What's new
Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This Isn't The First Charger To Feature A Performance I6 Engine

The Dodge Viper was undoubtedly one of America’s greatest performance cars. Going through five generations of the V-10 powered snake, Dodge hand-built Vipers for 25 model years, before calling it quits in 2017. To help close out the Viper’s historic life, Dodge//SRT released five exclusive limited-edition models for collectors. Among them was GTS-R Commemorative Edition … (read full article...)

Image 189.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I get it, on paper, but a turbocharged DOHC 5.6L "340" would have kept the momentum going and would have been pretty much limitless to how much power they could have made from it. Going from 392 / Hellcat to EV and I6 may be a bridge too far for Charger buyers

Hurricane has potential, and if Ram head of marketing hint is anything to go by, a more powerful version than 540/550 ho is coming.
But, they need to do different work on the front bumper and hood.

I agree with Mopar392 above about styling changes that need to be made to the ICE variant. It would have been cooler to see something more like the louvered '71 power dome hood or even the '70 Coronet super bee hood with the ram air center scooped hood or even a hood styled like the '73 road runner hood (or even options for all three from Direct Connection/Dodge). Personally, my biggest gripe in styling is the lack of door scallops like the '68-'70 Charger this car was designed after. Other than that, I have no real complaints about the car's appearance. As far as performance and powertrains, I don't think Dodge is really giving us the whole picture of what is really coming for the Charger. There is no mention of a SXT/GT trim level along with the fact that there is no mention of anything above the 550hp Hurricane H/O. As Mopar392 pointed out, Ram already let the cat out of the bag that something more potent is coming for the 3.0L Hurricane and Mopar also let us know that the Hurricane has a 1,000+hp rated Cat-X race engine in development so we know that there is more to this powertrain that what is being currently talked about. Figuring it this way, a 375hp 2.0L Hybrid setup from the 4Xe making 470lbs of torque would definitely make a great entry-level Charger GT slotting under the Standard output Hurricane powered Charger while offering a hybrid powertrain for zero-emissions driving. That car, with Direct Connection stage kits, and a few factory options would be an amazing base variant. The biggest thing for this car is to ensure that there are alot of performance enhancing options readily available for this to keep the moment of the Charger going. It's really going to be up to Direct Connection to have alot of factory-tuned emissions legal options for this car including Stage kits, exhaust systems, brake upgrades, suspension upgrades, wheel options, hoods, spoilers, interior upgrades, graphics, aero upgrades, etc. These options need to be available for everything from a base model GT all the way up to the top performer. Where Dodge truly misses out is the fact that most of their performance stuff was only geared to the Hellcats and not to the R/T or Scat pack cars. This also needs to be the case for the next-gen Durango on the STLA Large platform, the next gen STLA Large pickup (Dakota or Rampage) the Jeep 4Xe Wrangler/Gladiator and Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's cool that Dodge is changing up things and moving to more modern powertrains but they need to offer the performance across the board

The Dodge Viper was undoubtedly one of America’s greatest performance cars. Going through five generations of the V-10 powered snake, Dodge hand-built Vipers for 25 model years, before calling it quits in 2017. To help close out the Viper’s historic life, Dodge//SRT released five exclusive limited-edition models for collectors. Among them was GTS-R Commemorative Edition … (read full article...)

View attachment 9499
Wow, I wish that they could build the new Charger in RHD for Australia and New Zealand, now that would be awesome!

I don’t see any issues with the styling personally. The lack of food scallops? Well the previous car had those and nothing else that remotely resembled a Gen 2 Charger. Now the whole car does

The next level will have to be 750+

I love my Hemi, but I still am excited about the Hurricane. Related my history with a Turbo 4 Eagle Talon TSI/ AWD and it’s performance and exhaust note being very satisfying that bodes well for the different but exhilarating Hurricane.
Without doubt Dodge has spent far too much on the Daytona, when it’s obvious that clearly it’s the Hurricane that will make the new Charger a success or failure. It’s time to accept facts and get busy on the Six Pack.
Agree, there must be styling differences (like the front fascia opening pictured here and not elsewhere) if only decals, hood scoops, bumper treatments and ground effects, but distinctive enough for immediate recognition. I’d also op for a NHRA supported drag race program for the Hurricane. It must connect with hard core performance buyers.
Holding out hope for the Charger Six Pack and having even less confidence in the Daytona line, especially absent a hybrid option, in today’s collapsing EV market.

If they can build a block that can handle a 1500hp, then I'd expect this block to eventually makes it to production vehicles.

So where exactly are they going to put this new straight six engine, don’t tell me it’s going to be in the frunk, that’s a crazy word and a crazy place for an engine.

If the rumors from performance shops are true, that the Hurricane is breaking rods at about 600 HP, I'm guessing any of these rumored 700+ horsepower variants will have to be totally different internally. That sounds expensive.

If the rumors from performance shops are true, that the Hurricane is breaking rods at about 600 HP, I'm guessing any of these rumored 700+ horsepower variants will have to be totally different internally. That sounds expensive.
Can you be more specific because this is an Overhead Cam engine. If it's a valve rod there are all sorts of solution to that including ones for the proper HP application or manufacturing issue. They have some well above 700 in testing as well as a 1500 HP race engine. It doesn't sound expensive to use beefer valve rods.

I think he means the con-rods.
This rumor was shared by someone on this forum by screenshotting some statement from unknown forum and unknown member.

I think he means the con-rods.
This rumor was shared by someone on this forum by screenshotting some statement from unknown forum and unknown member.
Well that seems legit :D :D :D

Again, that is not a tough thing to upgrade. Yes, significant changes in HP would require a better connecting rod. That goes for any engine including the Hemi, if the head doesn't pop off first.

50% increase in HP your going the need to upgrade some stuff. What ever will they do????

Am I missing something here or are we just nit picking?

Some are setting the 2JZ and B58 as a benchmark.
These engines can take a 50% increase in power happily and they are many examples daily driven.

Some are setting the 2JZ and B58 as a benchmark.
These engines can take a 50% increase in power happily and they are many examples daily driven.
Welp if that is the feedback they could certainly upgrade them later, I suspect they will get better and improve the longer they are made. But certainly don't want extra weight and cost for this small number of tuners. Especially when they will want to sell upgraded versions. I know a few Hellcats and a Mustang or 2 that suffered from pulley changes. Boom ooops

Valve rod? What is that? Never seen someone that knows everything be soooo clueless.

There’s a pushrod. And a valve stem. But, no valve rod.

Connecting rods smart guy.

Back