Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Dodge Missing Out Moving Away From The Traditional V8 Muscle Car?

Is Dodge Missing Out Moving Away From The Traditional V8 Muscle Car?​

Ford Continues With V8, Will It Take Dodge Fan With It?​

1666637538439.png

A month ago at the Detroit Auto Show, Ford Motor Company (FoMoCo) unveiled its seventh-generation Ford Mustang (S650) lineup. To much surprise, Ford ditched its original plans of offering all-wheel-drive (AWD) and hybrid technology, in favor of the traditional rear-wheel-drive (RWD), V8 muscle car formula. And without a single production unit rolling off of the Flat Rock Assembly Plant line yet, FoMoCo has not only created a ton of buzz for its upcoming model with Dodge clearly in its crosshairs.

Mopar392

Reaction score
It’ll be interesting to see what the market is going to prove in the first couple of years, of when it goes on sale.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
As with anything in life, change is going to bring exactly that. You may loose a few Die Hard V8 fans, but not necessarily the entire Dodge fanbase. There have been several moments in history where only one of the brands had V8 performance offerings and for a long time, Dodge did not have a performance V8 offering and still had exciting offerings in the market. I still remember the SRT4 cars, which were nasty performance vehicles for their time. I really feel like this new Hurricane-6 is going to continue on from the roots of where SRT started. Anyone who knows performance knows that turbo cars make alot of power and torque when modified. Think of the 2JZ-GTE, the RB26DETT or even the S55 engine in the M82 BMW M3. Figuring with Direct Connection involved there are going to be factory backed stage kits similar to what Dodge did with the SRT4. I think this and the new car are going to add more enthusiasts to the brand.

bill burke

Reaction score
Dodge first off might not have abandoned V-8 power, but it was not their decision, it was Stellantis that made that decision. I believe Stellantis has bought into the green movement’s hysteria and that will be regretted if the current thinking prevails. Tragic thinking in my opinion.
What can one say, Dodge has little choice as “Eurothink” once again just does not get “Americathink”. Nothing new there, it’s just a diffent culture, set of experiences and corporate calls the shots. Dodge is doing the best they can, Tim has been given marching orders and is selling a pig in a poke with a forced smile and feel good talking points that keep those paychecks coming, who can blame him? I’d do exactly the same thing.
For me, my Hemi is going nowhere but I’ll give the new stuff a chance, probably a big chance because I love Dodge and like everyone else rooting for Dodge, as Caesar once said when crossing the Rubicon , “the dye is cast.”

Crocodile

Reaction score
I for one am tired of the perpetual moaning and groaning about the demise of V8 engines when Stellantis are funding development of vehicles that are relevant to 21st century motoring. Things like I6 engines that are more powerful, more economical and produce less CO2 than V8s, and interesting new segment entrants like the Hornet.

Get over it, and enjoy what is about to be unleashed by Stellantis.

Shmigga

Reaction score
I give dodge about another 2-3 years before the brand is axed or sold off. Their customer base doesn't want a modern 67 charger that sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I for one will never own an EV and if that's they way they are going, they are dead to me. Most of the people online that currently own a Dodge V8 feel the same. I'm not talking about 10 year old keyboard warriors. They are fools to think that everyone is just gonna go all in to electrification especially with the many downfalls.

jeepmynach

Reaction score
The new I6 engines will no doubt satisfy all the petrolheads with their performance and it is really a matter of time before US legislation mandates PHEV/ HEV /BEV vehicles in certain locations. I am no fan of electrification but I have resigned myself to the fact that EV's will be the future of personal motoring in Europe, certainly for the forseeable future

Ron E

Reaction score
So, exactly why is it V8 or 6cyl but not both? The V8's are already tooled up, refined and hugely popular. None of that prevents the 6cyl from joining in. What's wrong with being able to choose.? The electrics "should" have a bright future as hybrids to boost the IC's output when needed (or more likely just wanted). A stand-alone electric is a losing hand as long as there isn't infrastructure to guarantee charging as effortlessly as gassing up your current vehicle. We can't just wish and make it so like the California politicians seem to believe. Not to mention there remains a long list of environmental issues in meeting the materials needed for large-scale battery production. And there are problems with becoming dependent on countries in a whole new way for much of what is needed for EV's. Ask Germany how that's working out for them.

TripleT

Reaction score
So, exactly why is it V8 or 6cyl but not both? The V8's are already tooled up, refined and hugely popular. None of that prevents the 6cyl from joining in. What's wrong with being able to choose.? The electrics "should" have a bright future as hybrids to boost the IC's output when needed (or more likely just wanted). A stand-alone electric is a losing hand as long as there isn't infrastructure to guarantee charging as effortlessly as gassing up your current vehicle. We can't just wish and make it so like the California politicians seem to believe. Not to mention there remains a long list of environmental issues in meeting the materials needed for large-scale battery production. And there are problems with becoming dependent on countries in a whole new way for much of what is needed for EV's. Ask Germany how that's working out for them.
The V8 Capacity is taken up by the new inline 6, they have issues with compliance moving forward, and the Hellcat flat isn't in compliance I think by 2024.

Plus, it would be hard sell - slower, more expensive, heavier, less efficient, thirstier, less tuning room.... the only plus is exhaust note and to say V8..... its not like you can't tune a turbo six to sound good it just won't be as loud or throaty because a turbo is a natural muffler.

Any V8 would have to come from somewhere else in the corporate family or be ground up. Nothing would stop them in the future to hand build low volume V8s for special SRT versions. But right now it is a hell of lot easier to go fast with EVs it becomes a diminishing return, especially with how much room I understand the 3 liter has and basically traction is the limit on an EV.

As for the politicians and EV mandates.... They are perfectly happy if you can't charge your car and have to take public transport. "You will own nothing and love it."

I am in love with my 392, but I am not paying more to go slower just to have one. The Hemi sort of becomes like the pentastar, Great engine for the time but just old now, I'll take the 2.0 over it all day.

Mopar392

Reaction score
There is still room to update the natural aspirated V8 HEMI. Mopar had experimented with 3-valves pushrod HEMI and building a DOHC Big Block 426 back in the 60's-70's. Imagine using that with the modern knowledge and engineering. There is also the light weight material like aluminum and compacted graphite.
The supercharged HELLCAT can be turned into a twin turbo, and even reduced in size. See the performance and efficiency numbers achieved by the Germans, BMW and VAG.

I'm not saying the Twin-Turbo Inline-6 is an improvement and step forward. I'm just not agreeing that this is the end of the road for the V8 development and improvement.

TripleT

Reaction score
OK coming from Me a 392 owner,,, A engine I love. Now explain the ROI to me to develop a High Volume V8.... not all this exotic low volume stuff. Anyone thinks the Hemi is dead is wrong. I will continue on for years as a crate engine, Hell they build Hellphant now, you can still get crate hemi. There will always be V8 development, anyone claiming that is completely dead is wrong. It just isn't going to be certified for crash testing and emission in Vehicles moving forward.

Now sell me on the payback over the I6, I6 PHEV, and Banshee powertrains? Would it be faster, cheaper, more efficient, quicker, easier to maintain, easier to make quicker..... What is the ROI what am I selling beyond nostalgia and Exhaust note. Trackability?? meaning on a road course setup .... Banshee just added a transmission, the I6s will be better than the current offerings.

Honestly, we are hitting diminishing returns here. EV are doing sub 2 sec 0-60 and quarters in the low 8s. Your basically at the limits of traction which no ICE will manage better than EV. Then you have the I6 which already will be smoother, simpler, lighter, and more powerful. On their first go. HD is likely already has 600hp in it, add PHEV and AWD your beating the HellCat cars, Banshee is beat the Demons.

I am Nostalgic also I love the tone of a V8 but not at the cost of being embarrassed at the track. If they want to skuck work a modern V8 even with help with its corporate family members I am all for it. But there is going to have to be ROI.... I hope they can figure one out. In the meantime I am excited to see what the i6 does in something other than a 5 ton behemoth

patfromigh

Reaction score
As for the politicians and EV mandates.... They are perfectly happy if you can't charge your car and have to take public transport. "You will own nothing and love it."
I have seen the dystopian future. We were even warned about it the documentary Taken for a Ride nearly forty years ago. It won't be busses and trains, it will be the pod-car panacea. Streetcars and BRT aren't about transportation, they are about gentrification.It is no longer acceptable to carve up poor neighborhoods with highways. Now the elites use light rail projects to do that same thing.

MPE426HEMI

Reaction score
It seems like Dodge has already sealed my fate of future product from them. The way electricity rates are going in my area, I’m trying to get away from that also. The politicians won’t be happy until they have a public rebellion or a total collapse of democracy.

Users who are viewing this thread