Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FIAT Will Introduce The 500e To The North American Market On Thursday!

FIAT Will Introduce The 500e To The North American Market On Thursday!​

Electric City Car Returns...​

1668473399808.png

Is the FIAT brand getting ready to launch the new 500e in the North American market? It appears so.

Fans have been puzzled as to why FIAT didn’t launch the new 500e in the North American market, soon after its European launch in 2020. The Italian has continued to struggle over the past decade after making its return to the North American market in 2010. However, since then has eliminated its entire lineup of vehicles except for the 500X, which shares much of its underpinnings with the rugged Jeep® Renegade.

bill burke

Reaction score
The Fiat brand is a successful brand in many parts of the world, dominant in some. There are few reasons why Fiat can not or should not be successful in the North American market. To accomplish that there is no better product and no better time to relaunch the brand here than this new 500 right now. Let’s be honest, they need to begin somewhere obviously.
The last Fiat launch, in spite of the incredibly amusing and witty commercials, was poorly planned and poorly executed. The original 500, was not only the wrong vehicle for the NA market at that time, but being launched with no supporting characters in a broader brand portfolio was just a major mistake. Fiat globally has so many excellent offerings, that together, could be the small,affordable, reliable brand that people here want. In spite of the close resemblance, this new 500 is completely redefined, more appealing and being all electric, spot on for today’s North American urban population. It needs company, it needs a clear, well defined segment and clear mission statement for consumers. However, most important, Fiat needs dealerships committed to implementing the plan and the Italian workers to deliver a reliable compact product line that underpins that plan and that puts that “Fix It Again Tony” legacy to rest once and for all. This new 500 must and can start that revival with clear focus and some company in showrooms. This 500 can be the urban electric like nothing else on the market, really. Move over Toyota, the Italians are returning in force. Good decision Fiat.

Last edited:

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Wow, awesome decision! I hope this is the start of bringing electrified Fiats to the US. Hope the Abarth version also goes to the US. :)
I think this model will be perfect for CARB markets.

patfromigh

Reaction score
OK, I admit I'm biased. I believe that the original California compliance Fiat 500e was the best of all the compliances offered last decade. Many will argue that the Tesla powered Toyota RAV4, the Chevy Spark with its Volt technology in the mix, or the VW E-Golf was better. Out of all of the compliance cars only FCA seems to have used the opportunity to use it as a research and development program. The new Fiat 500e is better in many ways while staying true to the original formula. Fiat addressed the weaknesses and built upon the strengths. The competitors have all introduced battery EVs which don't use the powertrain technology of the originals. Toyota's program has fluctuated since they fell out with Tesla. They haven't outsourced the engineering unlike some of the others.

RostHaus

Reaction score
OK, I admit I'm biased. I believe that the original California compliance Fiat 500e was the best of all the compliances offered last decade. Many will argue that the Tesla powered Toyota RAV4, the Chevy Spark with its Volt technology in the mix, or the VW E-Golf was better. Out of all of the compliance cars only FCA seems to have used the opportunity to use it as a research and development program. The new Fiat 500e is better in many ways while staying true to the original formula. Fiat addressed the weaknesses and built upon the strengths. The competitors have all introduced battery EVs which don't use the powertrain technology of the originals. Toyota's program has fluctuated since they fell out with Tesla. They haven't outsourced the engineering unlike some of the others.
Agree. The original 500e was my first EV, because they were insanely cheap coming off lease. It's lead to 2 more EVs being added. i3 and ipace. It's only 2 major faults in a modern EV market is it's range and lack of rapid charging. Other than that, it's a blast of a city car. I've told myself I'm keeping it until the abarth electric makes it to the states.

I think Fiat missed an opportunity to improve the original 500e over it's life cycle. They could have improved it like BMW did with the i3 or Nissan with the leaf. Which would have been easily done by Fiat because the same Samsung prismatic line of cells in the Fiat were also in the i3. Had the last couple of years 500e had say 150+mile range and a rapid charging, it would have been a great seller in the metro US.

TripleT

Reaction score
Good news to several people I know who were in the market for it. One just got a Job at Ford though so maybe one less sold.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Agree. The original 500e was my first EV, because they were insanely cheap coming off lease. It's lead to 2 more EVs being added. i3 and ipace. It's only 2 major faults in a modern EV market is it's range and lack of rapid charging. Other than that, it's a blast of a city car. I've told myself I'm keeping it until the abarth electric makes it to the states.

I think Fiat missed an opportunity to improve the original 500e over it's life cycle. They could have improved it like BMW did with the i3 or Nissan with the leaf. Which would have been easily done by Fiat because the same Samsung prismatic line of cells in the Fiat were also in the i3. Had the last couple of years 500e had say 150+mile range and a rapid charging, it would have been a great seller in the metro US.
Now lets just see if they don't shoot themselves in the foot with dumb decisions as is tradition...

geemy

Reaction score
Wow, awesome decision! I hope this is the start of bringing electrified Fiats to the US. Hope the Abarth version also goes to the US. :)
I think this model will be perfect for CARB markets.
This is Christmas in November! on the same week, fiat announces the return of the electric 500 you the US AND the new electric Abarth. I don't see how could fiat NOT bring the abarth too, knowing Americans buy more performance versions than anywhere in the world. fiat sold a lot of 500 Abarth here. I hope the Abarth gets AWD too, or at least they find clever way to put the power down to those front wheels like a civic tyoe-r for instance..looking for the price though, which needs to be competitive with the mini Cooper SE but I guess more range means probably more expensive (for the Abarth version)

geemy

Reaction score

electric Abarth announced next Tuesday. I'm pretty sure both will hit the us at the same time

geemy

Reaction score
probably better in every way but I doubt they will offer it with $99 lease or that they will sell under 10k used. big part of the appeal for me was getting a cheap second car, save on gas/emissions, make my daily drive more fun. long range and quick charging won't really make it more useful for me. I hope they offer the abarth in lighter/cheaper short range versionI don't think the battery is what limits the power in the short range version since the 500enwas way more powerful with same battery size, it's probably to save range and to differentiate the trims.

pumadog

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they just waited for the Abarth to get ready.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
So only available in the US in 2024. Ridiculous, why make an event then?

TripleT

Reaction score
Isn't that just 9 months.... was it 24' model year or 24' Calendar year

patfromigh

Reaction score
Will there be way to turn off the virtue signalling like we can turn off traction control? I noticed Frostbite Falls wasn't one of the target areas on the map. There are some previous generation Fiat 500e models running around town here.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

FIAT Makes It Official, The 500e Will Return In 2024 To North America!​

Brings The Original Three One-Offs To The LA Auto Show...​

1668726227054.png

After waiting for two and half years, FIAT CEO & Stellantis CMO, Olivier Francois officially announced plans to plans to bring the all-electric third-generation Fiat 500e to North America. The move spearheads the Italian brand’s electrification strategy as the new 500e is scheduled to start arriving in the U.S. market in Q1 2024.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I was all excited about one if the trim options until I realized it was Kartell and not K-Tel.

On a more serious note, Fiat is really sticking there neck out because the charging infrastructure is sparse in many areas of the country. High speed charging in 35 minutes is great, but a two hour wait in line to do that isn't. Those with a garage can install a level 2 charger and do OK, but it will be dicey for apartment dwellers.

Last edited:

JasonB

Reaction score
I was all excited about one if the trim options until I realized it was Kartell and not K-Tel.

On a more serious note, Fiat is really sticking there neck out because the charging infrastructure is sparse in many areas of the country. High speed charging in 35 minutes is great, but a two hour wait in line to do that isn't. Those with a garage can install a level 2 charger and do OK, but it will be dicey for apartment dwellers.
solution:
France to require all large car parks to be covered by solar panels.

All large car parks in France will be covered by solar panels under new legislation approved as part of president Emmanuel Macron’s renewable energy drive.

Legislation approved by the French Senate this week requires existing and new car parks with space for at least 80 vehicles to be covered by solar panels.

The owners of car parks with between 80 and 400 spaces have five years to comply with the measures, while operators of those with more than 400 will have just three years. At least half of the area of the larger sites must be covered by solar panels.

Link to full article.

JasonB

Reaction score
and another one:
STELLANTIS PRESS RELEASE:

(Carrefour is the Walmart of France and Italy)
“Shop & Charge”: a “refill of benefits” is coming for New 500 customers at Carrefour retail outlets

• A one-off in Italy, the project kicks off, promoted by Fiat, Carrefour and Be Charge, and featuring the full-electric New Fiat 500.
  • The scheme involves the gradual installation of electric charging points at 135 Carrefour retail outlets in Italy, the first 60 of which are already operational.
  • For New 500 customers: charging at discounted rates and exclusive benefits when buying Carrefour-branded organic products and sustainably produced food.
  • Expected to be involved is the Fiat sales network, due to organize test drives and product placement at Carrefour retail outlets in Italy taking part in the initiative, which will take on a New 500 theme for the scheme.
4aa196fcf42dff1e9261f94566971a7b922a3b37.jpeg

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I wish the Carrefour near my house did the same in Brussels.
There's another supermarket chain that offers this already, but the more the merrier.
And again, this event was to announce that they will announce the Fiat 500e for the US in one year. Ridiculous. Why even bother?

TripleT

Reaction score

There is no neck sticking, its simply Mandated in more places than one can imagine, half the US population will be under a mandate in the next 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread