Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upcoming Dodge Charger Daytona Will Feature A Functional Frunk

With the imminent end of the current generation Dodge Challenger (LA) and Charger (LD), enthusiasts eagerly await news about their anticipated replacement – the Charger (LB). The new electrified Charger Daytona has promised a fusion of innovation, performance, and design for the Dodge brand, notably featuring the patented R-Wing design, set to redefine the new … (read full article...)tempImagec2A7IL.png

1960D500

Reaction score
Man i sure hate that word Frunk, stop saying it, never heard anyone say Bunk for the back area

bill burke

Reaction score
I keep working hard to like the new Charger, but stories like this on a cute feature soccer moms might love, just makes it so hard. Muscle car people care more about wicked exhaust notes than a place to put groceries or soccer balls.
Dodge, please, this leak does not build interest, it destroys it. Really, a Frunk!
Lastly, is a Challenger coupe coming or is this Charger what we get?
Thank goodness I still have my loud rumble Challenger R/T to put my beer in a good old fashion trunk. That is spelled with a “T” gentlemen.

James.A

Reaction score
Very pleased to hear about the front end of the ICE model. Do we think the sedan will launch with the coupe?

vbondjr1

Reaction score
The word frunk is absolutely offensive, this word should be banned from the English language. Now that we have that out of the way, let's talk about this whole next gen charger thingy. I really wish Stellantis would understand that there are only about 15% of us who are Mopar fans that are even remotely interested in a BEV Charger so releasing info about passenger-forward cargo space truly is not appealing to the general masses. While we are interested in specs about the new car, what we really want to know is gasoline & or hybrid powertrain options, the horsepower specs of these powertrains, what kind of performance features the ICE and hybrid vehicles will have & what kind of packages will we get, direct connection upgrades, jailbreaks etc. Those kinds of things are what the 85% of us out here are really interested in. It's a decent looking vehicle but this EV nonsense is really hurting the car before it even comes out. I think at least 50% of us out here would be more excited to hear that there would be an affordable Charger GT model that would come with a 2.0L Hybrid system featuring the new Gen-4 ZF 8-speed transmission with a base horsepower of 395hp and 450lb-ft of torque and will have some SRT4 like options from Direct Connection and things like that. That the car would have different options such as a super track pack with actual handling upgrades, optional Brembo packaging for either 4 piston front or 6-piston front packages, torque vectoring and everything else. We'd be interested in knowing that a GT model car would come with an amazing AWD setup that was geared for performance driving and amazing handling. We'd be excited to hear that the 3.0L Hurricane will come in three flavors being R/T 420hp/486tq, Scat Pack 510hp/500tq, and SRT 550hp/531tq variants with upgrades from Direct Connection and other things. We'd be interesting in knowing that we're going to get a four-door coupe as well as the 2-door coupe. We'd be interested in hearing that there will be different Direct Connection Collaborations with certain aftermarket companies for the performance/styling upgrades. It's cool that Dodge is expanding into a new market and we understand (even if we don't all agree with) the reasoning behind it and I genuinely believe that deep down we are all hopeful for the continued success of the brand even in this new direction. But the fact is that the majority of us are still interested in the gas or even gas-hybrid performance variants of the next generation of Mopar performance vehicles.

Last edited:

cgseller

Reaction score
The word frunk is absolutely offensive, this word should be banned from the English language. Now that we have that out of the way, let's talk about this whole next gen charger thingy. I really wish Stellantis would understand that there are only about 15% of us who are Mopar fans that are even remotely interested in a BEV Charger so releasing info about passenger-forward cargo space truly is not appealing to the general masses. While we are interested in specs about the new car, what we really want to know is gasoline & or hybrid powertrain options, the horsepower specs of these powertrains, what kind of performance features the ICE and hybrid vehicles will have & what kind of packages will we get, direct connection upgrades, jailbreaks etc. Those kinds of things are what the 85% of us out here are really interested in. It's a decent looking vehicle but this EV nonsense is really hurting the car before it even comes out. I think at least 50% of us out here would be more excited to hear that there would be an affordable Charger GT model that would come with a 2.0L Hybrid system featuring the new Gen-4 ZF 8-speed transmission with a base horsepower of 395hp and 450lb-ft of torque and will have some SRT4 like options from Direct Connection and things like that. That the car would have different options such as a super track pack with actual handling upgrades, optional Brembo packaging for either 4 piston front or 6-piston front packages, torque vectoring and everything else. We'd be interested in knowing that a GT model car would come with an amazing AWD setup that was geared for performance driving and amazing handling. We'd be excited to hear that the 3.0L Hurricane will come in three flavors being R/T 420hp/486tq, Scat Pack 510hp/500tq, and SRT 550hp/531tq variants with upgrades from Direct Connection and other things. We'd be interesting in knowing that we're going to get a four-door coupe as well as the 2-door coupe. We'd be interested in hearing that there will be different Direct Connection Collaborations with certain aftermarket companies for the performance/styling upgrades. It's cool that Dodge is expanding into a new market and we understand (even if we don't all agree with) the reasoning behind it and I genuinely believe that deep down we are all hopeful for the continued success of the brand even in this new direction. But the fact is that the majority of us are still interested in the gas or even gas-hybrid performance variants of the next generation of Mopar performance vehicles.

cgseller

Reaction score
When storage compartments were in the front of a vehicle in the days past, what was the compartment called? Can we not just use that name still ?

TripleT

Reaction score
When storage compartments were in the front of a vehicle in the days past, what was the compartment called? Can we not just use that name still ?
How about bonnet?

Would a 3 cylinder hurricane connected to a generator fit?

vbondjr1

Reaction score
I want to touch on something I said in my comment about about a 4-cylinder hybrid GT trim level entry level model for the next Generation Dodge Charger. With most of us being partial to the sound of a V8 engine, there is still a potential way of getting that awesome sound without having 8-cylinders. Very different from what most owners of V6 cars that try to make their cars sound as close to a V8 as possible, there is a configuration of an inline-4 cylinder engine that actually produces that same type of sound that a V8 does. Although very rarely used in the automotive industry (although Fiat did use this type of I-4 in Brazil back in the 70's in the Fiat 147), the crossplane-crank variant of an inline-4 has a nearly identical sound to that of a pushrod V8 engine and they're known for being torquey. Currently used in motorcycles such as the Yamaha YZF-R1, they actually do sound pretty good. Dodge is not above making a fast 4-cylinder turbo car. It's last SRT-4 vehicle was a 285hp Dodge Caliber SRT4 with a 2.4L turbocharger 4-cylinder that while unpopular, was still a very powerful entry in the American 4-cylinder sport compact scene and really the only one to outdo the SRT4 Caliber was Ford with the 2.3L Turbo Focus RS. Now, the thought for me is this, take a 2.4L Turbocharged inline-4 cylinder engine, give it a cross-plane crankshaft, engineer the cylinder head-manifold to allow for separate exhaust pulses (meaning having separate tubing inside of the exhaust port that leads to the turbo) and have it mated to the hybrid ZF 8-speed Gen-4 transmission, give it all wheel drive and then you can have a powertrain that satisfies the people who can't get enough of that sound while still being emissions friendly with a small engine. With the engine making just under 300hp, that gives enough room for the electrified ZF Gen-4 to bridge the gap to make a 395hp with anywhere between 430-450lb-ft of torque which gives it a comfortable gap between it and the 420hp/468tq 3.0L Hurricane standard output powertrain, or Dodge can do what Ford did and have the smaller engine out torque some of it's larger counterparts and bring that torque number to 480hp, which is slightly more than what the 2.0L 4Xe has currently and would make sense with the size of the engine and configuration of the hybrid powertrain. Having this as a 2-door and 4-door coupe puts it in direct competition with the Ford Mustang but offering alot more than the Mustang by having AWD, more passenger and cargo space, more power and more factory backed options and a killer sound. Marketing this car with a laundry list of Direct connection upgrades like what the SRT4 Neon and SRT4 Caliber has such as the incredible stage kits and ACR packages, some GLH stuff, styling/Aero upgrades, etc. and now there's an entry level car that offers the best of all worlds because it brings customization back to the market and it allows Stellantis to increase profitability across the board. No borrowing emissions credits from Tesla, no EPA fines, customer interests, after-sale purchases, factory support, etc. It brings everything right to FCA's doorstep. It would be an absolute giant killer and would pay homage to the SRT4 days in a major way.

TripleT

Reaction score
People who only care about the exhaust note a posers, Viper sounded like a misfiring tractor and Cummins sounds like a wounded wolf but people still love them. Should they tone the exhaust note to sound good on performance models? Of Course... Alfa managed to make the Pentastar sound good and the Hurricane4 so it can be done.

But in the end it if your quick and fast. 74 smog motors sound great and make 125hp, if that is primary concern its pretty sad.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
People who only care about the exhaust note a posers, Viper sounded like a misfiring tractor and Cummins sounds like a wounded wolf but people still love them. Should they tone the exhaust note to sound good on performance models? Of Course... Alfa managed to make the Pentastar sound good and the Hurricane4 so it can be done.

But in the end it if your quick and fast. 74 smog motors sound great and make 125hp, if that is primary concern its pretty sad.
Sound is a big thing to most muscle car enthusiasts. it kind of goes hand in hand with the whole Muscle car thing. Yes power is key but sound is also a big part of it.

TripleT

Reaction score
Sound is a big thing to most muscle car enthusiasts. it kind of goes hand in hand with the whole Muscle car thing. Yes power is key but sound is also a big part of it.
Really?? Because the first thing people do to super tune a Hellcat is add Turbos. Turbos ruin the sound of any vehicle because are natural mufflers. Hellcat already has a whining sound with its Super charger.

If the burnouts and low throaty exhaust is all you got it is POSING sorry, it might hurt but that it, the criticism that it must be a V8 for the exhaust note it just get off my yard boomer Grumbling.

If you rather sound good than be fast it literally Posing.

Not to say they should Tune the exhaust on the Performance oriented models, but to say it must be a specific note, is off base.

James.A

Reaction score
Really?? Because the first thing people do to super tune a Hellcat is add Turbos. Turbos ruin the sound of any vehicle because are natural mufflers. Hellcat already has a whining sound with its Super charger.

If the burnouts and low throaty exhaust is all you got it is POSING sorry, it might hurt but that it, the criticism that it must be a V8 for the exhaust note it just get off my yard boomer Grumbling.

If you rather sound good than be fast it literally Posing.

Not to say they should Tune the exhaust on the Performance oriented models, but to say it must be a specific note, is off base.
Hemi V8's are fast - saying they are not is "off base". Anyone arguing that a few milliseconds of speed is what makes a muscle car is the poser my friend. I can tell you that R/T's didn't sell because they were the fastest - they sold for the driving experience - they are fun. Where is all this Hurricane power you speak of? What is your excuse for the embarrassment that was the Direct Connect Hurricane powered Challenger at Road Kill Nights? Where was all this power you speak of at that event? I can tell you where it was - in the Hemi powered cars!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread