from the Dodge brand, the Charger Daytona has a lot on riding it. Not only does it push the Charger nameplate into the future, but it also does so with a HEMI® V8 engine. The modern-day Charger has continued to have V8 power as a key part of its performance muscle car formula since 2005. However, this new one will launch exclusively with an electrified powertrain. This move has caused a lot of pushback from loyal Dodge fans. The Detroit Free Press sat … (read full article...)

Image 141.jpeg

scatpack_69

Reaction score
R&D went into a superior powerplant and it is launched. Usually we would be excited but since it they didn't call it Hemi and made a more powerful smoother configuration people can't move on to it.

Trump can’t do squat it is settled law. CARB states are allowed to set their own standards, he can only affect the federal standards.
Incorrect. There is nothing “superior” about the Hurricane. I know, I know, you will gladly chirp about whatever they cram down your throat and you’ll love it, but reality says otherwise. For someone to ignorantly claim a brand new engine is superior to a known entity is again, foolish. Oh it makes more power! Ok and? Oh it’s more efficient! Debatable. Oh it has lowere emissions! Woopty doo and questionable.

If you think all development for V8 has passed, and there is no way to improve, you merely cement most of our thoughts that you’re a fool. Ford and GM continue to develop, and Dodge may very well be forced by abysmal sales. We shall sit and watch, until then stop claiming something is superior when it absolutely 100% is unproven at this point.

And no, electric cars are not muscle cars.

noev4me

Reaction score
That is false comparison. Amazingly active brand new member.

It not only looks nice, across the board it will be Quicker than any Charger and Challenger ever built, and heavier. Each Level will be faster than the outgoing model ICE model.

Like I keep saying this is the only viable option to offer a "Muscle Car" in the 18 most populus states that are part of CARB. Should they really just go out of business to half the countries population.

AND NO.... NiceCar is not the definition of a Muscle car.... 1.4 mile cars were.

Dino didn't make oil or natural gas they are plentiful in other parts in our own solar system.

The Hurricane is incredible and will be a blast in the Free part of the Country at nearly 200 HP per liter and 300 hp per liter on the way, it is a worthy successor to the 3rd gen Hemi engines.

I hope a Shorter Challenger will be on the way. The 2 door Charger shares all the stamping with the 4 on the primary body, it is pretty good trick, but a Challenger should follow.
Hilarious! Born and raised in CA, drove many a muscle car growing up there. 'Tis a pity. Crazy Gavin ("charge your car, don't charge you car"), ridiculous politics and illogical laws and rules why I headed out, not CARB stuff. Great opportunities for companies making threat prevention solutions, however. Don't let your car out of your site, EV or ICE.

noev4me

Reaction score
Incorrect. There is nothing “superior” about the Hurricane. I know, I know, you will gladly chirp about whatever they cram down your throat and you’ll love it, but reality says otherwise. For someone to ignorantly claim a brand new engine is superior to a known entity is again, foolish. Oh it makes more power! Ok and? Oh it’s more efficient! Debatable. Oh it has lowere emissions! Woopty doo and questionable.

If you think all development for V8 has passed, and there is no way to improve, you merely cement most of our thoughts that you’re a fool. Ford and GM continue to develop, and Dodge may very well be forced by abysmal sales. We shall sit and watch, until then stop claiming something is superior when it absolutely 100% is unproven at this point.

Agreed = your last sentence. Law enforcement is a big market for FCA, right? I read about one law enforcement group (small town) buying EVs but probably for meter maids and the like. I can't see any highway patrol trusting an EV or even a hybrid when lives are on the line. They never shut off their engines when they're patrolling/working, right? I guess that's where that fake exhaust sound would come in handy = "Johnson, I think she's still runnin' but we should change out the endless loop of sound, add our own voices in there, just to be sure."

noev4me

Reaction score
That is false comparison. Amazingly active brand new member.

It not only looks nice, across the board it will be Quicker than any Charger and Challenger ever built, and heavier. Each Level will be faster than the outgoing model ICE model.

Like I keep saying this is the only viable option to offer a "Muscle Car" in the 18 most populus states that are part of CARB. Should they really just go out of business to half the countries population.

AND NO.... NiceCar is not the definition of a Muscle car.... 1.4 mile cars were.

Dino didn't make oil or natural gas they are plentiful in other parts in our own solar system.

The Hurricane is incredible and will be a blast in the Free part of the Country at nearly 200 HP per liter and 300 hp per liter on the way, it is a worthy successor to the 3rd gen Hemi engines.

I hope a Shorter Challenger will be on the way. The 2 door Charger shares all the stamping with the 4 on the primary body, it is pretty good trick, but a Challenger should follow.
I understand lots of peoples' hands are tied = Kuniskis, States, etc. And so many other factors, variables need to be considered in the equation, e.g., inflation, interest rates, etc. From what I understand this is an expensive car. It'll probably go down as an unfortunate period in automotive history but lessons will be learned and recovery will occur.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
Personally, I'm part of the camp that prefers the Hurricane powered "Six Pack" variant of the next-gen Charger, but I feel that the Daytona and the Banshee have their place. The styling isn't bad even though it's missing a few things here and there but overall the car looks good in pictures and hopefully it will look that much better in person and hopefully it will perform better than the previous variants. As I've said before, I don't understand not making these cars all hybrids with the new hybrid 8-speed Gen 4 transmission. Maybe it's just me, IDK but I see a huge benefit in adding the hybrid setup to the Hurricane powertrain along with having a base 2.0L Hybrid putting out 375hp/470lb-ft of torque like the Jeep 4Xe setup and then having the Hurricane Cat 1 (420hp) & Cat-2 (550hp) with hybrid systems behind them as well and then even a street version of the Cat-X powertrain with a hybrid setup. To me, that powertrain setup makes sense for every Dodge, Jeep or Ram on the STLA-Large platform while the 3.0L Hybrids make sense for the STLA-frame platform. Tons of power and torque, the entire lineup would now have zero-emissions driving modes and generally more acceptable than full on EVs for most people. To me, it would be the most logical and cost-efficient way to do things and it keeps just about everyone happy. Have a lot of Direct connection parts available for everything and Dodge will be fine. Just saying

TripleT

Reaction score
Personally, I'm part of the camp that prefers the Hurricane powered "Six Pack" variant of the next-gen Charger, but I feel that the Daytona and the Banshee have their place. The styling isn't bad even though it's missing a few things here and there but overall the car looks good in pictures and hopefully it will look that much better in person and hopefully it will perform better than the previous variants. As I've said before, I don't understand not making these cars all hybrids with the new hybrid 8-speed Gen 4 transmission. Maybe it's just me, IDK but I see a huge benefit in adding the hybrid setup to the Hurricane powertrain along with having a base 2.0L Hybrid putting out 375hp/470lb-ft of torque like the Jeep 4Xe setup and then having the Hurricane Cat 1 (420hp) & Cat-2 (550hp) with hybrid systems behind them as well and then even a street version of the Cat-X powertrain with a hybrid setup. To me, that powertrain setup makes sense for every Dodge, Jeep or Ram on the STLA-Large platform while the 3.0L Hybrids make sense for the STLA-frame platform. Tons of power and torque, the entire lineup would now have zero-emissions driving modes and generally more acceptable than full on EVs for most people. To me, it would be the most logical and cost-efficient way to do things and it keeps just about everyone happy. Have a lot of Direct connection parts available for everything and Dodge will be fine. Just saying
They haven't even lauched officially yet. I think that there is no doubt that the ZF hybrid system will eventually be part of the offering with the 2.0T.

Hoperfully CARB states will compromise and let this be enough avoid the punitive fines

James.A

Reaction score
DId we miss that she may have slipped... NEW Charger and Challenger.
I did notice that too... Here's hoping. As much as I've lamented to end of the HEMI and have some concerns with Hurricane's reliability, I have to agree with you on the statement that this is the only way thanks to gov interference - CARB in particular. With that said I wouldn't be opposed to a Daytona if not for all the miles I drive - I need range and quick refuels so its Sixpack for me.

ipa0628

Reaction score

There are only about 40 to 50,000 Hurricanes out running on the roads in the Wagoneers and GW. It has been less than 2 years in actual use. Proclaiming it is superior at this point is fantasy.

Users who are viewing this thread