Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CEO Discusses How The Stellantis Is Dealing With Issues Moving Towards Electrification

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

CEO Discusses How The Stellantis Is Dealing With Issues Moving Towards Electrification​

"In 10 years, the energy storage density in EV batteries will double," CEO states...​

1671489508848.png

The move towards electrification in the automotive industry remains a hot topic. Here in North America, most of the people we have talked to over the past year are skeptical about the transition. The ever-growing cost of purchasing a battery-electric vehicle (BEV), a lack of solid fast-charging infrastructure, long charging times, and lackluster range from most of the vehicles on the market today have been the focus of most of the concerns.

Mike201

Reaction score
This topic always makes me cringe. I don't think the majority want electric vehicles. I also don't think once we get past 50% of the vehicles on the road in the US, we will be able to handle the electric demand needed. The grid in the US can't handle heat waves that last more than 3 days, how will we handle this? The infer structure for electricity will never meet demand. This is coming, and it does not seem that the power companies are even working on expanding for this vehicle serge. Here in the N.E., Eversource can't even handle what we have now. They are pushing solar power on your house. Won't even touch demand. Now lets look at repair cost and disposal of used or damaged batteries. Where will the large batteries go? Land fills? We can't even throw out plastic bags with out it becoming a big deal, wait till batteries start going. The cost? Get into an accident and damage the battery. Will the car be totaled? Don't know at this point. How about vehicle fires? Fire departments CAN NOT put these out with water! Most FD's let them burn out on their own due to the chemical needed being to expensive and an environment problem. This whole thing seems like a disaster in the making. Charging stations need to added and actually work. Vehicles need to be able to go more than 300 miles before a charge. NBC news did a story last night, 12/19, on this subject. They took a Volt from LA to SD. Stopped at several charging stations and many were not working. Stopped at one, charged the car for 30 minutes and was able to only get 15 miles out of that 30 minute charge. Ridiculous!! I fill my Charger with gas when she is on "E" and it takes less than 6 minutes!!! You can keep your EV vehicles, I will drive my gas vehicles until there are no more on the road. At my age gas vehicles will out live me!!!

TripleT

Reaction score
This topic always makes me cringe. I don't think the majority want electric vehicles. I also don't think once we get past 50% of the vehicles on the road in the US, we will be able to handle the electric demand needed. The grid in the US can't handle heat waves that last more than 3 days, how will we handle this? The infer structure for electricity will never meet demand. This is coming, and it does not seem that the power companies are even working on expanding for this vehicle serge. Here in the N.E., Eversource can't even handle what we have now. They are pushing solar power on your house. Won't even touch demand. Now lets look at repair cost and disposal of used or damaged batteries. Where will the large batteries go? Land fills? We can't even throw out plastic bags with out it becoming a big deal, wait till batteries start going. The cost? Get into an accident and damage the battery. Will the car be totaled? Don't know at this point. How about vehicle fires? Fire departments CAN NOT put these out with water! Most FD's let them burn out on their own due to the chemical needed being to expensive and an environment problem. This whole thing seems like a disaster in the making. Charging stations need to added and actually work. Vehicles need to be able to go more than 300 miles before a charge. NBC news did a story last night, 12/19, on this subject. They took a Volt from LA to SD. Stopped at several charging stations and many were not working. Stopped at one, charged the car for 30 minutes and was able to only get 15 miles out of that 30 minute charge. Ridiculous!! I fill my Charger with gas when she is on "E" and it takes less than 6 minutes!!! You can keep your EV vehicles, I will drive my gas vehicles until there are no more on the road. At my age gas vehicles will out live me!!!

It doesn't matter if the majority of Car buyers want it, a majority of voters are voting for people who MANDATED it. It has been made a regulatory reality for nearly or actually Half the population. Your post is completely accurate, and the Regulators ignore it. Now many people put that up to incompetence, but I think as you see the ESG stuff that liquid fuel is not very easy to control, basically if everyone is switch to on demand fueling the switch can be shut off and on when the control structure wants, Just, like they are already doing to home Enviromental systems. It is a back doorway to control behavior.

For Auto OEMs it is a regulatory reality and making vehicles for half the population and a different vehicle for the other half becomes extremely complex as the powertrains requirements for space and manufacturing are drastically different.

So people need to stop laying this at the feet of the OEMs and look at your neighbors, who go behind the curtain and pull the lever for this which will be a mess.

Mike201

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if the majority of Car buyers want it, a majority of voters are voting for people who MANDATED it. It has been made a regulatory reality for nearly or actually Half the population. Your post is completely accurate, and the Regulators ignore it. Now many people put that up to incompetence, but I think as you see the ESG stuff that liquid fuel is not very easy to control, basically if everyone is switch to on demand fueling the switch can be shut off and on when the control structure wants, Just, like they are already doing to home Enviromental systems. It is a back doorway to control behavior.

For Auto OEMs it is a regulatory reality and making vehicles for half the population and a different vehicle for the other half becomes extremely complex as the powertrains requirements for space and manufacturing are drastically different.

So people need to stop laying this at the feet of the OEMs and look at your neighbors, who go behind the curtain and pull the lever for this which will be a mess.
I hear you and so much agree!!!! Thanks for you well said comments!!

JohnRogers

Reaction score

Now that the doom and gloom has been stated, accurately I'd say. It is not too late yet. First glimmer of hope, a large number of states almost automatically follow CARB of CA. That is not happening this time, too many governors and state legislatures recognize the issue of prematurely banning ICE vehicles. The majority of the public are not political, they don't pay much attention when things are happening around the margins. This subject is just heating up, the sheep will eventually wake up to the grid infrastructure problem. I expect to hear a lot about "the grid" during the 2024 horse race. Despite OE and progressive wishes EV dominance is still way over a decade away. Probably closer to 20 years without a massive invest in the electric grid system.

TripleT

Reaction score
Now that the doom and gloom has been stated, accurately I'd say. It is not too late yet. First glimmer of hope, a large number of states almost automatically follow CARB of CA. That is not happening this time, too many governors and state legislatures recognize the issue of prematurely banning ICE vehicles. The majority of the public are not political, they don't pay much attention when things are happening around the margins. This subject is just heating up, the sheep will eventually wake up to the grid infrastructure problem. I expect to hear a lot about "the grid" during the 2024 horse race. Despite OE and progressive wishes EV dominance is still way over a decade away. Probably closer to 20 years without a massive invest in the electric grid system.
I only wish this was true, but with NY following it will be over half the population, if and when the State of Chicago follows, it is well over half. Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont, and Washington are all on board. There is a good chance Virgina could withdrawal, I believe that is in the work but given the DC will remain that is the population center anyway.

Also don't look at just the hard requirement there are heavy tax de-incentives that will be levied nearly instantly, escalating to the point of the real date is 2028 not 2035. While ICE vehicles can be sold it will be cost prohibitive. We are on Model year 2024 as we speak 2028 need to be planned now.

Again, whether or not you are allowed private transport is the issue. Those in charge prefer you don't, you should be pushed to public transport. And if need be whether a crisis, or shortage, or simply a lack the social credit score, that with a switch they can restrict movement is a power too big to resist. It will take an amount of public awareness I just do not see our population capable of..... a lot of waking up will need to happen before the course is shifted and product planners that most plan 5 years out do not have the luxury of.

cygnus

Reaction score
there is this delusion that things are being mandated - it is just that, a delusion. There is no law in the US that OEMs need to cease ICE production by a certain date. Please stop peddling this lie.

Carbon Credits have been paid out before, and they can be paid out again. Just build it into the vehicle price.

JohnRogers

Reaction score
there is this delusion that things are being mandated - it is just that, a delusion. There is no law in the US that OEMs need to cease ICE production by a certain date. Please stop peddling this lie.

Carbon Credits have been paid out before, and they can be paid out again. Just build it into the vehicle price.
There may be no "law" but you do recognize the power of CARB mandates on the industry, no?

cygnus

Reaction score
We've gone over this at least ten times already. The product portfolio can support two different powertrains (forever) - ICE and BEV.

Stopping ICE powertrain development beyond the I6 is stupid. The ICE portfolio has earned the right (and has brought in ALL the profits) to have multiple powertrain programs, far into the future.

TripleT

Reaction score
Ahhh Delusion???? Law and Regulations have same outcome. Fact is half the population of United State where ICE vehicles will not be allowed to be sold, Unavaible for sale or registration. Between then and now there are progressive taxes that will make it impractical to be sold in that locations.

Of course, they can be produced and sold 46 states not part of that regulatory agreement. Not sure how anyone with thier head out of sand would miss these obvious realities.

This is not a carbon scheme its flat product ban, and as I continue to explain it has created a bind for OEM on which half of the population they focus and serve given the complexity differences between to two powertrain approaches. To produce the same vehicle in ICE and BEV in an effective and optimized way, which is mandatory to be competitive, they basically need two lines.

So, beside the inflammatory rhetoric to represent the regulatory realities as fictious it nothing more than ignorance or wishful thinking to portray that as anything but what OEM must tackle to stay in business even if they may be signing their ultimate death warrant. These individual state mandates have already been taken all the way to Supreme Court, the only way to do business is to comply or abandon that region. Half the US population live in those location, State Chicago join more than half, the only resolution is at the ballet box as the court has spoken.

Some people don't seem to grasp that explaining reality is NOT advocating for it. THIS REAL THIS IS WHAT they have to deal with, it is absolute Nightmare for OEMs, and what are they to do just shut the doors? Abandon half the population and most of the EU? The people writing these regulation are more than happy with those companies dying and people forced to public transport. MORE THAN HAPPy.

TripleT

Reaction score
There may be no "law" but you do recognize the power of CARB mandates on the industry, no?
Regulations not Laws, And Strawman Lie, who is this anyone on this Forum that has ever said that OEM cannot build ICE engines for states and world regions that they are not regulated or taxed out of exist?

Here is the Strawman.... He is delusional liar peddling fear. So, I can portray the OEM as some sort woke boggy man trying to force product people want down throats. If only Lee was still alive, he could slap wire wheels and a Landau roof on more under powered bricks and tell the EV states where they can stick their mandates.

cygnus

Reaction score
I think we're both saying the same things but with slightly different outcomes. There is a business case for US operations to continue with multiple ICE powertrain programs, along with EV development. The same is not true for Europe. But since this is a global automaker, the splitting of the platform vehicle offerings (across continents) is only for STLA Small and Medium, and those size vehicles sell in minuscule amount anyways in the US.

Current STLA leadership is guilty of limiting ICE powertrain development beyond the I6, and framing EV as the only way forward with this 'woe is us' nonsense.

So they're either -

1) Intentionally lying to appease toe a political line (shareholders would be annoyed with this) and/or goose existing sales by trying to scare ICE enthusiasts into buying the current ICE portfolio (which is way overpriced)
2) Stupid

Users who are viewing this thread