Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AAA Survey: EV Interest Declines, Hybrids Gain Favor Among Americans

AAA Survey: EV Interest Declines, Hybrids Gain Favor Among Americans​

Is The Electric Vehicle Hype Over?​

1717918524888.png

The latest annual consumer survey by AAA sheds light on a notable trend: a decline in Americans’ interest in electric vehicles (EVs), with a corresponding shift towards hybrid options. According to the survey conducted from April 4-8, 2024, only 18% of U.S. adults were likely to buy a new or used EV, down from 23% last year. Moreover, 63% cited the unlikelihood of considering an EV for their next car purchase.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
We've seen some very good hybrids come out in the past few years.

I mean, who would think that automotive magazines, and people in general, would be gushing over a Prius, nevermind calling it attractive.

I have zero interest in a used EV.
I have very little interest in a new EV.
I would consider a PHEV only for the electric range and acceleration abilities, but the price penalty over a normal hybrid makes them difficult for me to justify.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I just couldn't keep up with the post-pandemic price increases on Stellantis products, that combined with the interest rates here in the US, made me get of Dodge (and Jeep). When I saw how little the price increases were for the new Prius was in 2023, I was interested. (The Prius has a different price structure in the US. There are some base trims offered.) There was a question if I would fit comfortably in the sleeker new generation. I went to the closest dealer to try one on. They laughed and said there is a waiting list, and like a farmers market, they are selling products off the back of the truck. The Prius Prime has an amazing trap speed at the end of the quarter mile, but I couldn't commit to getting on the waiting list with out first seeing if I fit in one. Soon after that videos were popping up on YouTube for a Prius in a box, the Corolla Cross Hybrid. We had a regular Corolla Cross in our fleet at work, so I new I would fit. There was a small window of opportunity to get on a waiting list, because the press introduction was a few weeks ahead of the start of production. I got on the waiting list with a significant financial commitment. Ironically, the next week we received a new Prius at work and I fit in fit nicely. In the process of getting on the waiting list for the CC hybrid, I learned the waiting list for a Prius Prime was much longer than the one I was on. The Prime wasn't available with AWD and lost an inch of ground clearance for the extra battery capacity. When I placed the order it was still during a very nasty winter. Six months later I received my Cross hybrid.

I was considering an EV, until the powers that be in my region of the state now ration health care to senior citizens. I have to drive out of town for medical services in a place known for arctic winter conditions. I'm very curious about the forthcoming cheap Jeep EV.

For a PHEV. I have already stated the decision process with the Prius Prime. The Jeep 4Xe Renegade and Compass models were never sold stateside. The Ford Escape hybrid is offered both as a PHEV or a regular hybrid. We had a few at work and they were much superior to the usual rental fleet queen 3 cylinder models. The Escape PHEV system used to be available on lower line trims, at least until Ford ran out of batteries. Today the PHEV Escape is an exclusive top line model out of my price range and front drive only.

I purchased a hybrid and had to learn a how to drive it. I also got my wish for an e-axle. Since then Toyota has introduced the Crown sedan and recently the 2025 Camry, both are hybrid only models. The Camry has a base price under 30 grand in the US. If I had the money would get the Crown. it has standard e-AWD. There also is a sport wagon version of the Crown that has just been introduced. The Toyota Crown series demonstrate what the Chrysler 300 should have become, instead of discontinued.

TripleT

Reaction score
The Lincoln killed the 300, I long lobbied for the 300 to become an Estate style Wagon. Musical Chair of leadership at that division. Both the Sedan and CUV were well into the Gate Process.

Users who are viewing this thread